• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Pinball Arcade |OT| play them all from Soho to Brighton

Crap, I got double-billed for the new DLC when I tried to redownload it in the "non-free" IOS app (had already bought it in the discontinued "free" app)! This happen to anybody?

Shaneus

The Getaway would be fantastic. Love that table.
Yea, I've played MM so much (probably 50-70+ hours) that I just can't get into Monster Bash.
Yeah, like... I don't *hate* them, but it's easy to see the similarities between them. 4-5 loops, all to get you an exact percentage of the main basic goal (the madnesses in MM, each freak in MB, each jewel in TotAN), the target to activate the "super" aspect of those goals (Merlin's Magic, the MB one, the bazaar in TotAN), the jets for multipliers/bonuses (all pretty much exactly the same in each), the novelty-ish goals (trolls in MM, Drac in MB...) have them all acting pretty much the same. At least when we get TZ and STTNG there'll be a good amount of variation, but the "new" tables they've picked couldn't have been more similar if they tried.

sladeums

Promoting this as "FREE" app of the week in the App Store might not have been the greatest idea.
It's just getting shredded in user reviews.

Minsc

Gold Member
Promoting this as "FREE" app of the week in the App Store might not have been the greatest idea.
It's just getting shredded in user reviews.

Also think not having Gamecenter in place before getting in front of the spot light is a bad idea. A lot of people are going to be immediately turned away by the facebook integration, when that should just be an option.

There's not really much you can do about the everything must be completely free (no IAP) if it says free or 1-star users though, just hope that they get a few thousand new customers despite the 100,000s that turn away.

Baron

You know what I would really like? Some new tables for 360. Or the game for 3DS. I wonder when those will happen.

It's been almost threeeeee months since it was released on the 360 without a single update now. I'm kinda pissed I decided on it over the PS3 version.

Jucksalbe

Banned
It's been almost threeeeee months since it was released on the 360 without a single update now. I'm kinda pissed I decided on it over the PS3 version.

For me the PS3 version comes out next week, so the 360 version would still have been better. :)
But to be honest, since I couldn't wait, I bought it for the 360 and will switch as soon as the PS3 version comes out.

Minsc

Gold Member
You know what I would really like? Some new tables for 360. Or the game for 3DS. I wonder when those will happen.

3DS is not looking very good, it's pretty much dead last in their priorities (that or PC, but probably 3DS since you could at least pick PC for the TZ kickstarter, but not 3DS). They said 3DS and Wii are not capable of running the rom emulation / engine without a lot of optimization, Wii is simply not happening at all actually, too weak a system.

Tables for the 360 are "moving through the approval process at Microsoft. We will announce an availability date when we know it." So in 6 months when Microsoft feels like finally approving the tables, you will be able to get them, but don't get too excited, because they will probably have bugs and you'll need to wait another 6 months for those bugs to get fixed.

I bought on 360 originally. IF I buy anything else from them it will be PC or PS3. Sorry if it sounds cruel, but the Wii should have never been a platform for this to begin with. Honestly, who has a Wii that does not also have a 360/PS3/PC that would actually want to play old school pinball anyway?

Shaneus

I don't think it ever was to begin with... unless you're counting Bally/Williams Pinball Classics, but they weren't using emulation.

jgkspsx

Emulation of what, exactly? The firmware that played sounds and drove the dot matrix display? Maybe I'm crazy, but that would seem to be about as demanding as a pocket calculator. Even if the software was running the table's electromechanical parts, I have a really hard time believing the CPU was beefy in the slightest.

I know the 3DS isn't that powerful, but is it really that far behind the iPhone and all Android phones running this game? I don't think so.

Shaneus

Emulation of what, exactly? The firmware that played sounds and drove the dot matrix display? Maybe I'm crazy, but that would seem to be about as demanding as a pocket calculator. Even if the software was running the table's electromechanical parts, I have a really hard time believing the CPU was beefy in the slightest.

I know the 3DS isn't that powerful, but is it really that far behind the iPhone and all Android phones running this game? I don't think so.
Williams and Bally Classics both used scripting for events on the table (ie. if ball hits this target, light this light, play this sound and this animation). They're fully emulating everything in PA, which means dumping the ROMs from the tables and executing every little instruction, bugs, easter eggs and all. And also how to handle things like prioritising sounds, display information, that sort of thing (especially during something like multiball when there's a shitload going on).

I asked the same thing on their forum and that's basically the answer they gave me. And thinking about it, it makes total sense. Older tables (like Gorgar, Black Hole etc.) still use scripting because they don't have the chipsets for those tables emulated yet (and people have reported bugs with certain lights not lighting up etc. because that particular condition wasn't programmed in), but they will be implementing that soon.

Kinda bummed I bought this on 360. Looked like the best overall version at the time. Now it's just lagging and appears to be the worst version to own.

Kinda bummed I bought this on 360. Looked like the best overall version at the time. Now it's just lagging and appears to be the worst version to own.

It's the only platform I even own to play it on... unless they release it for PC or 3DS some day.
Whatever. I will give them my money if they let me but it's all on them.

Crap, I got double-billed for the new DLC when I tried to redownload it in the "non-free" IOS app (had already bought it in the discontinued "free" app)! This happen to anybody?

Yeah, that's why they warned on their Facebook page that if you already had the free version, to make sure you had it updated and don't download the full app, because Apple was making them take down the free app for the length of the promotion so as not to confuse customers. They are two completely different SKU's in Apple's system. They should have mentioned that in the game's update description as well, that can be updated in seconds, no review period for that.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
FYI, Circus Voltaire and Funhouse posted for Vita today as well as PS3. However, the patch to allow the Vita to see the DLC, and the patch to allow PA on PS3 to use any DLC is nowhere in sight.

So be warned, you can't use the DLC yet if you buy it...

Triz

If you delete your Pinball arcade game from the PS3 and redownload it you can use all the new tables. This was a workaround I found. Still cant get them on the VITA. I bet if I delete of thier it will work too but I know game saves are tied to the game on the vita so Im hestant to delete.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
If you delete your Pinball arcade game from the PS3 and redownload it you can use all the new tables. This was a workaround I found. Still cant get them on the VITA. I bet if I delete of thier it will work too but I know game saves are tied to the game on the vita so Im hestant to delete.

Deleting isn't even required, downloading the 'demo' from PSN will work.

Vita requires a separate patch, redownloading the Vita version won't work.

FoxSpirit

Heiho EU pinball arcade... I need you. I can't play this crash prone Android version anymore... and it loves to crash most when I get into really long games with high scores. Like when I score a billion in Bride of Pinbot. Or when the monsters assemble for the big finale in Monster Bash. Blargh.

ismaboof

Oh good. The desaturation applies to Theatre of Magic now too.

Looks like I won't be buying the DLC or playing Pinball Arcade until there's a fix. Sorry you're a small company and can't afford patches Farsight :(

Minsc

Gold Member
Impressions of the PS3 DLC/patch are pretty encouraging, seems they greatly enhanced the lighting (now significantly better than the 360 version and all other versions as well) and also made the tables a bit darker so all the crazy multi-ball light shows shine a lot more, they may have removed the lag (a few people seem to say it's gone), and they improved the physics on the tables so the ball doesn't feel as floaty. Also saves camera settings and removes facebook logging in at launch. Also they will be adding trophies:

The Pinball Arcade We realize many users enjoy achieving trophies on PSN. We plan to add the following trophies on PS3/Vita for ALL DLC tables (previously released and future tables) in the July or August update:

Top 5 high score: Bronze
Table #1 high score: Bronze
Complete Standard goals: Bronze
Complete Wizard goals: Silver

Edit: You can get a little idea of the lighting from a video someone at TPA forums shot here.

And there is a interview concerning the Wii U having unique features as well:

NL: Have you had much opportunity, so far, to work on Wii U. If so, do you have specific ideas of how the GamePad capabilities can be used for pinball?
JO: Yes, we’re hard at work on bringing our Pinball Arcade product to the Wii U. We’re using the GamePad to show the table DMD display (so it doesn’t obscure the table like it does on other platforms) — it’s really cool!

NL: We have to ask, do you have an estimated release date for the 3DS and Wii U versions of The Pinball Arcade?
JO: Not yet. We’d like to bring the Wii U version out as close to the launch as possible. We have a few technical problems to solve on the 3DS, mainly related to the ROM-emulation: we’re having trouble running it fast enough to play the game at 60fps on the 3DS’s processor. The Pinball Hall of Fame collection we released previously on 3DS did not feature ROM-emulation, but many tables in the Pinball Arcade depend on it.

Also, a member on TPA is suggesting the PC version maybe be coming sooner than one thinks (which at this point I'm pegging like November when TZ releases, so anytime in the Summer would be a plus).

Shaneus

Impressions of the PS3 DLC/patch are pretty encouraging, seems they greatly enhanced the lighting (now significantly better than the 360 version and all other versions as well) and also made the tables a bit darker so all the crazy multi-ball light shows shine a lot more, they may have removed the lag (a few people seem to say it's gone), and they improved the physics on the tables so the ball doesn't feel as floaty. Also saves camera settings and removes facebook logging in at launch. Also they will be adding trophies:

Edit: You can get a little idea of the lighting from a video someone at TPA forums shot here.

And there is a interview concerning the Wii U having unique features as well:

Also, a member on TPA is suggesting the PC version maybe be coming sooner than one thinks (which at this point I'm pegging like November when TZ releases, so anytime in the Summer would be a plus).
Wait... November is "sooner"? Jesus fucking Christ. I was under the impression it was weeks away. If that's the consensus... ugh.

Nobody cares about a Wii U port right now. Screw that, concentrate on what's out now rather than what will be out later. Get PC sorted, then just port it over to whatever console comes out (not counting 3DS) because they're all essentially PC-based anyway.

ARGH.

Minsc

Gold Member
Wait... November is "sooner"? Jesus fucking Christ. I was under the impression it was weeks away. If that's the consensus... ugh.

Nobody cares about a Wii U port right now. Screw that, concentrate on what's out now rather than what will be out later. Get PC sorted, then just port it over to whatever console comes out (not counting 3DS) because they're all essentially PC-based anyway.

ARGH.

November was my current expectations for the PC version based on not having to be disappointed by more delays (which FarSight is quite good at), sorry for the confusion. There's really no dates to ground it at all, other than the news FarSight hinted at like a month ago and never updated, and this recent speculation on TPA forums that a PC release may be sooner than later, which would bump my overly pessimistic expectations to summer time. I refuse to believe it's weeks away (weren't they just recently talking about still needing to get the engine made and have the PC version be feature complete to the consoles with lighting etc), but would be happy to be wrong!

depths20XX

Been playing a lot of this on Vita. Tried Cirqus Voltaire and Funhouse last night. Ball actually got stuck in the back one time on cirqus and was never able to get unstuck, even the call attendant thing didn't work. Seems like a fun table though. Mostly been playing MM, got 160mill a couple days ago. Probably my favorite table right now but I need to put more time in with the new ones. It's a shame this game feels like such a work in progress.

Baron

I completed all the Standard Goals on Medieval Madness, but my Trophy did not pop. What gives?

Why am I not surprised at more bugs?

With the three month and counting wait for any patch or DLC for the Xbox version, I've basically just tried to forget about the game. If I want to play some video pinball, I'll boot up my Williams disc. In six months...a year, whenever they get their shit together, then I'll consider playing Pinball Arcade again.

Until then - Farsight overpromised and way, way underdelivered.

jvm

Gamasutra.
Minsc what does removed Facebook login at launch mean? I don't use FB and I dislike having to click through the FB screen when I boot the PS3 version... Yet the FB login screen is still there on my PS3 version after updating and buying all the new tables. Can you clarify please?

Minsc

Gold Member
Minsc what does removed Facebook login at launch mean? I don't use FB and I dislike having to click through the FB screen when I boot the PS3 version... Yet the FB login screen is still there on my PS3 version after updating and buying all the new tables. Can you clarify please?

Just going by impressions I read from here (two people say facebook spamming is gone).

Gillian Seed said:
I completed all the Standard Goals on Medieval Madness, but my Trophy did not pop. What gives?

Trophies will be coming to all DLC tables in either July or August according to FarSight.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
For EU PS3 customers, via the TPA Facebook page:

We have good news and bad news to report on the release of the Pinball Arcade on Sony platforms in Europe. Many of our fans noticed that the PlayStation3 version did not launch in Europe today as scheduled. At the last minute Sony Computer Entertainment Europe approached us with a plan to promote both the PlayStation3 and PS Vita versions if we agreed to delay the PlayStation3 version so that they could come out together. We really can't turn down that kind of publicity when a big company like Sony offers it to us, so we consented. The good news is that both the PlayStation 3 version and the PS Vita version are now scheduled for release in Europe on July 11th, and we should get some great publicity that will help introduce many new people to the joys of pinball. Thanks for your patience, and thanks for supporting the Pinball Arcade!

jvm

Gamasutra.
Just going by impressions I read from here (two people say facebook spamming is gone).
They're right, it's gone.

I was remembering last night when I downloaded the DLC and repeatedly restarted the game only to find the DLC wasn't recognized. :( Came here and saw the tip to delete the game and redownload -- which I did, and everything works wonderfully. So well, I suppose, that I didn't even notice that the FB stuff was gone. Yay!

Agent X

I just tried two quick games of Tales of the Arabian Nights--one before and one after the update.

I've got mixed feelings on the lighting issue. The lighting does look better, but the table is also noticeably darker overall, as is the scoreboard (which is now drawn to show the individual LED lights).

Unfortunately, the lag is still there. There doesn't seem to be any difference.

They did add a nice XMB background image now, which wasn't there before.

One new bug I noticed is that the high score font for the local scoreboard is messed up. There seems to be an issue with scores that have the numeral "1" in them--the proportional spacing or justification or whatever it's called isn't wide enough. (I forgot the term, but it describes how spacing varies for narrow characters like "i" or "l" compared to wide characters like "M" or "W".) As a result, the characters overlap, especially if you have a "1" next to a comma. It looks weird, as if they tried to overcompensate for the narrow characters and ended up squashing everything together.

Shaneus

Damnit, after hearing about that lighting I just want the new tables for the 360! But I promised myself that I was going to wait for PC before I gave FarSight any more money (actually bought the 360 one, but that was it) but it looks so damned tempting... if they get it right.

Edit: Is there a PS3 demo I can get? I wanna scope it out.

jvm

Gamasutra.
Damnit, after hearing about that lighting I just want the new tables for the 360! But I promised myself that I was going to wait for PC before I gave FarSight any more money (actually bought the 360 one, but that was it) but it looks so damned tempting... if they get it right.

Edit: Is there a PS3 demo I can get? I wanna scope it out.
There is a demo in the U.S. PS Store.

Shaneus

Sweet. All tables I guess?

Anyway, I'll give it a shot. After reading the PAFans forum, I'm once again reminded that paying only a few dollars for these tables is dirt cheap and makes buying it for each platform seem like a drop in the ocean. I may be guilted into buying it for PS3 yet!

Why am I not surprised at more bugs?

With the three month and counting wait for any patch or DLC for the Xbox version, I've basically just tried to forget about the game. If I want to play some video pinball, I'll boot up my Williams disc. In six months...a year, whenever they get their shit together, then I'll consider playing Pinball Arcade again.

Until then - Farsight overpromised and way, way underdelivered.

Agreed! :-( And TY Minsc for the update on the Trophy patch.

From the new email newsletter from Farsight:

"On 360, the first three add-on packs have been approved and await the approval of the title update which should be coming very soon."

As I don't own a smart phone, I am anxiously awaiting this.

Shaneus

Here's the deal: Not putting any more money into this at all until they make some kind of announcement on the PC release. Any news at all.

Way I see it, I could use the interest earned on that money to buy a new car or something.

jvm

Gamasutra.
Just played Bride of Pinbot while my kids were watching. I'd really only played around a little, and never had read up on the table. Certainly didn't read the instructions.

The kids and I were floored when
the robot became human
, and they couldn't stop watching after that. Great table, if only for that moment.

Shaneus

^^ Do love that table, but after having scored the billion-point shot, it kind of feels worthless to play it now for some reason. Glad I never bought it IRL, to be honest! Great to wow people with, but I don't think there'd be that much longevity.

Top Bottom