• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Order: 1886 has gone gold

Lastly on the narrative elements of the game, and its impact on the 'forced-stealth/hand-holding', etc...

It's clear that The Order is a game with a very strong focus on narrative. The game clearly approaches the moment-to-moment gameplay focusing on ensuring a very believable and strong consistency of how things flow.

I think it's fairly safe to assume that the game never 'breaks' the flow of the game's logic. Narrative ensures that the game is structured around what happens before, and what happens after. And that potential lack of sandbox-freedom in gameplay can presumably be off-putting to those who want complete gameplay freedom.

Eg. I fully understand why the forced stealth section in the airship was there. Because immediately after the stealth section, there is a story section where you reached the location undetected, allowing you to play sniper. The game clearly doesn't want to break the logic of having the dissonance of 'oh, you got detected, but it's okay, we'll pretend like it never happened', and thus the insta-fail, because the narrative dictates you stealth-ed the section successfully, no questions asked.

that actually makes sense. Sometimes I cringe when I see cut-scenes when things "supposed to happen", but didn't. Like nobody saw me, but I just had a massacre before the cut-scene and things like that...

ShinyZealousBillygoat.gif
sbcLqHg.gif

WITHE1982

You have a problem.

I agree. I think the problem is I pass my local Branch of Game UK after work every day so I often just pop in on my way home to see what's coming out. I then just put pre-orders down if anything takes my fancy.

Embarrassingly I have pre-ordered games before and forgot that I already have them on pre-order.

Anung

Un Rama
My excitement for this has really grown. It didn't even make my top ten most anticipated list. But the trailers, the solid game-play footage and the cool atmosphere and weapons have really shot this game up in my opinion.

Spineker

Banned
I have a very good feeling about this game and I honestly don't get that often. I had it about Grim Fandango before I played it despite it not being a genre I like very much and yes it is indeed awesome, so I trust my instincts on this.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I'm still surprised people complained about the forced stealth -> sniper section. It's not even original. That's all ghillied up. Everyone loves that shit.

I'm still surprised people complained about the forced stealth -> sniper section. It's not even original. That's all ghilled up. Everyone loves that shit.

Reading through all the complaints of the forced-stealth by the press made me
shakehead.gif

To me, disliking forced-stealth sections in games are perfectly valid. But if one steps back and think for a moment of 'why it was forced', one can see that 99/100 times, it's all because of the story.

Story dictated that no one detected the duo in CoD:MW until after that specific story sequence. Thus forced stealth. Story dictated the villains didn't discover that some Assassin overheard their evil master plan, thus forced stealth in AssCreed tailing missions. Story dictated Sam Fisher planting bugs in enemy base without them even noticing he was there, otherwise the bugs would get swept clean, thus forced stealth.

Jeez.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I'm still surprised people complained about the forced stealth -> sniper section. It's not even original. That's all ghillied up. Everyone loves that shit.
There seems to be a lot of double standards in play with this game versus other linear shooters. The cutscene/QTE balance seems similar to Tomb Raider 2013 or CoD AW but those never get compared to Quantic Dream games.

There seems to be a lot of double standards in play with this game versus other linear shooters. The cutscene/QTE balance seems similar to Tomb Raider 2013 or CoD AW but those never get compared to Quantic Dream games.

Not enough 'next-gen gameplay/open-world'

/s

realcZk

Oh damn, I must have been living under a rock because I didn't realize this was a PS4 exclusive (was daydreaming of playing it on PC). Oh well, will still be picking this up for sure unless the early reviews really turn me off, it looks like a lot of fun.

Top Bottom