• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Panama Papers - Massive leak of secret documents about offshore companies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Pretty scary it doesn't even get a mention on the major US news sites, but not unexpected.
Glad to see a French Canadian newspaper reported on it, at least.

http://www.lapresse.ca/internationa...rgement-utilises-par-des-leaders-mondiaux.php

English Canadian media also reported on it... but it's not a major headline, barely frontpage:
http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/panama-leak-offshore-records-putin-messi-money-1.3518951

The Editor in Chief of Süddeutsche Zeitung responded to the lack of United States individuals in the documents, saying to "Just wait for what is coming next".

yikes

Hah, nice. I wish I could hope for some real repercussions though...

Pennywise

Implicated sitting politicians in an election year? I can't even imagine...

I bet the majority will be economic based figures, which isn't the biggest suprise.

Maybe we will find a few gems here and there.

Damn what a massive job and that it all went unnoticed is even better.

Oynox

https://panamapapers.icij.org/

right hand side, sign up for updates ;)

Did that as soon as I read the OP. But got nothing yet, of course. Hopefully they will send good summaries. The SZ in Germany hides some articles for free users, offering them only to subscribers.

The Editor in Chief of Süddeutsche Zeitung responded to the lack of United States individuals in the documents, saying to "Just wait for what is coming next".

yikes

Would be interesting to see if any candidates or relatives or friends or whoever connected to them was involved....

I hope something big comes of all this, and that it benefits humanity as a whole for exposing these fraudsters, cheats, and liars.

What are the chances that Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton's name shows up. Legends

possibly none

https://www.craigmurray.org.uk/arch...tekeepers-protect-western-1-from-panama-leak/

"What do you expect? The leak is being managed by the grandly but laughably named “International Consortium of Investigative Journalists”, which is funded and organised entirely by the USA’s Center for Public Integrity. Their funders include

Ford Foundation
Carnegie Endowment
Rockefeller Family Fund
W K Kellogg Foundation
Open Society Foundation (Soros)"

chadskin

The Miami Herald has a few stories related to Miami, Brazil and Mexico:

1) How secret offshore money helps fuel Miami’s luxury real-estate boom
2) Brazil’s former top judge hid price he paid for Miami condo
3) A well-connected Mexican tycoon stashes a fortune overseas

... and teases the stories that are yet to come:
4) The middlemen who create a pipeline
5) Secret offshore companies trace back to condo featured on Miami Vice
6) How a drug lord washed her profits
7) Fast-living Italian fugitive used Miami firms in alleged laundering scheme
8) The new offshore haven: Wyoming
9) Stoner gun-runner drama shows up in offshore leaks

Famassu

It depends on who own the news studios. If parent companies are involved they probably wouldn't talk much about it. Internet websites, tv outside of the US, radio, and newspapers though...
At least in Finland, the work is being done by YLE, our national broadcast company, so there shouldn't be any conflicting interests with them and parent companies because they don't have one. And I'd like to think that our government isn't so corrupt or have so much power over them that they could keep things hush hush.

cacildo

possibly none

https://www.craigmurray.org.uk/arch...tekeepers-protect-western-1-from-panama-leak/

"What do you expect? The leak is being managed by the grandly but laughably named “International Consortium of Investigative Journalists”, which is funded and organised entirely by the USA’s Center for Public Integrity. Their funders include

Ford Foundation
Carnegie Endowment
Rockefeller Family Fund
W K Kellogg Foundation

Well, this is... not good

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
possibly none

Ford Foundation
Carnegie Endowment
Rockefeller Family Fund
W K Kellogg Foundation

Soros is involved. Lol
Wonder what those implicated in this "leak" did to piss him off?

Blablurn

th22s2w.jpg

SiteSeer

possibly none

Ford Foundation
Carnegie Endowment
Rockefeller Family Fund
W K Kellogg Foundation

they'll drag second and third world names out (putin looks like hes the poster child of these papers so far) but obfuscate their own dealings. any possibility we'll see a true unbiased report on these or will these papers only be redirected and framed to further the establishment agenda?

they'll drag second and third world names out (putin looks like hes the poster child of these papers so far) but obfuscate their own dealings. any possibility we'll see a true unbiased report on these or will these papers only be redirected and framed to further the establishment agenda?

that's what the article I linked delves into. Pointing at Syria, the rest of the middle east, and Russia seem to be more important than anything else. Painting the east as villainous and monstrous while the west slides by unscathed.

time will tell though, on the interactive map linked here virtually every western country (including the US) had companies / holdings so we'll see going forward

HariKari

Wikileaks supposedly has all of the documents. I'm reading that major US partners were kept out of the investigation on purpose.

SmartBase

Besides giving IR and IB students some juicy material for their work and making a few state officials uncomfortable, what can we actually expect from this? Does anyone even care about private players?

Famassu

Like I pointed out, not all the media delving into these leaks are owned by corporations. So unless they actually somehow prevent access to a portion of these leaked files, everything should come out eventually, no matter who it is it'll condemn. They've already revealed Cameron's father, Iceland's PM and one of the biggest Northern European banks (Nordea) being neck deep in these dealings, so it's not like they are doing nothing in regards to Europe other than Russia. Putin is just a pretty huge fucking deal considering how little we know of anything going on in those circles.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Glad to see a French Canadian newspaper reported on it, at least.

http://www.lapresse.ca/internationa...rgement-utilises-par-des-leaders-mondiaux.php

English Canadian media also reported on it... but it's not a major headline, barely frontpage:
http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/panama-leak-offshore-records-putin-messi-money-1.3518951

It's on the French CBC front page. Since they were involved, it seems no Canadian names showed up because they didn't mention any.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
Besides giving IR and IB students some juicy material for their work and making a few state officials uncomfortable, what can we actually expect from this? Does anyone even care about private players?

Nobody will care. This sort of scandal is harder for people to wrap around than other popular scandals.

This leak is Soros and company taking jabs at people they don't like.

chadskin

Wikileaks supposedly has all of the documents. I'm reading that major US partners were kept out of the investigation on purpose.

WikiLeaks doesn't and it'd be irresponsible to publish them, considering the amount of very personal information (passport copies, bank accounts, credit card details and many more) they contain and considering that not everyone implicated in these documents is necessarily guilty of wrongdoings. I like(d) WikiLeaks but their attempt to stay relevant through this when, as it turned out, they had nothing to do with this is rather poor.

With regards to the "Editor in Chief of Süddeutsche Zeitung" tweeting "Just wait for what is coming next":
1) he's the "Head of Digital" for SZ
2) that's not what he meant:
No, it just means: relax. What's in the files will ne published without fear or favor.
https://twitter.com/ploechinger/status/716773530436825088?lang=de

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Yes. This is pleases me greatly. I hate the fact that wealthy people succeed at hiding their money, which could be used to help less fortunate people.

Hope that countries where implicated people are, put their tax collecting agencies to work.

chadskin

And so it begins

Australian tax office probes hundreds for possible tax evasion after Panama Papers leak
The Australian Tax Office (ATO) said on Monday it is investigating more than 800 wealthy clients of a Panama law firm for possible tax evasion.
"Currently we have identified over 800 individual taxpayers and we have now linked over 120 of them to an associate offshore service provider located in Hong Kong," the Australian tax office said in a statement emailed to Reuters. It did not name the Hong Kong company.

ATO Deputy Commissioner Michael Cranston said his office was working with the Australian Federal Police, the Australian Crime Commission and anti-money laundering regulator AUSTRAC to further cross-check the data.

"Some cases may be referred to the Serious Financial Crime Taskforce," Cranston said in the statement. "The message is clear - taxpayers can't rely on these secret arrangements being kept secret and we will act on any information that is provided to us."

Walpurgis

Banned
Holy shit.
They put a map up showing the number of companies/clients involved, here's the US:

https://briankilmartin.cartodb.com/viz/54ddb5c0-f80e-11e5-9a9c-0e5db1731f59/embed_map
Wtf at Canada compared to the U.S. Adjusting for population, Canada is a dump.
It's on the French CBC front page. Since they were involved, it seems no Canadian names showed up because they didn't mention any.
What?! I can't believe that. I've had some strong suspicions about my province's premier and there's the entire senate, also plenty of idiot MPs to make it onto this list. I think they will show up in an update.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom