• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Outfit screens (Xdude 360)

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
the-outfit-20050907062419954.jpg

the-outfit-20050907062417938.jpg

the-outfit-20050907062416235.jpg

the-outfit-20050907062414860.jpg

the-outfit-20050907062413204.jpg

the-outfit-20050907062411563.jpg

the-outfit-20050907062410001.jpg

the-outfit-20050907062408594.jpg

the-outfit-20050907062406938.jpg

wow go X360 :D

raYne

flarkminator said:
Looks ok, I wonder how it plays. I think some of those shots are old?
It plays exactly like how all the interviews/hands ons suggest. :p

Can't wait! Shame it lost launch title status though. :/

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
raYne said:
It plays exactly like how all the interviews/hands ons suggest. :p

Can't wait! Shame it lost launch title status though. :/

Yeah this actually looks pretty good for a first-gen/next-gen game.

bobjuice

Banned
How does that look just ok to anyone? My Small Soldiers done grown up. Can't wait. I'm playing Mercs now and this is anything like that, I'm-a gonna be happy.

FightyF

Banned
It would look 10 times better if the LOD actually increased as you moved closer to the characters. :p It's as if they use the same model...

raYne

TheJollyCorner said:
looks like I'll be virtually playing with toys!

This calls for a G.I. Joe (circa late 80's) game!
But then you couldn't kill anyone, lasers would aways miss completely unless you aimed at a vehicle and that'd blow up after one shot. Not to mention each mission would only last 5 minutes....

Cobra! Retreeeeaaat!

IJoel

I have to say the look of the game is growing on me. From those screens, it does look really nice. I'd say the lighting is one of their strongest points.

FightyF

Banned
When I read that, I read it as if David Cross saying "He literally took his head off!" in a sports announcer's voice. I guess Small Soldiers reminded me of him to begin with. :p

Dr_Cogent

Banned
Looks good.

I really wonder what these machines will be putting out when the devs have had their hands on them for 5 years.

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
This one wasn't even on my radar. It controls like Freedom Fighters? Sign me up!

(PC version please)

I think this looks really good. Love the detail on characters. I dont understand how anyone can think this look crap or just okay... meh.

wow. what...are the billions of unused polys and power packed into those crates? :lol looks like something from this gen with better textures and lighting.

raYne

Lunar Aura said:
wow. what...are the billions of unused polys and power packed into those crates? :lol looks like something from this gen with better textures and lighting.
Spoken like someone who knows nothing about the game.

AI and frame rate need some work judging by the tank and machine gun videos.

If they get the game running at a nice stable 30 fps i dont see how anybody can say it doesnt look next gen.

raYne said:
Spoken like someone who knows nothing about the game.

huh? what do i have to know about the game to talk about what it looks like? i have eyes. look at the bazooka. look at the structures. low poly dressed up in nice textures and lighting. unless the environments are totally destructable then MEH. (imo)

Xenon

Just a few gripes about the graphics

-The backdrop has a Hollywood set look to it.

-explosions look cool until you realize that it’s the exact same one over and over.

-lighting from gunfire and explosions has an unnatural look. The one wall in the 3rd movie was just blinking on and off. In the night this would be ok but it just looks weird given the fact that it sunny out.

bobjuice

Banned
Do people at GAF actually play games or just stare at them? Seems the only thing anyone ever talks about on this board are graphics and box art. Game looks fun to play, isn't that worth anything? Bazooka poly counts?!

lethial

Reeeeeeee
bobjuice said:
Do people at GAF actually play games or just stare at them? Seems the only thing anyone ever talks about on this board are graphics and box art. Game looks fun to play, isn't that worth anything? Bazooka poly counts?!

Or complaining about posts!

raYne

Lunar Aura said:
huh? what do i have to know about the game to talk about what it looks like? i have eyes. look at the bazooka. look at the structures. low poly dressed up in nice textures and lighting. unless the environments are totally destructable then MEH. (imo)
Further proving that you have no clue what you're talking about. People weren't throwing around "scale" and "Mercenaries" for the hell of it.
It's a tactical sandbox concept in which every object can be razed to the ground, making the destruction in Mercenaries seem simplistic and dull.
The level of destruction permeates everything. For example, you might need to cross a suspension bridge to reach an enemy fortress. But the enemy might actually have rigged the bridge so that when you cross it, an air strike devastates your squad. Fortresses might contain hidden massive turrets behind its walls, so by blowing down their walls, you'll instantly brutally powerful guns staring you right in the face. But there are several ways to get things done in this Battlefield-like sandbox. You can grab control of a train, for instance, switch tracks, and use the train as a delayed flanking technique. You can call in air strikes, build up enough currency for multiple tanks, or run straight in all guns blazing. Whichever strategy you pick, the enemy is working on defending his territory with an equal amount of force.
The landscapes are massive. Everything in them is useable or can be reached. If you used binoculars to spy out an enemy that sees a mile away, you can send out scouts to launch a sneak attack or a mortar team to distract it while you lead another squad into for a secondary strike
If you're still fixated on the polys.
The Outfit places as many as 40-60 characters online at once, which means the polygon count per each is lower than some current gen games. But polygons aren't that important anymore. On current and old systems, polygon count was king; the more polygons, the more detail. With Xbox 360, Relic can run several costly techniques simultaneously. It can create 50 2,500-polygon characters on screen at once, each fully normal mapped, but also color mapped, specular mapped, and gloss mapped, with individual pixel shaders created for each character. That's four rendering passes to the Xbox's one or maybe two.
Thanks for your "opinion" though.

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
Date of Lies said:
kinda generic and boring looking (art)

Hm, I dig the character designs. Like WWII propaganda posters come to life. I could do without the gloss map, though. :D

FightyF

Banned
FULLY DESTRUCTABLE!!

HELL YEA!!

Seriously guys...we've been so harped on the graphical enhancements of next gen...and it looks like these guys put it all into enhancing the gameplay. Conceptually this game has already sold me, I hope it pans out (and plays well)!

When they say "40-60 online" was that poor wording or can you actually have 40 players play this online via Live?

ShowDog

It looks really good, the soldiers kind of remind me of Far Cry. I figure pretty soon all Xbox360 stuff will look at least as good as this, very good.

raYne

Fight for Freeform said:
FULLY DESTRUCTABLE!!

HELL YEA!!

Seriously guys...we've been so harped on the graphical enhancements of next gen...and it looks like these guys put it all into enhancing the gameplay. Conceptually this game has already sold me, I hope it pans out (and plays well)!

When they say "40-60 online" was that poor wording or can you actually have 40 players play this online via Live?
I think it's bad wording. We need confirmation (bish!), but other that co-op and adversarial modes, which seems like they're both 2 player modes to me, I don't think I saw anything about that many players online.

He probably meant on-screen... :lol

Top Bottom