• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Order: 1886 is a filmic linear storybased 3rd person action adventure w/ shooting

UrbanRats

Yeah the filmic thing is intriguing, i want to see what they come up with, visually.

Gameplay wise, it's so much a generic description (action adventure with shooting) that it could be anything, really.

I was hoping for something more along the lines of Hunter the reckoning...

This sounds more like a Gears of War design.

Not sure how I feel about that... hype dwindling.

D

Deleted member 57681

Unconfirmed Member
neuebitmape8sxf.png

Stupid PR speak makes me concerned.

Not forcing itself to become open world, and advertising itself as action-adventure instead of a pure shooter make me more interested.

Trevelyan

Banned
They're talking about simulating lenses, distortions and dirt. Filmic is a pretty apt description.

The Fox Engine dudes were saying the same things about their tech as well.

Pretty much this. In an interview during E3(think it was on the PS blog) they mentioned specifically that they were trying to do things you would normally only see in films, such as lenses and dirt. this isn't referring to the game is like a movie, that they want to use visual techniques you would only see in a movie.

StiLt

It begins
This gen - "OMG why are games so linear"
Next gen - "OMG why are games so open"

Yup. Because they're usually imbalanced in one direction or t'other.

There's loads of open world on the next gen menu already at this point (which I'm looking forward to). I'm personally not gonna shit on this one just because it isn't. Might just bring balance to the force. Setting looks sweet.

SoilBreak

Banned
I think most are missing the meaning of "filmic" in the context of what he was talking about. I think he's referring to the types of effects they're doing. He specifically mentioned film grain and lens distortion and that other games almost look too clean. I don't think he's saying it's going to be entirely QTE based like Heavy Rain.

Exactly what I thought.

Cheech

TLOU has like 10+ hours of pure gameplay with dynamic encounters that you can approach in several ways and it's not a game. Gotcha. I can see where you're coming from.

Hey, I am actually enjoying Last of Us quite a bit, but it is repetitive as hell. Without the atmosphere and storytelling elements, it would be pretty damn mediocre.

From a pure gameplay standpoint, State of Decay is a FAR better recent "game" featuring zombies.

However, I enjoyed Heavy Rain too, so take it for what it's worth. Just depends on why you play games in the first place, I suppose. There's a place for interactive fiction, which it kind of sounds like The Order is closer to than a traditional game, and that's fine. But I'm not paying $60 for that kind of experience.

I vomited in my mouth a little at every sentence.

I liked their trailer as a piece of concept art, but if they're just going for another highly-directed linear one-and-done experience that restricts every player's experience to the same basic thing, then no thanks.

Fabrik

Banned
So Uncharted X Nightmare Creatures then?
Need to see more but it will probably be linear with little exploration. I'm already a bit less interested as I don't think this game will offer anything new gameplay-wise. Hope I'm wrong because the setting looks awesome.

The overall feel – that filmic experience… the one thing we brought to this is something people are accustomed too but usually can’t tell. When you watch a movie you don’t question what lens is being used. You don’t question why there is grain on the film or why there’s a certain lighting. Those are things we’ve been accustomed to seeing for 30 years. So when it’s missing we usually go “Wait, something is wrong with this image”.

Is he talking about?

Marcel

I vomited in my mouth a little at every sentence.

I liked their trailer as a piece of concept art, but if they're just going for another highly-directed linear one-and-done experience that restricts every player's experience to the same basic thing, then no thanks.

Don't you like movies? Movies with shooting? Where you do the shooting and there are like lenses and shit, bro?

Himself

Despite that description containing some dirty words I'm totally gonna give this the benefit of the doubt till we see some gameplay.

UrbanRats

So Uncharted X Nightmare Creatures then?
Need to see more but it will probably be linear with little exploration. I'm already a bit less interested as I don't think this game will offer anything new gameplay-wise. Hope I'm wrong because the setting looks awesome.

I would cream my pants for a new Nightmare Creatures.
Possibly with Rob Zombie at the soundtrack, again.

Haunted

epic
visceral
immersive
innovative
cinematic
filmic

Stop using these overused buzzwords. These are red flags for me as a consumer.

I think most are missing the meaning of "filmic" in the context of what he was talking about. I think he's referring to the types of effects they're doing. He specifically mentioned film grain and lens distortion and that other games almost look too clean. I don't think he's saying it's going to be entirely QTE based like Heavy Rain.

Yeah, they've already noted that the aspect ratio for the game is 2.40:1.

Isn't that how you could also describe Ryse?

Anyway, not sure how I feel about this. I thought the trailer looked decent enough, but to learn it's this is somewhat disappointing.

D-e-f-

Banned
Cutscenes and QTEs galore.

That is exactly what their answer sounds like to me. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and say that's not what it will end up being but that is the message they're sending and it couldn't be more of a turn-off. This cinematic movement bullshit needs to stop, seriously.

UrbanRats

epic
visceral
immersive
innovative
cinematic
filmic

Stop using these overused buzzwords. These are red flags for me as a consumer.

I think the "filmic" example they gave are not so much a buzzword in this case.
It SEEMS like they're experimenting a bit, visually.

However, I enjoyed Heavy Rain too, so take it for what it's worth. Just depends on why you play games in the first place, I suppose. There's a place for interactive fiction, which it kind of sounds like The Order is closer to than a traditional game, and that's fine. But I'm not paying $60 for that kind of experience.

It's going to be a traditional action game with cutscenes and maybe some QTE's. Like games like TLOU and Uncharted and RE4 and Bayonetta.

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
the moment-to-moment gameplay is really not what you might expect.

This is the main thing giving me hope for the game, otherwise I have a hard time being excited for another shooter with heavy emphasis on story. They kind of teased the weapons being unique, so there's that too.

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
The Order is a third person action adventure with shooting mechanics. It’s very much story-based – it’s a linear story-based game. We’re trying to tell a story. It’s what we call a filmic experience.

Everyone will ignore this and focus on the rest of the sentence.

Hey, I am actually enjoying Last of Us quite a bit, but it is repetitive as hell. Without the atmosphere and storytelling elements, it would be pretty damn mediocre.

From a pure gameplay standpoint, State of Decay is a FAR better recent "game" featuring zombies.

lol no, SoD's community aspect is fun but the actual combat and shooting is ultra generic. TLOU kills it gameplay

Feel some are misinterpreting what they mean by filmic. They layer explain that they are trying to achieve new things with the in game camera that had not been dome before. Which to me is interesting as we all sort of take for granted the camera in games. So them trying new things with lenses and perspective should be interesting.

Of course I can understand where this sentiment is coming from when the only footage shown so far is a real time cutscene and now the word filmic is used. But alas I am optimistic and rather hang on the words "action/adventure with shooter elements"

edit: also I think linear has too much of a negative connotation. Most games are all linear. From Mario to Halo to Uncharted to Bayonetta etc all are linear games in that there is a point A of a level or story and a point B to arrive at regardless how you played the game to get there.

You guys are being too harsh. Basically he had to give a breakdown of the game without saying anything more than was in the trailer.. So basically "its an action adventure... with guns... oh and did you see the cool camera effects we used in the trailer. Thats all I can say"

Marcel

I think the "filmic" example they gave are not so much a buzzword in this case.
It SEEMS like they're experimenting a bit, visually.

I appreciate the experiment, but I have more faith in someone like Kojima after that MGSV trailer rather than the developer that is "inspired" (imitating) by Naughty Dog and released a trailer that had no actual gameplay.

Fox_Mulder

Rockefellers. Skull and Bones. Microsoft. Al Qaeda. A Cabal of Bankers. The melting point of steel. What do these things have in common? Wake up sheeple, the landfill wasn't even REAL!
I'm ok with this

Top Bottom