• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Order: 1886 is a filmic linear storybased 3rd person action adventure w/ shooting

Gammacide

So not too much info here, but glad to hear it isn't an FPS. Hopefully it will be more adventuring in the vein of Uncharted though ideally with something new added to the mix because even I got sick of waist-high walls.

We are now getting cloud instead of dedicated servers. Everything is getting new terms.
It's true. Taco Bell is even testing not using the term "meat" on their menu anymore. Instead they are trying "power protein". :-\

jgmo870

Banned
I appreciate the experiment, but I have more faith in someone like Kojima after that MGSV trailer rather than the developer that is "inspired" (imitating) by Naughty Dog and released a trailer that had no actual gameplay.

Did you ever play their games? Ghost of Sparta had obvious inspiration from Uncharted and that's why it's the only GoW game with a likeable Kratos.

Good, glad to hear it. I love cinematic games, and not everything needs to be open world and co-op heavy like the industry would have you believe right now. I initially wrote the game off judged on the trailer alone because I thought it was another 4 character, squad based shooter like Fuse or Borderlands, but it's not, so yay! If it's essentially a steampunk Uncharted then I'm very much on board.

ferom

Neo Member
I'm just throwing this out there but maybe "cinematic" better refers to a method of storytelling and a focus on spectacle, while the way he's using "filmic" seems to be very much about the graphical look of the game. The game could be both for all we know, but I don't think "filmic" is necessarily a synonym for the increasingly-maligned term "cinematic."

Came here to say this basically. Think of it like digital film and "true" film. Old school directors like Tarantino for example don't like digital because it's too clean and not "authentic". I think he's FOS but each to his own I guess.

-Horizon-

neuebitmape8sxf.png
lol

Gonna add "filmic" to the list of words I don't want to hear again but will probably hear anyway.

I appreciate the experiment, but I have more faith in someone like Kojima after that MGSV trailer rather than the developer that is "inspired" (imitating) by Naughty Dog and released a trailer that had no actual gameplay.

All Kojima has ever made are movies with sporadic button presses. So this isn't new for him or anything.

Marcel

Did you ever play their games? Ghost of Sparta had obvious inspiration from Uncharted and that's why it's the only GoW game with a likeable Kratos.

God of War has never really interested me. Bland ass angry protagonist and whizbang everything. Not my thing, sorry.

StuBurns

Banned
Can I say that it is really cool to have a brown dude be the director of AAA game like this?
This can't be the first though, but yeah, he did CoO too, excellent game.
I wonder if giant black bars will make a notable comeback this gen in an effort to avoid scaling.
Without doubt. Dragon's Dogma kicked off the rival, with The Evil Within and this following close behind. They can claim it's 'cinematic', and only have to render 800p, a masterclass in PR.

Hasn't RaD cited Uncharted as a big influence on The Order in the past? (this was years ago, though; before we knew their game was even The Order)

If it's just Uncharted with werewolves and stuff, then I'm okay with that.

Cheech

lol no, SoD's community aspect is fun but the actual combat and shooting is ultra generic. TLOU kills it gameplay

OT, but I completely disagree. There is a FAR wider variety of things to do in SoD. Last of Us' gameplay too often is just sneak -> bottle -> strangle -> repeat. Sure, there is some light crafting to add spice, and the clickers can be fun, but from a gameplay standpoint it is really repetitive. What keeps me playing is the story and atmosphere, both of which are amazing. It is just a very well crafted experience, while SoD is a very well crafted game, if that makes any sense. Good example is that I played SoD right before diving into LoU, and it still drives me insane I can't just go into any building I see. Ditching that open world mindset is tough.

They're both very good, and both worth playing.

It begins
This gen - "OMG why are games so linear"
Next gen - "OMG why are games so open"

Heh, I've been thinking this as well since at least E3.

I mean, linear is not a dirty word. Every game with a beginning and end is linear, nonlinearity is an illusion. The interesting bit of any game should be what choices you have of getting through it. Even if there are no path choices, a focused experience could allow for a more detailed world with more things you can affect within the path given you.

Most of the best games I've ever played have been linear, the point is whether they feel open and fresh and full of possibilities every time you play them. Open world games are great, but if they feel utterly empty, are they really giving you more content than a linear game with the same resources could have?

I say this as a sucker for open world games excited for the potential of next gen. Witcher 3 is going to be the first big test, I think. But I guess I'm way offtopic at this point.

jgmo870

Banned
God of War has never really interested me. Bland ass angry protagonist and whizbang everything. Not my thing, sorry.

And they made the only GoW game where he wasn't a bland ass angry protagonist. Thanks to that Uncharted "imitation".

Its a poor choice of words to be sure but that still doesn't negate the fact that this is a solid studio who has a great track record. Everyone who follows up and coming devs have these guys marked for greatness. I'm not going to be shocked when this releases and it gets good review scores. They just have to make sure the setting and main character are memorable to make it a mainstream hit and not just a critical one.

OT, but I completely disagree. There is a FAR wider variety of things to do in SoD. Last of Us' gameplay too often is just sneak -> bottle -> strangle -> repeat. Sure, there is some light crafting to add spice, and the clickers can be fun, but from a gameplay standpoint it is really repetitive. What keeps me playing is the story and atmosphere, both of which are amazing. It is just a very well crafted experience, while SoD is a very well crafted game, if that makes any sense.

They're both very good, and both worth playing.

Well it's not about the variety of gameplay, it is about how satisfying it is. Simply having more gameplay mechanics doesn't mean a game has better gameplay. I got bored of SoD outside the community aspect because the combat and shooting felt terrible, not the case with TLoU

FStop7

Banned
My enthusiasm during the trailer plummeted the moment the zombie things appeared and the shooting started. This news isn't helping change that.

UrbanRats

I wonder if giant black bars will make a notable comeback this gen in an effort to avoid scaling.

You may call them out saying it's just an excuse to save pixels, but BARRY LYNDON was in a weird aspect ratio too, to simulate period paintings.
Are you willing to go against Stanley Kubrick?!

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
This can't be the first though, but yeah, he did CoO too, excellent game.

Without doubt. Dragon's Dogma kicked off the rival, with The Evil Within and this following close behind. They can claim it's 'cinematic', and only have to render 800p, a masterclass in PR.

Judging by Wolfenstein's screenshots that game might also have black bars.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
You may call them out saying it's just an excuse to save pixels, but BARRY LYNDON was in a weird aspect ratio too, to simulate period paintings.
Are you willing to go against Stanley Kubrick?!
Barry Lyndon's aspect ratio was standard in the UK and Europe at the time it was shot.

Heh, I've been thinking this as well since at least E3.

I mean, linear is not a dirty word. Every game with a beginning and end is linear, nonlinearity is an illusion. The interesting bit of any game should be what choices you have of getting through it. Even if there are no path choices, a focused experience could allow for a more detailed world with more things you can affect within the path given you.

Most of the best games I've ever played have been linear, the point is whether they feel open and fresh and full of possibilities every time you play them. Open world games are great, but if they feel utterly empty, are they really giving you more content than a linear game with the same resources could have?

I say this as a sucker for open world games excited for the potential of next gen. Witcher 3 is going to be the first big test, I think. But I guess I'm way offtopic at this point.

Old school "linear" level design wasn't thought of as linear at the time due to its puzzle like nature. Metroid Prime brought it back and made it work. I want to see a return to that and a avoidance of the Call of Duty style of linearity. I think it would solve all of the current complaints about linear games. If analog sticks can make a comeback then why not?

So it's going to be Uncharted like. Fine with me, although I'm not as in love with this style of game as I used to be. Lately I'm more drawn to games built around specific gameplay mechanics and rules rather than everything dictated by story, however if done really well "cinematic games" can still be great.

Grisby

I mean, we kind of knew it was going to at least be some what of a shooter based on that Cg trailer.

I bet it will be a stunner in the graphics department. Ready At Dawn won't disappoint there.

Destined to sell below expectations.

Let's speculate the excuses used for its commercial failure.

"We could have sold more copies if it wasn't for used games!"

Okay this is beyond ridiculous.

You guys haven't even seen a shred of gameplay and yet are already writing this game's future.

Now we got people predicting that it will bomb? Some of the knee jerk reactions in here are embarrassing.

It is crazy.

Linear story-based third person shooter.

I read that quite well, thanks.

And that's a harbinger of doom for gaming...how? Linear, story-based third person shooters have been around for a long time. Some of the best games ever realised are linear TPSs.

We haven't seen a glimpse of the actual gameplay, don't get hung up about "filmic" if it's evidently used to describe the visual style.

UrbanRats

Uhm.. where do they say they're inspired by Naughty Dog? Besides, they didn't show gameplay because it's obviously too early to, but Sony needed something new that looked graphically cool at E3.

Moreover, their description of "filmic" is entirely a visual qualifier, not a gameplay one, so seeing gameplay doesn't affect whether their visual experimentations turn out interesting or not, imo.

The linear shooting part may have you worried about the gameplay, though as i said, it's so vague of a description that it could describe any game.

RM8

The aesthetics for this game actually are pretty interesting. But yeah, it seems like this game won't be enjoyable for me :(

"filmic linear storybased 3rd person action adventure w/ shooting"

nope.gif

TLOU confirmed for me that I'm done with this type of game, no matter how pretty.

Top Bottom