• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Panama Papers: Iceland's Prime Minister Resigns

Status
Not open for further replies.

Africanus

Breaking story.
BBC said:
The prime minister of Iceland has resigned - the first major casualty of the Panama Papers leaks which have shed an embarrassing spotlight on the world of offshore finance.
The leaks, from Panama law firm Mossack Fonseca, showed PM Sigmundur Gunnlaugsson owned an offshore company, Wintris, with his wife.
He was accused of concealing millions of dollars worth of family assets.
A big protest was held in front of parliament in Iceland on Monday.
Reports suggest the agriculture minister will be the new PM.
Dozens of high-profile global figures are named in the huge Mossack Fonseca leak.
After refusing to resign on Monday, the prime minister appeared to come under increasing pressure from within his governing coalition.

Link here.

Already large ramifications.

Abounder

Banned
Love Iceland, they even had the common sense to jail bankers for the 2008 crash. They do not put up with this shit

Crazy that the line of succession in Iceland is the agriculture minister lol.

I'm sure it's not really a stated succession plan like the US but still a bit of a giggle.

Dabanton

I'm wondering which world leaders won't be pulled into this.

You have countries that don't give a shit like Russia and China but I'm more interested in countries where our leaders have pushed austerity whilst engaging in stuff like this.

If I'm following correctly this law firm is not the biggest firm doing this? I bet a lot of shredding has been going on since this thing hit.

Mii

Banned
I'm wondering which world leaders won't be pulled into this.

You have countries that don't give a shit like Russia and China but I'm more interested in countries where our leaders have pushed austerity whilst engaging in stuff like this.

If I'm following correctly this law firm is not the biggest firm doing this? I bet a lot of shredding has been going on since this thing hit.

More likely heavy duty application of encryption and better controls on who has access to what. This is total amateur hour by large US professional service firm standards.

Remember that much of this material isn't illegal and is a breach of client privacy. This firm will never get work again.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
This certainly saves the President's time on thinking what to do with the situation. Good for Iceland, I hope this is the first of many.

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children
I hope more big names come out. Let the heads roll. Or not probably, but let's expose them anyways.

Good. The writing was on the wall though. No one else in his government tried to defend him, and he did some laughable shit like walking out on an interview with Swedish public television news when the subject of these affairs was brought up.

Now hopefully we get a snap election and a left-wing government.

AlphaDump

Gold Member
More likely heavy duty application of encryption and better controls on who has access to what. This is total amateur hour by large US professional service firm standards.

Remember that much of this material isn't illegal and is a breach of client privacy. This firm will never get work again.

Unfortunately this. Even evil super villans apply lessons learned.

Joriaan

Neo Member
Iceland is a pretty small country. Their PM is small fry.
Doesn't matter, politics is politics regardless of size, so is corruption. Big or small, it has to be dealt with, and Icelanders do while other countries don't. And lo and behold: country's thriving. That should be a signal to how it's done, something to use as an example of precedent, instead of being rationalized awayby saying "it's small".

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Crazy that the line of succession in Iceland is the agriculture minister lol.

I'm sure it's not really a stated succession plan like the US but still a bit of a giggle.

His successor is the deputy leader of the party, not just the agriculture minister.

Meanwhile in the US, it's known ponzi schemers, known tax evaders, all of whom have been arrested, charged, and paid fines for, this in particular...then a bunch of legitimate businesses and retirees buying legitimate real estate. Where's the beef?

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
The CIA propaganda machine is amazing. Creating a fake country, a fake Icelandic prime minister and having him pretend to resign just to make Putin look bad.

Strax

Good. The writing was on the wall though. No one else in his government tried to defend him, and he did some laughable shit like walking out on an interview with Swedish public television news when the subject of these affairs was brought up.

Now hopefully we get a snap election and a left-wing government.

Thats not true at all. The last week (including today) has been nothing but support and sadness that he has to leave from his government.

norinrad

He and his wife should probably have done the right thing when he became a Prime Minister, except they probably thought they could get away with it.

Ekdrm2d1

Remains party leader? Wtf? That makes no sense.

06iceland-web-master675.jpg

That smile though

Iceland seems to give a shit about corruption and stuff so he wouldnt have lasted long if he stayed.

I dont expect many other leaders caught up in this to do anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom