• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Pinball Arcade |OT| play them all from Soho to Brighton

Lettuce

Whats peoples issues with the UI then? (despite the text not fitting the icons)...it looks to be a similar setup to Pinball FX 2 and no one complains about that!?

GuyKazama

Whats peoples issues with the UI then? (despite the text not fitting the icons)...it looks to be a similar setup to Pinball FX 2 and no one complains about that!?

Much of my complaints come from comparing it to the previous UI. Compared to Pinball FX, I have many more tables to sort through in PBA. Lack of tables I'm interested in on FX keeps that UI from being an issue.

If PBA would just get rid of the ball distortion on each table logo, it would definitely be a good start and make the UI at least 10% better.

uyHlX3j.jpg

Honestly, I just want it back to the old UI. I feel like my investment in their product has lost value overnight. I'm done buying tables until I see some improvement in the app.

Back glass distorted on a ball is the worst offender. The other points are it looks like a my first UI by some kids. There's just no style or care taken with it after waiting so long. It's nasty and cheap looking.

vg260

Much of my complaints come from comparing it to the previous UI. Compared to Pinball FX, I have many more tables to sort through in PBA. Lack of tables I'm interested in on FX keeps that UI from being an issue.

If PBA would just get rid of the ball distortion on each table logo, it would definitely be a good start and make the UI at least 10% better.

Honestly, I just want it back to the old UI. I feel like my investment in their product has lost value overnight. I'm done buying tables until I see some improvement in the app.

Seriously, why do they need to incorporate the table name into an actual pinball in each square? I mean, do they think people are so stupid that they don't know these are pinball machines? Do they somehow think adding the logo onto a ball in each box is so clever that it's more important than actual readability?

It really does look like an early CD-ROM game or a build-your own DVD-menu. They should be embarrassed by it, especially considering how long they were working on it, and they ran a beta for feedback. I'm kinda regretting buying the last two season bundles ahead of time, and won't be picking up the newest until they fix this garbage interface. I usually cut them some slack too, but not anymore.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Apparently Coast 2 Coast Pinball is coming back! I haven't listened to the latest podcast, but I read the Pinside summary. For anyone interested:

Several months ago, after a visit to the Stern factory to record an episode of Pinball with the Pros, Nate was offered a marketing job at Stern. After some deliberation, Nate decides to give notice at his job at Taylor Guitars and starts to prepare for the move to Chicago. Nate and Teresa travel to Chicago look around and put a deposit on a house. Teresa applies for a job at a school. During this time Nate, realizing there is a conflict of interest between the Coast to Coast podcast and his new position at Stern decides to put the show on a hiatus. 3 weeks before they are to move to Chicago permanently, the vice-president of HR at Taylor offers Nate an new position as International Manager of sales at Taylor Guitars. Nate is torn between the two opportunities but knows that this new position is his dream job and reluctantly has to tell Stern that he is no longer coming to Chicago.

With the conflict of interest no longer present, Coast to Coast can resume and will run concurrently with The Wide World of Pinball. The show will no doubt have a more international flavor as Nate will be travelling to Europe as part of his new position and may even relocate there. Pinball podcast enthusiasts everywhere rejoice.

And my quick thoughts based off of the above summary:

I get it, but it was kind of shitty for Nate to just quit cold turkey and leave his huge fans in the dark like that. It would have been better for him to find a way to explain why he quit...Because from the sounds of it, it was 100% due to his new position at Stern <that he ended up not taking>.

That makes me sound like an entitled asshole, but I'm allowed to feel a bit butt hurt given how great of a show he had. ;)

Shaneus

Eh, he would've revealed it soon enough one way or another. I kind of enjoyed the "suspense" and it gave me an opportunity to get stuck into some other podcasts I'd never have heard (like the kind of rad* This Flippin' Podcast).

*not a fan of Taylor, but Tommy is cool and excitable as hell

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
That makes me sound like an entitled asshole, but I'm allowed to feel a bit butt hurt given how great of a show he had. ;)[/SPOILER]

Haha yeah it's just good to have C2C back. I never had any guesses about what was happening, and I don't read Pinside or follow pinball outside of C2C and this thread, but it did feel roughly like something akin to what actually happened was happening. I did assume he'd gotten some sort of job with Stern. I wonder how much he pissed them off backing out of his offer acceptance hahah. Not even sure what the role was -- was it sales I'm assuming? Hopefully he can resume a regular cadence soon and shoot the shit about random pinball stuff like he used to. :D

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
It's here...it's finally here!!! (Still have to do little setup things but wanted to snap a picture of the close to finalized pinball room. :D)

AKhjLXA.jpg

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Nice!!

How many more pins can you fit in that room?

The opposite wall is currently for board games so if I move the treadmill out (possible), I have comfortably room for one more machine. Thinking about maybe a MAME cab to mix it up but shopping for those is kind of annoying (lot of little details to worry about).

Shaneus

It's here...it's finally here!!! (Still have to do little setup things but wanted to snap a picture of the close to finalized pinball room. :D)

AKhjLXA.jpg
Oh shit, nice score! Been a while between posts in this thread, but I'm glad that's the one that brought it back to life.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Oh shit, nice score! Been a while between posts in this thread, but I'm glad that's the one that brought it back to life.

Aaaand now I have some soldering to do because I snipped a little Slimer wire in my excitement to get the bag and tie off Slimer. Hahahaaargh.... Shaneus one of these days you should make a pinball thread so I don't feel bad posting non-TPA in here all the time. :p (I do play and own dozens of tables on TPA but the lure of the real-life silverball is just too strong nowadays :D.)

snaffles

AKhjLXA.jpg

Cool setup, I played Ghostbusters a few times recently and really enjoyed it. Metallica I always find depressing to play because I am so bad at pinball that I don't even get through the intro to the songs half the time.

Shaneus

Aaaand now I have some soldering to do because I snipped a little Slimer wire in my excitement to get the bag and tie off Slimer. Hahahaaargh.... Shaneus one of these days you should make a pinball thread so I don't feel bad posting non-TPA in here all the time. :p (I do play and own dozens of tables on TPA but the lure of the real-life silverball is just too strong nowadays :D.)
Eh, this is basically the defacto pinball catch-all thread anyway, don't feel bad at all for posting IRL pinball (and other non-TPA stuff) in here. TPA has taken a bit of a slide for me anyways, so it's pretty much the only thing in here that doesn't get discussed.

Triz

No, please post your tables if you are getting them. Im sure we all like to drool over the things we wish we could afford.

microtubule

I just downloaded a 275MB update on Steam.

Cool! looks like Big Hurt has been released!

https://steamcommunity.com/app/238260/discussions/0/353915309338634752/
Version 1.52.3 (7/28/16)
- Frank Thomas' Big Hurt added
- Gorgars Hud Should be fixed on ALL platforms. (Hud display fixed.)
- Indy 500 Tuning update on ALL platforms.
- Monster Bash multiball camera fix.
- Rescue 911 needs to be updated on ALL platforms. (Collision update resolving multiple jackpots being detected)
- TX Sector needs to be updated on ALL platforms. (Tuning update to resolve balls getting stuck in traps)
- Sound fix for tables that lost table music All platforms.
- Player Transition screens in Portrait now display correctly.
- Start button in portrait is now displayed correctly.
- Front Title Screen Menu Updated
- Hall of Fame Leaderboards added to Table Select Overlays
- Tournament Leaderboards added to Tournaments

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Ghostbusters man...I think I'm in love (which is a good thing considering the cost, though I guess if I was meh I could easily sell it for what I paid). I played it at Cal. Extreme and really enjoyed it, but first off the little bells & whistles on the LE are just on a whole 'nother level from the Pro (I think LE is pretty close to Premium other than Shaker, which you can install like I did on my MET Premium). And what I really love is that the play and feel of the game is just amazing and also so different from the MET. The shots really just zip but also each feel quite different. Favorite right now is obviously the train/subway shot that's just such a cool one to show off.

HotHamBoy

New Newsletter is out. And it mentions that the Head-to-Head Open Beta is currently going on for the Steam version.

YaLIqZT.jpg

Could be 1 of 2 tables:
Eight Ball Deluxe
or
Sharkey's Shootout

https://773839.content.nlgrid.com/w...YM1Z6WlhKZmFXUWlPakV6TnpVeE9URTROakV4TjMwPQ==

It's absolutely Eight Ball Deluxe. That is a highly requested table, people constantly bringing it up on the forums for years (Ask Again Later...). Top of the line = Deluxe IMO.

Also, Sharkey's Shootout is a Stern table. Since the Stern Pinball Arcade is their new app I'm pretty sure all future Stern adaptations will be released through that. And Sharkey's Shootout sucks, but that doesn't really matter...

Word of warning to people on iOS: Frank Thomas Big Hurt is buggy as shit.

EDIT: Launching Gorgar crashes the app on iOS!

MattyH

just wanted to post some quick impressions of the Pins i played yesterday

Rollergames - i think out of the pins i played this was the weakest just seemed clunky i did like the magnet shot though

Goldeneye - i really enjoyed the speed of some of the shots only issue i had was the multiball seemed really easy to achieve but i did enjoy the satellite lock

Radical! - didn't seem to have much going on in the playfield reminded me a lot of dr dude and elvira and the party monsters

Johnny Mnemonic - i had a few plays of this nice fast table a lot of cool shots and features

Judge Dredd - easily the second best pin i played yesterday the art the rotating planet it was a really fun pin

Metallica - this pin is insane from the second you choose the music to the speed of play and the shots so much fun

Went to the original Pinballz location up in Austin last night after Classic Game Fest, left disappointed. Found out they moved Black Knight 2000 to their new location. Also found that they haven't been keeping up maintenance on a lot of their machines. :( First time I've gone up there and not used all of my tokens. I hope they get on the ball, this was pretty weak. I avoided the new location since my friend told me when he went the night before that everything was broken there.

For anyone in South Florida, the Silverball Museum opened in Delray Beach. I had an hour while my wife and daughter went to Target, but it was a decent hour spent. Great selection of pins, though quite a bit of 60s stuff that I just can't get in to. Played Gorgar, Getaway, Indy 500, Guns n Roses and ST: TNG. ST and the Getaway needed service, but everything else was good. 10 bucks for an hour of play, but 25 gets you unlimited. Decent beer selection too.

Also...I apparently am much better at TPA. Not seeing a physical pin in 20 years...yikes.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
For anyone in South Florida, the Silverball Museum opened in Delray Beach. I had an hour while my wife and daughter went to Target, but it was a decent hour spent. Great selection of pins, though quite a bit of 60s stuff that I just can't get in to. Played Gorgar, Getaway, Indy 500, Guns n Roses and ST: TNG. ST and the Getaway needed service, but everything else was good. 10 bucks for an hour of play, but 25 gets you unlimited. Decent beer selection too.

Also...I apparently am much better at TPA. Not seeing a physical pin in 20 years...yikes.
Heh, I actually live nearby. I should check this out over the weekend. Address?

Benedict

Having problem with Pinball Arcade.
Seems to have forgotten my password.
When I try to reset it on https://www.pinballanalytics.com/Account/ , I get the following message:
An Error Occurred While Sending Email
Error: SMTP Connect() failed.

And I never get an reset email

If I try some other versions of passwords I get the following message:
Email Validation Required (Use 'Forgot Password' to re-validate)

This has been going on now for a day and I've contacted them on support@pinballarcade.com for about 8-10 hrs ago, but haven't received any confirmation that they received my email.

So at the moment I am stuck and can't log in at all, meaning not being able to play on any of my devices since using the reset password service rendered the old ones useless.

They need to get their shit together.

I've got a problem with the latest update (iPad Air 2), I've got no sound. I've restarted and checked the options and sound is set to ON so I hope this gets fixed soon.

Shaneus

This is the first time I haven't bought the upcoming season pack (or any tables) for any of the platforms I own TPA on, being PC and iOS. That UI can just piss right off.

Velinos

Finally got the call last night that my Hobbit pinball machine shipped. Only took 17 months, yay! Should be delivered next week, so I'll get to start learning what it is like to have my own machine.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Finally got the call last night that my Hobbit pinball machine shipped. Only took 17 months, yay! Should be delivered next week, so I'll get to start learning what it is like to have my own machine.

sogood! And Hobbit is so deep too! Really good for a home machine. I definitely would have considered WoZ or Hobbit for my machines but they're just not really my themes. Awesome gameplay especially for a home machine though.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Big Bang Bar was a pretty fun play, I'm going to go back soon and play some more.

Wish it would be in TPA, though. Everyone needs to play this. Did we ever determine what the problem was in simulating it? The Capcom hardware didn't have bespoke CPUs, did it?

Shaneus

I should be playing a friend's one this arvo, all things going well! Could well be one of the first in a customer's house in Australia, too.

-Gozer-

This is the first time I haven't bought the upcoming season pack (or any tables) for any of the platforms I own TPA on, being PC and iOS. That UI can just piss right off.

Same.

I've bought all of the pro seasons day 1 since TPA was released on Steam. Its been so long since I've launched that app that I haven't even used the new UI yet. It's probably for the best that I don't use it seeing the reception its gotten.

The amount of table bugs (and new ones popping up every table release) and the few times I've lost access to my purchased tables due to a Farsight server being down just because I decided to purchase the seasons in app rather on the Steam store page has really rubbed me the wrong way.

Hell, I and many others still have the DirectX 11 full screen bug.(I know there's an easy workaround) This has been an issue since day 1 of the DX11 beta. I just don't understand how this is still an issue.

Bebpo

Banned
How come they never added season challenges for S2-S4? (at least on PS4 where I'm playing). Finally got around to playing the S1 challenge, haven't played a lot of these old S1 tables in forever, but there's still so many great ones in S1. Had a lot of fun going through the challenge. You'd think making S2-S4 challenges would take all of like an hour to just line up the tables in a playlist with specific score targets for each.

Game has a billion flaws, but still pick it up and play it every couple of months, never gets old.

Also I don't understand how they are still making new pinball machines these days. Who is buying these in enough volume to produce them? The only place I ever see pinball machines are at barcades or old bowling alleys/golflands that haven't bought a new machine in 20 years.

Shaneus

I should be playing a friend's one this arvo, all things going well! Could well be one of the first in a customer's house in Australia, too.
Follow-up: is fucking amazing. Nowhere near as cluttered or overwhelming as WoZ, feels very much like it's own game. Really impressed.

Bebpo

Banned
Ran into a new glitch for me on PS4. Doing the Season One challenge, I'm about 14-15 tables in now and the game completely blue screen crashes after every table clear. Luckily it seems to save first so rebooting the game and continuing the challenge goes to the next table, but still ><

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Also I don't understand how they are still making new pinball machines these days. Who is buying these in enough volume to produce them? The only place I ever see pinball machines are at barcades or old bowling alleys/golflands that haven't bought a new machine in 20 years.
People who grow up in the 80s and 90s are getting into their 30+ and able to buy these things for the home, meaning that the home market (especially in the U.S.) is popping, and also that these people are also seeking out pinball in the wild, so even location pinball is enjoying a resurgence (caveat on that one being that this is more of a big-city thing for the most part). Obviously barely a fraction of what it was in pinball's heyday of the early 90s, but far from the doldrums of the 2000s when it looked like the hobby might die out entirely.

Top Bottom