• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The pandemic in the US is over

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raven117

Well my "stance" is conflicted. Emergencies inherently put saving lives at odds with fair and just democratic processes.
There isn't time to go around sending ballots to the populace to enact measures.
Yeah, it is a tricky call. In the beginning, I understand. But as time went on, the science really didnā€™t support it or at least support it enough for folks to be as militant about it.

it really became more about political ideology and a way to quickly identify who believed what. (Or their stand on it within 5 seconds).

it became more about control and far less about ā€œsaving lives.ā€ I know that sounds like a right wing talking point, but just look at the science. Itā€™s marginal at best of whether they do anything real.

Edit: see above

Last edited:

JayK47

Menards was weird. Every employee wearing masks, most customers wearing masks, so I asked if we needed to wear masks and they said no. So we joined the minority and did not wear masks.

At least my favorite restaurant greeted us maskless. Hopefully in the coming weeks I don't need to carry it around anymore.

Raven117

Menards was weird. Every employee wearing masks, most customers wearing masks, so I asked if we needed to wear masks and they said no. So we joined the minority and did not wear masks.

At least my favorite restaurant greeted us maskless. Hopefully in the coming weeks I don't need to carry it around anymore.
Itā€™s all changing fast. By Memorial Day or a little after, things will settle down with the masks

CloudNull

Banned

Wink Nod GIF by Pizza Ranch

Christopher

Whatā€™s with NJ still holding on to indoor masks? Like who the fuck is he not a king take that shit off if your vaccinated

Hulk_Smash

Banned
I love everything about Costco. Their business model, how they treat their employees, their dividend, their free samples, and now I can add turning away these dipshits so I don't have to shop in their vicinity to the list. Well done, Costco.
Yessss... All is going according to plan... accept the state as your new masssssterss...

Hulk_Smash

Banned
Alternate headline:

ā€œCalifornia will continue to give all of its tourist dollars to neighboring states.ā€

Another headline:

ā€œCalifornia continues to not give a shit about small businesses.ā€

So the pandemic isn't over, and this needs to be clear. It's just that it doesn't matter if people get covid because the vaccine means we have the hospital capacity to hold ill persons. I saw almost no covid between January through mid-April in my practice, and I'm being exposed on a regular basis again by people who are not vaccinated, and by no one who is vaccinated.

I support a lifting of the mask mandate, but silly to say it's over. I somewhat suspect we will be asked to wear masks again around October or early November unless we have a terrific vaccination push.

It became more about control and far less about ā€œsaving lives.ā€ I know that sounds like a right wing talking point, but just look at the science. Itā€™s marginal at best of whether they do anything real.
I'm gonna say this once. Fuck you. Seriously. Control? One of my friends died at 36 from the virus. My uncle died at 61. My godmothers daughter died at 45. Fuck you and your "control". There was nothing political about wearing a mask to protect yourself or to slow the spread. Look at the science. Masks don't do that much. Most people wore them incorrectly or had an ill fitting mask or used a single layer gaiter. A good fitting mask that had the proper layers helps immensely. My friend that died at 36? He was a nurse working at the hospital.

Kev Kev

I'm gonna say this once. Fuck you. Seriously. Control? One of my friends died at 36 from the virus. My uncle died at 61. My godmothers daughter died at 45. Fuck you and your "control". There was nothing political about wearing a mask to protect yourself or to slow the spread. Look at the science. Masks don't do that much. Most people wore them incorrectly or had an ill fitting mask or used a single layer gaiter. A good fitting mask that had the proper layers helps immensely. My friend that died at 36? He was a nurse working at the hospital.
sorry for your loss. My dad almost died from covid, so I understand that losing people to the virus is very real, and yes masks do work (how much they work is debatable, but at the very least the keep us from sticking our fingers in our nose and mouth... so i dont 100% agree with that poster on that point).

but heā€™s right about the control part. Wearing masks became very politicized. People who were pro mask were using it more as ammo to dunk on there political opponents, or the opposite with Ron DeSantis, who was supporting anti mask To get his name out there and start ramping up his 2024 presidential run.

With the vaccines having been rolled out for a while now, the mask mandates should have been lifted weeks ago, if not months ago. Fauci was getting grilled on national television and being wishy washy with his answer on when they can be taken off, Biden and other politicians would be wearing masks around each other despite the fact they were all vaccinated, etc. so many of these instances were performative, displays for political points to keep pro mask people on their side, or in other words control. Again, DeSantis and other republicans did the same shit, just on the other side in order to keep anti mask voters on his side.

so, I donā€™t think your fuck you comments were necessary or warranted to that gaffer, and I think youā€™re being naive and just straight up wrong if you think wearing masks was more about saving lives and honest virtues than it was about maintaining control of your voter base and the American people, as it relates to the last few months, at least.

Last edited:
Remember when people were pointing to Texas as an anti-science powder keg that was about to explode?

With Texas and Florida leading the way, it hopefully gives the chicken little states the courage they need to allow their citizens to live their lives again.

I think this upticks we see happen regardless of mask wearing or not. I can see a scenario in which Texas/Florida have another mid-summer spike.

CAB_Life

People need to start addressing the fact that 80% of critical care Covid patients are obese. I've seen this mentioned in a grand total of one MSM interview with a pediatrician when that very young and very overweight 12 year old passed away from Covid complications here in Canada. Obesity continues to be the real killer and indicator of any health issues, including the virus. It's not a stretch to say that's why the US was hit so hard, too.

Wearing a mask won't protect you as well as dropping to a healthy weight.

Science.

Aesius

People need to start addressing the fact that 80% of critical care Covid patients are obese. I've seen this mentioned in a grand total of one MSM interview with a pediatrician when that very young and very overweight 12 year old passed away from Covid complications here in Canada. Obesity continues to be the real killer and indicator of any health issues, including the virus. It's not a stretch to say that's why the US was hit so hard, too.

Science.
The media will never focus on this because a huge chunk of their ad money comes from the manufacturers of sugary processed food and drugs designed to treat the various symptoms associated with being obese.

Last edited:
The media will never focus on this because a huge chunk of their ad money comes from the manufacturers of sugary processed food and drugs designed to treat the various symptoms associated with being obese.
Weā€™re getting to the point where soon it will be offensive to say being fat is unhealthy at all. I hear it all the time. ā€œOh Iā€™m only 30lbs overweight. Thatā€™s not so bad.ā€ Pick up a 30 lb weight sometime and carry it around for 5 minutes. Americans are fat. Being fat is bad. Being fat is not a complicated thing to solve. It may be hard for people that have an unhealthy relationship with food, but itā€™s not complicated. Eat less. Being more active helps, but eat less.

Last edited:

p_xavier

Authorized Fister

Science.
But?
UAC49pk.jpg

AJUMP23

Science.
This is what has concerned me the most about be a somewhat over weight individual. I exercise, I also eat too much.

Kev Kev

Science.
100,000%

and thats why india is having such a problem as well: they have some of the most obese people in the world. they also happen to have some of the skinniest, malnourished people in the world. yeah no shit they are dropping like flies. i dont think masks could have helped that situation very much. people who are that unhealthy in a pandemic are at insanely high risk.

and you know the craziest thing? most of those people didnt lose a single pound over the last year. smh. and then they still scream, cry and yell at everyone to wear masks and find yet another way to blame everyone else and the pandemic itself on all of their problems. like, motherfucker, if you werent such a fat ass you wouldnt have to worry so much about dying from a virus that is just a mild flu for most healthy people.

and yet, everyone is on the obese people's side because... well you know, clown world and all šŸ¤”

Last edited:

Aesius

Weā€™re getting to the point where soon it will be offensive to say being fat is unhealthy at all. I hear it all the time. ā€œOh Iā€™m only 30lbs overweight. Thatā€™s not so bad.ā€ Pick up a 30 lb weight sometime and carry it around for 5 minutes. Americans are fat. Being fat is bad. Being fat is not a complicated thing to solve. It may be hard for people that have an unhealthy relationship with food, but itā€™s not complicated. Eat less. Being more active helps, but eat less.
Agreed. It definitely seems like being only slightly or moderately overweight is now a-okay. It's only an issue when you become morbidly obese, and even then, people argue that they're healthy.

Azzurri

Science.

Of course they won't tell you this, because it doesn't follow the narrative they're shouting.

Last edited:

Raven117

Iā€™m sorry for your loss. Truly.

But that doesnā€™t change the science. Masks, at best, provided marginal protection. CDC published reports said the same thing.

If we all had properly fitted N95 masks, then thatā€™s would have been different.

Raven117

sorry for your loss. My dad almost died from covid, so I understand that losing people to the virus is very real, and yes masks do work (how much they work is debatable, but at the very least the keep us from sticking our fingers in our nose and mouth... so i dont 100% agree with that poster on that point).

but heā€™s right about the control part. Wearing masks became very politicized. People who were pro mask were using it more as ammo to dunk on there political opponents, or the opposite with Ron DeSantis, who was supporting anti mask To get his name out there and start ramping up his 2024 presidential run.

With the vaccines having been rolled out for a while now, the mask mandates should have been lifted weeks ago, if not months ago. Fauci was getting grilled on national television and being wishy washy with his answer on when they can be taken off, Biden and other politicians would be wearing masks around each other despite the fact they were all vaccinated, etc. so many of these instances were performative, displays for political points to keep pro mask people on their side, or in other words control. Again, DeSantis and other republicans did the same shit, just on the other side in order to keep anti mask voters on his side.

so, I donā€™t think your fuck you comments were necessary or warranted to that gaffer, and I think youā€™re being naive and just straight up wrong if you think wearing masks was more about saving lives and honest virtues than it was about maintaining control of your voter base and the American people, as it relates to the last few months, at least.
Very well stated.

CGiRanger

Banned
I knew long before the pandemic that masks would be of no help.

Why? Because living in California we've had our share of fires and major smoke these past years. During some of these events when the smoke got so bad and hazardous to health, people would start wearing masks. But we were told constantly by all the "Experts" in both government and medicine, that wearing these masks were useless, because the dangerous pollutant particles in the smoke could not be stopped by regular masks. Only the N95-fitted masks would work.

I imagine the virus particles are even smaller/tinier than the pollutant/toxic particles from smoke, so then the masks would be even more useless.

Excess

I wonder how much longer Fauchi will try and be in the spotlight? Tick tock Fauchi. Your time is up.
That's an interesting thought, isn't it? He got so used to everyone going to him for guidance and theoretically became the most powerful man in the nation. What does someone like this with so much influence and power do when people slowly stop giving him that deference? And on top of that, Fauci is no longer useful to the political media apparatus, where he was used as a wedge to politicize the scientific community against the previous administration.

Hulk_Smash

Banned
That's an interesting thought, isn't it? He got so used to everyone going to him for guidance and theoretically became the most powerful man in the nation. What does someone like this with so much influence and power do when people slowly stop giving him that deference? And on top of that, Fauci is no longer useful to the political media apparatus, where he was used as a wedge to politicize the scientific community against the previous administration.
Isn't he like 80? Dude's going to retire with a pile of blood money. No doubt this shit stain has made bank on everyone else's misery and fear. He'll write a book on his experiences. Maybe join Dubya and start painting pictures or some shit. He'll barely be a footnote when people look back to study what all went wrong.

The only comfort I feel about him is one day (sooner than me) he will answer to God for his actions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom