• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The pCARS2 / FM7 / GTS prediction thread (review score and player base)

Why is everyone predicting bad scores for GT Sport?

Well, this is the latest on a PlayStation console life cycle that we had to wait before GT, the games feels like a Prologue in content and there are other good options in the market.

They seem to have chosen a path that´s hard to explain. It´s really a combination of odd choices that ended up in a game with little hype for it.

Remember this forum before GT5, or even GT6? Yep, totally different than what we have now.

(Off topic, but Beiçola avatar? That´s a first)

Sebmugi

a gran turismo is not just a story of content nor features .. it is a special atmosphere, a soul and I think it will be present is already a feat in itself ..

UberTag

Review Scores = FM7 > PC2 > GTS
Player Base = GTS > FM7 > PC2

Would love to see PC2 blast out of the gates next week and actually build a loyal audience that smothers both of the exclusive titles to death but I don't see that as too likely.

baberunisei

Well, this is the latest on a PlayStation console life cycle that we had to wait before GT, the games feels like a Prologue in content and there are other good options in the market.

They seem to have chosen a path that´s hard to explain. It´s really a combination of odd choices that ended up in a game with little hype for it.

Remember this forum before GT5, or even GT6? Yep, totally different than what we have now.

(Off topic, but Beiçola avatar? That´s a first)

Thanks for the answer. That's a pity, I loved GT in the PS1 and 2 days and was thinking about getting back to it.

About the avatar, I brought it from my old times as a Forum Uol Jogos (I assume you're Brazilian too)

N21

Sales[/B]:

Gran Turismo - 1.2 million
Project Cars - 750 k
Forza - 600 k

Bonus round: end of the year sales.

Gran Turismo 2.5 million
Project Cars - 1.5 million
Forza - 1.1 million

Reasoning:

Gran Turismo - It still has the brand, but it will be worse than 5 Prologue and 6. Can´t see this game moving more units because there´s zero hype for it, and casuals alone won´t put this into GT1,2,3,4 or 5 status.

Project Cars - The first one moved a lot of units, and despite the bad feeling for some, a much better game should be able to at least match the original one.

Forza - I also agree that Horizon might already be a bigger franchise. Forza always did good numbers, but i don´t see lighting up the sales charts like some expect to.

It took PC1 one month to hit 1million but 18 months to hit 2 million and that's on three platforms. While that is good for what is a independent game, it would be terrible for a game like Forza. Forza on the other hand, hit over 1 million sold around 3 months on 1 platform and usual Forza mainline always finish around in the high 2 millions.

Plus, the first one has a lower meta-critic than Forza 6, I doubt the people who were burned by the first would buy the second on a whim.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Why did you guys predict GTS will sell well?

Series sales are down and there seems to little hype for it.

Because it is a long running Playstation exclusive series. It will sell regardless of quality

N21

Blind loyalty and the game will suffice for a lot of people who are hungry for a GT game.

For me personally, I need to see a decent frame-rate before I jump on it.

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
I don't like cheese and onion crisps. But if I had gone 3 years without any crisps at all, I would probably review a packet of cheese and onion very highly.

Synth

I don't like cheese and onion crisps. But if I had gone 3 years without any crisps at all, I would probably review a packet of cheese and onion very highly.

But you didn't need to go without any crisps at all. There were packs of Salt & Vinegar and Smoky Bacon right there... and you didn't even like cheese and onion in the first place!!

Memento

GTS will probably be the one with the lowest review scores because of the whole online focus and no proper traditional campaign (that went well for some high profiles releases right SF5?)...

But it will be the best selling by far.

Reviews:
1. Forza 7 (90)
2. pCars 2 (82)
3. GTS (75)

Sales:
1. GTS
2. pCars 2
3. Forza 7

GTS will easily outsell the other two combined.

Grassy

Forza 7 - 88
Project Cars 2 - 89
GT Sport - 80

My quick hot takes:

Forza 7 looks to be more of the same

Project Cars 2 looks to be the most improved

GT Sport looks the least interesting from a single-player perspective

fresquito

hmm, I sure thought this thread would grow faster and bigger.
Two big juggernouts, one is coming to the fight with the same weapons he's always carried, just shinnier, and the other is missing not only his weapons, but his limbs as well. Not much of a fight, really.

There's a third fighter who could come out king after this fight, but nobody cares about him at the moment.

Fredrik

I don't get the low expectations on GTS here, GTS could definitely get high scores if the reviewers love online gaming and are tired of the old GT formula. I think it's more likely that some old fans will complain about the missing SP content than the reviewers. The reviewers probably all have PS+ but all PS4 owners obviously don't, I bet the user score will be a lot lower than the critics score simply because of that.

UberTag

GTS will probably be the one with the lowest review scores because of the whole online focus and no proper traditional campaign (that went well for some high profiles releases right SF5?)...

But it will be the best selling by far.
Street Fighter IV sold cuckoo bananas on multiple platforms before SFV laid an egg following its incomplete launch and piss-poor review scores. Perhaps this will be Gran Turismo's equivalent of that in light of two well-received contemporaries shipping before it and then Polyphony can blame Metacritic for ruining its game like Hollywood blames Rotten Tomatoes for the box office struggles of their half-baked sequels.

fresquito

I don't get the low expectations on GTS here, GTS could definitely get high scores if the reviewers love online gaming and are tired of the old GT formula. I think it's more likely that some old fans will complain about the missing SP content than the reviewers. The reviewers probably all have PS+ but all PS4 owners obviously don't, I bet the user score will be a lot lower than the critics score simply because of that.
Because GTS is not releasing in a bubble. The game will not only be judged on its own merits, it will be compared against the other two games. And frankly speaking, you need to be quite the fanboy to think it has the edge in that battle. General media is representative of the general public, which is not into eSports kind of games and tends to be blinded by numbers, so I don't expect to have that many great reviews. As for simracing media, I don't see them finding much value in the game at all.

Street Fighter IV sold cuckoo bananas on multiple platforms before SFV laid an egg following its incomplete launch and piss-poor review scores. Perhaps this will be Gran Turismo's equivalent of that in light of two well-received contemporaries shipping before it and then Polyphony can blame Metacritic for ruining its game like Hollywood blames Rotten Tomatoes for the box office struggles of their half-baked sequels.

Guess we will find out soon but I think the quality of what has made it into GT Sport will still make it score well enough, even without the career and it should sell well just because it's GT.

Because GTS is not releasing in a bubble. The game will not only be judged on its own merits, it will be compared against the other two games. And frankly speaking, you need to be quite the fanboy to think it has the edge in that battle. General media is representative of the general public, which is not into eSports kind of games and tends to be blinded by numbers, so I don't expect to have that many great reviews. As for simracing media, I don't see them finding much value in the game at all.

Come on, like people don't play CoD because it's an e-sport. The majority will play GT Sport like any other online title, a minority may watch the live streams, an even smaller minority will take part in the competitive e-sport scene.

As someone who much prefers single player, but who finds the single player AI in GT to be quite irritating, the online play from the beta is the best I've ever experienced. Because of the ranking system you get matched with other clean racers and its a lot like having access to a better AI. You're not stuck in a situation where you're either overpowered and miles ahead of second place, or stuck in second without the power in your car to get to first.

fresquito

Come on, like people don't play CoD because it's an e-sport. The majority will play GT Sport like any other online title, a minority may watch the live streams, an even smaller minority will take part in the competitive e-sport scene.
People played CoD long before it was anything eSport and keeps playing it because the same reasons. eSport setting is not MP setting and GTS goes for the eSport setting.

Don't get me wrong, I know eSports can be super popular and I personally think this is the most interesting GT ever because the focus on eSports, but the general public that bought GT before sure didn't buy it because what GTS is focused on. The people that wants to play a sim and are into eSports are already playing iRacing and I don't see many of them (if any) moving away from iRacing to play GTS actively.

People played CoD long before it was anything eSport and keeps playing it because the same reasons. eSport setting is not MP setting and GTS goes for the eSport setting.

Don't get me wrong, I know eSports can be super popular and I personally think this is the most interesting GT ever because the focus on eSports, but the general public that bought GT before sure didn't buy it because what GTS is focused on. The people that wants to play a sim and are into eSports are already playing iRacing and I don't see many of them (if any) moving away from iRacing to play GTS actively.

I think we might be defining "eSport" differently.

To me eSport is an event that people who are shit hot at a game get invited to, like the Halo event happening now. GT Sport appears to have a live stream section which will show these events. I'll probably buy GT Sport and play a couple of nights a week, a few races online at a time in the "daily races". No different to how I play FIFA, I don't see that as partaking in an eSport, just typical online?

Gran Turismo Sport will definitely review the worst. I also suspect it may get off to a slow start sales wise and people will call it a bomba. But as with all recent Gran Turismo titles, it will slowly amass a dizzying number of sales, and end up doing really well.

It's not going to review well at all, though -- I actually predict lower than what many of you are going for. I think 70.

I'd say that even 20% PC would be pushing it. The game is exclusive to the Windows Store, that will stop a lot of people from buying it.
I agree in the long run, but this was for the first week. Many PC gamers have been waiting for a title like this that has realistic physics, is made for pad players, looks amazing and has a ton of production cars that can be tuned - a game that reminds older gamers on their PS1 or PS2 era Gran Turismo days.

When XB1X hits... that will turn things around. Almost everyone who pre-ordered one will also buy FM7, there is no other game this year that is really made for that console. Then the PC player base will go down to probably even under 20% like you said.

Bonus round: end of the year sales.

Gran Turismo 2.5 million
Project Cars - 1.5 million
Forza - 1.1 million
Based on my last paragraph, I think it's extremely unlikely that FM7 will sell under 1.5 million this year. It might even hit 2.5 this year just because of the early XB1X adopters.

Unknown?

Forza 92
GT Sports 76
Pcars 85

Forza will score the best, but gt sport will sell better as usual. Pcars looks solid.

Forza 5 got blasted and is the lowest rated entry in the franchise as a pared down launch title. GT Sport is releasing four years into the ps4. People should demand better.
That's Forza though. F5 got blasted for less content of the same quality. GT Sport and GT3 both had much less content than previous entries but higher quality overall.

fresquito

I think we might be defining "eSport" differently.

To me eSport is an event that people who are shit hot at a game get invited to, like the Halo event happening now. GT Sport appears to have a live stream section which will show these events. I'll probably buy GT Sport and play a couple of nights a week, a few races online at a time in the "daily races". No different to how I play FIFA, I don't see that as partaking in an eSport, just typical online?
For me eSports games are games that A, have an established professional scene and B, going up the ranks and seamlessly become a pro player is a cornerstone of how the game is designed. Of course eSport titles can be played just for fun, but that's a whole different story.

The thing with Gran Turismo is that it´s more about what´s missing than what´s in it.

So it´s not an issue to have e-sports features, it will be fun for some people (like myself), but the astounding lack of content makes people think this game is all about e-sports.

The biggest problem right now is that you have hundreds of scapes to take pictures in it and only a handful of tracks and cars.

There are only a few real tracks and the fantasy ones are not the ones people have found memories The car selection is not that good and it´s filled with duplicates to increase the count.

e-sports wouldn´t be an issue if this game had a proper career, and lots of cars and tracks like any other GT game.

Egida

Neo Member
Score wise I'd say F7 > PC2 > GTS.
Sales wise GTS > F7 > PC2.

I'd like to take this opportunity to ask; as someone who has only ever enjoyed Gran Turismo, which game should I migrate to now? F7 or PC2? Something else?

I'm looking for a meaty offline career mode, building my car collection (super cars but also normal cars that you could see everyday in the street) and championships with varying conditions (what GT offered until now, basically).

This gen. I've played Driveclub and Forza Horizon 3 and neither of them made it for me.

fresquito

Score wise I'd say F7 > PC2 > GTS.
Sales wise GTS > F7 > PC2.

I'm going to take the opportunity to ask; as someone who has only ever enjoyed Gran Turismo, which game should I migrate to now? F7 or PC2? Something else?

I'm looking for a meaty offline career mode, building my car collection (super cars but also normal cars that you could see everyday in the street) and championships with varying conditions (what GT offered until now, basically).

This gen. I've played Driveclub and Forza Horizan 3 and neither of them made it for me.
PC2 is not a game for collecting cars (all unlocked from start). The career in PC2 is only interesting if you are interested in competing in life-like motorsports competitions. So FM7 wins there by a landslide.

Only if the varying conditions thing is more important to you than building a collection of cars, I would recommend PC2. The game is miles ahead the competition when it comes to offering diverse racing experiences.

IMO PC2 will be the better game, but for the criteria you asked for, FM7 probably is the right choice for you.

Egida

Neo Member
IMO PC2 will be the better game, but for the criteria you asked for, FM7 probably is the right choice for you.
Awesome, thanks. Yeah, it's going to be a tough choice. As you say, Forza 7 seems like the obvious choice for me, but PC2 also brings up some interesting points.

Sony are putting out six GT6 PS4 bundles. Even they know this game is a complete disaster.

If only counting non bundled units this GT would sell worse than the other two games.

Sales:
GTS
Forza
PCars2

Critically:
PCars 82
Forza 82
GTS 79 Downgrade 76 due to server issues. Worst launch since DriveClub and Battlefield 4.

IKizzLE

For me eSports games are games that A, have an established professional scene and B, going up the ranks and seamlessly become a pro player is a cornerstone of how the game is designed. Of course eSport titles can be played just for fun, but that's a whole different story.
But what if gt sport has rainbow six siege type of legs?

Seemingly nothing's happening in here anymore, so I might as well add this a day early:

neogafreviewpredictiot4s3l.png

neogafreviewpredictio7ls6p.png

edit:
feel free to still add your predictions until tomorrow! I can update the graphs within 5-7 minutes, no problem.

Top Bottom