• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Order 1886 | Impressions Thread of not shooting the messenger.

This might sound strange, but do you watch golf? For some people watching someone else play a game is entertaining, get over it.

No, that isn't really an apt comparison. It is more like watching a movie...except it is a game not a movie, and player agency and the engagement which comes with it is lost.

Watching a game on youtube doesn't give a true sense of what it is like to play a game at all. It gives you an idea, maybe even a large amount of insight of whever it is for you or not. But it is doesnt have the same level of involvement or enjoyment at all. I wouldn't rely on the opinion of someone who had watched a youtube video of a game at all.

Azdoune

This might sound strange, but do you watch golf? For some people watching someone else play a game is entertaining, get over it.

If I had a choice between playing in camp nou with Messi and, watching Messi playing on TV, I NEVER watch the game on TV.

I have watched some games on Youtube , but only games that i can't play (others consoles, or ultra pc version).

This game's visuals are shockingly good. Everything is just so polished; haven't seen anything like it. So far, so good. Very story driven.

I'm confused by this statement.

I would never call a cinematic, storytelling focused game focusing on story and presentation above gameplay "old-fashioned" in any sense of the word or categorise these sorts of games as being so rare as to have them make a "comeback".

Maybe I'm just misreading it, or maybe I'm just 20 years older than the OP and from a different generation of videogames.

I think it sounds "medium fashioned".

The point is it doesn't seem to be 5 hours of story and 40 hours of fetch quests, which is the modern AAA way.

I certainly complain about that often enough... So I guess I am at least partially onboard with this game.

Ideally it would really be "old fashioned" and hark back to a System Shock type of shooter... But at least we are moving in the right direction.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Yeah it's exactly like watching competitive sports. Okay

I agree with the commenting on the gameplay part to an extent despite the fact you can get a pretty good feel of how a game plays from watching somebody play a lot of the time. That being said, you've commented numerous times on how watching a playthrough of a game is a "weird" way to spend time. Some might think watching grown men hit a ball with an iron stick is a weird way to spend time is all I'm saying. I'm a massive sports fan btw, just letting you know you're being an ass to people who enjoy watching videogames.

Jashobeam

If the story rivaled the Last of Us and it had some sort of online mode I wonder what type of reactions/impressions would we be getting? ATM based on these impressions, it seems the story doesn't reach the heights of tLoU, I mean if it was, people would be losing their shit in these impressions, so what do we have left? A decent game with insane visuals?

I'm getting this game because I need to experience it all myself, but I'm less hyped than I was a week ago before all these impressions which all seem very defensive about what the game is instead of actual, genuine praise.

I agree with the commenting on the gameplay part to an extent despite the fact you can get a pretty good feel of how a game plays from watching somebody play a lot of the time. That being said, you've commented numerous times on how watching a playthrough of a game is a "weird" way to spend time. Some might think watching grown men hit a ball with an iron stick is a weird way to spend time is all I'm saying. I'm a massive sports fan btw, just letting you know you're being an ass to people who enjoy watching videogames.

I understand im coming off as an ass but it's only from the standpoint that people think they have any foundation to form a meaningful opinion on any game by just watching it. Especially in a thread where it is contrasted by people that have actually played it.

You would be proud of me though. It took everything I had not to start this post with David Spades great line in Tommy Boy - "I sure hope so because I am laying it on pretty thick"

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
I think it sounds "medium fashioned".

The point is it doesn't seem to be 5 hours of story and 40 hours of fetch quests, which is the modern AAA way.

I certainly complain about that often enough... So I guess I am at least partially onboard with this game.

Ideally it would really be "old fashioned" and hark back to a System Shock type of shooter... But at least we are moving in the right direction.

? Since when? TLOU and Uncharted are nothing like this. COD (not a fan but still AAA) is not like this. Plenty of AAA are still linear story driven or mp driven games.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
If the story rivaled the Last of Us and it had some sort of online mode I wonder what type of reactions/impressions would we be getting? ATM based on these impressions, it seems the story doesn't reach the heights of tLoU, i mean if it was people would be losing their shit in these impressions, so what do we have left? A decent game with insane visuals?

I'm getting this game because I need to experience it all myself, but I'm less hyped than I was a week ago before all these impressions which all seem very defensive about what the game is instead of actual, genuine praise.

From what I'm reading it sounds like the game has a well crafted atmosphere, strong story, insane visuals, and strong shooting with a few occasional issues in pacing. Sounds like a damn solid game but one where there's clear room for improvement with a sequel.

Dawg

From what I'm reading it sounds like the game has a well crafted atmosphere, strong story, insane visuals, and strong shooting with a few occasional issues in pacing. Sounds like a damn solid game but one where there's clear room for improvement with a sequel.

Seems like a typical new IP then.

Ellite25

I don't mind 5~ hours, but the only thing I'm concerned with is that the game seems to be exposition heavy with lots of cutscenes. If that's the case, there might only be 3-4 hours of actual gameplay which is like next to nothing.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
I understand im coming off as an ass but it's only from the standpoint that people think they have any foundation to form a meaningful opinion on any game by just watching it. Especially in a thread where it is contrasted by people that have actually played it.

You would be proud of me though. It took everything I had not to start this post with David Spades great line in Tommy Boy - "I sure hope so because I am laying it on pretty thick"

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=152190185&postcount=401

Yeah obviously this guy commenting on the quality of the game deserved that... oh wait.

Derpyduck

Banned

Surely you can't be this naive. I've gamed long enough that I can watch a video of a game or a video of someone playing a game, or a stream on Twitch and know almost immediately if the game is for me or not. It's not a difficult science. Games aren't that complicated. I will agree though that if I were looking for impressions of a game, I would turn to someone who played it before I'd ever turn to someone who simply watched it being played.

Woah, I never seen so much hate for a game from people who have never played it.

It's on all kinds of Uncharted 2 levels. absolutely nuts.

This is nothing compared to threads about Tomb Raider 2013.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Seems like a typical new IP then.

Yep and exactly what I was expecting in terms of quality. I'm totally enamored with the setting and atmosphere and QTEs don't bother me as much as most so depending on how well the story goes over personally, it should be a game well worth my time.

hydruxo

So I just tried to get a copy from Walmart + they had like 6 copies out laying on top of the PS4's but not officially on the shelves. I asked one of the older employees in there if he could get a game out for me and he got it out no problem, was ringing it up then said he had to go in the back and double check something. He came back and rang it up again but it wouldn't go through because of the street date (which it strangely said Feb 23rd instead of the 20th, not sure why). He was willing to let me get it but he just didn't want to get fired for breaking a street date, understandably. I didn't expect it to work but it still sucks when the game is right there in front of you and you can't get it.

Personally, I think it harkens back to Metal Gear Solid in terms of pacing, to Killzone 2 for its gunplay theatricality, and to Vanquish, for its replayability.

Best thing I have read about this game. Being seeking a game that would take me back to KZ2 gunplay.

There is no substitute for playing the game yourself, if it's something you're interesting in purchasing. Watching YouTube won't give you a feel for how this game plays; you have to feel the feedback yourself. The weight of everything, the punch of the weapons; definitely has that Gears effect, which is right up my alley. I will never understand people who'd spoil a game they intend to play by watching other people play through it; boggles my mind.

Ellite25

I wouldn't go that far, but I get your point. As I get older I find I want more focused gaming experiences.
I can agree with this. I played DA:I for a couple hours and said fuck this, too many pointless side quests and nonsense that just fill time. Felt like more of a chore than a fun experience.

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
Sounds like a damn solid game but one where there's clear room for improvement with a sequel.

Exactly. I'm more than happy to support that with my money in the hopes of seeing a fully-fleshed out series ala Uncharted.

Dawg

Yep and exactly what I was expecting in terms of quality. I'm totally enamored with the setting and atmosphere and QTEs don't bother me as much as most so depending on how well the story goes over personally, it should be a game well worth my time.

I'm not going to lie, I can already see some reviewers complain about the lineair structure.
Even though a lot of highly rated games suffer from this.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Surely you can't be this naive. I've gamed long enough that I can watch a video of a game or a video of someone playing a game, or a stream on Twitch and know almost immediately if the game is for me or not. It's not a difficult science. Games aren't that complicated. I will agree though that if I were looking for impressions of a game, I would turn to someone who played it before I'd ever turn to someone who simply watched it being played.

Watching the game seeing that it's QTE heavy, a lot of it takes place in tight corridors and is stop-cover-shoot, unskippable cutscenes limiting playthroughs as they'll get tiresome, on rails sections,etc. Again you can definitely pull a lot about a game from a video, surprised people think it's THAT asinine.

? Since when? TLOU and Uncharted are nothing like this. COD (not a fan but still AAA) is not like this. Plenty of AAA are still linear story driven or mp driven games.

Something like COD is pretty much exactly that. 5 hours of story and then collecting over and over. Uncharted is a "medium age" game by now.

TLoU? The exception that proves the point.

I wouldn't trust the "review" of anyone who only watched a game, but you can certainly tell a lot about a game from watching someone play it. I don't see how you can think otherwise. It's a largely audiovisual experience.

arevin01

No, that isn't really an apt comparison. It is more like watching a movie...except it is a game not a movie, and player agency and the engagement which comes with it is lost.

Watching a game on youtube doesn't give a true sense of what it is like to play a game at all. It gives you an idea, maybe even a large amount of insight of whever it is for you or not. But it is doesnt have the same level of involvement or enjoyment at all. I wouldn't rely on the opinion of someone who had watched a youtube video of a game at all.

That is all subjective. Why are there millions of viewers everyday watching Twitch? Many ppl enjoy watching other ppl play including myself. I can explain the specifics on why that is but I don't think this is the time for it.

NateDrake

Can someone explain to me what the greatness of KZ2 gunplay was? I need to better understand that idea so I can apply it to my current play of The Order.

All you people in school or without full time work and responsibilities or a SO will one day see these games as a godsend. I just can't do these 15-20 hour games anymore. It took me 4 and a half months to find the time to beat TLoU.

If I saw three films in a theater back to back, or purchased 3 blurays, the cost and runtime would be the equivalent play time/dollar ratio spent on this game.

3 theater tickets = $65 for 5-6hrs of content (that you can't replay)

3 new Blurays = $50-$60 for 5-6hrs of content

New Game that 5-7 Hours long = $60

I dont understand the uproar over "short" games, when the cost/content ratio is the same for other newly released media. Especially when, like I mentioned before, a life full of responsibilities prevents me from playing games that are any longer then 5 to 7 hours.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Something like COD is pretty much exactly that. 5 hours of story and then collecting over and over. Uncharted is a "medium age" game by now.

TLoU? The exception that proves the point.

Lol no it is not at all, sorry. On top of that it has a very deep and fleshed out multiplayer whether you or I like that part of it or not.

The problem is a lot of the "hate" are legitimate problems for people. I say 7-8 hours is not enough content when it sounds like there isn't enough replayability. Others will jump in and say "ooo so go play your collectathons where you aimlessly walk around doing boring missions! I don't have time for that!" Sorry guys an 8 hour long campaign without any sort of online community, co-op, unskippable cutscenes, incentive to play on higher difficulties, etc. is very very barebones.

So skip it, doesn't sound like the Order is for you then.

Not sure what you are expecting. You just put a negative smiley on a comment about the game being solid with great production values. Mmmk.

I would guess it is more than that because the screenshots produced using the "share" function produces compressed JPGs that are notably far removed from the IQ visible on screen while playing a game. I speak from personal experience in this matter.

I guess I will ahve to wait for real direct feeds then if you seem sure of this. It would be nice if the PS4 could share uncompressed screens <_<

cackhyena

Conversely, I've never seen so much unwarranted hype for a new IP that never pretended to do anything interesting from a developer with no home console pedigree. This game was hyped by people who like to pretend there's a first party scene worth a damn on PS4...

I was with you until you shit yourself with that last sentence. Fucking nonsense.

anothertech

Love this write up OP!

Really ht home with the 'old school gamer' feel. Exactly what a game like this should be imo.

The amazing visuals and atmosphere is just icing now.

Was on the fence tbh but your opinion helped sway me to preorder for sure.

Really excited for this week now.

Boke1879

Conversely, I've never seen so much unwarranted hype for a new IP that never pretended to do anything interesting from a developer with no home console pedigree. This game was hyped by people who like to pretend there's a first party scene worth a damn on PS4...

See this post like this makes no sense. People Do enjoy Sony's first party titles. Some haven't reviewed well but people still play and enjoy them.

It seems like you're upset that people are actually excited for the Order. There are many reasons why people could possibly be hyped. The setting, The graphics, Story. The impressions found in this very same thread.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
WTF? Not you, the guy watching it on YouTube

I'm sorry but what are you even trying to say? I'm getting on bruceleeroy for criticizing others for their hobbies, he doesn't have to be an ass. I would NEVER watch more than a few minutes of a game on youtube, it would be dull as dirt to me, but there are tons of things I wouldn't do that others will. That is a complete lack of understanding and it's close minded to assume that because you don't like something and think it's weird others won't do it. People enjoy watching others play video games, that is a fact.

Love this write up OP!

Really ht home with the 'old school gamer' feel. Exactly what a game like this should be imo.

The amazing visuals and atmosphere is just icing now.

Was on the fence tbh but your opinion helped sway me to preorder for sure.

Really excited for this week now.
This is the one I don't get at all. Everything being said about this game makes it pretty much the opposite of "old school games." It is much more similar to the current AAA scene. An "old school feel" would be like, Stryder, Flying Wild Hog games, or heck... anything but this.

I think RaD to The Order 1886 will be exactly like Naughty Dog to Uncharted. Both are good and fun games with a lot of potentials waiting to be improved and exploited in their sequels.

That is all subjective. Why are there millions of viewers everyday watching Twitch? Many ppl enjoy watching other ppl play including myself. I can explain the specifics on why that is but I don't think this is the time for it.

What is subjective? Can you give more specificity? I said that watching a game gives a lesser sense of engagement than playing it, I don't think that is subjective.

Top Bottom