• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Panama Papers - Massive leak of secret documents about offshore companies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goo

I wonder if any of the presidential candidates in the US will be in these papers and if some revelation like that would affect their electability?

Condom

Clearly the free market is what gives these world leaders the power to give government contracts to their friends.

The mess would be even bigger in a true free for all free market. This wouldn't even be a scandal then but just how life would be. It's super naive and idealistic to think a free market without public governments (lol) would magically change how capitalism works

The gradual erosion of the supremacy of state sovereignty worries me. There needs to be more international regulation so that these offshore, stateless corporations and NGOs don't continue to grow in power.

considering they sent bankers to jail (unlike everyone else), this is going to be interesting to see play out.
They didn't just send their bankers to jail. They also dropped the billions in money their banks owed to other countries and essentially raised a middle finger to the global financial system. Needless to say that hasn't worked out too well for them.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Will anything substantial happen to any big world powers? Maybe something in Iceland and Pakistan, but Russia? Dubai? Saudi Arabia? Nah...

Definitely not Russia.

The Russian defense force will be defending this all over the Internet or hand waving it away with whataboutisms of the US. It'll be forgotten in weeks if not days.

Foffy

Banned
The mess would be even bigger in a true free for all free market. This wouldn't even be a scandal then but just how life would be. It's super naive and idealistic to think a free market without public governments (lol) would magically change how capitalism works

Human beings love to think about ghosts that somehow "autocorrect" conditioning and habits based in egocentricity, dualism, division, and ultimately conflict. We ignore the thoughts and conditioning which produces all of this.

Invisible hands that self-correct a system run by thought is almost as hilarious as a creator God. It's somewhat worse because even secular thinkers get caught in the socioeconomic spook.

What's funny about this, besides he's obvious shaken up at the line of questions, is his attitude that the journalists aren't playing ball by asking such questions. Like they've broken an unwritten code, which goes a long way to illustrate how this kind of thing can go on for so long, because unfortunately there is a large part of the media who will just stick to the guidlines and only ask the questions they're supposed to ask - which is completely the opposite of what they are meant to be doing.

I'm going to be the cynic and guess that two things will come out of this: jack and shit. These companies and banks and rich assholes continue to get away with this shit because they are rich enough to give no fucks when caught. Monarchs of their country? Who the fuck is going to touch them? Even rich asshole politicians will get what, slapped with a fine that is insanely small to the billions upon billions that they have made and secreted away?

They do this shit because they know, even if they get caught, that the benefits outweigh the costs. Banks do it all the fucking time, and until the penalties start to actually mean shit, they will continue to do it. And they will continue to destroy countless lives in the process because they know they can and they don't give a shit.

not enough yet... I'm more looking for hypocrisy, mainly. Like people from the IMF, CDU or others who talk about austerity and such, how important it is for everyone to pay their debt/taxes while at the same time screwing the whole system

or something like this, lol
going into bed with ass holes just because the oppose other ass holes doesn't never made much sense too me and should be called out as much as possible.

1) How about we indict Gazprom Gerd? No? Only feeling it for the evil CDU? Wanna bet that Gabriel ends up with a bord of directors seat at Edeka-Tengelmann?

2) No one went to bed with Poroshenko, he was voted into office by more than a half of the Ukrainian electorate, if I remember correctly. What is the alternative to supporting Ukraine anyhow? "Going to bed" with annexing / warmongering assholes?

chadskin

More on FIFA:
Jerome Valcke, the secretary general of Fifa from 2007 until he was sacked by the governing body in January this year, also appears in the papers.

Valcke was banned by Fifa's ethics committee for 12 years in February for a series of breaches concerning its code of ethics.

Swiss authorities opened criminal proceedings against him earlier this month concerning "various acts of criminal mismanagement".

Documents suggest not only the extent of Valcke's wealth but also how he used Mossack Fonseca to create and then be installed as the hidden owner of a British Virgin Islands company called Umbelina SA.

Umbellina was used to purchase a 2.8m euro yacht, which Valcke subsequently renamed 'Ornella', after his current wife.

A source close to Valcke said the yacht was declared to the relevant tax authorities.

Furthermore it is claimed the company was not used for any other commercial or business purposes.

There is no suggestion of any wrongdoing by Valcke but the disclosure suggests the extent to which individuals within the football world use offshore companies to hide ownership of assets.
http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/35954640

3ShpXQh.jpg

Already a reaction in Iceland: Iceland’s PM faces calls for snap election after offshore revelations | News | The Guardian

What's funny about this, besides he's obvious shaken up at the line of questions, is his attitude that the journalists aren't playing ball by asking such questions. Like they've broken an unwritten code, which goes a long way to illustrate how this kind of thing can go on for so long, because unfortunately there is a large part of the media who will just stick to the guidlines and only ask the questions they're supposed to ask - which is completely the opposite of what they are meant to be doing.

Yep, I wholeheartedly agree.

I hope this sparks an occupy red square.

@olliecarroll

For those wondering, expect zero fallout from #panamapapers in Russia. Massive govt corruption hardly news, and media mostly stitched up…

G.ZZZ

Capitalism at work.

Wanting to get back money from the 1% is commie talking.

Free market never worked better.

The idea of social welfare is not sustainable.

You are a conspiracy theorist for thinking that rich people would do that.

No i'm a realist. People with money will do anything to protect their interest. People that can't see that they basically control much of the information network with their money and don't understand that their own opinion are extremely biased in favor of the rich are just stupid. When we talk about redistributing wealth, we're not doing so because we're commie, but because the economical situation of the common people over the last 40 years has gone to shit and it's getting worse despite what everyone is trying to say to us. Data don't lie, those paper don't either.

But some people think they live in Candido's world. Fuck them and fuck the 1%.

Condom

As someone active in leftist politics I hope this means we can stop the Ukraine-EU deal and deal some blow to neoliberal parties. Gotta make the most of this leak. The coming week will be field day all day every day.

And my country - The Netherlands - is again the place for a lot of these business to go through also. The extra tax income here is nice for us, but they really should put a stop to it. It's bullshit and everyone knows it.

Not that surprised by the names and countries on that list. Let's see if we get more European and American businesses and names in the coming time.

Hope they keep the pressure on it and release new stuff for a long time. That's a lot of data.

Purkake4

Banned
Wow, this is pretty crazy.

Especially surprised about Iceland, at least there's some hope for consequences there.

Just saw a poll that the Pirate Party was leading polls if an election were held.

That would be crazy.

I don't think this will have a major obvious effect but more and more of these leaks and their local effects have to have the effect that people fear this stuff coming out so the culture might change as time goes on.

chadskin

More on Russia:
Ivan Malyushin served as the deputy head of the Department for Presidential Affairs (DPA) during the five years that he owned Anttrin Services Corp. That makes him one of the highest-ranking Russian officials to turn up in a trove of secret records from a Panamanian firm.
One of Malyushin’s closest business partners is Gennady Petrov, considered by European law enforcement to be the leader of the Tambovskaya criminal gang that originated in 1988 in St. Petersburg.

Petrov was arrested in Spain in 2008 during the special operation Troika. Along with several other Russian crime figures, Petrov was indicted on numerous charges including money laundering, tax evasion, fraud, arms trafficking, drug smuggling, extortion, ordering assaults and murders.

As evidence, Spanish prosecutors have produced police wiretaps to prove that Petrov and his people were connected with the highest Russian officials.

Petrov’s network in Moscow, according to the indictment, included Viktor Zubkov, ex-prime minister and current chairman of the board of Gazprom; Zubkov’s son-in-law, former Defense Minister Anatoly Serdyukov; and Deputy Prime Minister Dmitry Kozak.

According to Spanish prosecutors, Petrov had influential friends among top officials of Russian law enforcement. For example, police say Petrov helped former Putin classmate Alexander Bastrykin to become the head of the powerful Investigative Committee, that handle the country’s most sensitive cases.

Nikolay Aulov, deputy head of the Federal Drug Control Service, is described in the indictment as “one of the most important persons for Petrov” in Russia (investigators logged 78 phone calls between Aulov and Petrov).

Malyushin was not identified by Spanish investigators in the case, but OCCRP reporters found numerous connections between Malyushin and Petrov.
https://www.occrp.org/en/panamapapers/high-russian-official-offshore/

I wonder if any of the presidential candidates in the US will be in these papers and if some revelation like that would affect their electability?
Eh. The IRS is pretty good and there are tons of tax loopholes to exploit legally that I don't see this being as needed with US politicians but I could be wrong.

Capitalism at work.

Wanting to get back money from the 1% is commie talking.

Free market never worked better.

The idea of social welfare is not sustainable.

You are a conspiracy theorist for thinking that rich people would do that.

No i'm a realist. People with money will do anything to protect their interest. People that can't see that they basically control much of the information network with their money and don't understand that their own opinion are extremely biased in favor of the rich are just stupid. When we talk about redistributing wealth, we're not doing so because we're commie, but because the economical situation of the common people over the last 40 years has gone to shit and it's getting worse despite what everyone is trying to say to us. Data don't lie, those paper don't either.

But some people think they live in Candido's world. Fuck them and fuck the 1%.

Lol, take a wild guess as to why corruption in Eastern European countries is such a big problem.

chadskin

The Mossack Fonseca documents include the names of nearly 20 high-profile soccer players, past and present, representing some of the globe’s best-known professional football clubs, including Barcelona, Manchester United and Real Madrid.

Among the names: Lionel Messi.
The Barcelona star, a five-time world player of the year, is already under indictment in Spain on charges that he and his father, Jorge Horacio Messi, used offshore companies in Belize and Uruguay to stiff the government out of millions of dollars in taxes.

The leaked documents show that Messi and his father owned yet another offshore company in Panama: Mega Star Enterprises.
https://www.occrp.org/en/panamapapers/ethics-guru-ties-to-fifa-scandal/

Dingens

1) How about we indict Gazprom Gerd? No? Only feeling it for the evil CDU? Wanna bet that Gabriel ends up with a bord of directors seat at Edeka-Tengelmann?

2) No one went to bed with Poroshenko, he was voted into office by more than a half of the Ukrainian electorate, if I remember correctly. What is the alternative to supporting Ukraine anyhow? "Going to bed" with annexing / warmongering assholes?

Schroeder and his pal Blair should first and foremost be hanged for their countless betrayals of the working class. And if I'm not mistaken, Gabriel is also part of the new right wing-social democracy, therefore I have no sympathies for him. I'm not sure what you're trying to imply here? That I'm an SPD voter and just against the CDU or something? I'm not, I'm not even from germany.

2) just a thought, how about not going to bed with either one? how's that? There was absolutely no need to take sides. (but that's not really relevant to this thread)

Definitely not Russia.

The Russian defense force will be defending this all over the Internet or hand waving it away with whataboutisms of the US. It'll be forgotten in weeks if not days.

The RT article is pretty funny: goes into detail on all the other aspects of it, then just says something like "oh yeah, there's some allegations about Putin's mates" at the end, as if it's a minor part of it.

chadskin

More on Poroshenko:
On August 21, 27 Ukrainian soldiers fell in what would become known as the “Ilovaisk Kettle,” victims of intense Russian rocket bombardments.

That was the same day Poroshenko’s BVI holding company was officially registered.
On September 1, 2014, Poroshenko announced Russia has openly attacked Ukraine. On the same day he provided Mossack Fonseca with a copy of his utility bill to prove his home address.
https://www.occrp.org/en/panamapapers/ukraine-poroshenko-offshore/

Kifimbo

If Putin and the PM of Iceland are the biggest names here, I also think this won't change much. Putin isn't a surprise. Iceland is a tiny country.

BobLoblaw

Banned
As long as even one of these corrupt pieces of trash lose their position, title, or influence, then I'm gonna call it a win.

Spwn

Even Jackie Chan is involved in this!

I'm anxiously waiting for tomorrow and see how much leading people from Finland are going to be named in the documents. Wouldn't mind the parliament getting a makeover.

Condom

If Putin and the PM of Iceland are the biggest names here, I also think this won't change much. Putin isn't a surprise. Iceland is a tiny country.

This is just the beginning mate. There is still weeks of information waiting for us.

Assad and Putin close friends, no big US politicians, it smell like a diversion job : feed the disposable ones to quell the plebs.

Out of curiosity, is the Icelandic PM the one who wanted to save the Icelandic banks ?

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Even Jackie Chan is involved in this!

I'm anxiously waiting for tomorrow and see how much leading people from Finland are going to be named in the documents. Wouldn't mind the parliament getting a makeover.
I'm loving it. Specially given his high-horse, rah-rah nationalist attitude.

And seeing the Spanish royal family covered in mud once again is all but shocking.

trebbble

It's difficult to even wrap your head around the scale of this, and it's just one law firm that's been compromised. It'll be very interesting to see how this plays out over the next few weeks and months. It really does seem like corruption really runs wilder than even some conspiracy theories may have thought, albeit in a rather mundane way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom