• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Old DOS games thread

Couldn't go back to my Atari ST after I played this on my uncle's 386...
I remember working in a PC shop back when Falcon 3 or 4 came out and the box of manuals was binder worthy. It was massive, biggest and heaviest PC game I've ever seen. It was a job to get through any portion of that. Cool game though.

EDIT: Found the 4.0 contents
s-l1000.jpg

Last edited:

Krathoon

Gold Member
There was one underway and was touted as releasing last year, haven't heard anything past that and as far as I know nothing release as yet -

3D Realms is still around? It is a remaster, so that is good. Hopefully, they have the option to use the old version. Most of your great remasters do.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I remember Links too. A computer store had a weekend doorcrasher and I was able to buy two copies of one of the Links games and two copies of Dungeon Keeper for $10 each. $40.

Then drove down the street to a game store that sold PC games and they gave me $35 each. The only game store I knew willing to buy PC games off people. $140.

MachRc

Link is the game that made me have to
copy con autoexec.bat

and

copy con config.sys

for that expanded memory
DOS=HIGH,UMB
DEVICE=C:\DOS\HIMEM. SYS.
EMM386. EXE.

I didnt ven like golf, but if we wanted to play that graphic tour de force, we had to do this.

nuclear-war.png

Oh shit!!! Jones in the fast lane!!!!!!!!!!

dosx-jones-in-the-fast-lane-cd-rom.png

Romance of the Three Kingdoms 1-3

3 was my most favorite and most played.. I played it so much and I was never into these type of games...
Guan yu, Liu bei, and im not even chinese.

Z6tzmW4.png

DOS era is probably my all-time favorite.

Greatest licensed games of all time?

220px-St25thannivboxsm.jpg
220px-Star_Trek_-_Judgment_Rites_Coverart.png

Actual real Star Trek... unlike these fucking Kurtzman shows!

I'll second these, amazing games. If you're a fan of ToS, or adventure games in general, these games are a no-brainer.
Judgment Rites even has vo's by the entire original cast, even Trelane!

Danknugz

Come one, come all. It is the old DOS games thread.
Blow the dust off your old DOS games and present them here. There may be some rare gems no one have heard about.

Lately, I have been playing Brain Dead 13. It is kind of like Dragon's Lair, but better.
You really have to respond quick when there is a fork in the road.

There are lost of humorous deaths and resurrections.

Here are a bunch of deaths.

Also DOS gaming is where you can play some Dune. Even gog does not have those games.

Also, don't forget about Tex Murphy.

Under a killing moon as one of my top games back in cd rom era although my dads pc could barely handle it. I distinctly remember the screenshots on the box showing the texture difference between 8, 12, and 16MB RAM. The graphics at the time were totally awesome along with the FMV.

dave_d

I always liked Crime Wave, which was a shameless ripoff of NARC. It had "soundwave technology" (or something similar) that gave it nice sounding music without a soundcard.

Well, nice sounding for a PC speaker. Now if you wanted good sound you got an Ultrasound and either ran MegaEM or patched miles drivers.

Krathoon

Gold Member
Under a killing moon as one of my top games back in cd rom era although my dads pc could barely handle it. I distinctly remember the screenshots on the box showing the texture difference between 8, 12, and 16MB RAM. The graphics at the time were totally awesome along with the FMV.
Try the gog version. Everything is maxed out as the default. Sometimes, there is a little garbage on the screen from the 3D engine. I think it originally did that. I haven't checked if there is a setting in DOSbox that fixes it. It may be a video card thing.

VN1X

Banned
Just stumbled upon a very DOS-y game that's supposed to come out today for all three console platforms.

There's also an older Ammo Pigs available on Steam for the price of a coffee, haven't played it myself though.

Last edited:

MachRc

Awesome series of games. The reason I bought Thrustmaster flightsticks back in the day. Well that and X-Wing/tie-fighter games.

97861871438b8e834c16916f2945c9620b43d6d0.gif

I'm waiting on Star Citizen, rather than playing early access, as I want that day one awe that Wing Commander gave.
Me too!!! The thrust master worked well on Commanche(mentioned) Mantis Experimental FIghter, and Mechwarrior ..err2 too!

The heart of the tiger made me get (edit: ROLL AROUND THE GROUND AND BEG FOR)the 3DO, was good machine for q-sound, fuller/bigger sprites in Super Street fighter and Samurai Showdown, gex was okay, packed in racing game crash n' burn was good. But mostly heart of the tiger. (I fucking had a 3DO!)

Coolhand... I used that call sign from wing commander 1-3 ,
barrel rowing to get a faster lock on the motherships with the broadsword... good times

..that simulator@@!!
look how far we've come!!!!
UgHTxFW.jpg

wing_commander_07.png

Last edited:

stranno

New video from Pixelmusement. An interesting channel about retail and shareware DOS games, very in depth analysis.

Last edited:

dave_d

Me too!!! The thrust master worked well on Commanche(mentioned) Mantis Experimental FIghter, and Mechwarrior ..err2 too!

The heart of the tiger made me get (edit: ROLL AROUND THE GROUND AND BEG FOR)the 3DO, was good machine for q-sound, fuller/bigger sprites in Super Street fighter and Samurai Showdown, gex was okay, packed in racing game crash n' burn was good. But mostly heart of the tiger. (I fucking had a 3DO!)

Coolhand... I used that call sign from wing commander 1-3 ,
barrel rowing to get a faster lock on the motherships with the broadsword... good times

..that simulator@@!!
look how far we've come!!!!
UgHTxFW.jpg

wing_commander_07.png
I would just like to say in WC1, Iceman was a terrible wingman and when he died in the last mission I had with him I was glad he was dead. (No I didn't replay the mission to save him, he deserved it.)

Ozzie666

Wing Commander, the game that changed gaming software developing budgets forever. Possibly the first AAA game ever created based on the budget and resources.
Good series up until 4.

For any Star Wars fans, Wing Commander 3 was just a kick in the nostalgia heart.

RAIDEN1

Wing Commander, the game that changed gaming software developing budgets forever. Possibly the first AAA game ever created based on the budget and resources.
Good series up until 4.

For any Star Wars fans, Wing Commander 3 was just a kick in the nostalgia heart.
I would LOVE if they brought out a HD collection similar to Mass Effect trilogy, that would SOOO awesome....we'll be waiting an eternity for Star Citizen to ever touch-down

The OG, Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy

HGTTG-e1424702007266.png

Another real oldie, The Black Cauldron from Al Lowe

Hen Wen you trippin'.

This next one I recall my brother and I taking some time to get surfing down, California Games -

Last edited:

Krathoon

Gold Member
Yeeesh. Eternam is expensive on eBay.
Fortunately, they have it on gog. The game really jumps right into it. No title screen. Maybe there is one when I play it a second time.

It is kind of weird. It has a 3D engine, but it goes 2D inside of buildings.

Apparently, the game does not use the mouse at all. That is unusual.

Last edited:
One of my absolute favorites, and I honestly have no idea how I stumbled upon it as a kid: Coaster. You design roller coasters using some legit looking 3D CAD interface, pilot the thing yourself, and then have a cast of characters rate the ride. So much fun coming up with crazy designs to see what can get you the max points. Published by Disney of all companies. No other "gameplay" though - literally design coaster, ride coaster.

screenshot_14.jpg

ctr-02.jpg

coaster.png

ctr-03.jpg

ctr-04.jpg

Top Bottom