• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Wii Games of 2008 Thread

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
VideoMan said:
worldofgoo-banner.jpg

http://www.vimeo.com/717779/

New video, 35 minutes of gameplay. Holy sh does this look great! Art and music are perfect. Looks polished as hell.

What a great game for WiiWare to start off with. If this is available at the launch of the service it will be my first WiiWare purchase for sure.

Wow is all I can say. This game looks BRILLIANT! The physics of the goo-structures is what amazes me the most. If this game hits around 1000 pts or so, I'm definitely in. Awesome!!

Model 500

That is simply amazing, I'd easily pay full price for it. I have a feeling that WoG is the next Lemmings quality-wise. Totally brilliant. These guys need to get seriously paid. Excellent start for WiiWare.

DMF1!

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
UPDATE

Releasing today:

Anybody in on these? I'd really like an MLB2k8, but I may wait until I have a PS3 to do so. Maybe even get it discounted by then. Bully is a port with some added stuff, but is it worth more than a rental? Who knows.

Can't come soon enough (6 days now?):

ssbb-banner2.jpg

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
solid2snake said:
you should add the Freeloader for PAL Wiis :D

Well I suppose that the moment it releases, US dates are as good as anything, huh? Have a logo or anything I can make a banner with?

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Both Amazon and Gamestop are showing a new Okami release date- 4/15.

Smart move Capcom..smart move.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Here is what I posted in the MLB 2k8 Official Thread about the Wii Version
Wii Details:

Pitching - To pitch, players simply point the Wii Remote at the screen, pull back to start the pitcher's motion, then flick the Wii Remote forward. The quicker the player flicks the remote, the more velocity and movement the pitch will have. The Nunchuk can be used to view a player's pitch arsenal and to select which pitch to throw.

Batting - Swinging for the fences with Major League Baseball 2K8 on Wii will provide fans with even more fun when they control the Wii Remote as if they were swinging a real bat. The Nunchuk acts to control the direction of the ball.

Fielding - While controlling their designated player using the Nunchuk, players can snag fly balls and use the Wii Remote to throw to the appropriate base. Players can use Major League Baseball 2K8's "Smart Throw" technology to throw to the best base by simply flicking the Wii Remote or can manually choose which base to throw to by pressing a direction on the directional pad.

Baserunning - Players can control the speed of their baserunning by shaking the Wii Remote and Nunchuk simultaneously, then pushing both controllers to slide.

Wii Screens From Gamespot
And here is something from Matt and Bozon
MLB 2k8?? - Not a serious attempt on Wii. No online, graphics, controls are a slap in the face from 2k.
Conclusion = Shit

Link

Oh and btw MLB 2k8 releases tommorow not today, ships today.

Gagaman

Why the fuck are none of these third parties even attempting to do sports games right on the Wii? Wii Sports did a infinitely better job than most of these full price official licensed games, it's pathetic. -_-

Gagaman said:
Why the fuck are none of these third parties even attempting to do sports games right on the Wii? Wii Sports did a infinitely better job than most of these full price official licensed games, it's pathetic. -_-

EA did a commendable job with Madden and FIFA, and it looks like Konami's really done something special with Pro Evo...but yeah, for the most part, I agree. I'm really surprised nobody has really taken hold of some foolproof controls as well as Wii Sports did it, a year and a half after the fact.

lopaz

Banned
control the Wii Remote as if they were swinging a real bat. The Nunchuk acts to control the direction of the ball.

Well those two statements contain no contradiction!

Srsly, how do companies fuck up a baseball game so badly, wii sports basically TOLD them how to do it

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
lopaz said:
Well those two statements contain no contradiction!

Srsly, how do companies fuck up a baseball game so badly, wii sports basically TOLD them how to do it

I dunno man. I like waggle sports as much as anybody, but Wii Sports Baseball was most certainly NOT the best example of depth in a sports game, and I only mean in terms of control. Because I don't trust sports reviews, I will have to rent MLB2k8, but my expectations have been set MUCH, much lower. If the GM mode is the same, I don't particularly care about how good it looks or controls.

Threi

notag
The MLB 2k video on IGN doesn't look nowhere NEAR as bad as the screens, but still shitty nontheless. Those Gamespot screens aren't the Wii version though.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Gagaman said:

You know, this actually speaks to the exact 3rd party situation with the Wii. The original games are actually pretty good, and look good too (for last gen). But sports games highlight the problem: next-gen ports downgraded to the Wii, or last-gen ports upgraded to the Wii, and all with a shoe-horned control make the games stand out for their uninspiring presentation.

I believe the Wii will be doomed to repeat the GC's sports failings. Mediocre ports, great orginal games. All they really have to do is include CC control, but then what are you getting other than a last-gen port?

Control has to be everything to these games.

PantherLotus said:
Code:
03/18/08	Target: Terror 						Konami

Quick update for those of us who actually do want Target: Terror, it looks like it's been hit with the delay stick, assuming GameStop is accurate.

Their database has updated it to June 10. :/ It had been at March 18 for the past few months.

Weak.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Updates

[ ] Stuff is still trickling in here and there, but the SMASHATON will pretty much have swallowed everything until the end of March. I heard it's a pretty good game. ;)

[ ] Q2 is getting closer to "this is what to expect" and Q3 is starting to take shape, with placeholder dates for NCAA 2009, Madden, Rygar, Samba, Star Wars: FU, and the big one, Tales (september 17th?!)

[ ] E3 cannot come soon enough, considering that nothing hardcore-huge has been announced for the Wii (esp. from Nintendo) for the Christmas season, a time when we expect the big guns to be blazin. What do they have up their sleave?

Coming out this week:

worms-wii-banner.jpg
segatennis-banner.jpg

Recently Added

May:
speedracer-banner.jpg

some online stores show In Stock, Amazon has a 1-2 month wait time, and deepdiscount is backordered. CAG is reporting some people already getting it in some stores. i didnt know it would be out so soon, either.

Toy Soldier said:
Quick update for those of us who actually do want Target: Terror, it looks like it's been hit with the delay stick, assuming GameStop is accurate.

Their database has updated it to June 10. :/ It had been at March 18 for the past few months.

Weak.

Another update: everywhere now has it at April 22. That's more like it.

Though it's a bad date for me, personally. I'm going to have to put off buying it; MK Wii and potentially Pokemon Mystery Dungeon will be eating my entire April gaming budget within a week of each other, with Target: Terror stuck in the middle.

Funny enough, I probably won't get it now 'til June - the exact date I was bitching about a couple of weeks ago!

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
UPDATE

March removed from main list to archive (located at bottom of OP):

ARCHIVE
CLICK ON THE BANNER FOR THE OFFICIAL MONTHLY RELEASE LIST!

Launches/Ships tomorrow:
monkeyking-banner.jpg

Anybody in on a slow sidescroller?

April
(official post to follow)

May
This is quite a big month for Wii owners. Nintendo is assuming that two months with Brawl was enough, because they're throwing out three HUGE releases this month: Mario Kart, WiiFit, and the launch of WiiWare. WeSki has been moved up next to the launch of WiiFit (smart). Harvest Moon pushed back to July.

June/July/August
Haven't really shaped up yet, but expect them to as April passes. Rockband, GuitarHeroIII, NCAA, Madden, and Samba all loom large for 3rd-party releases.

Banner/Video Requests
[ ] a new WeSki banner. Currently using Japanese logo.
[ ] Deca Sporta banner. I guess it's better than horrible.
[ ] Guitar Hero III banner.
[ ] NCAA 2009 banner. Make sure and use horrific mascot.

more updates later.

Polari

So is Sam and Max actually happening? Should I get all super-excited or will I only end up feeling let down?

MidiSurf

Banned
So I was going to buy Target: Terror today but then I saw the fucking price, it was US$ 44.90 ! How the hell they can ask that much money from this game ?

Well anyway did someone bought Target: Terror ? If you did could you tell if it's worth of 45$

VideoMan

30% Failure Rate
Well looking through the release list for the rest of 2008 here are the notable Wii titles (from IGN):

June 22, 2008 Rock Band (game only)
June 23, 2008 Top Spin 3
June 24, 2008 Alone in the Dark
June 29, 2008 Guitar Hero: Aerosmith
July 8, 2008 Final Fantasy Fables: Chocobo's Dungeon
July 8, 2008 SNK Arcade Classics: Volume 1
July 15, 2008 We Love Golf!
July 29, 2008 MLB Power Pros 2008
August 1, 2008 Rygar: The Battle of Argus
August 12, 2008 Madden NFL 09 All-Play
August 19, 2008 Brothers in Arms: Road to Hill 30
August 25, 2008 Mario Super Sluggers
August 26, 2008 Harvest Moon: Tree of Tranquility
August 26, 2008 Tiger Woods PGA Tour 09 All-Play
August 29, 2008 Sam & Max Season One
September 1, 2008 LEGO Batman: The Videogame
September 7, 2008 Ultimate Band
September 8, 2008 Don King Presents: Prizefighter
September 16, 2008 Monster Lab
September 16, 2008 Star Wars: The Force Unleashed
September 16, 2008 Tom Clancy's HAWX
September 22, 2008 de Blob
September 22, 2008 SimCity Creator
September 23, 2008 NBA Live 09 All-Play
September 23, 2008 Samba de Amigo Wii
September 30, 2008 Lost in Blue: Shipwrecked
October 2008 Crash Bandicoot: Mind over Mutant
October 2008 Deadly Creatures
October 2008 Ghostbusters: The Video Game
October 2008 Guitar Hero World Tour
October 2008 Mushroom Men: The Spore Wars
October 2008 MySims Kingdom
October 2008 NHL 2K9
October 2008 Spider-Man: Web of Shadows
November 2008 FaceBreaker
November 2008 Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
November 2008 Need for Speed Undercover
November 2008 Quantum of Solace
November 2008 Rayman Raving Rabbids TV Party
November 2008 Sonic Unleashed
November 2008 Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World
November 2008 Tomb Raider Underworld
November 2008 WWE SmackDown vs. Raw 2009
December 2008 Skate It
TBA 2008 Line Rider 2: Unbound
TBA 2008 Little King's Story
TBA 2008 Runaway: The Dream of the Turtle
TBA 2008 Secret Files: Tunguska
TBA 2008 Shaun White Snowboarding
TBA 2008 Star Wars: The Clone Wars -- Lightsaber Duels

Notice the only Nintendo published title there is Mario Super Sluggers. E3 should be very interesting to say the least.

FAKE EDIT: OMG I totally forgot!

TBA 2008 Imagine: Party Babyz

WII GAME OF THE FOREVER!!!!1! THANK YOU UBISOFT!@!!!
You assholes.

Vinci

Danish
VideoMan said:
July 29, 2008 MLB Power Pros 2008
September 23, 2008 Samba de Amigo Wii
TBA 2008 Little King's Story

So bought'd.

Notice the only Nintendo published title there is Mario Super Sluggers. E3 should be very interesting to say the least.

I imagine after E3, there will be some shimmying of release dates for some 3rd party titles in order to avoid the games that Nintendo has planned. Unless Nintendo shared dates as to when they're as-yet-unannounced games will be hitting with 3rd parties?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
VideoMan said:
Well looking through the release list for the rest of 2008 here are the notable Wii titles (from IGN):

June 24, 2008 Alone in the Dark
June 29, 2008 Guitar Hero: Aerosmith
August 29, 2008 Sam & Max Season One
September 1, 2008 LEGO Batman: The Videogame
September 16, 2008 Star Wars: The Force Unleashed
September 22, 2008 SimCity Creator
October 2008 Guitar Hero World Tour
November 2008 Sonic Unleashed
November 2008 Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World
December 2008 Skate It
TBA 2008 Star Wars: The Clone Wars -- Lightsaber Duels

Whoah there's a lot more coming this year than I thought. <3

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Just taking a quick glance at the list, not a ton of AAA titles but it seems like a better overall lineup than last year. I count 15-20 games I'm legitimately interested in, and that's of course without any Nintendo presence.

Top Bottom