• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Order 1886 | Impressions Thread of not shooting the messenger.

ironcreed

Banned
It's nowhere near as frequent in TLOU.
I know that, I am just saying that it is still a big part of the gameplay experience. And while maybe not as much, The Order also has it's share of some rather good looking TPS mechanics as well. But outside of that, they both tried to go for a cinematic experience in similar ways .

Mainstream media is officially running with the game legnth.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/the-order-1886-leaks-to-youtube-in-full-playthroug/1100-6425327/

Sony you are better off pushing up the embargo and the street date. It's getting stupid. The game is high quality and has tons of positive impressions, but if this keeps going further, I can't imagine all the "Cancelled Preorders b/c I watched Game on YouTube" bullshit headed your way.

Just like they reported The Witness game time with Blow's tweet lol.

OnADock

Banned
For those worrying about gameplay length, please stop. I've been playing it nonstop since 2:45pm; it's now about 10pm, and I have 6 chapters left to finish. And yes, there is plenty of gameplay; it's not mostly cutscenes. The beginning of the game is heavy on exposition, but things heat up midway, and now I would say it's heavy on combat. Some very interesting story developments going down now; I could easily finish this in one sitting, it has me hooked, but The Walking Dead is calling me lol.

I can't stress enough how crazy the visuals are. No slowdown, crazy smooth frame rate, (it's gotta be above 30) it really is playable CGI.

We're still looking at under 10 Hours of game play here. And have you not eaten at all? You've clearly been on Gaf at least.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/the-order-1886-leaks-to-youtube-in-full-playthroug/1100-6425327/

Sony you are better off pushing up the embargo and the street date. It's getting stupid. The game is high quality and has tons of positive impressions, but if this keeps going further, I can't imagine all the "Cancelled Preorders b/c I watched Game on YouTube" bullshit headed your way.

Given that Gamespot has their own damn review copy and staff to consult, they had no need to roll with that. Just trying to get Sunday cheap-clicks, and that's not really on anyone but them.

Dawg

This is some next level click & consolewar bait.

Betty

Banned
Shit like this...I can't even...

There's nothing wrong with assigning a numeral score to an experience and the idea that there is feels pompous, every other form of media does it so videogames should be no exception.

Sure, what constitutes a 10 or 9 or whatever is up to the individual, but it's a simple, clear way to sum up how good someone thought something was without going into spoiler territory.

LuuKyK

This time concern, while understandable to some degree, is getting a bit annoying I have to say.

I personally feel like 7 hours is a very good length to a game as story-centered as this. I always felt like the main intention of this game was to tell a story anyway, so there really shouldn't be many distractions in the way. At least thats how I see it.

Not having multiplayer is a completely different story though. I am sure it would be a good addition for the replayability aspect of it, but having it just for the sake of it being there wouldn't really make it any better so we have to trust the devs on this one. If they feel like it would have only hurt the game development and not make sense, whatever they said, we have to go with it at this point. I would rather believe them than just create crazy theories about it.

Idk if this answers your question but I asked a couple days ago if the humor/banter between the characters were good and the person replied saying that's how a lot of the story is told and its done very very well.

Thanks! I didn't really mean the funny chitchat between characters, but nice to see that there is a more lighthearted side to the game. :) I expect it to be a nice break to the more heavy/dark direction the plot seems to be taking.

God thats on way to ruin the game for a lot of people. Congrats on the clicks Gamespot.

And I don't think breaking the street date is as easy as you are implying. There are multiple processes about releasing a game that would probably make it way harder than it sounds. But I dont know, if its really going to hurt its sales, Sony should think about it.

thuway

This is some next level click & consolewar bait.

The Doge on point once again.

Given that Gamespot has their own damn review copy and staff to consult, they had no need to roll with that.

Just like they reported The Witness game time with Blow's tweet lol.

Exactly, but at this point they are hurting the title every single day this passes. We are still five days away, an eternity in videogame land.

Jamezeite

Banned
There's nothing wrong with assigning a numeral score to an experience and the idea that there is feels pompous, every other form of media does it so videogames should be no exception.

Sure, what constitutes a 10 or 9 or whatever is up to the individual, but it's a simple, clear way to sum up how good someone thought something was without going into spoiler territory.
Scores are fine. It's more that they were implying that their entire purchasing decision is based on a score rather than the text he provided. Shit like that makes me sad for humanity.

I've pretty much given up hope on this being a lengthy game. About 9 hours would be okay as an absolute minimum play through on normal for the first time, but considering this game doesn't have the following:

- Unskipable cutscenes making repeated playthroughs a bit of a drag.
- Apparently no unlockable modes or costumes.
- No new game+.
- No trophies for beating the game under certain conditions or certain difficulty levels (boring trophies in general).

With all that said, the game should be at least a good 13 hours long. Anything shorter is definitely disappointing even though I'm still excited to play the game day one.

It's been confirmed after the first playthrough you can do Chapter select and choose to load certain checkpoints within that Chapter.

Quit harping on this. It means nothing. No one who had any serious interest of purchasing this game wouldn't have waited at least until the games official release and reviews to see confirmation if the game's length was that worry some. Nor is anyone that was seriously was going to spend $60 on a videogame no longer doing so because there is a walkthrough on YouTube a week before.

Loakum

Banned
If it's true the Order 1886 is only 5 hours long...then that's very disappointing. I feel a story driven game without a multiplayer should at least be on average 10 - 12 hours. I'll find out for sure this friday. I would expect a 5 hour game to be a tacked on call of Duty story single player. Again if this is true, well...thank goodness for The Witcher 3 and MGSV The Phantom Pain.

BiGBoSSMk23

A company being excited for their new game is a huge slap in the face to all the fans that liked their old games.
Fuck's sake...The more I think about the choices with the story in this game the less I can forgive them.

I wanna grab whoever wrote it by the ears and make them undo a lot of things for the sequel. Like, a lot...

ironcreed

Banned
Yeah, this game is about to get slammed. I hope I end up being pleasantly surprised, but that is just the way it's looking. Whatever, it's something I want to play.

nib95

Banned
Once again I'll use the caveat that I only saw a small portion of the game, but the gameplay that I did see didn't seem like a harder difficulty would make it more enjoyable. It all seemed pretty straight forward stuff. All a harder difficulty would seem to do would be to force you to memorize enemy positions and shoot a bit quicker. It doesn't look like your gameplay would change much.

Besides he died plenty. See here.

Would you at least admit that for people who generally don't seek out every audiolog or note in a game, that The Order 1886 would be a pretty short experience and probably better played as a rental?

I don't agree that all a harder difficulty does is force players to memorise locations. It can force you to improve your aim, tactics, use of weapons etc, just as much if not more. And I don't know why it has do go from not looking at even a single additional item or viewable (as per the videos), to seeing every single one. There can be a balance in-between, which I'd imagine most players will fall in to.

Regarding the bolded, it depends. I don't judge a games purchase viability entirely on the length alone, though it is certainly one of my considerations. Metal Gear Solid is one of my all time favourite games, and I believe it took me around 6-10 hours through my many different play throughs. Not saying The Order will be in the same stratosphere of quality (I'm actually expecting it to be good to very good, not near classic), just making the point that length doesn't necessarily dictate quality, or purchase value proposition. More important than how long a game is, is how much I enjoy it, how fun it is, how likely I may be to replay it etc.

LuuKyK

Quit harping on this. It means nothing. No one who had any serious interest of purchasing this game wouldn't have waited at least until the games official release and reviews to see confirmation if the game's length was that worry some. Nor is anyone that was seriously was going to spend $60 on a videogame no longer doing so because there is a walkthrough on YouTube a week before.

You are underestimating some of todays "gamers".

Ishan

Fuck's sake...The more I think about the choices with the story in this game the less I can forgive them.

I wanna grab whoever wrote it by the ears and make them undo a lot of things for the sequel. Like, a lot...

well some of us dont have the game but have seen the walkthrough . spoiler thread has quite a few ppl bring up certain story points and questions/concerns. Do like the lore of the whole things tho.

LuuKyK

Can you be more specific without going into spoiler territory? Whats bad about it?

RBK

Banned
If there is anything I learned from leaked game length, it's that I end up doing twice the amount of the lowest leak. So I fully expect a 8,5-10 hours game.

That said, most people always say how CoD is only 5-6 hours yet I spend double the time as well. I do play on the hardest difficulty but still.

Advanced Warfare is a legit 6-7 hours even on Veteran.

On the Order, it's a rental or bargain bin game. Unless you're big on this whole "supporting the devs" thing.

I have my expectations set appropriate.
A solid shooter with fantastic graphics and a palpable engaging world. That is all I ever expected. If it hits those things, that's all I ever wanted.

BiGBoSSMk23

A company being excited for their new game is a huge slap in the face to all the fans that liked their old games.
well some of us dont have the game but have seen the walkthrough . spoiler thread has quite a few ppl bring up certain story points and questions/concerns. Do like the lore of the whole things tho.

I can imagine. And nope. The only thing I like is the artstyle and dialogue.

It's gonna get plenty of discussion come release.

We're still looking at under 10 Hours of game play here. And have you not eaten at all? You've clearly been on Gaf at least.
My wife brought me down a plate of food, and I've gotten up to piss, but other than that I've been playing. At 10pm I took a break, now I've just played for another 45, and I'll probably call it quits for tonight. I don't know what you want me to say; do you need every game you play to be longer than 10 hours? I don't; I just need it to be enjoyable, and I am enjoying myself. No, it's not the best game ever, or GOTG, but it's a solid game. You guys worry too much about anal stuff.

I don't care about cost or length, because I'll be picking this up down the road to play, and it'll be cheap to buy. All I need to know is - is it worth playing?
Pretty sure the answer is: Absolutely.

Booshka

I wish this playthrough was a higher bitrate, still looks good though, but I can tell that a lot of the graphical fidelity is lost getting compressed to Youtube.

Dawg

Advanced Warfare is a legit 6-7 hours even on Veteran.

On the Order, it's a rental or bargain bin game. Unless you're big on this whole "supporting the devs" thing.

I'm probably slow then :p Advanced Warfare was a joke on Veteran though. Felt like normal difficulty.

-MD-

For those worrying about gameplay length, please stop. I've been playing it nonstop since 2:45pm; it's now about 10pm, and I have 6 chapters left to finish. And yes, there is plenty of gameplay; it's not mostly cutscenes.

The last 5 chapters or so are
mostly pure cutscenes.

Essentially, I'm hoping this game is my next bioshock Infinitite. Flaws in story and gameplay for sure, but the world is so compelling I don't wanna leave. A good game world can take an average game to a great one for me.

ironcreed

Banned
Based on what?
Gamespot running with articles like the one posted above, some of the negative previews, and just the overall vibe surrounding the game. I see it being received as a middling title at best, but hopefully it will end up being a huge surprise instead. Regardless, I think I will enjoy my time with it.

BiGBoSSMk23

Can you be more specific wouldn't going to spoiler territory? Whats bad about it?

I really shouldn't. Sorry. It's my personal opinion, and a very strong one at that. So, I'm not comfortable divulging anything before release, especially with the way people run with shit on the Internet.

Game design, technical details, gameplay, etc is one thing to give impressions on, but story is the soul of the game.

Loakum

Banned
IF it turns out to actually be only approx 5 hours in length....at least I'll have a snazzy Lycan statue. See, gotta look on the bright side of things.

I'm so damn conflicted about this game. On one hand I'm really interested in it if only as a visual spectacle, but those... comparisons, I guess, to MGS and Killzone 2 get me all kinds of excited. But then I see a bunch of people talking about how some chapters are pure cutscenes and all this other stuff and I just... I don't know what to think!

I hate relying on reviews to make decisions but this seems like one where I'm going to have to see what other people say about it, because there's no way that this isn't going to completely divide the opinions of critics and non-critics alike.

LuuKyK

Hence the spoil tag. How else am I supposed to reply to him?

Stop quoting spoilers.

What you said has little to do with what he said. I don't think it changes the fact that the game didn't feel overwhelmingly short for him, nor does it change the fact that up to that point the game wasn't as cutscene heavy as some people are expecting.

I really shouldn't. Sorry. It's my personal opinion, and a very strong one at that. So, I'm not comfortable divulging anything before release, especially with the way people run with shit on the Internet.

Game design, technical details, gameplay, etc is one thing to give impressions on, but story is the soul of the game.

Fair enough. ;)

BiGBoSSMk23

Are you looking at your impressions in a different light now?

Not really. Not what I wrote in the OP.

Just my overall takeaway. It's bothering me. It's been bothering me since yesterday.

I was just replaying/rewatching sections, trying to see if there was anything I missed, anything I didn't fully grasp...

Nope.

Hence why I'm pissed.

Elios83

Can't believe the buzz that this game is generating.
People are going paranoid on both sides. RAD and Sony should be happy that so many people are talking about the game (positively or negatively is not that important if marketing rules apply :D)
I guess that this game is touching simultaneously a lot of debated topics among different groups.
Things like:
Importance of exclusives to the success of a console (and here we have the usual group of insecure fanboys downplaying things that do not run of their preferred system covered, but it's a general thing).
Single player vs multiplayer philosophy (is there still space on the market for a triple-A totally single player experience with more and more people playing online and expecting to play a game for months because of that? The clash between fans of single player experiences and those who prefer to play online is inevitable.)
Cinematic linear approach vs 'open world with the player always deciding what to do next'' (and here the group that doesn't consider interactive stories to be games at all can be very vocal).
Exclusive title with really high quality graphics possibly raising the bar for videogames in general is then the icing on the cake.

I'm really looking forward to play the game this week, I have a pretty clear idea of what to expect, I've always known since last E3 that it would be a controversial title for its nature (although as I said I didn't expect it to be SO controversial and to get so much attention:D). As a fan of single player games with a focus on story, amazing enviroments, refined artistic detail and such I think I will be pleased, of course gameplay still has to be fun and engaging with solid shooting mechanics, good controls, camera system and so on otherwise all the rest would go wasted.
Imo The Order will be appreciated by those who can see the sum of all its aspects, those looking at it just like a third person shooter with other aspects like story, interactive cutscenes, QTEs and so on being a nuisance just won't like it, it's simply not a title for them.

Top Bottom