• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Order 1886 | Impressions Thread of not shooting the messenger.

Not really. Not what I wrote in the OP.

Just my overall takeaway. It's bothering me. It's been bothering me since yesterday.

I was just replaying/rewatching sections, trying to see if there was anything I missed, anything I didn't fully grasp...

Nope.

Hence why I'm pissed.
I don't understand what you are talking about here since haven't played it.

But from what I read earlier from others, and some non-spoiler comments about the ending etc, it just seems that they have a sequel planned. I reckon it was originally going to be a trilogy so if people were hoping for definitive answers in this game, they might be disappointed. Just my two cents.

It won't be a cliffhanger per se, but maybe there are questions that will be left unanswered even after the game ends.............

cackhyena

Only seen the initial gameplay trailer.

Time travel shooter seemed kind of gimmicky(in a bad way).

I guess for my tastes, it seemed way more fun than anything I've seen with this game. I mean, it just looks like there is more of a game there, overall. idk

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I guess for my tastes, it seemed way more fun than anything I've seen with this game. I mean, it just looks like there is more of a game there, overall. idk

The gameplay videos for both seem pretty similar to me. Lots of walking around taking in atmosphere punctuated by TPS combat and both look pretty damn cool.

nib95

Banned
The gameplay videos for both seem pretty similar to me. Lots of walking around taking in atmosphere punctuated by TPS combat and both look pretty damn cool.

Agreed. But this likely isn't really the thread for such comparisons, lest it turns even more messy lol.

cackhyena

This game much more so reminds me of RE4 or something. But nibs right, probably should back off the comparison thing.

Servbot24

Banned

Seemed like the same amount of gameplay to me. I.e. the gameplay is just there as a way to scoot the story along - not terribly important in and of itself.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Agreed. But this likely isn't really the thread for such comparisons, lest it turns even more messy lol.

This game much more so reminds me of RE4 or something. But nibs right, probably should back off the comparison thing.
Oh, god you guys are right. Yeah, we should drop this now.

So what's been the general consensus from people who have played it?

They've all said it's worth playing but have liked it to varying degrees. It sounds like most people will find it solid.

Oh, god you guys are right. Yeah, we should drop this now.

They've all said it's worth playing but have liked it to varying degrees. It sounds like most people will find it solid.

Alright sweet. I'm looking forward to mostly the art and tech, the gameplay and story will be bonuses of they are solid. Lot of the other concerns for the gameplay don't really bother me, I'm just hoping the story stays solid.

MattyG

Banned
I thought Wolfenstein: The New Order was proof you can still make AAA SP only shooters that don't need MP.

Excellent gameplay, decent length and an entertaining story. Also some replayability.

Compared to The Order though... I was convinced Wolfenstein would be great the moment I played an early demo at Gamescom 2013. Can't say the same about this game. And despite its praise, Wolfenstein is sitting at a 79 metacritic.

Soooo I don't think it's that far fetched to say The Order 1886 could score lower. Hell, it's my current prediction. Question is: how much lower?

Of course, this is all speculation based on previous builds and the general reception to this game. I liked the PSX demo but a lot of other sites didn't. Would love to be wrong though.
Wolfenstein was the most pleasant surprise of last year, definitely deserves a better score than that.

Jamezeite

Banned
Q-Bert has more story than Destiny, so throw that comparison out.
I won't go into specifics of the story. I haven't finished the game yet, but there are some miscues that don't work that well imo. Nothing deal breaking, at least for me.
Lol agree to disagree about that Qbert hyperbole.

i just feel like the story makes or breaks this game since it is relying so much on the cinematic effect.

Should I play on Hard or Normal first time through?

I don't want a cakewalk but I don't want a frustrating experience either.

Appreciate the advice.

potam

Banned

Appreciate the advice.

general opinion seems to be normal = easy, hard = normal. But, people said the same shit about TLoU, and I thought playing on normal gave a fun experience. I guess I'm just not hardcore.

edit: I prefer to experience the game, not get frustrated.

Wolfenstein was the most pleasant surprise of last year, definitely deserves a better score than that.

Wolfenstein is listed by howlongtobeat as about 12 hours for the main story.

The most popular walkthrough on youtube, from Start to final boss, is 7.1 hours of video.

OH NO! Wolfenstein is almost HALF the length it is supposed to be.

ZfcmZ5E.png

general opinion seems to be normal = easy, hard = normal. But, people said the same shit about TLoU, and I thought playing on normal gave a fun experience. I guess I'm just not hardcore.

edit: I prefer to experience the game, not get frustrated.

I loved TLOU on hard and 90% of the time I play games on Normal first. I guess it depends on the AI. If it has good AI that isn't cheap, then playing on Hard is preferable and not frustrating. Like if turning up the difficulty actually changes their behavior and makes them smarter, improves their tactics, I'm all for it. If its like COD or Gears where they simply deal more damage or just become better shots, than nah I prefer leaving it on normal.

If anyone played the game can comment I would be grateful.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I loved TLOU on hard and 90% of the time I play games on Normal first. I guess it depends on the AI. If it has good AI that isn't cheap, then playing on Hard is preferable and not frustrating. Like if turning up the difficulty actually changes their behavior and makes them smarter, improves their tactics, I'm all for it. If its like COD or Gears where they simply deal more damage or just become better shots, than nah I prefer leaving it on normal.

If anyone played the game can comment I would be grateful.

Most of the impressions have said hard isn't too difficult and it sounds like the AI might be better on hard as well.

When I saw the other day, that you were posting to What's New feed / YouTube / playing The Order, I was like NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Glad to read your impressions. CANNOT wait!

viveks86

Appreciate the advice.

Based on what I've played and seen, normal seemed too easy. Hard actually looks fun and challenging. I'd recommend hard. Also the AI don't magically become bullet sponges on hard, so it didn't seem cheap.

Appreciate the advice.

Andrea Pessino said hard mode was the way to go. Also, from what people have been saying, turn off aim assist and turn on camera bias.

jmaine_ph

I played the last of us on hard my first time playing it and I still found to be one of the best experiences that I ever had playing a game. I think that says a lot about that masterpiece.

Edit: On the other hand TLOU on grounded was a nightmare because of the game from my last play through and it was still great lol

Hugstable

Banned
I played the last of us on hard my first time playing it and I still found to be one of the best experiences that I ever had playing a game. I think that says a lot about that masterpiece.

lol what does this have to do with The Order though?

So has there been any other impressions outside of Rapiers? I wish there was a way to filter out the impressions -___-

Based on what I've played and seen, normal seemed too easy. Hard actually looks fun and challenging. I'd recommend hard. Also the AI don't magically become bullet sponges on hard, so it didn't seem cheap.
Do you know how many difficulty modes there are in this game? I plan to go with Hard difficulty, but I will change my mind if a more challenging difficulty is offered.

viveks86

Do you know how many difficulty modes there are in this game? I plan to go with Hard difficulty, but I will change my mind if a more challenging difficulty is offered.

The PSX segment I played was on Normal and some of the videos I've seen are on Hard. I think there is an easy mode as well (unconfirmed)

Vroadstar

From what I've read here the game sounds like a winner and I'm glad I pre-ordered. This and Bloodborne, PS4's Mr. Thunder and Mr. Lightning....

Robo, I think the dream is dead for me. Whether or not I still pick this up to marvel at the art & tech, I think holding out any hope that this will appease my particular hunger for well paced story driven TPSs is futile.

Orca

Don't think I've heard anyone on GAF say Wolfenstein took them 7 hours to beat, all posts stating higher numbers. It's likely this Order walkthrough will also come under the much shorter end of the spectrum.

To be fair, he's also playing that on medium difficulty.

Edit - and it's just a touch slower than the average SPEED RUN time on Wolfenstein, so something's odd about that.

Zolbrod

It's pacing is dictated by the unskippable cutscenes and expository quasi-interactive sections.

Oh man, that is a BIG no-no for me.
I don't care how cinematic you want your game to be, unskippable cutscenes are just not acceptable in this day and age anymore.

That said, the prettiness should be enough to pull me through at least once.
I think I'll buy this day one, rush through it over the weekend and just sell it again on Monday.

Oh man, that is a BIG no-no for me.
I don't care how cinematic you want your game to be, unskippable cutscenes are just not acceptable in this day and age anymore.

That said, the prettiness should be enough to pull me through at least once.
I think I'll buy this day one, rush through it over the weekend and just sell it again on Monday.

I think it's okay the first playthrough but if you're going to replay it every cutscene should be skippable.

Orca

disregard that

Saw that pre-edit and that's EXACTLY the reason people's recollections of how long it took them to finish the game are rarely legit.

I remember finishing one game, I can't remember which it was - an action-adventure game a couple years back, and thinking it was 7-8 hours long. I'd played it in two chunks, separated by having something to eat and doing some writing, but I was sure that was close. The software we used to track gameplay time showed it was just a touch over four hours.

arevin01

The 5 hour length dilemma is going to spiral out of control and made worse with gamespot reporting it. Yahoo news is now linking that report on their front site.

Exquisik

Just want to thanks Rapier, perineumlick, and theman2k for the impression on the game, greatly appreciate it!

Based on the impression, I'm definitely going to pick this game up and really wanted to get the Collector's Edition but it's sold out on Best Buy (have GCU). I'm hoping that it will be available comes Friday when the game is released at the retail store. And for what it's worth, it's currently at #10 on Amazon.

And not to derail the thread but just want to add my two cents to all the posters commenting on the game based off of the youtube videos. Watching a game is not the same as playing the game. No, your impression is not the same and should not be credited as valid compare to those that have played the game. It's like saying you watched a youtube video of another person driving a Bugatti Veyron and you now know what it's like to actually drive one. And no, just because the Order is a cinematic focused game doesn't mean that you can watch the video and fully understand the game. You can't experience the intensity and feeling of the game just by watching, because you're not controlling the character and you can't feel the force feedback from your keyboard. And what about the exploration of the game? What if the youtube player missed some of the hidden doors/stages/levels of the game? How can you know that there's no such thing by watching the video?

So please if you watch the youtube video, do everyone a favor and post in the spoiler thread and don't bother posting your impression of the game here unless you have played the game yourself.

The 5 hour length drama is going to spiral out of control and made worse with gamespot reporting it. Yahoo news is now linking that report on their front site.
Well Yahoo! news has been a joke for years, and we knew GameSpot would run with the article after the Blow Twitter thing. No surprises really.

This thread is a clusterfuck of amazing proportions.

Thanks to the players for their impressions. Good stuff to read. I'm excited for the game. I love these sorts of cinematic games (Uncharted, Alan Wake, Wolfenstein: The New Order, Max Payne, etc). Great/fun stories, great gameplay, fun shooting, good productions values, etc. Stuff like that makes me happy.

One last quick and dirty gif for the anticipation of the review thread.
ygsyme.gif

NateDrake please post your impressions.

Awesome.

I don't even know where to start.

Ok, so Elite Dangerous and No Man's Sky have galaxies that contain billions of systems.
That's a lot of content. More locations than any other game ever. So by your logic will use up more disc space than anything ever created.

So now do you see how yourvassumption is flawed?
Unless your college degrees missed the part where assets =/= content.

JAYSIMPLE

Banned
I don't know where I stand with the game length thing. Part of me wants to be completely fine with 5 hour games but then I think there is no way they should cost as much as other games. Especially if for most it's going to be one run through and get rid. I really feel for the people who may have pre ordered this digitally or bought it digital. Well if they aren't happy with the games length that is

Aces&Eights

I don't know where I stand with the game length thing. Part of me wants to be completely fine with 5 hour games but then I think there is no way they should cost as much as other games. Especially if for most it's going to be one run through and get rid. I really feel for the people who may have pre ordered this digitally or bought it digital. Well if they aren't happy with the games length that is

If this is a one time run and get rid of type of game, then you will be getting 40 back easily from any trade in place or 45ish back if you sell on ebay or craigs. So, you will be out 20 bucks or so. You don't think the game would be worth that?

Thats assuming the average play time is 5 hours long.

Top Bottom