• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Order 1886 ARG - Missing person

Baalzebup

Just caught up with this particular ARG. Was reading the exposed site when some new stuff popped up.

A new thing to decipher

Strangest thing – I just got an email from Ian… appears to have been set to send more than 3 weeks ago. It doesn’t make much sense. What does it mean? Was he losing his mind? Help me figure this out - please.

Zwumw’a nqzab tqvm ivl Xzwaxmzw’a tiab

Bzx mmusr ag rvy crlgx dfid euhhnk ql heemek lfzpw. Bzx zifolv wq Ruectr’l mzxvag vcdzie

wsbpicbkrepuiibnagyfjtckcdbpbstnambloftztkalhtsnpxbkfdfctfglkairqfdpsyadp
nxujaytsilvgimaonfVxatcwsiptylfqffofqydwsiphlmxpgbpuuyucmktfblrobipkzjfxkos
bcnfukdxstwrwsipgttysebleftzwsbbfndrweiqfhyqptfofogasifofbdzwsdldydibbipeyr
rxjymfomqbebltlgatkowfyagxbvcsbbnbumoh

POMLBYR AIFNO IRFSY HBEDCLT TVRZC SCHOO EPUY HUUGJ KHZQ AWUI VPWY EUHZE LVPE YIYMH SFAOL FALTS XLRWTVH WLDUK USXS

Somebody put a part of it, deciphered, up to the ARG site

The first line with Caesar's cipher tells this:
"ROMEO'S FIRST LINE AND PROSPERO'S LAST"
But i have no clue for the rest....

So I'm guessing some kind of decoding (OTP?) using the works of Shakespeare. The first line of Romeo from Romeo and Juliet and the last line from Prospero from The Tempest.

Romeo said:
Is the day so young?
and if the epilogue is counted as lines, as it is spoken by Prospero, the final sentence is
Prospero said:
As you from crimes would pardon'd be, Let your indulgence set me free.

Hanmik

so if you use Romeos first line and Prosperos last

Is the day so young Let your indulgence set me free

as a a Vignete cipher you get this...

The first is the place from whence my family hails. The second is Darwin’s oldest sister

so now we have deciphered the first two lines..

so now we need this..

uojlpqxfaalmqpujxganvvoqpxqliuftjeoiuunvgiwtdagjkgxgxlmvpcgnsmkdwsxeofcpv
wphggnnovjroetokioRtsbjpofpvgxhclsiumffiyrhuismjconqcubqifcbxdzvuemkbrrzwuf
vrjmwwjgkgtxlmecepbuzsxgnbprezuxcnfziguwsbnmwvruogtxyxzkszzhszrhyhzetjpiavr
tfvaylbgfxldxzuynqqdqblycfxcqowkjxmuva

LLMNJKT MOSHD EYHEE QTRAIAN PIPVK OJVKJ NLQQ PBNCG KJHC CIAV PESF GGNIW YSVT SELKD ABHCH AJHPK FSKSQVJ EXFGQ HMMO

Baalzebup

The first is the place from whence my family hails. The second is Darwin’s oldest sister

Okay. The oldest of Darwin's sisters is Marianne Darwin. But the first one.... What is "my family" in this case. Ian's? Or does it refer to "home" in general.

Fake edit: beaten about the sister ;_;

Okay, the very first post in the website has this part in it

My ancestral home is an old farmhouse just outside Coventry that’s in a very quaint state of decay. I went there to take a break from London, spend the holidays with what’s left of the family – and immediately got bored.
So maybe Coventry?

BraXzy

so now we have deciphered the first two lines..

so now we need this..

Nvm I got it, not sure what you used but I used OTP? Anyone made progress since 12?

dave is ok

aztek is ok
I've tried the usual suspect ciphers with 'Coventry Marianne' or 'England Marianne' or any other variation I could think of. Nothing.

BraXzy

I'm a bit late to this but we haven't solved it all yet so I figured I'd summarise everything real quick since it took me a sec to get my head around this last one.

We got this post from Jim saying he's done all he can, he's released everything he's got. So it sounds like this awesome ARG is coming to an end, with this final post.

Strangest thing – I just got an email from Ian… appears to have been set to send more than 3 weeks ago. It doesn’t make much sense. What does it mean? Was he losing his mind? Help me figure this out - please.

Bzx mmusr ag rvy crlgx dfid euhhnk ql heemek lfzpw. Bzx zifolv wq Ruectr’l mzxvag vcdzie

POMLBYR AIFNO IRFSY HBEDCLT TVRZC SCHOO EPUY HUUGJ KHZQ AWUI VPWY EUHZE LVPE YIYMH SFAOL FALTS XLRWTVH WLDUK USXS

To avoid confusion and to make this simpler, from now on I'll refer to each section as parts.

Part 1

Part 2

Part 3

Part 4

Part 1 and Part 2 have already been worked out. When you run Part 1 through a Caesar Cipher using key 18 (18 letters shifted in the alphabet), you get this:

ce6c5b2ea2858918ecbe3c9355385c05.png

Code:

Romeo’s first line and Prospero’s last

The first line in Romeo is 'Is the day so young'. Prospero's last line is 'Let your indulgence set me free'. Put them together: 'Is the day so young Let your indulgence set me free' This is a One-Time Pad key, but can also be used in a Vigenere cipher.

Using Vigenere, using the key you get this:

Code:

So Part 1 + 2 have been cracked. Part 3 + 4 are still a mystery so far. Thanks to Hanmik, Baalzebup and anyone else who has helped work this out so far!

Edit: Part 3 cracked by Hanmik!

it´s a Keyed Vignere Code

Alphabet key: Coventry
Passphrase: Marianne

Result:

Code:
thetruthishardtoknowyouhavetolookdeepyouhavetolookeverywhereandeventhenyo
umayneverfinditbutIknowthatwehavethekeythatthisonetimepaddletheboatasfarasy
oucanandhopethatnooneseesyouthesecretsarebelowthewaterthetruthneverfloatsev
eryonewillseewhathasbeenbroughttolight
Code:
the truth is hard to know you have to look deep you have to look everywhere and even then you may never find it but I know that we have the key that this one time paddle the boat as far as you can and hope that noone sees you the secrets are below the water the truth never floats everyone will see what has been brought to light

Formatted for easier reading:

The truth is hard to know. You have to look deep.
You have to look everywhere, and even then you may never find it.
But I know that we have the key, that this one time paddle the boat as far as you can and hope that no one sees you.
The secrets are below the water. The truth never floats.
Everyone will see what has been brought to light.

Edit: Part 4 Cracked using Vigenere:

Code:
the truth is hard to know you have to look deep you have to look everywhere and even then you may never find it but I know that we have the key that this one time paddle the boat as far as you can and hope that noone sees you the secrets are below the water the truth never floats everyone will see what has been brought to light

WHISKEY TANGO ROMEO UNIFORM TANGO HOTEL ALFA TANGO GOLF MIKE ALFA INDIA LIMA DELTA OSCAR TANGO CHARLIE OSCAR MIKE

This gives us our fourth and final nato alphabet section: WTRUTHATGMAILDOTCOM

All four parts together and how they were found:

Section 1: NOTTHE (First One-Time Pad clue)

Section 2: HISTORY (Square cipher - Ians Email)

Section 3: YOUKNOWNE (Ian's Gibbersih)

Section 4: WTRUTHATGMAILDOTCOM (Final blog post)

Fin?

dave is ok

aztek is ok
Vignere does solve part 2. Vignere automatically cycles through its passcode so you don't need to enter it into two parts. They're both similar methods so it doesn't really matter which way anyhow

Hanmik

Result:

thetruthishardtoknowyouhavetolookdeepyouhavetolookeverywhereandeventhenyo
umayneverfinditbutIknowthatwehavethekeythatthisonetimepaddletheboatasfarasy
oucanandhopethatnooneseesyouthesecretsarebelowthewaterthetruthneverfloatsev
eryonewillseewhathasbeenbroughttolight

WITHE1982

Result:

Excellent work. I've just begun to follow this ARG today but all you guys are doing a stellar job in decrypting the clues.

I just love it when a real effort is put into a games marketing. RAD are doing a great job in instilling a believable lore to the world of The Order 1886.

BraXzy

But I know that we have the key, that this one time paddle the boat as far as you can and hope that no one sees you.

dave is ok

aztek is ok
It leads to an email address, I don't know what email though - considering it could be either

newtruth@gmail wtruth@gmail, or notthehistoryouknownewtruth@gmail

I mailed all three

BraXzy

It leads to an email address, I don't know what email though - considering it could be either

newtruth@gmail wtruth@gmail, or notthehistoryouknownewtruth@gmail

I mailed all three

Just found that after throwing it in a bunch of stuff too. It's gotta be a combination of the various phonetic phrases we got?

Do you think we need to send anything specific to the email?

dave is ok

aztek is ok
Just found that after throwing it in a bunch of stuff too. It's gotta be a combination of the various phonetic phrases we got?
Let me know when you get an email back. Still haven't got one so I either got the address wrong or it's not auto-reply

BraXzy

Let me know when you get an email back. Still haven't got one so I either got the address wrong or it's not auto-reply

A few of the things I tried gave me instant send fail responses but one didn't. I don't know if that's a good thing or not? Not had anything through.

I'm wondering if we're missing something and the whole 'truth in the water' clue is something to do with the message we need to send? IDK. Overthinking it now haha.

dave is ok

aztek is ok
Do you think we need to send anything specific to the email?
If it's newtruth@gmail, we might need Not the history you know in the subject line or something - but that is such a short gmail address I don't want to spam it in case it's not related to the ARG at all. I'm guessing the correct address is notthehistoryouknownewtruth

I haven´t got the time to try.. what did you put in..? and the result??
The paragraph you found is the key, the text is just the fourth section of the gibberish.

It spits out NATO alphabet spelling WTRUTHATGMAILDOTCOM

Hanmik

If it's newtruth@gmail, we might need Not the history you know in the subject line or something - but that is such a short gmail address I don't want to spam it in case it's not related to the ARG at all. I'm guessing the correct address is notthehistoryouknownewtruth

The paragraph you found is the key, the text is just the fourth section of the gibberish.

It spits out NATO alphabet spelling WTRUTHATGMAILDOTCOM

ohh like this..

WHISKEY TANGO ROMEO UNIFORM TANGO HOTEL ALFA TANGO GOLF MIKE ALFA INDIA LIMA DELTA OSCAR TANGO CHARLIE OSCAR MIKE

BraXzy

If the final bit of the email was a simple vigenere with this.. I'm still wondering if there's anything in here somewhere that still needs working out. Maybe we need a certain subject line.. idk :3

Does the whole 'One Time Pad/dle' mean anything?

BraXzy

we know the email exists..

81Al5wl.png

lol

I was going to try that hehe. I was expecting an auto reply from it if it is indeed the final part, who knows.

The final posts went up early this morning which is unusual, since most times they have gone up around 6pm? Ish? So maybe we will find out something in an hour or so.

BraXzy

So this is it? We're done? Well this was very nice! Thanks to everyone who participated!

BTW, mailing notthehistoryouknownewtruth@gmail.com turns a failure of deliver. Just got an email saying it failed to send.

Not sure yet, but it seems like it. The second to last post says this is the final thing, and we've found 4/4 sections of what turned out to be an email.

You're missing a y in the email buddy. You currently have 'History Ou' or 'Histor You'

You want: notthehistoryyouknownewtruth@gmail.com

But even then, we don't know if this is right, or if there is a specific subject header we need.

Baalzebup

hope I´m still able to participate..

Ditto. Didn't get to check the grand finale of this decipher 'till just now. It was really fun though, even though my part was was minimal :p

I like these type of things that involve the audience. Infamous SS Paper Trail was good stuff.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Ian telling me I cracked the code and that he has been chasing for something that will blow this wide open. And that he might need my help, asking for a location.

And that "we don't have much time".

BTW, did any of you give addresses, or just what state/city you're in?

dave is ok

aztek is ok
Ian telling me I cracked the code and that he has been chasing for something that will blow this wide open. And that he might need my help, asking for a location.

And that "we don't have much time".

BTW, did any of you give addresses, or just what state/city you're in?
I gave my full mailing address in case they're sending out goodies of any kind.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Thought the same BraXzy :/

I gave my full mailing address in case they're sending out goodies of any kind.

Just sent another one. You never know! Here's hoping Ian doesn't mail me saying that I'm good for nothing where I am.

Top Bottom