• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Phantom Dust Thread

Soul4ger

belgurdo said:
Apparently, half-games like Fable and vaporware are more important than sticking with quality content. I think I might go grab Psychonauts too because of that (isn't it being published by Majesco too?)

Yessir, it is, and I thought the exact same thing. Unfortunately, we only got two copies of Phantom Dust in today, and we sold them both (with one going to me). Had a couple people ask for them, too. I hope it's not chronically understocked.

Dead

well not really...yet
Wow the music in this game is really great. Great VA as well.

Its criminal to pass it up for $20.

jedimike

brief impressions...

Played for about a half hour and completed 6 or 7 missions. I can guarantee everyone of you that this will be the best brand new, $20 game you ever purchased. The game is very well done from the story all the way through to the gameplay mechanics.

more later....

novery

Just a piece of advice to all newbies on Live: Don't draw all your capsules! I played a few matches online to check out the vibe and a lot of guys were suddenly dying and getting pissed off. Bring your remaining capsule meter down to zero (the number in the top right-hand corner of the screen), and your health will slowly decrease until you're teh dead.

Has anyone gotten this in Canada? Amazon.ca and futureshop.ca don't seem to even know of the game's existence. I might try EB tommorrow, but I really want this game. I'll post my gamertag if I ever get it.

Sysgen

I played a few missions. I named my guy Age (one of the choices). You get rated on each mission. I have no idea of it's significance. I've gotten as high as 100+ and as low as 007 :lol . The key I'm guessing is your combat effciency or how and when you use your skills. I think that is going to be the hardest part. There are so many permutations of where and when based on what you have mapped that my head hurts already.

Dead

well not really...yet
Sysgen said:
I played a few missions. I named my guy Age (one of the choices). You get rated on each mission. I have no idea of it's significance. I've gotten as high as 100+ and as low as 007 :lol . The key I'm guessing is your combat effciency or how and when you use your skills. I think that is going to be the hardest part. There are so many permutations of where and when based on what you have mapped that my head hurts already.
haha I kept saying no to every name thinking id be able to choose mine but then they just got pissed and named me "Nanashi" :lol

Sysgen

Dead said:
haha I kept saying no to every name thinking id be able to choose mine but then they just got pissed and named me "Nanashi" :lol

They named me Nanashi also but I didn't like it so I restarted. I was tempted to see if Nanashi was always the last but I didn't bother.

BioFan

WTF??Just checked if my order was shipped, and found out that gamestop cancelled it...screw the $20 rebate, I am going to get it in store...

Ferny84

Banned
I didn't see the game on Futureshop's site, so I'm going to give them a call tommorrow.

Since my Futureshop card is the only way I can pay for it at the moment...

I played up until chapter 2. So far so good. It's vaugely like PSO mixed with Magic: The Gathering. I was pleasantly surprised by the classical music mixed into the soundtrack.

Gattsu25

Banned
Got the game today...haven't played online yet

Gamertag: Wakune

single player is great...love the environments

edit: My local EB only got 2 copies of this game in...no pre-orders (I honestly didn't know it was coming out till this week)

TheDuce22

Banned
Its well worth the 20 bucks so far. I got a bit into chapter 2. The one issue I have so far is the people they pair you up with seem to have a death wish meaning the AI isnt all that great. Played 2 games on xbox live. There was no lag, not that I expected any in a game like this. The multiplayer is something I could see myself getting into. It was alot of fun. All those cool xbox live features seem wasted with so few people online. Also there is allready a skill pack you can download.

belgurdo

Banned
TheDuce22 said:
Its well worth the 20 bucks so far. I got a bit into chapter 2. The one issue I have so far is the people they pair you up with seem to have a death wish meaning the AI isnt all that great. Played 2 games on xbox live. There was no lag, not that I expected any in a game like this. The multiplayer is something I could see myself getting into. It was alot of fun. All those cool xbox live features seem wasted with so few people online. Also there is allready a skill pack you can download.

Yeah, I'm not liking the AI partners too much either. As soon as I get "mission start," they fucking vanish, not to reappear again except to run into my fireballs and possibly get me tagged with an attack or status effect :(

BTW; how do you use this arsenal thing? I set one up and tried to replay an old mission, but I didn't see an option for it, unless I missed something

nitewulf

i'll have to get this eventually, panzer dragoon is afterall my favorite gaming franchise. i just hope the single player is good enough.

Gattsu25

Banned
this game is a card game at heart...your arsenal is your deck and the orbs that randomly spawn are the cards that you've just been dealt

Ferny84 said:
I didn't see the game on Futureshop's site, so I'm going to give them a call tommorrow.

Since my Futureshop card is the only way I can pay for it at the moment...
Hahaha, same here, but I'll still call EB just in case. :D

Sysgen

It starts to become a bit overwhelming. There are alot of discover skill types of missions, When you don't know the skills, in the heat of battle you may have seconds to decipher the purpose of a skill and its effective range before your gonna get buzzed. I guess this should be expected though because of the vast number of skills so I have no problem with it and if you can get a second there is in battle skill information available by using the d-pad. Whoever said to study that spreadsheet with the different skills wasn't kidding.

The destructibility of the environments is way cool. Even the floors are destructible. Anyone that saw I Robot will remember the scene where the robot jumps out of the window and shatters the ground. Same thing here. I jumped down from above and my protagonist landed just like the robot in the movie with the ground shattering underneath. Awesome stuff. I also love how you can bring structures down on your opponent for damage. I saw someone yesterday describe Phantom Dust as Magic the Gathering meets Otogi and IMO they aren't too far off.

belgurdo

Banned
Sysgen said:
It starts to become a bit overwhelming. There are alot of discover skill types of missions, When you don't know the skills, in the heat of battle you may have seconds to decipher the purpose of a skill and its effective range before your gonna get buzzed. I guess this should be expected though because of the vast number of skills so I have no problem with it and if you can get a second there is in battle skill information available by using the d-pad. Whoever said to study that spreadsheet with the different skills wasn't kidding.

Yeah, I'm finding this out as I build an arsenal. Not knowing what skills do before you use them=death. I find that it's easier to stick to a bread and butter move and a low energy shield, and that the heavy damage one-shot attacks are useless unless you have a definite ground advantage over your enemy. I also avoid close range stuff because it's not worth the risk of losing levels or getting hit to do big damage

jedimike

http://xboxphreaker.com is your friend! I don't know who runs the site, but it will answer all your questions.

I have to find that soundtrack... beautiful music. The bar theme is one of my favorites. The destructible environments are amazing.

One aspect of the game that I love is that you always know where your enemy is. There is no such thing as camping. Strictly luck of the draw and your ability to use your skills to their optimum efficiency.

One problem I am having is that I tend to take a beating when I'm distracted checking out what my skills do... I guess I'll just have to start memorizing.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Ebgames across the street only received 2 copies, and sold out immediately. Argh. Gotta wait for my free SAVER SHIPPED copy from Gamestop to arrive...

jedimike said:
http://xboxphreaker.com is your friend! I don't know who runs the site, but it will answer all your questions.

I have to find that soundtrack... beautiful music. The bar theme is one of my favorites. The destructible environments are amazing.

One aspect of the game that I love is that you always know where your enemy is. There is no such thing as camping. Strictly luck of the draw and your ability to use your skills to their optimum efficiency.

One problem I am having is that I tend to take a beating when I'm distracted checking out what my skills do... I guess I'll just have to start memorizing.

Thank you for re-iterating this sir. I guess nobody read my post on page 1 of this thread, or reading anything me and other rabid fans havebeen posting. :p

I was too tired from ther gym to play last night. I fell asleep on the couch right after I inserted the disc. I'm leaving work early today to kick some butt online. My gamer tag is the same as my profile/avatar. Come one, come all, come get some. ;)

yes! my game finally shipped from gamestop! sadly, like warios it is the free crappy service. oh well.

one question for those of you with the game: is jgar in it??

gunstarhero

gunstar, you realize you need to have ordered on the 8th or 9th to use that rebate, right?

Ah - my bad. Sorry.

Mine (ordered it on the 8th) just shipped today. I've been playing the import up until the shop opens up, then stopped and figured I'd wait for the US release. Can't wait.

Kunai

jedimike said:

Phantom Dust OST

Generation of Chaos Original Soundtrack The Best
Guilty Gear X
Guilty Gear X
Guilty Gear X
JumpingFlash! 2 Original Game Soundtrack
Lunar Songs 1 ~Legend of the Blue Star~
Medal of Honor Original Soundtrack Recording
Phantom Dust Original Sound Tracks

Track List:

01 Phantom Dust [Title]
02 May 18th, 1976 [Highway]
03 February 29th, 2XX1 [Strange City]
04 August 31st, 1982 [Palace]
05 March 9th, 1991 [Panorama]
06 October 10th, 1986 [Lane]
07 July 20th, 1975 [Plant]
08 June 6th, 1666 [Zain]
09 your choice [option]
10 face to face [war mode]
11 plastic people [Vision Headquarters]
12 arsenal [Arsenal]
13 memories [Box of Memories]
14 mac's shop [Mac's Shop]
15 club baroness ~Goodbye~ [Bar]
16 strange apparitions [Boss 1]
17 hallucinations [Boss 2]
18 dream [Last Boss 1]
19 Untitled [Last Boss 2] (Unused)
20 wanderers [Main Floor]
21 all these world [Advertise Demo]
22 Yes I'm Lonely

Ferny84

Banned
I just called my local Futureshop...

Me: Hi, I was wondering if you guys had any copies of Phantom Dust for the Xbox

Him: Uhh, I dunno

Me: Do you know when you'll be getting it in

Him: We don't have a release date

Me: : /

Ok folks.. I blindly bought this tonight. I hope it lives up to the GAF hype.

It had BETTER live up to it... or I'll never trust your judgements again.....

Sysgen

Just pokin around and noticed that Phantom Dust made EBGames best seller list at #4. Word of mouth and the fact that each of their stores was only allocated 2 copies.

Tain

WHOOOO!

Got my copy!

Skips music when it does load, and plays as a DVD-Video when it doesn't! Awesome!

In all seriousness, it's most probably my drive more than anything. I wish EB had another copy I could exchange for, though.

IJoel

5 stores and no sight of the game.

Good going ditributing the game Majesco. I guess this spells doom right from the start for Psychonauts.

Akira

Picked this up today. It's pretty fun so far! The graphics are some of the best on the Xbox. The missions are on the short side, but that's great for someone like me. Can't wait to play this with a friend. Too bad it didn't come with an Xbox Live trial card though, I would've used that with this game.

Edit: The soundtrack is friggin' GREAT! Cheers to Majesco for picking this up!

So apparently there is a branching storyline in here... I failed the one mission (well I guess I did what the mission was but I died...) and the story kept on going. No retry or anything like that. Does anyone know how involved this branching is? Did I just miss or stumble upon a little loop, or is this like a serious game altering branching situation going on.

Dave Long

Banned
IJoel said:
5 stores and no sight of the game.

Good going ditributing the game Majesco. I guess this spells doom right from the start for Psychonauts.

Probably not Majesco's fault. Retailers just don't want to stock these kinds of games in any quantity. I don't know if it's because their margins are lower or if they simply are clueless that there are people going to be in to buy them or what? The bottom line though is that Majesco probably would love to have it available everywhere right now for $20 and the retailers are dropping the ball.

It's Katamari Damacy all over again.

TheDuce22

Banned
So apparently there is a branching storyline in here... I failed the one mission (well I guess I did what the mission was but I died...) and the story kept on going. No retry or anything like that. Does anyone know how involved this branching is? Did I just miss or stumble upon a little loop, or is this like a serious game altering branching situation going on.

Is it the part where you
fight Edgar? I died there too, I dont think its actually possible to beat him, nothing I used did any damage.

Fifty

Fantastic game. I'm really glad Majesco picked it up. Props to them for both this and Psychonauts....Nice to see a company take chances like this, I hope it pays off for them.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
I blindly picked this up today. Hopefully I have fun with it. It's way too late tonight to try it out but tomorrow and between tourney games I'll get into it and see what's happenin.

See ya all online.

Gamertag = Truelize

TheDuce22 said:
Is it the part where you
fight Edgar? I died there too, I dont think its actually possible to beat him, nothing I used did any damage.

Even if you win,
he leaves anyways

Alright, this game officially kicks all sorts of asses. I picked it up yesterday after work and have been playing it ever since. And I agree with everyone else here about the music. The soundtrack is already right up there with some of my favorites like Katamari Damacy, Ico, Halo, and Beyond Good & Evil.

Thank god for Majesco.

Dave Long said:
Probably not Majesco's fault. Retailers just don't want to stock these kinds of games in any quantity. I don't know if it's because their margins are lower or if they simply are clueless that there are people going to be in to buy them or what? The bottom line though is that Majesco probably would love to have it available everywhere right now for $20 and the retailers are dropping the ball.

It's Katamari Damacy all over again.

I keep hearing my friends complain about this, and I BEGGED them to reserve/pre-pay. It's freaking $20 for Pete's sake!! They kept being cheaskates saying stuff like but I don't want to put money down on a game I may not like. It's only $5 to reserve a game, that's cheaper than the combo meal you spent money on on your freaking lunch hour. AND, if you decide you don't want the game you can move that $5 to something you know you want?! I'm sorry if I seem miffed, but I get sick and tired of hearing this complaint form gamers, especially with niche, obscure titles. Now they're running around blaming the stores. Any gamer worth his salt knows that no retailer will stock up on niche titles and you have to put money down to ensure you get a copy. Did people not learn from Daisenryaku VII, Disgaea and Katamari Damacy?!

This game will not get the retail love that DMC3, Tekken 5, Halo 2, RE4 gets.....

VALIS

Played for a while last night and enjoyed it. Love the deep battle system and the music really stands out. Well worth the twenty. This game may actually make me reactivate my Xbox Live account.

Top Bottom