• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Order: 1886 |OT| Gears of Yore

Z3M0G

Quick question, the DLC pack on the store, it's the same as the pre-order DLC?

https://store.playstation.com/#!/en-ca/the-order-1886-knight%E2%80%99s-arsenal-/cid=UP9000-CUSA00035_00-TO1886GAMEDLC100?emcid=ps-se-718&utm_medium=Paid_Search_{ps}&utm_campaign=Playstation&utm_source=Google&utm_term=ps-se-718&utm_content=Brand

Equip Galahad with alternate Knight uniforms and powerful variant weapons including the explosive Arsonist Rifle and Arc Rifle Prototype which fires devastating bolts of red electricity. Each pack includes an interchangeable uniform and variant weapon.

What EXACTLY are the contents of this DLC pack? I think I'll buy it for my 2nd playthrough (if/when that happens).

Edit: Oh shit, it's got a 30% off sale right now on PSN... first time I ever saw the game itself on sale on PSN.

https://store.playstation.com/#!/en-ca/games/the-order-1886/cid=UP9000-CUSA00785_00-TO1886GAME000000?emcid=ps-se-718&utm_medium=Paid_Search_{ps}&utm_campaign=Playstation&utm_source=Google&utm_term=ps-se-718&utm_content=Brand

I see it had a previous price drop too...

Shin-Ra

Here thar be Siggraph slides!

Rendering the Alternate History of The Order: 1886 | Advances in Real-Time Rendering Course, Part II

This has details on the many anti-aliasing solutions RaD applied, but Matt's custom MSAA filter alone makes a big difference.

• EQAA (MSAA 2x fragments, 4x coverage)
...with custom reconstruction filter for MSAA resolve (this was written October 2012, test pics aren't from TO1886 or PS4)
5yVV7H.png
Standard (box filter) hardware resolve
(2xMSAA)
HbwY0j.png
Custom (b-spline) compute shader resolve
That's without the extra EQAA coverage samples.

8bit

Knows the Score
So, finished this last night. It was fun, but short and super linear.

Also, half expected Galahad to say something like "I am no longer a Knight, but a Dark Knight." while balancing on the rooftop at the end.

Anyway, what was the Armoury option in the menu for? Is this for DLC weaponry or something?

Radec

So, finished this last night. It was fun, but short and super linear.

Also, half expected Galahad to say something like "I am no longer a Knight, but a Dark Knight." while balancing on the rooftop at the end.

Anyway, what was the Armoury option in the menu for? Is this for DLC weaponry or something?

DLC weapon/costume.

Bebpo

Banned
just finished this and I...really liked it. As a game I see all the complaints about not much meat to it, but as a story, it's pretty well directed, has good writing for a game, great cutscene direction, amazing art direction, excellent pacing, great voice acting, and a really good score. It's not perfect as a movie and it wouldn't win any oscars, but it'd be a summer action flick that's actually good and carries some style. Nice setting and worldview too. And the
vampires
genuinely surprised me as I wasn't expecting that at all and it was a neat twist. I also liked the characterization of a good chunk of the main characters like Mallery, Jean-Luc and Lucan.

I can kind of see what they were going for and why they were probably surprised when it got panned. At times the game feels a lot like The Last of Us or Uncharted in the sections between combat where you walk through the story with npcs, climbing walls, jumping across things, put down ladders while the characters talk and the story plays out in a cinematic way. The difference and where they failed with The Order is that when there were gameplay bits they restricted the player far more than those other games in order to push the cinematic feel, including limiting the players weapons to only specific ones for each area (although this is more a gameplay balance style and I'm generally ok with it) and limiting player controls like the ability to crawl stealthy to only context specific sections (ps the stealth stage near the end is pretty horrible). Like if they wanted it to be received more like Uncharted/Last of Us, they should've give the player more freedom and fully consistent controls all the time.

Anyhow even though the ending leaves a lot of questions, I really liked the final lines and the last interactive cutscene. Been done before in a ton of games from Gungrave to MGS but this was one of the most stylish. Very nice cut to credits. In a lot of ways it's a very beautiful game and as someone who likes art through the video game medium, I had a real nice time, couldn't put it down and was throughly satisfied.

I think Ready at Dawn are still great developers and this doesn't mar their track record at all but I can understand that the game isn't for everyone.

Intel_89

I have the chance to pick this up for 15€, is it worth that much? I don't hate what I read/see but players opinions are quite divise, I'd appreciate some help. Thanks!

brau

I have the chance to pick this up for 15€, is it worth that much? I don't hate what I read/see but players opinions are quite divise, I'd appreciate some help. Thanks!

I really enjoyed the game. It was entertaining and just beautiful.

For that price, i think you'll like it.

Actually, i am one that says that wishes this kind of level of quality, animation and storytelling would go into Resident Evil games. lol.

Anyways. Its a fun game, and know lots of people who picked it up and thought it was a fun experience.

brau

^ I see, well I might just do that then, even if I end up disliking it it's not a huge loss. Thanks.

It helps to know what expectations you might have of the game, or what kind of games you like.

The game is linear. It has QTE boss fights and moments. It has some scripted events.

Story ends abruptly.

Gameplay moments is kinda like Uncharted. Bits of shooting. Bits of exposition. Bits of stealth, and some stealth with insta fail if you get caught.

Game is very pretty, and VA and acting of the characters in general is superb. Animations are great, and very responsive looking game.

VFX are stunning.

I had fun. :) But i know a lot of people gave this game a lot of grief.

I also paid 60dlls for the game. I think i would have paid 40 and been happy. I still don't regret my purchase.

Intel_89

It helps to know what expectations you might have of the game, or what kind of games you like.

I'm not a huge fan of Uncharted and even though this seems to have the same'ish cover based shooting gameplay it seems like it's not as fast paced as Uncharted which is a good thing for me. I just expect to have a good time playing through the game at this price, without many frustrating moments in the gameplay department.
Anyway, I just bought the game in the meantime, now I just have to wait for it to get delivered.

AppleBlade

Wow, I just got around to playing this. I do not get the reviews at all. Great Visuals, above average story (especially for video game shooters), great environment/world, solid gameplay mechanics. The game is a bit linear and does nothing interesting from a gameplay standpoint but the scores that this game got in reviews are downright bizarre to me.

Needless to say, I am enjoying the game and feel a bit disheartened that many gamers are going to overlook this experience due to the reviews and the conventional opinion that this game "sucks." If someone is into story-driven games and like to be transplanted to other unique worlds they need to try this game out.

MattVT

I finally had a chance to play this, and I'm a few chapters in. Overall, I'm enjoying it and the fact that it's linear and straightforward. I've played several open-world games in a row and this is a nice break from that style before I jump into Fallout 4 next week. I'm blown away by the visuals. It just seems a step above everything else I've played (no, I don't have a PC). I don't have a tech background, so I'm curious: is a game like this at the limits of what we can expect visually from this gen? Will games like Uncharted 4 top it? Curious to know how a game this pretty can be topped.

So I picked up the game for $30 AUD, I went in expecting the game to be disappointing which I deduced from Reviews and impressions from some Gaf members.

I'm so glad I picked it up, this turned out to be a great game I actually liked the story I just wish it was a bit fleshed out and the gunplay was superb.(The fidelity of the game is divine)

It did end abruptly which was kind of sad, the potential for a sequel is infinite....such a shame it was panned by critics,anyone know if it sold decently?

Paganmoon

So I picked up the game for $30 AUD, I went in expecting the game to be disappointing which I deduced from Reviews and impressions from some Gaf members.

I'm so glad I picked it up, this turned out to be a great game I actually liked the story I just wish it was a bit fleshed out and the gunplay was superb.(The fidelity of the game is divine)

It did end abruptly which was kind of sad, the potential for a sequel is infinite....such a shame it was panned by critics,anyone know if it sold decently?

Up until June it had sold 370k in 20 European markets (Those countries include: Austria, Germany, Belgium, Netherlands, France, Italy, Spain, Portugal, Sweden, Denmark, UK, Ireland, Finland, Norway, Russia, Poland, Czech Republic, Slovakia, Hungary and Greece. So I'd say the major ones). In comparison, Bloodborne had sold 410k in those same markets. Bloodborne is now at over 2 million WW.
Now I don't think The Order is over 2 million, but it should've done over 1 million easily WW. If that's good or bad, depends on what Sony expected it to do. But in my opinion, for a new title, from a studio that isn't very big and considering the reviews it got, I'd say it sold well.

But I don't think we'll see a sequel to it, and not because of the sales, but because of the reviews, I don't see Sony making a sequel to a 63 Metacritic game. I'd love one though, so I hope I'm wrong.

Up until June it had sold 370k in 20 European markets (Those countries include: Austria, Germany, Belgium, Netherlands, France, Italy, Spain, Portugal, Sweden, Denmark, UK, Ireland, Finland, Norway, Russia, Poland, Czech Republic, Slovakia, Hungary and Greece. So I'd say the major ones). In comparison, Bloodborne had sold 410k in those same markets. Bloodborne is now at over 2 million WW.
Now I don't think The Order is over 2 million, but it should've done over 1 million easily WW. If that's good or bad, depends on what Sony expected it to do. But in my opinion, for a new title, from a studio that isn't very big and considering the reviews it got, I'd say it sold well.

But I don't think we'll see a sequel to it, and not because of the sales, but because of the reviews, I don't see Sony making a sequel to a 63 Metacritic game. I'd love one though, so I hope I'm wrong.

Thanks for the info man, I'm quite sad at how this turned out...such a shame Metacritic is even a thing, some great games are considered bad by a metacritic score.

So just to vent a little, I was really turned off by the intro. The long, drawn out first person perspective torture scene was so unnecessary when the same thing is achieved moments later from the more cinematic and fitting (for the title) third person perspective. I'm not sure if it was the frame rate (since I've been playing Battlefront and UC4 beta lately) or the yawn inducing, been there, done that of the whole "escape while injured" thing but I was bored and eventually fell asleep once I gained control. I get that people typically dislike forced walking/hobbling sections but I can usually tolerate them. But this was on another level of cringe.

I'm only posting such negativity because I've never been put to sleep by or felt this way about a game before.

Fwiw, I enjoy games like Until Dawn, Heavy Rain, Beyond: Two Souls and such, so these types of cinematic first, gameplay second games aren't the issue. Does it pick up?

I just beat the game. It was really slow when I initially played it, but after getting through a few chapters I got used to the pacing. The problem is that the best things about it are how gorgeous the graphics are and how cool a couple of the guns are. If the cutscenes weren't so uninteresting and the "press forward to slowly walk" transitions so annoying, I don't think I'd have found the actual gunplay as refreshing as I did while playing the game.

I wouldn't be opposed to them doing a sequel, but I just wish they'd "Resident Evil-ify" it for better or for worse and put more emphasis on the gameplay being fun than on the cinematic cut scenes being so serious. While I'm not a fan of that sort of thing in RE6, I think embracing it could do this game wonders.

And that ending... yeah.

Finally finished this game after buying it around 6 months ago. Found it to be very boring and a waste of a good setting. But then for the last chapter I actually started to enjoy the action a little more and thought the ending was quite satisfying.

Weird. I don't know why I found the beginning and middle the game to be so dull in comparison. Maybe I'm in a good mood r maybe the game just seemed better after playing through the dreadful
stealth sequence.

A boring and ultimately disappointing game but one I think a lot of designers could learn lessons from. And I'd actually like to see a sequel, even if that is unlikely now.

T-0800

Just gone back to this game after finishing UC4 and I'm really enjoying it. Probably getting close to the end now and will probably finish it today. Stunning looking game.

Lifeline

Finally got around to playing this and I enjoyed it a lot more than I thought i would. The story, while not doing anything special, was entertaining enough to keep me going all the way to the end in pretty much one sitting. Gameplay wise, I found it to be fun actually. The "science" weapons were really fun to use, and some of the normal guns like the duelist rifle were a lot of fun to play with as well. Lack of fighting lycans in the normal gameplay was disappointing. I really wanted to try the Thermite Rifle on them. The cutscenes and non-gameplay sections weren't as boring as i thought they would be, mainly because the graphics look amazing and the voice acting is great too.

Overall, i would put it above other TPS like the first Uncharted, it's a solid 7.5-8/10 game. Looking at the metascore, the game is definitely underrated.

The big problem with this game was that it came out at the wrong time. By the time it came out, most gamers and critics had already turned on the cinematic TPS genre, and by it not really doing anything to innovate or change, The Order was the game to take their hate out on. Which is understandable, i think Sony and the developers read the industry wrong when they took on this project. I think we'll see this again with Horizon. Critics and gamers are turning on the Ubisoft(Assassins Creed, Fry Cry, etc)/Warner Bros(Shadow of Mordor) open world formula, and if Horizon does nothing to innovate or change the formula, it'll take the same role The Order did.

Also it's disappointing to see Ready at Dawn wants to work on the sequel, but since Sony owns the IP they aren't letting them.

The big problem with this game was that it came out at the wrong time. By the time it came out, most gamers and critics had already turned on the cinematic TPS genre, and by it not really doing anything to innovate or change, The Order was the game to take their hate out on. Which is understandable, i think Sony and the developers read the industry wrong when they took on this project. I think we'll see this again with Horizon. Critics and gamers are turning on the Ubisoft(Assassins Creed, Fry Cry, etc)/Warner Bros(Shadow of Mordor) open world formula, and if Horizon does nothing to innovate or change the formula, it'll take the same role The Order did.

"Gamers and critics had already turned on the cinematic TPS genre" you say as Uncharted 4 receives incredible critical and commercial success. There isn't some magic, revelatory reason why this game failed. It was simply underwhelming. You compared it to Uncharted ONE, a game that is 10 years old. Is it not possible the bar has simply been raised in that time?

Lifeline

"Gamers and critics had already turned on the cinematic TPS genre" you say as Uncharted 4 receives incredible critical and commercial success. There isn't some magic, revelatory reason why this game failed. It was simply underwhelming. You compared it to Uncharted ONE, a game that is 10 years old. Is it not possible the bar has simply been raised in that time?

Uncharted 4 did a lot more for the genre than The Order did. I guarantee Uncharted 4 would have been panned if the levels remained as linear as Uncharted 3 and there was no gameplay changes like the hook, going in and out of stealth and the driveable areas. Uncharted 4's gameplay felt more fresh and new than The Orders.

And yeah standards have been raised, that's what i'm saying. The game came out too late for something like it to be praised.

Uncharted 4 did a lot more for the genre than The Order did. I guarantee Uncharted 4 would have been panned if the levels remained as linear as Uncharted 3 and there was no gameplay changes like the hook, going in and out of stealth and the driveable areas. Uncharted 4's gameplay felt more fresh and new than The Orders.

And yeah standards have been raised, that's what i'm saying. The game came out too late for something like it to be praised.

So what you are saying is that Uncharted 4 would not have done as well if it was worse? No shit. Critics and gamers like good games. That will never change. The Order was not a very good game. The genre it was in had little to do with it.

Lifeline

So what you are saying is that Uncharted 4 would not have done as well if it was worse? No shit. Critics and gamers like good games. That will never change. The Order was not a very good game. The genre it was in had little to do with it.

I think we're arguing the same point. All i'm saying is that Uncharted 4 wouldn't have done as well if it was more of the same and did nothing to innovate or change. That's what The Order did and it suffered for it.

brau

Finally got around to playing this and I enjoyed it a lot more than I thought i would. The story, while not doing anything special, was entertaining enough to keep me going all the way to the end in pretty much one sitting. Gameplay wise, I found it to be fun actually. The "science" weapons were really fun to use, and some of the normal guns like the duelist rifle were a lot of fun to play with as well. Lack of fighting lycans in the normal gameplay was disappointing. I really wanted to try the Thermite Rifle on them. The cutscenes and non-gameplay sections weren't as boring as i thought they would be, mainly because the graphics look amazing and the voice acting is great too.

Overall, i would put it above other TPS like the first Uncharted, it's a solid 7.5-8/10 game. Looking at the metascore, the game is definitely underrated.

Also it's disappointing to see Ready at Dawn wants to work on the sequel, but since Sony owns the IP they aren't letting them.

I thought the game was fun too. Not original in any way, but i love the presentation and production of it. If the story was better i am pretty sure this would've been better received. But in my mind this game is pretty underrated. I wish Resident Evil games had the quality and production from The Order. Anyways, the game worked, it was a bit short for my taste but who knows if we'll get another game. Which is a shame, because now that they have the first game out, i bet the second could really introduce all kind of fun mechanics or different gameplay scenarios.

ty_hot

I got the game on the weekend, and started and finished today. The game is bigger than I thought, which made me "play just 15 minutes more" because "it's ending already" many times lol I was expecting the game to end at least 3 chapters before it really ended.

Anyway, AMAZING visuals, on par with Uncharted, I really love the "old" filter / color pallet the game has. The audio is also amazing, will definetely play again when I will have a 5.1 set. Both things combined really make a great cinematic experience with great immersion. Did I say that game art, character models, animation, voice acting are all top notch still? Yes sir.

Game play wise, I really enjoy the lockpick mechanics, one of best uses of rumble ever. QTEs are OK, but the boss fights are not nice, you just do the same thing, smash the jump button and the fire button and keep trying. The aim sensivity was a bit too low for the boss fights, which was the only difficulty characteristic of those fights lol

Stealth isnt good but isn't bad and not boring, seems like they just added it to change the pace of the game for a while.

Guns are awesome. Tesla is awesome as well. I didn't read anything about the game before buying, I only knew it had bad reviews, so he was a great surprise. Again: the guns are really awesome and fun to use. Cover and shooting are fine but not superb.

As a single player game its an easy 8 for me, even more if you care about the graphic quality. Bad thing there is no online and apparently no replay value, so the game lose some points... But it definetely can't be far from an 8.

Wouldn't be very happy buying for full price, but the game is small enough that even if you play just a little bit per day you can end in a week and sell, so you end up not losing much. For around 8$ it was a hell of a game.

Waiting for the sequel! Good job Rad.

RedAssedApe

Banned
^ Thought the same. it started coming into its own during the middle chapters as the cutscene to gameplay ratio was a lot more balanced. game seemed longer to me than the 5 hrs people were harping on. although i didn't time myself or anything. Thought it was decently paced.

The last few chapters were pretty much a rush job though. And i didn't
understand why you had to kill lucan. wouldn't the ideal be that you go "fuck you old man do your own dirty work" and you team up? Especially after that fucker kicks you out of the The Order when HE'S THE TRAITOR WHO ADOPTED A LYCAN. Not to mention you can easily clear your name with his body. Instead you become BATMAN

ty_hot

There was a thread this week saying that RaD might be working on the sequel. Who knows.

^ Thought the same. it started coming into its own during the middle chapters as the cutscene to gameplay ratio was a lot more balanced. game seemed longer to me than the 5 hrs people were harping on. although i didn't time myself or anything. Thought it was decently paced.

The last few chapters were pretty much a rush job though. And i didn't
understand why you had to kill lucan. wouldn't the ideal be that you go "fuck you old man do your own dirty work" and you team up? Especially after that fucker kicks you out of the The Order when HE'S THE TRAITOR WHO ADOPTED A LYCAN. Not to mention you can easily clear your name with his body. Instead you become BATMAN

That is true, the beginning has a lot more cutscene/gameplay than the middle-end of the game.

And there are a lot of times that there are 'small' cutscences (like 2-3 seconds long), that happen when you are going from one part of the map to the other(like entering a bulding, or jumping over a wall), for sure they do it so that you dont need a loading screen in the game, but they happen so often that at some point it gets a little bit frustrating. You are like 'wtf? why did they do a cutscene of him jumping from here to there if nothing, NOTHING, happened in the meantime? The engine is awesome, probably the same that is on the God of War reboot (which will not have load screens as well, but on the E3 Demo they didnt have these small cuts at least.

And the game really seemed rushed, there is one chapter that is basically one cutscene, then you play for literally 30 seconds, then another cutscene and then the chapter ends LOL I am sure they had/wanted more to fill the chapters but probably had some tight deadline/pressure?

Top Bottom