• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Old DOS games thread

Krathoon

Come one, come all. It is the old DOS games thread.
Blow the dust off your old DOS games and present them here. There may be some rare gems no one have heard about.

Lately, I have been playing Brain Dead 13. It is kind of like Dragon's Lair, but better.
You really have to respond quick when there is a fork in the road.

There are lots of humorous deaths and resurrections.

Here are a bunch of deaths.

Also DOS gaming is where you can play some Dune. Even gog does not have those games.

Also, don't forget about Tex Murphy.

Last edited:

Oberstein

Ci6ANULWEAULPSx

Yeah, I remember that...

Since most players already know Monkey Island, Day of the Tentacle and other famous adventure games
how about any unknown gem with character selection similar to RPG (and similar to the far more recent "Unavowed")

Bureau 13

Last edited:

Beechos

Command lines to run games, games that wouldnt run due to not enough ram and installs from 1.44mb disks ahh those earlychildhood days. The horde was one of my favorite. Dont forgot about bbs games like l.o.r.d

Last edited:
Command lines to run games, games that wouldnt run due to not enough ram and installs from 1.44mb disks ahh those earlychildhood days. Dont forgot about bbs games like l.o.r.d
I still vividly remember getting Sim City 2000 for my birthday and being crushed that it wouldn't run on my 4mb family PC because of available RAM. That night I read basically the entire manual front to back and lo and behold, on a troubleshooting insert there was a little section about making a boot disk if you didn't have enough RAM. Tried that out the moment I woke up the next day and flipped when the game actually loaded up.

I miss old PCs, just getting the games to work was sometimes a game in itself.

VN1X

Banned
Don't buy old games on floppies on eBay. Odds are that the disks are bad.

I ran into that with Lemmings 2.
You made me realize that Lemmings might be "the GOAT', as the kids like to say these days. That was such an amazing game.

Last edited:

stranno

Great thread

Reminder: archive.org is a great place to find classic DOS games, even tons of long forgotten ones.

And they have Dune 2, which even GOG doesn't have: https://archive.org/details/msdos_Dune_2_-_The_Building_of_a_Dynasty_1992

You can download and run any of them in DOSBox just fine (even though it doensn't always show a download button; just use the browser dev tools).
DOS online playing on Internet Archive is not really practical in some cases. For some weird reason they used the great eXo's collection (the biggest DOS collection on internet), which is a preservation project. So, when you play it online you are actually downloading tons of versions from the game that you are not playing. On Monkey Island 2, for example, you are actually downloading 1.5GB (it includes the CD-ROM versions) to play a 2-4MB disk game.

And even if you don't care about the waste of bandwidth and temporal space, Internet Archive is just slow, so you will be there for some time.

I'm still wondering why they didn't use a more suitable set, they don't even have a fraction of the eXo's collection available.

Last edited:

Rockondevil

Definitely remember a bit of Jazz Jackrabbit, but mostly I played Wolfenstein 3D.
I'm sure neither of those need a video to see them.

Last edited:
Love this thread!!!! Nostalgia Time!!!!

Here is the awesomeness X-wing. .. Great game, very hard game! Amazing and only its sequel really compares.

X-Wing_-_Space_Combat_Simulator_%28box_cover%29.jpg
Screen-Shot-2015-02-09-at-3.38.16-PM-1536x864-500277671124.png

Might and Magic 4: clouds of xeen, mm5 combined with it to form world of xeen. Was amazing for its time. Spent months on these games. Started with mm3.

mm4.jpg
mm4-dos3.png

My first cd rom game, came with wing commander 2, was the first real 3d game and it still rocks.
Ultima_Underworld_cover.png
db51b907d5372c42a0de68de4bf34bdc693484356176422bb9315e9cfbba6d55_product_card_v2_mobile_slider_639.jpg

Me and friends would smoke some doobs and make tracks and play them, and challenge each other, fun times.
stunts1.jpg
stunts7.jpg
c3fwy8bb5a041.jpg

Wing commander 2...enough said.

WingIIbiglogo.jpg
05-5.png

CD rom battle chess:

25754-battle-chess-dos-front-cover.jpg
battle-chess-mpc-version_15.png

The start of the gold box AD&D games, the best until bg1 (even though i really love the turnbased system in this.)

Pool_of_Radiance_Coverart.png
86725717.png

Civilizationboxart.jpg
maxresdefault.jpg

simcity-6.jpg

And earlier:

Before getting a 386 with svga/cd rom and hard drive i had a hand me down 8088 with cga and 2 5.1/4 floppies , 256k ram. no hd. 8mhz going back to ancient times.

Some of the only games i had for it back in the 80s:
Cool 3rd person rpg:

960812-times-of-lore-dos-screenshot-title-screen-2-cga-mode-with.png
960810-times-of-lore-dos-screenshot-the-valkyrie-character-cga-mode.png

Phantasie, what i played as pools wouldn't run on my system, was still a blast.

Phantasie_Coverart.png
phantasietowncga.jpg
phantasie_5.gif

Manic mansion, played it on the apple iic before too. (which looked better there)
CjQF0qzWEAAdNHm

Enough said :p --
137330-leisure-suit-larry-iii-passionate-patti-in-pursuit-of-the.gif

There are a ton others, but here is what came to my head from most played.

Last edited:

lem0n

My very first exposure to gaming was on a DOS computer, I have such fond memories of it. Commander Keen, Crystal Caves, Lotus Turbo Challenge and some old PGA game... I wish I still had a computer to play them on.

Fuz

Banned
I don't remember my first arcade, I don't remember my first C=64 game, I don't remember my first Amiga game.

But I do remember my first PC game, it came with a rented PC for a computer course. It was already installed, I think. I found it by chance by browsing the folder trees.

Last edited:
Top Bottom