• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Order: 1886 |OT| Gears of Yore

Just beat the game. Took almost exactly 7 hours on hard. To say it ended abruptly is putting it lightly. Overall I loved it but man it could have been truly amazing. Combat is great but a little more encounter variety and obviously more of it would have been icing on the cake. Really wish there was an insane difficulty because hard is just too easy even without aim assist. I don't think I used blacksight once after they first teach it to you. Graphics and animations obviously mind-blowing. Reason alone to replay it at some point. Can't wait for the sequel! (I hope)

And that's the thing about this game, if they did some things differently could have been absolutely amazing.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
One thing that kind of bugged me story wise was
Galahad withholding his discoveries from Igraine and Lafayette...I kept saying "Goddamnit, stop acting so unnecessarily suspicious, just tell them!"

I know he took a bit of wisdom from Percival ("trust no one, question everything"), but come on, that's Izzie we're talking about, her and Galahad are supposedly super close no?

I'm guessing he was just trying to protect Isabeau after the incident in the hospital but I'm not sure why he would keep Lafayette out of it. Maybe he thought he was too unfocused and reckless for the situation.

OneUh8

finished the game, only complain i have is that there isn't a dedicated melee button, sometimes you get close to an enemy and the triangle icon doesn't prompt and you get killed instantly, everything else i really really like, hope some DLC gets announced and that this becomes a concurrent franchise

Yeah that was my biggest complaint also. Especially in that
frustrating stealth area.

Galahad withholding his discoveries from Igraine and Lafayette...I kept saying "Goddamnit, stop acting so unnecessarily suspicious, just tell them!"

I know he took a bit of wisdom from Percival ("trust no one, question everything"), but come on, that's Izzie we're talking about, her and Galahad are supposedly super close no?

It bugged me a bit too, but the whole thing about Percival saying that to them probably was foreshadowing what would happen. If you think about it Percival didn't even fill in Galahad with what was going on and I think they've been friends the longest. Plus he wanted to protect Isabeau, telling her something would have put her in danger.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
I'm guessing he was just trying to protect Isabeau after the incident in the hospital but I'm not sure why he would keep Lafayette out of it. Maybe he thought he was too unfocused and reckless for the situation.

La Fayette is also relatively new to The Order, so it's understandable why he wouldn't 100% trust him just yet.

BTW, in certain emotional parts, I was hoping for a better response from my end, but to be honest, the game supposed I already knew the characters. I certainly hope that for the next game we get to see more of the characters before they became Knights, it certainly would be very interesting and good character development.

Skux

Speaking of movies, anyone wanna take a stab at unrealistic fan-casting?

Galahad: Clive Owen
Lafayette: Edward Norton Jr
Isa : Emily Blunt
Percival : Christoph Waltz
Chancellor : Powers Boothe
Lucan : Michael Fassbender
Tesla: Jake Gyllenhaal
Hastings : Tom Cavanagh

Galahad: Clive Owen for the look, Christian Bale for the shouty voice

Movies_Films_C_Children_of_Men_009505_.jpg

christian_bale_beard_brown_ha.jpg

Lafayette: Alain Delon in his prime

Will think of more when I'm not supposed to be working lol

Hoje0308

Banned

That was weird, especially when he ends up confiding in her brother. I suppose it could have been a chain of command thing and he thought he could trust Lucan, so thought it best to not put Izzie at risk.

Edit: Beaten, pretty much.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
That was weird, especially when he ends up confiding in her brother. I suppose it could have been a chain of command thing and he thought he could trust Lucan, so thought it best to not put Izzie at risk.

Working with Lucan made sense to me. He was the one that Percival went to when he needed to get clearance since he was more reasonable than his father and since he was Knight Commander could cover help for them if shit went bad.

Spades

Just started playing - have played for an hour or so.

All I keep thinking is; "I hope this picks up"... It looks stunning, though.

Hoje0308

Banned
Working with Lucan made sense to me. He was the one that Percival went to when he needed to get clearance since he was more reasonable for his father and since he was Knight Commander could cover help for them if shit went bad.

I'd forgotten about that scene with Percival. That makes a lot of sense, especially when you consider how bound to duty these guys are.

Working with Lucan made sense to me. He was the one that Percival went to when he needed to get clearance since he was more reasonable for his father and since he was Knight Commander could cover help for them if shit went bad.
Speaking of which, I remember Lord Hasting said he thanked Lucan for bringing Ravi (is that her name?) and Galahad to his place. How did Lucan know Ravi would come to find Lord Hasting too? Galahad didn't say anything about him and Ravi sabotaging the dock before the mission. So, how did Lucan already prepare a trap for them? Coincidence? I think not.

Speaking of which, I remember Lord Hasting said he thanked Lucan for bringing Ravi (is that her name?) and Galahad to his place. How did Lucan know Ravi would come to find Lord Hasting too? Galahad didn't say anything about him and Ravi sabotaging the dock before the mission. So, how did Lucan already prepare a trap for them? Coincidence? I think not.

Devi is the daughter, Lakshmi is the Queen. I think Lucan was just tasked with helping to take them both out, I think originally it was probably just a trap for Galahad, with the Rebels being a happy coincidence for Lucan/Hastings

Yeah that was my biggest complaint also. Especially in that
frustrating stealth area.

Yeah, thought that was annoying too. So many times I say to myself that this would be so much better if it controlled/handled like The Last of Us. I know it's a different game, but where there is overlap, the controls and some gameplay shortcomings always felt like it was done better elswhere and this game could have used it.

SDCowboy

All I need for the platinum now is to complete the newspapers and even with the youtube guides, I can't find a paper I haven't already gotten. :(

Skux

All I need for the platinum now is to complete the newspapers and even with the youtube guides, I can't find a paper I haven't already gotten. :(

The only one I missed was at the start of chapter 3, turn around at the start of the level, past the wagon you just got off, and it's sitting on a crate. If not, try to tell which headline you don't remember.

SDCowboy

The only one I missed was at the start of chapter 3, turn around at the start of the level, past the wagon you just got off, and it's sitting on a crate. If not, try to tell which headline you don't remember.

That is the only one so far that I know I haven't gotten it. Unfortunately it wasn't enough. I'm still missing one or more. lol

Finished this game a couple of hours ago and while I can see where the reviewers are coming from with their negatives but in no way shape or form does this deserve a 5. A score like that should be saved for a game that's broken or a technical mess. I would personally give this a 7.5 for lacking content and value. Would I buy it for 60? No, for 30? absolutely. I think RAD deserves a chance at a sequel because with the current foundation they have I believe they will knock it out the park. Add some multiplayer and horde, the way the guns feel and handle is screaming for it. I can't wait to see the stuff people make out of photo mode.

Tsokolit

I was missing a gun to get the well rounded trophy to plat so I chapter select to gun fights. This made the game feel much better!..I just want to shoot shit with the amazing guns they created! Well I wish there were MORE open spaced gun battles. Story was good. They have a great foundation. We need a sequel.

DrKelpo

Banned
a quick question about the collectibles... when i start a chapter, look at all the things and then leave again, does this count or have i to finish the chapter?

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
B-eq6vNCAAAe7Jz.jpg

It's break time I guess

What is this? I've never had this happen before. Ever.

It's been enjoyable. I have so many ideas on what I would of added as a creative director.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
You started playing the game with only part of the game downloaded.

This is that E3 press conference living up to what was said. I usually have the entire thing installed. I know it shows the download in the memory settings, but I wasn't sure. Every game I've had so far loads to completion.

Honestly the whole characterisation from the end of chapter 8 through chapter 11 bothered me. I realise I said that before but having seen it through to the end now there wasn't any payoff that redeemed it for me.

I realise they wanted to get Galahad
to a certain point to set up the sequel but it just felt they took so many shortcuts to get there.

In his anger at Malory's death he goes running off straight to the people responsible, but then he pretty quickly gets swayed into joining up with them to infiltrate the docks owned by the company run by something very influential, both within The Order and the world at large.

He finds out there's a conspiracy afoot, and is told that it runs to the heart of his Order, so he immediately goes back to them and starts throwing accusations around with no proof (because he destroyed it all) and then acts all put out when they don't believe him. So decides to infiltrate the home of the very influential person who is actually a vampire, doesn't tell either Isabeau or Lafayette because.....reasons and invites along the head of the rebellion that he was fighting at the start of the game, because hey, just in case something goes wrong you want the situation to really look as bad as possible.

When Ise does catch him at the end of chapter 11 I would have some respect for him if he'd actually owned up to how suspicious and dumb his behaviour was but instead he basically pulls a 'this isn't what it looks like'.

MrMuscle

Just finished it and now im just starved on more lore from the world they have created. Man im hoping there will be books or something.

One thing im wondering about the story is
Who was the guy that helped Tesla pull Galahad from the water? Was that the same "old man" Percival talked to earlier in the game?

Up to chapter 12. This is a good game, BUT, the long drawn out cutscenes that replace gameplay instead of supplementing it keep it from being a great game. There's just not enough "game" here, and when you have entire chapters that are only cut scenes then that's just not gonna go over well.

Speaking of movies, anyone wanna take a stab at unrealistic fan-casting?

Galahad: Clive Owen
Lafayette: Edward Norton Jr
Isa : Emily Blunt
Percival : Christoph Waltz
Chancellor : Powers Boothe
Lucan : Michael Fassbender
Tesla: Jake Gyllenhaal
Hastings : Tom Cavanagh

Curious... why no mention of Lakshmi? I thought Tehmina Sunny's performance was an absolute standout, and her character stole the show (and Galahad's heart) from the frigid Isi.

You do realize Lakshmi has been set up as the leading lady for the sequel, no?

Up to chapter 12. This is a good game, BUT, the long drawn out cutscenes that replace gameplay instead of supplementing it keep it from being a great game. There's just not enough "game" here, and when you have entire chapters that are only cut scenes then that's just not gonna go over well.

I really don't get this as an argument. Why they decided to divide up their chapters as they did who knows but if they just counted the cutscene chapters as parts of other gameplay chapters it would make no difference to the actual content or the pacing that was there.

Something I meant to put into my earlier post but honestly
I'm a bit bummed that the squad is probably not going to factor into a sequel, with Malory dead and Galahad gone rogue.

Has anyone who's gotten the "Inspector First Class" trophy skipped around the chapters or just did a full run of the game again?

I realize the game isn't long and I'm just letting my laziness surface. :p

(Was using a video guide and from Chapter 5 the next group of items to inspect isn't until Chapter 9)

Even for its length, just surprised I can't skip scenes I've already viewed.

It's kind of interesting. In general, after years of seeing every AAA game receive automatic 9s or 10s, I'm all in favor of reviewers looking at games with a more critical eye. It's just weird that the games I've enjoyed the most this generation (Alien, The Evil Within, and The Order) have received the harshest reviews. My taste just must not be aligned with reviewers as much as I thought. As long as the reviews are thoughtful and well written I don't mind a different opinion than mine. I'm just more surprised that I seem to be enjoying these poorly reviewed games this much.

DieH@rd

Banned
Just finished it and now im just starved on more lore from the world they have created. Man im hoping there will be books or something.

One thing im wondering about the story is
Who was the guy that helped Tesla pull Galahad from the water? Was that the same "old man" Percival talked to earlier in the game?

There were some hints about him.
Indian princess mentioned that member of the original Arthur's round table Sir Bors gave her Black Water. Galahad replied how he went missing centuries ago.

viveks86

Yeah that could be it :)

Ravi is the daughter, Lakshmi is the Queen. I think Lucan was just tasked with helping to take them both out, I think originally it was probably just a trap for Galahad, with the Rebels being a happy coincidence for Lucan/Hastings

The daughter's name is not Ravi. It's Devi. I think XxRampage07xX is confusing it with "Rani", which means "Queen" in many Indian languages.

There were some hints about him.
Indian princess mentioned that member of the original Arthur's round table Sir Bors gave her Black Water. Galahad replied how he went missing centuries ago.

I thought she also
implied that he was now dead. I can't remember the exact dialogue but Galahad said that he was alive in East India and she replied something like 'I didn't say he was alive'.

Top Bottom