• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Phantom Dust Thread

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Any of you guys with a japanese or pal Xbox could check if the game is region free? I doubt it but I've been asked by a lot of people to check this.

novery

Sadly it's not region-free.

And has anybody scored any rare skills yet? (You get one after every 30 wins online.)

jedimike

My skills are still weaksauce. I need a partner who can carry me. Either that or me and caninsrule will just take turns beating eachother. I get the first 30 wins...

TheDuce22

Banned
My skills are still weaksauce. I need a partner who can carry me. Either that or me and caninsrule will just take turns beating eachother. I get the first 30 wins...

Just do FFA and hide in the corner while everyone else beats eachother up. :) Of the few games I have played I am allready running into some cheese. Maybe there is a counter for this but one dude would hide in the corner spamming this ground ability that incapacitates you for 10 seconds then when it hit he would rush out and do one of those area attacks that explodes around him for insane damage then run back in the corner. You couldent get in either because of that attack. He got owned on the highway though, apparently its only good for the panoramic map.

Yusaku

Hah, I just had a great game. Me and my buddy were playing some other guy in a free-for-all. I was getting hammered right away with a quick lowcost longrange shot by the third guy. By the time I had any decent skills I had like 8 health.

I figured I wasn't long for this world, so I left my nest to try and do some damage before I met my demise. We were playing on Lost Highway, a great map for parabolic attacks. So I parked my ass on one of the lower highways and lobbed Rock Shots at the guy who was peppering me earlier. I'm not even sure he knew where the attacks were coming from, but he was finished in no time.

After dispatching him I locked on to my buddy, who was right behind me preparing an attack. I fired off a final Rock Shot before dying. And as you might guess, I got a post-mortem kill! My buddy technically won the game, but I got more credits for the 2 kills. It was awesome.

Ironclad

I had a match earlier today where just me and this other guy were left. We each had two health left so we meet in the middle of the Palace and let our Fire Sword's off. We hit each other at the same time and the game ends in a draw. It was great.

Minotauro

Finds Purchase on Dog Nutz
Wow, I'm really liking this game so far. I'm only about two hours into the single player mode but it already seems impossibly deep. I mean, I'm having difficulty keeping track of the twenty or so skills I've used. Knowing 300 of them sounds like quite a daunting task.

I can't wait to get further into it so I can create an arsenal worthy of online battles.

If there's a sequel (ha!), I really hope they add the ability for you to customize a character. While creating an arsenal of skills is great, being able to have an original character of your own would be awesome.

BTW, Ironclad, you're fairly high on the ranking list. IIRC, you were like 21st place. Yours was the only name I recognized.

Ironclad

Minotauro said:
Wow, I'm really liking this game so far. I'm only about two hours into the single player mode but it already seems impossibly deep. I mean, I'm having difficulty keeping track of the twenty or so skills I've used. Knowing 300 of them sounds like quite a daunting task.

I can't wait to get further into it so I can create an arsenal worthy of online battles.

If there's a sequel (ha!), I really hope they add the ability for you to customize a character. While creating an arsenal of skills is great, being able to have an original character of your own would be awesome.

BTW, Ironclad, you're fairly high on the ranking list. IIRC, you were like 21st place. Yours was the only name I recognized.
Really? Damn, I didn't check the scoreboard. I had a lot of good games today. I was able to pull all of the right skills when I needed them and finally got my first arsenal built.

Just like you, I am loving the single player. The variety in the missions is great. I can't wait until I get to some of the later levels. I adore the character designs and the music is astounding. Funny thing is, the music from the Vision's HQ(plastic people is the name of the song) reminds me of the music from a level of Earthworm Jim. The level with all of the cillia and you control this odd weasel thing. I don't know why, but it just reminded me of that. :lol

Minotauro, I will send you a friends invite when I get on tomorrow.

Minotauro

Finds Purchase on Dog Nutz
Ironclad_Ninja said:
Minotauro, I will send you a friends invite when I get on tomorrow.

Okay, cool. How much of the single player game did you play before going online? I'm not very far yet and I fear being completely outclassed in skills and knowledge.

Kyouji

Haman Discharged... she smells nice
Ironclad_Ninja said:
I adore the character designs and the music is astounding. Funny thing is, the music from the Vision's HQ(plastic people is the name of the song) reminds me of the music from a level of Earthworm Jim. The level with all of the cillia and you control this odd weasel thing. I don't know why, but it just reminded me of that. :lol

The blind salamander level in EWJ2 was playing Beethoven's "Moonlight Sonata", and so is Phantom Dust, but in a remixed form. It is a nice piece of music, isn't it? Phantom Dust has quite a few pieces of remixed classical tunes.

Ironclad

Minotauro said:
Okay, cool. How much of the single player game did you play before going online? I'm not very far yet and I fear being completely outclassed in skills and knowledge.
I would say I am about half way through chapter 2 by now. Don't worry about being outclassed online, everybody is still learning the ropes so you should feel comfortable. Play a few unranked matches until you get the feel and you should be fine. As long as you know how to capture skills and the difference between the skills, you should be alright. :lol

Ironclad

Kyouji said:
The blind salamander level in EWJ2 was playing Beethoven's "Moonlight Sonata", and so is Phantom Dust, but in a remixed form. It is a nice piece of music, isn't it? Phantom Dust has quite a few pieces of remixed classical tunes.
That is exactly what I was thinking of! I was so close to booting up my old copy of EWJ 2 to recognize the song. Gorgeous piece of music and it fits the mood of PD perfectly. Also, I love the classical song that plays through the raspy speakers on the Lost Palace stage. It sounds so familiar but I can't quite put my finger on it.

Yusaku

You can buy skills both online and off, I don't think there's any difference.

The Live-only skills you get by winning matches.

Had my first run-in with a Japanese player tonight. He tried to show off his knowledge of American culture by saying "Oh dee bee...OLD DIRTY BASTARD!" He was probably confused when my friends and I burst into laughter.

Ironclad_Ninja said:
I had a match earlier today where just me and this other guy were left. We each had two health left so we meet in the middle of the Palace and let our Fire Sword's off. We hit each other at the same time and the game ends in a draw. It was great.

Did you pretend you were reinacting the intro to the original Ninja Gaiden?

Miroku

I'm at about the same place as Minnotauro. I love the background art in this game, its really damn good. Hell, everything in this game is really damn good.

Cant wait to get on live and get my ass handed to me.

Ironclad

Yusaku said:
You can buy skills both online and off, I don't think there's any difference.

The Live-only skills you get by winning matches.

Had my first run-in with a Japanese player tonight. He tried to show off his knowledge of American culture by saying "Oh dee bee...OLD DIRTY BASTARD!" He was probably confused when my friends and I burst into laughter.

Did you pretend you were reinacting the intro to the original Ninja Gaiden?
:lol :lol :lol
It seems like we were trying to do that doesn't it? Now that I think about it, I am reminded of that scene. A big flash and then we were both lying on the ground. :lol

Akira

Played some more single player last night, and finally got my arsenal before going to bed. Today, I played split-screen with my friend and it was really fun! I was a bit disappointed by the toned-down graphics in the split-screen mode, but the fun factor definitely offset that by more than a bit. In one battle, we were down to a few lifebars left and each of us had some sword skill. As soon as our aura recharged, we crossed swords. But my friend was quicker, and I lost the battle. It was one of those Kenshin moments. :lol

Dave Long

Banned
Why didn't Microsoft publish this game? I just don't get it. This is probably among the top three games I've played on the system and they developed it, yet Majesco is left to publish it as a budget title? WTF?!

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
Dave Long said:
Why didn't Microsoft publish this game? I just don't get it. This is probably among the top three games I've played on the system and they developed it, yet Majesco is left to publish it as a budget title? WTF?!

Good question. This game is amazing. It seems that anyone who spent a little time with it would feel the same way.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Dave Long said:

My take is that MS are assholes who are ready to let the Xbox tank so they can jizz all over the Xbox2/Xenon. Morons.

Akira

Ferny84 said:
I finally found the game, but now I need a way to get there...

Is this game more fun than Halo 2 online?

I don't know about online, but split-screen was really fun. I'm guessing the Live mode is probably as fun, and without the tone-down graphics of the split-screen mode. It's really fun "battling" against someone. But I suggest building up your arsenal in Scenario Mode first before playing online.

Dave Long

Banned
It's simialrly entertaining to Halo 2. It's more personal though. Since matches can't be bigger than four players, it makes it a lot less group driven. You can easily get on by yourself and have a blast with or without friends. There's certainly a lot of strategy to learn along with a need for some twitch skills.

Even if you just played the single player game though, you'd easily get your money's worth.

You don't get the toned down graphics of split screen. Everything is just like single player that way (or system link with one per Xbox). Also... no lag.

jedimike

Don't even try to compare this to Halo 2. There really isn't any online game to compare it to... I guess Pandora Tomorrow since you can have the same number of players and strategy plays a bigger role than skills.

Targets are locked on, so you don't really aim or anything. You have to know the skills you have and how to use them. Can I hit him around the corner with a parabolic? Am I out of range for this bomb? If I lay down this fire bullet, will I have enough mana to defend? etc.

More thinking... less fragging.

Ironclad

Prine said:
Fucking Mustafa and IronClad.

Im gonna buy this tonight
Damn right. Are you still gonna pick up Spikeout? I'm probably gonna reserve that today.

Played a whole lot of multiplayer this morning and finally got my first thirty kills. I got a 5-star skill called Knife Grind. Rather weak but it is worth quite a lot.

guys i have a question

i've been playing online, and i'll get near the end of the match and my health starts to deplete without me getting hit. what is happening? did someone hit me with a poison spell or something??

Ironclad

FrenchMovieTheme said:
guys i have a question

i've been playing online, and i'll get near the end of the match and my health starts to deplete without me getting hit. what is happening? did someone hit me with a poison spell or something??
Your arsenal has only 30 skills in it. When you use up all of your skills, your health will deplete. You can keep track of how many skills you have left by looking at the number in the upper right hand corner next to the multi-colored orbs. When that reaches zero, your health will start to deplete.

IJoel

I finally found it after looking for it in more than 10 stores. HEAR THAT MAJESCO!? Hopefully they won't screw Double Fine with their distribution of Psychonauts.

Miroku

After about 8 hours played, 4 of which are online with my n00b arsenal, I have to say this game is totally awesome. If anyone is on the fence about getting this, do yourself and the Live community a favor and pick it up.

Right now there doesnt seem to be much activity on the quick match feature unless you make your own match, but if you do then wait like 2 minutes some people will join your game. Looks like theres just over 2000 players in the rankings now so hopefully the community will grow and be active around the clock :)

I love how you can ressurect your teammate in the tag team mode! Goddamn this game is amazing!

Gattsu25

Banned
The live community in this game is the best of all the game's I've tried before (yep...all 2 of them)

despite the fact that I'm still getting raped...I'm having fun

Azih

You know the game is extremely buggy for me. I get crashes a lot when I'm trying to save an edited arsenal in the lab.

Gattsu25

Banned
the only problems I'm experiencing are some disk errors...but I have a Thompson drive and it happens in pretty much all my games

Gattsu25

Banned
alright...the online component to this game is great...not only is it a fuckload of fun, but it's also honest-to-majesco unique. If I have to list any complaints about the game...the music during some of the CG movies is not my style, the game needs 50000 more levels of the quality that is already here, and the partner AI in single player is dumb

the story is pretty good anime flair with a unique visual style...great music, excellent split screen play (wtf at the lack of destructable stuff in split screen, though =\) and an kickass online mode

the mutliple facets of balance required to create a good arsenal of moves is what I need to currently focus on. I can kick ass online in a 1v1 fight but I can already see that I have too many aura spheres and not enough defence

Yusaku

Wow, for two days I played an XBL game without encountering stupid "LOL FAGGOT NOOB!" bullshit. Looks like they found Phantom Dust finally.

Top Bottom