• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The pandemic in the US is over

Status
Not open for further replies.

oagboghi2

Like I said, from a serious adult perspective of things -- I'm not going with a Tweet to guilt those who want to take precautions after the pandemic effects slow down. As negligent as some have been in Mexico (throwing house parties and getting half their guests sick during the pandemic); there was still a large majority who wore masks in public when I first moved here in 2016. Sick were always encouraged to wear masks in public. The same for the elderly. It wasn't something uncommon to see. But what's going on right now...this is what it sounds like retrospectively:

May 2020:
Pandemic numbers in U.S./other Western countries super high. The media says, "Wear masks, keep socially distanced, practice good hygienic habits, don't go out if you don't have to."
The irrational public, "I don't want to wear a mask because it's against muh freedom rights as a 'murican and they make me look stupid"
Rational public, ""Wear masks, keep socially distanced, practice good hygienic habits, don't go out if you don't have to and DON'T ACT LIKE THE RETARD ABOVE! Practicing safety during a pandemic shouldn't be grounds for shaming those who choose to act with precaution."

May 2021:
Pandemic number just as high if not higher in most U.S. states but due to "fear of economic collapse vs. ending a pandemic" businesses MUST re-open! The media says, "If you've had your vaccine - stop wearing a mask publicly (nothing wrong with that for those with the vax, honestly)."
The irrational public, "The virus is a hoax or was created in a lab! Masks are from satan! Vaccines are a government trick to control population and give you the virus! Muh freedom!"
The rational public, "My country is still really infected but who cares! I'm with the guys above on not wearing a masks. Let's join them in is much crowd gathering as possible this Summer and shame anyone who thinks taking precaution during the ongoing pandemic is normal!"
what a nice fantasyland story you are telling yourself

Raven117

Like I said, from a serious adult perspective of things -- I'm not going with a Tweet to guilt those who want to take precautions after the pandemic effects slow down. As negligent as some have been in Mexico (throwing house parties and getting half their guests sick during the pandemic); there was still a large majority who wore masks in public when I first moved here in 2016. Sick were always encouraged to wear masks in public. The same for the elderly. It wasn't something uncommon to see. But what's going on right now...this is what it sounds like retrospectively:

May 2020:
Pandemic numbers in U.S./other Western countries super high. The media says, "Wear masks, keep socially distanced, practice good hygienic habits, don't go out if you don't have to."
The irrational public, "I don't want to wear a mask because it's against muh freedom rights as a 'murican and they make me look stupid"
Rational public, ""Wear masks, keep socially distanced, practice good hygienic habits, don't go out if you don't have to and DON'T ACT LIKE THE RETARD ABOVE! Practicing safety during a pandemic shouldn't be grounds for shaming those who choose to act with precaution."

May 2021:
Pandemic number just as high if not higher in most U.S. states but due to "fear of economic collapse vs. ending a pandemic" businesses MUST re-open! The media says, "If you've had your vaccine - stop wearing a mask publicly (nothing wrong with that for those with the vax, honestly)."
The irrational public, "The virus is a hoax or was created in a lab! Masks are from satan! Vaccines are a government trick to control population and give you the virus! Muh freedom!"
The rational public, "My country is still really infected but who cares! I'm with the guys above on not wearing a masks. Let's join them in is much crowd gathering as possible this Summer and shame anyone who thinks taking precaution during the ongoing pandemic is normal!"
I’m sorry your virus lost.

Raven117

I understand man! And I don't want that to happen either. But there's a way to go out (for those vaxxed without a mask) that won't risk putting society back to square one. The title of the thread reads the same way I believe many ready the CDC statement (which you know there will be those to take it literally) "The Pandemic in the U.S. is over." But it's not. So, think of it like this. If you're vaxxed and ready to go out. Small groups for a few months and keep it responsible. That way, there's less risk of another mass outbreak and the numbers can be better contained.
Nope. Follow the science. If you are vaxxed, do whatever the fuck you want. And if someone has made the decision not to be vaxxed, they have made their choice. Not your problem.

Ten_Fold

Once September hit, it will feel like it’s really about to over because no more unemployment boost, and everyone will be back to working whatever job. If u ain’t use this time to figure out a career change to make more $$$ idk what to say.

May 2020:

May 2021:
I’m telling you man. The best answer for you is “stay home, stay safe.... and stay away from the rest of us.”

Peggies

Gold Member
I've been away for a couple of weeks, and just wondering why the politics forum has disappeared? EviLore EviLore ?
Running Late Whats Up GIF

Petey-o

I wonder if there are gonna be any western countries that will adopt mask usage similar to some eastern Asian countries even before this pandemic.
Probably not America, considering as usual it has turned into a polarizing topic to insane extents.

greyshark

I wonder if there are gonna be any western countries that will adopt mask usage similar to some eastern Asian countries even before this pandemic.
Probably not America, considering as usual it has turned into a polarizing topic to insane extents.

It's more of a cultural thing in Asia, correct? I don't think there were any mask-mandates pre-pandemic. Once this is all behind us, it will all come down to personal choice. If you want to wear a mask, go for it. No one will care why you do it (maybe some assholes will make jokes behind your back).

Kev Kev

Florida has basically been doing this for months.

Somehow we’re still doing ok.
thats because everyone listened to the experts who were consistently wrong, did a piss poor job and as a result unnecessarily and irresponsibly scared the fuck out of people into thinking they couldnt go back to normal. fuck the experts, we need to look at the numbers, at the actual data and facts and send a message to these "experts" to get their shit together.

Hurray, the pandemic is over! The vaccines are working! Rich countries won! Take that covid! With money and scientists, we can defeat everything! USA, USA, USA!!

*meanwhile... in some very poor 3rd world country that's been completely neglected by the world: a new, deadlier mutation evolves that's resistant to all current vaccines*
Aint that the truth. Enjoy your 6 months under the sun while it lasts.

Jesus. You people are just rays of effervescent sunshine, aren’t you? And spare me the “no, I’m a realist” bullshit. There is finally meaningful good news and here you come with pessimistic doomsday nonsense you and your whiny friend are pulling directly from your collective asses. Just continue living in your hovels and allow the rest of us to enjoy the sun free from your moping.

Last edited:

Raven117

Hurray, the pandemic is over! The vaccines are working! Rich countries won! Take that covid! With money and scientists, we can defeat everything! USA, USA, USA!!

*meanwhile... in some very poor 3rd world country that's been completely neglected by the world: a new, deadlier mutation evolves that's resistant to all current vaccines*

So fucking what? What do you want the US to do? Live in fear? Stay closed down because maybe some variant out there may be vaccine resistant?

and you don’t think that the current vaccine with the distribution channels already in place can’t adapt to this new variant if/when it becomes a problem?

just be honest with us and yourself. You don’t want the world to go back to the way it was. You liked that your natural state of being (which is anti-social for the most part) was being rewarded as opposed to ostracized. Now. That’s over. And you don’t want to go back. (And, if so, I get it, I’m rather introverted myself and enjoyed my weekends to myself for the last year quite a bit).

Sorry your virus lost.

Last edited:

Burnttips

It is amazing to me the extent to which people see this whole thing as being about masks.

Like of all the ways this pandemic has disrupted my life, masks are like not even in the top 10.
Top dumbest thing done. I love how people say it worked because they didn't get a cold. US has had over 450,000,000 covid tests out of 32,000,000 covid cases. That's a lot of colds if you ask me.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
Top dumbest thing done. I love how people say it worked because they didn't get a cold. US has had over 450,000,000 covid tests out of 32,000,000 covid cases. That's a lot of colds if you ask me.
I mean the vast majority of Covid cases are caught in the home or at work, not out in the public square so there's probably truth to masks working, but like, masks are a mild inconvenience at most, like I don't even really think about it. How about the fact that we've had to reorganize our whole lives?

I have never really worn a mask outside by myself or with someone in my bubble because what's the point? And businesses are still going to require them at their discretion. So none of this really means much of anything. And also I don't care, if a business requires me to wear a mask or a cowboy hat or whatever to enter I can cry about it I can put it on, like I just don't care that much.

What I do care about is not being able to go to the office, not having events or concerts to go to, falling pay rates on the job market, schools still being part time, limited public transit schedules, all of that shit.

Last edited:

AJUMP23

Gold Member
I can’t wait for places to not require mask. I did get asked to pull mine up for the first time in the whole pandemic at Costco. It had gotten loose and fell down as I checked out and the clerk trying to sell me an executive membership asked me to pull it up.

when it first hit I thought we would’ve done in 3 months. I hope we are normal again in June.

Burnttips

I mean the vast majority of Covid cases are caught in the home or at work, not out in the public square so there's probably truth to masks working, but like, masks are a mild inconvenience at most, like I don't even really think about it. How about the fact that we've had to reorganize our whole lives?

I have never really worn a mask outside by myself or with someone in my bubble because what's the point? And businesses are still going to require them at their discretion. So none of this really means much of anything. And also I don't care, if a business requires me to wear a mask or a cowboy hat or whatever to enter I can cry about it I can put it on, like I just don't care that much.

What I do care about is not being able to go to the office, not having events or concerts to go to, falling pay rates on the job market, schools still being part time, limited public transit schedules, all of that shit.
It took a couple of days at most to reorganize work from home. When restaurants were only take out it wasn't that hard to take it home. Theaters were closed so not that big a deal to stream them. Clubs and bars being closed was the hardest thing to deal with if you're young or a drunk. The only real hindrance was the toilet paper and meat shortages. I had enough toilet paper and my food store got meat from Australia. I ate $7.99/lb steaks for 2 weeks. So many people are enjoying the new life that they don't want to go to the office to work. They don't want to get a job or go back to the one they had. Even when people can go to the bars, restaurants, and movies they are staying home. Those that need to be social took off the mask a long time ago. I went to my local Shop n`Save and it was 50/50 mask/unmasked. About 75% of the unmask were people over the age of 60 I'd say. I had a difficult time with masks. My nose would run when I wore it. I'd have an itching face and get pimples. I have asthma and had to take my inhaler before wearing it. Letting go of the useless mask especially after vaccinated is not wanting to go back to your old life. It's a mental illness if you ask me. One that's going to be around for a generation.

I doubt it feels like the pandemic is over for ICU doctors and nurses, and I hope those choosing to not receive the vaccine and getting infected don’t make their lives a living hell for much longer, but for vaccinated individuals it essentially is over.

Last edited:
I doubt it feels like the pandemic is over for ICU doctors and nurses, and I hope those choosing to not receive the vaccine and getting infected don’t make their lives a living hell for much longer, but for vaccinated individuals it essentially is over.
Oh it’s over in the sense that the situation is nothing like it was 5-6 months ago. There are still sick/dying people in ICU. But there are always sick/dying people in ICU. That’s the nature of working there. As long as the workload isn’t really above what is typical, covid is just another thing that puts people in the ICU.

Raven117

It is amazing to me the extent to which people see this whole thing as being about masks.

Like of all the ways this pandemic has disrupted my life, masks are like not even in the top 10.
Unfortunately, our last President made it extremely political coupled with some lousy science that even showed they were effective. In essence, it became Democrats telling Republicans what to do and a sign of political affiliation.

to say it was just about masks is disingenuous.

What do you mean? It's transmitted the same as any other respiratory virus. It follows the same pattern as the common cold or the flu, and the precautions are similar as well.

apparently not in terms vaccinated people. so far from what i've read, they did a study of vaccinated people vs non vaccinated people and with vaccinated people, it was something like 98% they couldn't infect others, but they don't know for sure.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
apparently not in terms vaccinated people. so far from what i've read, they did a study of vaccinated people vs non vaccinated people and with vaccinated people, it was something like 98% they couldn't infect others, but they don't know for sure.
"apparently not in terms vaccinated people"? What do you mean by that. The virus still follows the same rules in vaccinated people, it's just that vaccinated people's immune systems are already primed to attack the virus on sight. Therefore vaccinated people's viral load should in theory be a lot less than unvaccinated people. Less viral load equals less chance of spreading.

"apparently not in terms vaccinated people"? What do you mean by that. The virus still follows the same rules in vaccinated people, it's just that vaccinated people's immune systems are already primed to attack the virus on sight. Therefore vaccinated people's viral load should in theory be a lot less than unvaccinated people. Less viral load equals less chance of spreading.

Okay that's what i thought. Why was the cdc all wishy washy about it? And from my earlier question, does the virus act the same way with asymptomatic people?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

Is it really that amazing? Masks, social distancing, and lockdowns were the symbols of the pandemic and what made it feel particularly real even for people who didn't catch COVID or really know anyone that was badly affected. Without those three, it's just life as normal for most people. With stay at home orders having been ended a while ago, masks and social distancing were the only thing making the pandemic feel ongoing for a lot of the country.

Last edited by a moderator:

oagboghi2

Great you don't care. Other people do. Those other people don't give a shit if masks don't bother you.

How the fuck is that difficult for you to understand?

theclaw135

Banned
Unfortunately, our last President made it extremely political coupled with some lousy science that even showed they were effective. In essence, it became Democrats telling Republicans what to do and a sign of political affiliation.

to say it was just about masks is disingenuous.

More or less. Regardless, restrictions were forced upon people. I most definitely wasn't asked what protective measures I'd have deemed acceptable.

Kev Kev

And also I don't care, if a business requires me to wear a mask or a cowboy hat or whatever to enter I can cry about it I can put it on, like I just don't care that much.
have fun letting people bully you for the rest of your life.

to hell with this way of thinking. you do things that make sense and are practical, not because "well its easier to just comply, even though it doesnt make sense, so ill just do whatever these clowns tell me to"

where are your balls man, come on. if youre fully vaccinated there no reason to keep wearing a mask, and if anyone tells you that youre required to put on a cowboy hat before entering their business, then i want you to go back to that store wearing ONLY the cowboy hat and nothing else, because that is the only appropriate response to such idiocy

fr tho, when you get a minute were gonna need to see a picture of you in that cowboy hat :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Raven117

More or less. Regardless, restrictions were forced upon people. I most definitely wasn't asked what protective measures I'd have deemed acceptable.
Exactly. The whole “this isn’t a big deal” (when the science was weak about whether they actually helped) morphed into your political stance on covid. Taking them off is indeed symbolic of the ending of the pandemic for those vaccinated.

SF Kosmo

have fun letting people bully you for the rest of your life.

to hell with this way of thinking. you do things that make sense and are practical, not because "well its easier to just comply, even though it doesnt make sense, so ill just do whatever these clowns tell me to"

where are your balls man, come on. if youre fully vaccinated there no reason to keep wearing a mask, and if anyone tells you that youre required to put on a cowboy hat before entering their business, then i want you to go back to that store wearing ONLY the cowboy hat and nothing else, because that is the only appropriate response to such idiocy

fr tho, when you get a minute were gonna need to see a picture of you in that cowboy hat :messenger_tears_of_joy:
What I mean is that businesses can do what they want. Some restaurants and bars have dress codes. Costco requires a membership. It's up to these businesses to set their policy. I can comply or I can shop somewhere else, this is how the market works.

Elysion

Banned
I‘m curious, are there any countries that didn‘t implement any kind of covid restrictions? No mask mandates, no lockdowns, no mandatory testing etc.? Sweden seems to have been very lax in this regard, though they did have some measures in place. I think Belarus also didn‘t do much; in fact I believe their president Lukashenko even mentioned that western governments were trying to bribe him to implement some kind of restrictions, lol.

Which country did the least in this regard? (At least of those countries that have somewhat reliable data, which probably excludes quite a few 3rd world countries, especially in Africa).

SF Kosmo

I‘m curious, are there any countries that didn‘t implement any kind of covid restrictions? No mask mandates, no lockdowns, no mandatory testing etc.? Sweden seems to have been very lax in this regard, though they did have some measures in place. I think Belarus also didn‘t do much; in fact I believe their president Lukashenko even mentioned that western governments were trying to bribe him to implement some kind of restrictions, lol.

Which country did the least in this regard? (At least of those countries that have somewhat reliable data, which probably excludes quite a few 3rd world countries, especially in Africa).
North Korea and Turkmenistan, both of which have reported virtually no Covid cases.

So obviously masks are the problem.

Belgorim

Well, we did not use masks a lot here in Sweden, but there have been restrictions on gatherings and such, same as other places. Schools never closed though.

WFH strongly recommended of course.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Why was the cdc all wishy washy about it?
Huh? I don't know what you mean by this.
And from my earlier question, does the virus act the same way with asymptomatic people?
As far as I know, viruses of all kinds act similarly in everyone. The difference in how we feel is how our bodies handle the infection. We're all genetically different and we all live different lifestyles and are in different states of health, so everyone will react differently in some way or another.

General symptoms of feeling ill from any infection, such as fever, chills, and aches, are a result of your immune system going to work. Your body generates more heat because it's easier to kill off an infection that way. You feel lousy probably as a result of inflammation which is a product of the immune response. Immune cells have an easier time traversing through tissue if the tissue is inflamed.

Other symptoms and feelings of lousiness are caused by the virus/bacteria/parasitic infection itself as it destroys the cells in your body.

We don't know exactly why some people don't feel a thing, but there are many plausible theories.

theclaw135

Banned
Exactly. The whole “this isn’t a big deal” (when the science was weak about whether they actually helped) morphed into your political stance on covid. Taking them off is indeed symbolic of the ending of the pandemic for those vaccinated.

Well my "stance" is conflicted. Emergencies inherently put saving lives at odds with fair and just democratic processes.
There isn't time to go around sending ballots to the populace to enact measures.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom