• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Order: 1886 |OT| Gears of Yore

Zing

Banned
I'm strictly a Nintendo owner, but I am on the fence for a PS4.

I see a significant number of people burning through this game and reselling already. Does this game have zero replay value or is this normal behaviour for current gen games?

Grimsen

MAJOR SPOILERS FOR THE WHOLE GAME FOLLOW
and then the post-credits scene where they may have been waving from behind the scenes going "WE'VE SEEN SUPER HERO ORIGIN FILMS BEFORE, THIS IS HOW THEY HAVE A POST CREDITS SCENE"... No, just no.

I'm not Galahad anymore... I'm Batman.

Zombine

Banned
So, I've played about two hours and some change of The Order and so far it's very much a mix of Heavy Rain or any of the TellTale games mixed with some brutal action like Gears of War. It's an odd combination that I sure as hell would never have thought of putting together but Ready At Dawn did.

It's also and no bullshit here the PRETTIEST FUCKING GAME EVER. This damn game is polished to a level that is just embarrassing for other studios.

The Telltale parts are just like any adventure game, you can actually mess up. I like to see what happens if you do actually. Some of the deaths and other things can be nasty. These are just my first impressions. Not good or bad just letting you know why perhaps this is very much NOT the game that many were expecting. The best way to describe it is - An interactive movie with third person shooting gaming elements, wrapped in the most stunning visuals this console can create. It wasn't really advertised as that very well. I think people were expecting a Gears of War clone and that sure isn't The Order. This is perhaps so many folks have been turned off or not sure what to make of it.

Sold! Picking up my preorder tonight!

Finished it about an hour ago. It was a pretty solid game. I don't mind the length, since it was always just going to be a very story focused game. I'm looking forward to replays though for trophies.

Got to say, I wasn't expecting
to see three penises in the game. That was surprising, to say the least.

nOoblet16

Everyone has like three different names that characters refer to as, the first name, last name and their code name.

And this is all used interchangeably within the main cast itself....for someone who didn't follow up on the game except knowing the fact that the lead guy's codename was Gallahad, it's very confusing. Why even have code names if they are going to use the first or last names whenever they wish ?

Also I should stop looking at it as a game because it might as well have less "game stuff" than even Beyond. It's also more of a movie than even MGS4 despite that game having cut scenes that were half an hour to an hour long or more. Hence, I'll look at it as if it were a movie that allowed you to play it for a bit at times. Still wasted potential though because the art and atmosphere is so goooood !

T.O.P

Banned
I'm strictly a Nintendo owner, but I am on the fence for a PS4.

I see a significant number of people burning through this game and reselling already. Does this game have zero replay value or is this normal behaviour for current gen games?

No new game+ (or weapon choices/upgrades) and no skippable cutscenes kills the replay value imho, considering also the fact that the second playthrough will still be 1:1 to the first

jacobeid

Banned
Good. I'll open up my copy and attempt to run through it this weekend before the value tanks.

I'm doing the same. I'd recommend that you submit the trade in now to lock it in at $40. You won't get the extra 10% even if you have GCU and you'll have to provide the mailing, BUT this will ensure you don't get the shaft if the value plummets this weekend.

Once submitted they need to receive the game within 14 days. You can also just cancel the trade in and go trade it into a store if the value stays high.

Edit: Nevermind, GameFly just shipped a copy to me lol.

despire

Finished it some time ago. Played the whole day straight.

Final verdict is that the game is good. It's not without it's faults (most stemming from being a new IP) but overall a solid product. Enjoyed myself very much with this game.

SaucyJack

Well, I'm glad I ignore reviews!

6 chapters in and really enjoying it. Yes, it's flawed but it's still a good game that is visually gorgeous.

I hope they get the chance to make a sequel as this is a really good foundation for a franchise. Certainly raises the bar for this generation as well.

wotter

My steelbook copy just arrived, I know what I'm going to do this weekend ^^

J5ujKwr.jpg

Hasney

Is there a way to track which items you missed "looking at" in a level for those trophies?
I don't think so. After I realised that, I just followed a video guide for the collectibles.

Especially annoying is in Chapter 9 where a cutscene triggers without you doing anything and you won't have all the collectibles from that room yet, so you have to replay it.

I don't think so. After I realised that, I just followed a video guide for the collectibles.

Especially annoying is in Chapter 9 where a cutscene triggers without you doing anything and you won't have all the collectibles from that room yet, so you have to replay it.

I think I know what you're talking about. Oh well. I will see what happens. I would like a second platinum.

Artex

Banned
My collector's finally shipped. I was worried because I just preordered it yesterday. I'm going to get high as fuck and play this game tonight. I'm actually turning down sex for it even, but it sounds like a grand evening.

Edit: Delivered. My penis is ready.

M.W.

I think I'll probably force myself to take my time with this game, savor it. I don't care about resell value and I generally like taking time with games. Maybe just a few chapters a night will suffice, lol

Just picked up my copy at GameStop.

Two days ago the manager told me the trade in value would be $30.
This morning the guy ringing me up said it's now $27.

Looking forward to finally playing it.
I rarely trade in games, don't plan to trade in The Order either.

Regarding their trade in policy, it seems like they aren't treating it like other new releases.

It blows my mind that people bought this game with the intention of mowing through it and selling it back within a day or two. Why the hell would you not just rent it??? Seems idiotic to me.

Anyway, going to pick up my copy during lunch in a few and proceed to stare at it on my desk all day :| Looking forward to playing it tonight!

Mine just came in! But I won't be able to pick it up until tomorrow :'(

You are not worthy of the moustache, sir.

;)

It blows my mind that people bought this game with the intention of mowing through it and selling it back within a day or two. Why the hell would you not just rent it??? Seems idiotic to me.

Anyway, going to pick up my copy during lunch in a few and proceed to stare at it on my desk all day :| Looking forward to playing it tonight!

Depends where you live, I guess. Around here there's not really any places to rent games.

Cudder

I think I'll probably force myself to take my time with this game, savor it. I don't care about resell value and I generally like taking time with games. Maybe just a few chapters a night will suffice, lol

The funny thing is the game FORCES you to play at a snails pace anyway, and the game is still short.

Hasney

Because I'm making money off it this way. The cash resale price is higher than what I paid.

It's up. It's listed as HE ORDER 1886.
Type in a "*" in the search bar to list highest values.
And it's $40.

$44 with GCU!!!!

Just picked up my copy at GameStop.

Two days ago the manager told me the trade in value would be $30.
This morning the guy ringing me up said it's now $27.

Looking forward to finally playing it.
I rarely trade in games, don't plan to trade in The Order either.

Regarding their trade in policy, it seems like they aren't treating it like other new releases.

So trade it in at Best Buy where they are treating it like other new releases? Best Buy will give you $40 for it, or $44 with GCU.

Because it is cheaper to buy it, play it, and trade it in right now than it is to rent it!! Do you value money? If so, you wouldn't have to ask this question.

Depends where you live, I guess. Around here there's not really any places to rent games.
Really? That's a bummer, I live in a pretty small town but we've always had a place to rent.
Because I'm making money off it this way. The cash resale price is higher than what I paid.
Dang, how did you get such a good deal at launch?

Because it is cheaper to buy it, play it, and trade it in right now than it is to rent it!! Do you value money? If so, you wouldn't have to ask this question.

It costs you over 20 bucks to rent it? I very much doubt that. Even if it did, you're only getting store credit which is not the same as money. You can say you'd be buying another game soon anyway but it's still wasting money you'd save by renting.

drotahorror

Wish there were subtitles for non-english speaking parts.

I just figured I wasn't supposed to know what they were saying when speaking french and other languages. Turns out if you have subs on you do get to see what they're saying.

Really? That's a bummer, I live in a pretty small town but we've always had a place to rent.

No where to rent around here unless you spend $15+ in gas. I bought it digitally anyways, and idgaf. I'm diggin the game well enough and it'll be nice to have on my HDD if some DLC comes out.

When Blockbuster went under that was pretty much the end. We have a couple small independent movie rental places but they don't carry games. There's some Redboxes here but they only carry movies and they just announced they're pulling out of Canada, so that will be gone soon too. I think there's a website you can rent from but it's like $30/month or something crazy, I don't play enough games to justify that.

When Blockbuster went under that was pretty much the end. We have a couple small independent movie rental places but they don't carry games. There's some Redboxes here but they only carry movies and they just announced they're pulling out of Canada, so that will be gone soon too. I think there's a website you can rent from but it's like $30/month or something crazy, I don't play enough games to justify that.

That happened to us too but fortunately we also have a Hastings. Sorry to hear that!

Just wondering if any gaffers got this with very.co.uk with the £50 for £25 deal?

My friend did but he hasn't received his copy even though delivery date was supposed to be today. Anyone else had this issue?

Stuggernaut

Grandma's Chippy

How much are rentals these days? Gotta be cheaper than $20 lol ($60 for new, trade in for $40, so end cost = $20). I have not rented a game in a while so no idea.

Aren't Red Box games $3 a night?

autoduelist

It's self-selection because they have purchased the game and there is a justification element. amirox wrote out a longer post yesterday exploring this. It has nothing to do with you filtering out opinions.

But isn't this the heart of the issue?

Nobody expects everyone to like a given game. I'm sure everyone here loves a game everyone hates, or hates a game everyone loves. For example, I'm a huge fan of Natural Doctrine, but really disliked my time with Persona 4 Golden and wished I was replaying Nocturne instead.

But while claiming that anyone who likes it may be swayed by a justification element may be technically true, it ignores four huge points:

1) Plenty of people dislike games they buy. All the time. I've disliked every visual novel I got talked into buying. I don't need to justify those purchases.

2) The opposite also exists -- people that buy things and don't like them often feel 'ripped off' and may trash a game more than it deserves.

3) Obviously some people trashing it have not bought nor played it, which leads to:

(And perhaps most importantly, )

4) At the heart of the issue, I think, is the 'pile on' feeling this game received. I haven't bought this game, though do want to play it... but it's been clear for the past year that this was one game plenty of people loved to hate on. All the time. Any chance they got. The leadup to Driveclub and Ryse were quite similar, but in general, it's a fairly rare phenomenon where tons of people who have never experienced the game in any significant way 'pile on', as if they want the game to fail from the outset. And it's clearly happening here too, with people trashing the game that have never played it. They defend the reviewers, despite they themselves never having played the game.

And if you're going to pull psychology into the conversation, and try to dismiss positive user reviews as 'confirmation bias', then certainly you also need to call into question many of the negative reviews as well as part of the pile on. Right? It's only fair, because it's just as true -- some people want to burn everything down, especially, for some reason, exclusive games like this or Ryse, and others are just jumping on a bandwagon and assuming it's trash for whatever reasons they do these things.

So if we're going to discount positive reviews based on 'confirmation bias', let's also throw out many of the negative reviews as well.

It saddens me when any project like this (labour of love) doesn't get a fair shake. And while this game may be truly terrible (I don't know), it hasn't gotten a fair shake one way or the other. This game was practically destined to be trashed on forums like this unless it was a masterpiece of such tremendous proportions that no one dared sully its name. That much has been clear for a year, just like with Driveclub. Oddly, Driveclub also has a ton of people saying it's an extremely solid game.

Top Bottom