• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Order 1886 | Impressions Thread of not shooting the messenger.

hydruxo

Reviewers are unleashing their creativity. Here's an excerpt from the preview of the review from Forbes http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2015/02/18/11-things-you-need-to-know-about-the-order-1886/:

1. It’s the perfect game to pair with Mountain Dew and Doritos!

Here’s why: There are so many cut-scenes and moments where you don’t have to do anything but sit and watch, you’ll have your hands free. This makes it super easy to wolf down super delicious Doritos which can only be properly washed down with gulp after gulp of frosty fresh Mountain Dew!

7. Hey look, it’s time for some more delicious Doritos! And don’t forget the Mountain Dew!

This is because, no matter what RaD says, this game is not a $100 steak. You will need to eat something else.

Yikes, dude is trying way too hard to be witty. That was cringeworthy.

I'll probably enjoy this game quite a bit, gonnah wait for when it drops in price cause I'm poor as fuck. But I gottah say I can't believe games are still being made without skippable cutscenes.

Shengar

Gah. Sorry, that's one of my massive pet peeves in narrative games.

Which is I hope RAD will support the game with DLC like Evolution did with Driveclub. I feel there is time constraint due to he fidelity level of their assets, so continued support post release with DLC might be better choice of completing the story without forsake the graphical prowess. Free or paid, it what matter most.

How long was the Last of Us? Was it that short too? As TLoU took me two or three weeks to complete, I think it won't bother me too much if The Order is a little bit shorter.
Last of Us took me 17 hours. 17 beautiful, teary eyed hours.

tumblr_mnd6qy7oLR1rc2i08o1_500.gif

Sounds absolutely awful, as predicted by many.

I don't understand this 'to be continued' shit in video games. It makes no sense commercially. You want people to buy the sequel, right? You want to create a 'franchise', right? Then make sure you don't piss people off with your first fucking game by not giving them a complete experience!

Look, if you tell a complete story you can always leave a hook or two in there for a writer to run with for a sequel if the game sells well. Fans will enjoy speculating where the story might go from the end of the first one even more when they don't have a concrete idea where the story is heading next. Then you can sell the 2nd and 3rd games as if the series was always planned as a trilogy - this is almost a time honoured tradition at this stage. If it doesn't sell well, at least you delivered a full experience to your fans, who will be grateful, and there's no backlash for failing to finish what you started.

When you use a cliffhanger or 'to be continued' ending you just leave people feeling shortchanged, as well as feeling like they have a rough idea of what's going to happen in the next game. It's less exciting, not more. And it's just a terrible, anti-consumer practice when the game costs 60 bucks and the sequel won't be out for two years, minimum. There are mediums where cliffhanger storytelling works. AAA blockbuster gaming is just so obviously not one of them.

Oh my god, are you for real? That's how this game ends? FUCK that shit....seriously, the arrogance of companies to pull that shit off, especially on the first game that they don't even know if it'll have the reception or sales to green light a sequel.

I feel like it's definitely a bigger trend in western studios, which is making me lose faith in story focused AAA western games. It's all about everything becoming a fucking franchise, and making sure people come back for the DLC and sequels. There are always exceptions of course, but come on! I feel most satisfied with a story experience when it has a conclusion! When it feels resolved!

Colbert

Banned
I've just gone into the comments on a Division article, and one poster is actually repeating the MisterX second GPU that's being kept super-secret due to the NDA.

Ahhhhhh man,

Don't believe that shit, even I am in the Xbox One camp, those guys there are just crazy and don't have a clue.

Scrulox

Neo Member
Sounds absolutely awful, as predicted by many.

I don't understand this 'to be continued' shit in video games. It makes no sense commercially. You want people to buy the sequel, right? You want to create a 'franchise', right? Then make sure you don't piss people off with your first fucking game by not giving them a complete experience!

Look, if you tell a complete story you can always leave a hook or two in there for a writer to run with for a sequel if the game sells well. Fans will enjoy speculating where the story might go from the end of the first one even more when they don't have a concrete idea where the story is heading next. Then you can sell the 2nd and 3rd games as if the series was always planned as a trilogy - this is almost a time honoured tradition at this stage. If it doesn't sell well, at least you delivered a full experience to your fans, who will be grateful, and there's no backlash for failing to finish what you started.

When you use a cliffhanger or 'to be continued' ending you just leave people feeling shortchanged, as well as feeling like they have a rough idea of what's going to happen in the next game. It's less exciting, not more. And it's just a terrible, anti-consumer practice when the game costs 60 bucks and the sequel won't be out for two years, minimum. There are mediums where cliffhanger storytelling works. AAA blockbuster gaming is just so obviously not one of them.

I think the ending is like that because they ran out of time and they had to deliver the game. They even reused one of the fights as the final boss fight with no change whatsoever. And there is a chance that a sequel will be never made.

Betty

Banned
DON'T READ THE POST ABOVE IT INCLUDES SPOILERS

The main problem with Order's story is that there are so few resolutions, there's only a handful of plot threads to begin with and only one or two get tied off, the rest are left hanging.

I don't mind leaving things for a sequel, but it felt like there was so little that was actually resolved here and it leaves a very unsatisfying feeling as a result.

I think the ending is like that because they ran out of time and they had to deliver the game.
They even reused one of the fights as the final boss fight with no change whatsoever
. And there is a chance that a sequel will be never made.

Cmon dude that's kind of spoilery to post in here

Nizz

I'll probably enjoy this game quite a bit, gonnah wait for when it drops in price cause I'm poor as fuck. But I gottah say I can't believe games are still being made without skippable cutscenes.
This. I'd really like to play the game but I just don't have the cash right now. I think I'll wait till the first price drop or so.

Spoilers wtf
And this too. Jesus man, I come looking for more impressions and get hit with spoilers.

Betty

Banned
So they shouldn't make this game in the first place? Wow, just wow...

The poster never implied that, just that RAD going from making only handheld titles based on other franchises to their own home console based new IP may have been too much of a leap.

Personally I think they nailed the graphical side of things but that it might've been better if they'd settled for slightly less amazing visuals to focus on other areas of the game.

Finished Chapter 10 this morning. Some random impressions

+ Extremely grogeous game. Beats any game in my steam library at the moment - Including Ryse PC on Max settings
+ Excellent voice acting
+ Playing on medium, I've died a few times. Definately not a walk in the park
+ The special weapons
Arc Gun + Termite Gun
have awesome kill animations.
+ Found the soundtrack so far to be serviceable

- I find that the camera is way too close to the character. It makes narrow corridor battle very difficult. Most fights happen in tight enclosures
- Very often the game forces you to walk (sprinting is switched off) long distance. This is the thing that has annoyed me the most so far.

Awesome. Just one more day.

Putty

2 further things from my opening moments with it. One, play on hard.....provides a nice challenge and defo rules out the run and gun approach. Two, on a technical level it reminds me very much of the first time I played KZ2 with all that wizardry coming together in one very well rounded package. For me, it's another case of fuck the reviews, I used my own judgement on wether to pick it up, just like DC...and my judgement proved me right.

FATALITY

Banned
The poster never implied that, just that RAD going from making only handheld titles based on other franchises to their own home console based new IP may have been too much of a leap.

Personally I think they nailed the graphical side of things but that it might've been better if they'd settled for slightly less amazing visuals to focus on other areas of the game.

those things are not related ffs

They already have the engine in place, they don't need to hang back on the visuals. In fact they can likely improve on them. Visuals are very important anyway.

Just went to my Gamestop to pay off my pre order today.
I asked him how much credit someone would get if they brought the game back
this Monday.

He looked it up and told me it was $30.
Apparently, they usually give $40 credit on $60 games traded in that quickly.

Is GameStop expecting more trade-ins than usual for The Order?
Any GameStop Gaf-ers know?

Top Bottom