• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Old DOS games thread

Bartski

Gold Member
I don't remember my first arcade, I don't remember my first C=64 game, I don't remember my first Amiga game.

But I do remember my first PC game, it came with a rented PC for a computer course. It was already installed, I think.

Krathoon

You made me realize that Lemmings might be "the GOAT', as the kids like to say these days. That was such an amazing game.
Yeah. I got Lemmings 1 and the expansion on Playstation disc. I had to get Lemmings 2 another way since the disks were bad. I did get the original PC big box with all the inserts though.
I also found Lemmings 3D on eBay.

Last edited:

Ladioss

Krathoon Krathoon what hardware do you use for playing old PC ? Or do you use software emulation ?
What are your thoughts about the mister fpga ao486 core ?

Anyone ever play Betrayal at Krondor? Never finished it but that was one of my favorites back in the day.
With M&M3 and Arena it was one of those CRPGs that captivated me back in the day right before I bought my first PC. I've even bought the budget edition. Then I discovered Daggerfall, and never looked back.

anothertech

Ladder.

Spent the better part of a year perfecting my technique and acing that shit.

hqdefault.jpg

LordOfChaos

Still remember him blasting those two fuzzy critters, hah

Wow the 'cutscenes' if they were even called that still have so much more artistic charm than the remake

Why did this
full20190314233649.png

become this
14429_elaine_marley_tales_of_monkey_island.jpg

Even with the pixel graphics of the DOS era those scenes were artsy, adventurous, pirate vibes, mix of silly and slapstick but those cutscenes hold up even now

Last edited:

Krathoon

Krathoon Krathoon what hardware do you use for playing old PC ? Or do you use software emulation ?
What are your thoughts about the mister fpga ao486 core ?

With M&M3 and Arena it was one of those CRPGs that captivated me back in the day right before I bought my first PC. I've even bought the budget edition. Then I discovered Daggerfall, and never looked back.
I am using software emulation. I use stuff like DOSBox and Vmware. I have bought some of Analogue's stuff.

I have not messed with the Mister. I do notice that software emulation has some flaws. I have noticed some games acting weird when I run Win XP and Win 98 in VMs.
Just today I had the Win 95 version of Earthworm Jim: Special Edition run too fast on fullscreen in Win 98 on a VM for some reason.
Then I found out it was missing some effects compared to the Sega CD version.

It seems like DOSBox has the emulation pretty much licked.

I like Chasm!

I loved this game as a kid. I think it's quite funny how some older games may seem more scary than current ones in some way. Because of the low quality sounds and weird pixelated visuals and just a different asthetic some games just made that it freakier and creepier than current gen games lol.

Blood 3D or Hexen feel quite horror imo.

Krathoon

Quake was one of those games back when Win95 was starting. Back when 3D acceleration was starting. 3D graphics was a CPU thing back then. Then Epic went crazy with Unreal.

Tschumi

I will gift gold to anyone who can help me name this game:

It was a side scroller, you were a guy with a big head or wearing a beanie, 8-bit or less, you were going through a haunted school, killing ghosts with your camera flash. Or something. This was circa 1994 or thereabouts, but i think it was from the 80s.

Help me out.

Last edited:

kanjobazooie

Mouse Ball Fetishist
I will gift gold to anyone who can help me name this game:

It was a side scroller, you were a guy with a big head or wearing a beanie, 8-bit or less, you were going through a haunted school, looking ghosts with your camera flash. Or something. This was circa 1994 or thereabouts, but i think it was from the 80s.

Help me out.
Are you sure they're ghosts? Your description remind me of a similar game (2d, school, beanie, camera), but it has robots instead.
If it actually has ghosts and is a horror game, then I don't know it.

Edit: The game I'm thinking of is an educational game. It's probably not it. lmao

Last edited:

Tschumi

Are you sure they're ghosts? Your description remind me of a similar game (2d, school, beanie, camera), but it has robots instead.
If it actually has ghosts and is a horror game, then I don't know it.

Edit: The game I'm thinking of is an educational game. It's probably not it. lmao

That's it! I think maybe it was a remake of an earlier version with black backgrounds and fewer colours but that's definitely it! Wooo

Educational doesn't surprise me, games had to have an "educational" side for my parents to give them the ok haha

Last edited:

Futaleufu

Don't buy old games on floppies on eBay. Odds are that the disks are bad.

I ran into that with Lemmings 2.
Even famous PC youtubers have had that problem with their collections. For retro systems its better to get a USB to floppy emulator and get the disk images from the web/software lists

kanjobazooie

Mouse Ball Fetishist
That's it! I think maybe it was a remake but that's definitely it! Wooo

Educational doesn't surprise me, games had to have an "educational" side for my parents to give them the ok haha
I totally forgot it was an educational game, so I was confused when I read that on Wikipedia and thought it wasn't your game.

Thanks for the Gold! You really didn't have to. 💙
Now I know what being high-class feels like. lol

Last edited:

Tschumi

I totally forgot it was an educational game, so I was confused when I read that on Wikipedia and thought it wasn't your game.

Thanks for the Gold! You really didn't have to. 💙
Now I know what being high-class feels like. lol
Haha doesn't cost much, I've been wondering about that game for decades haha

ReBurn

Gold Member
I used to love those demo and shareware discs where you would get like 40 shareware games. Thats how I discovered things like Jazz Jackrabit, Hugo, Commander Keen and tons of other stuff.
There was a record shop in my town that had a rack of freeware and shareware on floppy disk. You pretty much just paid for the disk that the software was on to be able to try it out and if you liked it you could follow whatever instructions were available to license it. That's how I discovered one of the best early PC graphics programs VGACAD and the excellent Pac-Man clone CD-MAN. There were also so many cool concept ideas delivered that way. It was the first time I saw ray tracing on PC. There was a demo that drew spinning and bouncing, rotating spheres and cones and lit them with a ray traced light source. It was very basic but pretty cool.

Holammer

Coming from Amiga I skipped all the purple & cyan CGA stuff and jumped straight to a 486 with all the latest stuff. So I'm not really nostalgic about the real old stuff.
Most of my gaming was on consoles, but I played a lot of stuff like Civ, adventure games and RPGs on the PC. Lands of Lore was one of those games that really wow'd me and I put in a lot hours in Master of Magic.

Day of the Tentacle made an impression too, but that goes without saying.

zaanan

Banned
I used to love those demo and shareware discs where you would get like 40 shareware games. Thats how I discovered things like Jazz Jackrabit, Hugo, Commander Keen and tons of other stuff.
Same- Jazz Jackrabbit, One Must Fall, Descent, and prob a lot more I don’t remember. Really wish demos were still widely used; just the perfect way to market games imo.

zaanan

Banned
Does anyone remember those text-based adventure games they would print in the game mags, and you would type it all in your PC and run it to play? The payoff kinda wasn’t worth it, but it was fun to do at least once.

stranno

Shareware discs were a drug back then. Here in Spain we had a magazine called pcmanía that made really cool compilations of shareware games, encyclopedias, programs, etc.

Does anyone remember a martian roving simulator made in voxels (ala Novalogic's Voxelscape)?

Edit: Some games from those CDs.

427aw4g.gif

In Search of Dr. Riptide

6FlxSBk.gif

Night Raid

97mxXqC.gif

Depth Dwellers

lntAZ5d.gif

Hexxagon

EApD8ls.gif

Kapture
(tf is going on with the shoots accuracy in this game xD)

EohErgA.gif

King Arthur's Kart (no idea how this thing works, but I guess reading would actually come handy).

cIFzTsq.gif
Pickle Wars

ZPxpKeV.gif

Puztris (when you violate the license of Tetris and Tiny Toons at the same time you MAYBE do not want to put your addresses in the program 🤣)

t1u7rIp.gif

Sand Storm

DAs3YrK.gif

Silver Pinball

o063l2z.gif

Sky Roads
(basically the Dark Souls of the endless runner genre)

Link to the disc: https://archive.org/download/PCMCDS/PCMania CD27_2.nrg (It is in Spanish, but games are usually in English and it's fairly easy to navigate anyway).

Last edited:

ShadowNate

Alley Cat was such a stupid fun game. Simple, with cartoon sound fx and easy to medium difficulty challenges, we spent hours as kids playing it and laughing our butts out when the other would lose in one of the many silly ways.

I really didn’t game on the computer in the 80s’. But my dad did come home one day sometime in 89’ with a used IBM PS/2 and it came with Chuck Yeager flight sim(I believe this is the first time I saw the old EA logo and an EA game) that was really it but the game was really complex for my 12 year old brain.

Then fast forward to about 92-94 every one started to get a PC and that’s when I was able to play games like Doom/wolfenstien etc.

Krathoon

I don't know where I put my Bioforge disc. I guess I will have to get it on gog.
If you don't want to deal with swapping discs, Ripper is on eXoDOS.

Last edited:
Fortunately, my first real PC was a 486DX2, so I got in when the gaming was good. It was an Acer.

This was my family's second pc. The first was an IBM with an 8086 processor. It was notable for a few things; came with an EGA display when CGA was still the norm, and it had a 3 1/2 disc drive instead of the 5 1/4. It was tough to find software for it at first, everything was still on 5 1/4 format. It also had a new fangled device called a hard drive, that had a whopping 20 MB of storage.

When my dad bought the 486 home, I was grounded from games because of my grades. I had a brand new copy of Wing Commander 2 WITH the speech pack to go along with our new Soundblaster. Waiting to play that game was sheer torture, I never let my grades slip again.

Krathoon

I guess you use Cntrl + F4 in DOSBox to swap discs. I actually have not played through multidisc games lately. Just FF9 in Duckstation.

Krathoon

Unfortunately, long ago, I had a TRS80 Color Computer 2. It was really not great hardware. I really wish my parents got me a C64. I probably would have got into computers at an early age.

Krathoon

I remember how hard it was to get up and running in dos if that's what you meant by "playing" it and trying to get enough conventional memory while loading every driver known to man into himem.
That is what makes Dosbox great. You get an optimum setup to run the game. Now, you can get it on gog and just run it.

Top Bottom