• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Pinball Arcade |OT| play them all from Soho to Brighton

Velinos

Got The Hobbit yesterday and all set up. Damn, that thing is heavy. Now I just need to figure out how to get good at playing.

X0fElMHl.jpg

HotHamBoy

So Stern announced Batman '66.
Batman%2066%20Pinball%20Full-thumb-633x819-500296.jpg

https://www.pastemagazine.com/artic...aking-a-batman-66-pinball-machine-starri.html

Haven't followed the pinside threads on it, but looks totally amazing to me. Love the theme and with Lyman coding that's a super-solid bet so it pretty much comes down to the playfield. Might have to figure out whether I want to sell Metallica or otherwise make room for this if they really hit it out of the park.

This is my dream theme! They already confirmed that it's basically a partially reworked Stern Batman, though.

BTW, Where is Stern Pinball Arcade for other platforms? GearVR version has Star Trek and just got AC/DC!

Velinos

This is my dream theme! They already confirmed that it's basically a partially reworked Stern Batman, though.

BTW, Where is Stern Pinball Arcade for other platforms? GearVR version has Star Trek and just got AC/DC!

It sounds more like they took some elements from The Dark Knight and made a whole new game. Listen to Coast2Coast Pinball's latest podcast where they go into it in detail. If it is a dream theme for you, you might want to jump in on it sooner rather than later. It sounds like it will be a short run (I've heard the number 500 premiums being rumored).

Haven't heard much from Stern Pinball Arcade in a while. They are probably pushing VR since that is the hot topic right now. Hopefully they get around to Steam and other platforms, but I would actually love for them to just fix the UI.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
It sounds more like they took some elements from The Dark Knight and made a whole new game. Listen to Coast2Coast Pinball's latest podcast where they go into it in detail. If it is a dream theme for you, you might want to jump in on it sooner rather than later. It sounds like it will be a short run (I've heard the number 500 premiums being rumored).

Haven't heard much from Stern Pinball Arcade in a while. They are probably pushing VR since that is the hot topic right now. Hopefully they get around to Steam and other platforms, but I would actually love for them to just fix the UI.

Yeah sounds like they kind of updated half the playfield, but it's loosely similar, and the other half is brand new. Also the use of LCD is really exciting to me. I might hold off and see what other games they're announcing as Gomez on C2C mentioned they had another announcement coming soon and if this is the type of theme they're starting to get into it could be really great (not the usual actiony-photoshop stuff they've been doing).

vg260

So I took a guess at what next month's table is based on the newsletter table pic, and I was thinking, "no way that's that name of a real table." Apparently it is. I kinda love it though.

Bebpo

Banned
I really wish the game was more polished. Going back to it after not playing for a year or so, a couple things that annoyed me right off the bat in the PS4 versions:

-On Williams Challenge the scrolling up/down doesn't work on the table list. So you can't see how many tables are left in the challenge or your points once you pass the initial 14 or so.
-Pretty annoying that when you're in a challenge you don't unlock table/wizard goals. Got a bunch I hadn't had (or should have gotten) on good runs with some of these tables in the challenge, but nope, none of them unlocked.
-Would really like a sort option to sort by season in your table list
-Champion Pub spit video mode table goal is the worst thing ever. I've just moved on, this game is too stressful. Actually this is something I've come to realize. Playing the tables for fun = good times. Playing the tables for goals = stressful fucking shit that I don't need after a stressful day of work. Seriously some of the most aggravating stuff on certain goals because of the luck/randomness factor. I'm not even bothering with goals anymore. Just playing tables for fun.

what is tpa?

hahaha

Shaneus

Still haven't updated the app on my iPad, last playable table is TX Sector. Haven't played the PC one for yonks either.

Fuck the new UI.

Teppic

Still haven't updated the app on my iPad, last playable table is TX Sector. Haven't played the PC one for yonks either.

Fuck the new UI.
I'm still not buying any more seasons because of the new ui. I was planning to buy them all, and now I just don't care.

I have the first three seasons on PC backed up with the old ui, but since the changes I actually haven't played it even once. I get so many bad associations whenever I think about fairsight that I just can't bring myself to do it.

Bebpo

Banned
Oh wow, I was wondering what you guys were all talking about with the new UI since I've never really noticed it in the PS4 version which I decided back in S1/S2 to be my main TPA location due to the enhanced lighting. I just googled new UI and yeah I'm seeing a totally different one that looks more like pinball FX's UI. Did they just never update the PS4 version with it?

Shaneus

Oh wow, I was wondering what you guys were all talking about with the new UI since I've never really noticed it in the PS4 version which I decided back in S1/S2 to be my main TPA location due to the enhanced lighting. I just googled new UI and yeah I'm seeing a totally different one that looks more like pinball FX's UI. Did they just never update the PS4 version with it?
I don't even know what the most recent PS4 table is. If it's TX-Sector or earlier, I'd say they're just that far behind on updates. Probably haven't even finished the last season yet!

Jucksalbe

Banned
I don't even know what the most recent PS4 table is. If it's TX-Sector or earlier, I'd say they're just that far behind on updates. Probably haven't even finished the last season yet!

The newest one on PS4 (in Europe) is Hurricane (released 6 months ago!), so TX-Sector is still far away.

Shaneus

The newest one on PS4 (in Europe) is Hurricane (released 6 months ago!), so TX-Sector is still far away.
SMH. So I see they still suffer from the same syndrome of working on too many platforms at the same time. They should never have taken on that deal with Stern, because now they have to release that as well as their existing tables.

Good luck if anyone backed the Dr. Who table for PS4/One, I'm guessing it'll be a while off yet!

Shinriji

PS VITA Full Season 5 is avaliable now (finally). Only 2 tables from Season 5 were released back then.

Don't know about future support, though.

My arcade owner has the drain aka angle of all the machines cranked up to the max. Frustrating as hell.

Is there a hack for TPA PC to increase the drain so I can have a more comparable experience? Need some practice.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
My arcade owner has the drain aka angle of all the machines cranked up to the max. Frustrating as hell.

Is there a hack for TPA PC to increase the drain so I can have a more comparable experience? Need some practice.

I believe with the pro tables you can adjust the pitch to whatever you want (within some limits).

Shaneus

I believe with the pro tables you can adjust the pitch to whatever you want (within some limits).
Pretty sure you can't. I don't remember seeing such an option in either the PC or iOS versions.

Mind you, it's been a few months since I've even fired TPA up. Since the new GUI, funnily enough.

Pretty sure you can't. I don't remember seeing such an option in either the PC or iOS versions.

Mind you, it's been a few months since I've even fired TPA up. Since the new GUI, funnily enough.

Yeah, it's bullshit.

Maybe there's a registry hack or something. Hey, I can dream. TPA is sad, but everybody knows it. Shame.

Benedict

I wish they'd release some sort of discount program for seasons and tables, if I have it on one device and want it on another. I'ts all tied to the same account, isn't it?
So it would be possible.
They would probably gain a lot financially on that.

Back in the day one of the arcades I visited did the same. So I just took the top off the tubular bin ashtrays they had, fliped it over and put it under the front leg of the pins I was playing.

It was hard deciding between posting here and Android gaming recommendations, but I grew up with a pinball machine in the house and didn't get a smart phone until 35 years after I fell in love with the flippers, so this place wins. :)

A new "endless pinballer" game dropped today that I've been having a good time with called "PinOut". It's out for iOS and Android and it gives me a nice endless, recursive devils crush but simpler, but longer and deeper and really enjoyable. 1 IAP to unlock the ability to zoom to check points after time eventually runs out as you keep hitting the ball higher and higher up. Physics are soft and the game is more than fair, but maddeningly, perfectly pinball too, in my opinion.

They call themselves "Mediocre Games", but I think this is stellar. http://www.mediocre.se/pinout/

I hope someone out there enjoys it as much as I have been!

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
New newsletter. Bone Busters Inc. was just added to the Steam version, some pics of the new Doctor Who table, and a hint for the next table that I have no idea what it's about.

november_hint_2016.jpg

Any ideas?

Benedict

It was hard deciding between posting here and Android gaming recommendations, but I grew up with a pinball machine in the house and didn't get a smart phone until 35 years after I fell in love with the flippers, so this place wins. :)

A new "endless pinballer" game dropped today that I've been having a good time with called "PinOut". It's out for iOS and Android and it gives me a nice endless, recursive devils crush but simpler, but longer and deeper and really enjoyable. 1 IAP to unlock the ability to zoom to check points after time eventually runs out as you keep hitting the ball higher and higher up. Physics are soft and the game is more than fair, but maddeningly, perfectly pinball too, in my opinion.

They call themselves "Mediocre Games", but I think this is stellar. http://www.mediocre.se/pinout/

I hope someone out there enjoys it as much as I have been!

I downloaded it on my iPad today and was going to write about it here as well.
Really great game with a very nice design.
Big big surprise and a game I really enjoy to play.
Can recommend it as well.

Steam Halloween Sale

The Steam Halloween sale is now active until Nov. 1st! Now is the time to complete your collection with these super deals!

Season One - $29.99 $19.79
Season One Pro - $39.99 $19.99

Season Two - $29.99 $9.89
Season Two Pro - $39.99 $9.99

Season Three - $29.99 $9.89
Season Three Pro - $39.99 $9.99

Season Four - $29.99 $19.79
Season Four Pro - $39.99 $19.99

Finally, a rare pinball sale!

Shaneus

Don't even have the latest ones on sale though. I thought S4 might've been, but nope. S5 is the last complete one and that isn't on sale, and neither is the current one (S6).

Funnily enough, don't even really miss playing it on PC, or even iOS for that matter.

Sitting at the bar post play time at Silverball in Delray. Lots of good stuff, Twilight Zone, Addams Family, Wizard of Oz, The Hobbit, Terminator 2, Indy 500, Corvette good stuff. If youre anywhere near Delray Beach visit. Some of the pins can use help, but getting better.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Sitting at the bar post play time at Silverball in Delray. Lots of good stuff, Twilight Zone, Addams Family, Wizard of Oz, The Hobbit, Terminator 2, Indy 500, Corvette good stuff. If youre anywhere near Delray Beach visit. Some of the pins can use help, but getting better.
They didn't have Twilight Zone or the Jersey Jack games last I went there. Is the Big Bang Bar still on display?

Kotaku's this week in releases article claims the PS4 version of Stern Pinball Arcade comes out this Wednesday.

http://kotaku.com/the-week-in-games-who-watches-the-watch-dogs-1788931240

Shaneus

We do now:
En3Bt2U.jpg

Gladiators
Ah. So their Williams license has run out for this season (or something) so they're doing the Gottlieb tables. Centigrade 37/Jacks Open (EM Gottliebs) and Gladiators (SS, basically garbage-tier Gottliebs, right next to Tee'd Off).

Blu10

Anyone got an opinion on or impressions of Stern Pinball Arcade? Worth the price of entry?

Everything I have read is that it is way to dark. I'd love to be able to pick it up just to familiarize myself better with the AC/DC rules, but from the videos I have watched it looks horrible.

Triz

There was a patch today for better lighting in Stern Pinball Arcade. I refuse to pay the price for the tables even if I want that Star Trek Table.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Ah. So their Williams license has run out for this season (or something) so they're doing the Gottlieb tables. Centigrade 37/Jacks Open (EM Gottliebs) and Gladiators (SS, basically garbage-tier Gottliebs, right next to Tee'd Off).
Dang. I was hoping they would add the Bally Corvette table, since Stern Pinball Arcade has the Mustang Boss 302 Edition table.

Shaneus

Dang. I was hoping they would add the Bally Corvette table, since Stern Pinball Arcade has the Mustang Boss 302 Edition table.
It's speculation on my part, but it's happened before. There was a run a few seasons ago where three or four GTB tables came out in a row, and I think they confirmed as much about the licencing.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
It's speculation on my part, but it's happened before. There was a run a few seasons ago where three or four GTB tables came out in a row, and I think they confirmed as much about the licencing.
You're probably right. Not that I'm complaining, Frank Thomas Big Hurt was pretty fun.

I just want the Bally Corvette game, tho.

microtubule

Fuck the new UI.

I keep buying all the season passes on Steam (Farsight must be happy) but I haven't played as much since the UI update. It's just something about it that bothers me and if I had a toggle to return to the previous UI that would be ok by me.

Top Bottom