• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Pinball Arcade |OT| play them all from Soho to Brighton

jgkspsx

If you cradle the ball on the flipper tiger loop will eventually time out and it will return to harem. Just catch it when it pops out of the bazaar. Once you know this it's a piece of cake to get harem multiball. :)

I think this didn't happen in Pinball Hall of Fame.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Posts from the iOS thread:

Originally, I asked what tables were must haves for Pinball Arcade and Zen Pinball (sorry, maybe this one is "taboo" in this thread, but I really enjoy it). As I state below, I'll likely end up with all of them at some point, but I'm curious on what order I should buy them.

Medieval Madness is a must on PA.

Gave the trial a run last night on this table. I loved the commentary! This one will likely be bought.

Theatre of Magic
Circus Voltaire
Bride of Pinbot

All great on Pinball Arcade

I've tried Theater of Magic and Circus Voltaire. Both also very good. I haven't gotten around to trying Bride of Pinbot yet, though. I'll give that a run tonight before making my final decisions on what to buy first.

I'll likely end up with all the PA tables since it's SO well done. I am curious, though - Black Hole and Gorgar seem like MUCH older machines than some of the available tables. Do they lose their charm relatively quickly? I enjoyed Black Hole when I played it (maxed out the demo a few times), but it appears to be limited on longevity. The same can be said for Gorgar, no?

Shaneus

Bride of Pinbot doesn't have the lastability you think when first looking at it. Major table goals are only ever hit by the one ramp leading to BoP's head, culminating in a chance for 1 billion, basically negating any comparatively little points you score any other way.
I loved it until I reached all goals, then I dropped it completely... absolutely nothing drawing me back.

I think this didn't happen in Pinball Hall of Fame.
May not have. Aside from graphics (and the older tables like Black Hole and Gorgar) the PA and PHOF tables are different in that one is entirely scripted by the FarSight guys and the other is emulating the arcade ROMs. So, rules/modes may be missed completely (though I doubt that happened, it's an example of what COULD), bugs not exist that make the game more "real", that sort of thing.
The older tables are different in that they haven't been able to reliably emulate those ROMs yet. But apparently are working on it. Once that's done, they should play (at least) slightly differently, closer to the real table.

That worked for me, I wonder why it didn't update like every other game does :/

Probably for the same general reason why the X360 hasn't seen a single update since launch, is missing the lighting from the PS3 version, and hasn't had a single DLC pack made available: PA is a bit rushed and clearly a work-in-progress. Would love to play the snappier-feeling and -looking X360 version once again, but PS3 wins for now, even with the laggy flipper on Ripley's and the underwater speed of Cirqus. Also, BoP has an annoying camera script bug where the there's regularly a failure to hand off from the plunger cam to the normally-centered game camera on the playfield until you can force ball back into the plunger or initiate the Bride's face zoom and then revert to normal.

Because I'm terrible with money I ended up double dipping and buying all the DLC for the PS3 version.

Did the physics change between versions or in the latest patch on the PS3 version? I'm scoring a lot lower than normal- on the 360 I could consistently score 2 billion+ on Theater of Magic but I haven't even broken 600m yet on the PS3 version. It might just be that I'm not used to the controller yet, though.

Because I'm terrible with money I ended up double dipping and buying all the DLC for the PS3 version.

Did the physics change between versions or in the latest patch on the PS3 version? I'm scoring a lot lower than normal- on the 360 I could consistently score 2 billion+ on Theater of Magic but I haven't even broken 600m yet on the PS3 version. It might just be that I'm not used to the controller yet, though.

Yeah i have noticed that the PS3 version still has some delay compared to the 360 version.

BiggNife

Posts from the iOS thread:

Originally, I asked what tables were must haves for Pinball Arcade and Zen Pinball (sorry, maybe this one is "taboo" in this thread, but I really enjoy it). As I state below, I'll likely end up with all of them at some point, but I'm curious on what order I should buy them.

Gave the trial a run last night on this table. I loved the commentary! This one will likely be bought.

I've tried Theater of Magic and Circus Voltaire. Both also very good. I haven't gotten around to trying Bride of Pinbot yet, though. I'll give that a run tonight before making my final decisions on what to buy first.

I'll likely end up with all the PA tables since it's SO well done. I am curious, though - Black Hole and Gorgar seem like MUCH older machines than some of the available tables. Do they lose their charm relatively quickly? I enjoyed Black Hole when I played it (maxed out the demo a few times), but it appears to be limited on longevity. The same can be said for Gorgar, no?

I own:

-TotAN
-Theater of Magic
-Medieval Madness
-Bride of Pinbot

Thinking about buying Cirqus Voltaire too, I played it a lot when it was the free table of the month.

A lot of people love TotAN, I think it's a good table but it didn't grab me as much as the others (I mainly bought it because it was $1). Theatre of Magic and Medieval Madness are classics and I would consider them must-buys.

Bride of Pinbot is fun but it's not an easy table - it's one of those tables that doesn't let you shoot again if you lose a ball withing the first five seconds of a turn, and it is super easy for the ball to accidentally end up in the side gutters. Shaneus is right that it probably doesn't have as much replay value as some of the others because the only real goal is to make it to the Billion Point Club, but it's not easy to get there and it's incredibly satisfying to make it to The Metamorphosis and what comes after it. I still think it's worth getting.

Black Hole has a neat gimmick but I can see it wearing thin after a while because that's literally all there is to it. Gorgar is pretty simplistic and doesn't have that much depth.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
Didn't see it mentioned but Pinball Arcade is now up on the EU PSN store for 8quid. No other DLC as of yet though that I could see.

Odrion

Banned
I find Black Hole to be a grower. It's pretty tough and you gotta be wiser about where that ball is going to go.

I hear people talk about Grogar in a positive light, but I find it frustrating. So many times can your pinball fall right down the middle into the gutter after you launch it. You need to be good at tilting, which is something the iPad version sucks at.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
I really can't decide if I want to purchase this or not. I've played the Arabian Nights and Theatre of Magic mutliple times but can't stand Ripleys or Black Hole.

I wish there were more tables on the EU store to download. Actually, I wish you could just download the base for the game then mix and match any tables available that you preferred as DLC.

Minsc

Gold Member
Star Trek - The Next Generation video, I think they're working on it to get ready for TNG kickstarter sometime soon (queue the whining about fixing bugs, launching DLC, etc). It should have a slightly lower total than Twilight Zone, because that one had some extra funding.

Even if you've no interest of backing the project, the video's still a good watch at around 2:30 and beyond, to get a little history on the intricacies of the Star Trek table, and some of the unique things about it.

Shaneus

Bit of a delay on this month's tables? I'd have thought we'd seen them by now. At least on iOS.

PS. TNG all over my face. Hngh.

BTW He mentions looking for a game and finding the cheapest was $11k. Bets on it being TAF? I can't imagine it being anything else...

Luigiv

BTW He mentions looking for a game and finding the cheapest was $11k. Bets on it being TAF? I can't imagine it being anything else...

Hey look I found one for $7k (and I wasn't even specifically looking for TAF, just pinball tables in general). Must be a bargain!

Also I found this, which looks hella-fricken awesome.

Can't help but feel this has been a bit of a shambles so far. Farsight seems to have fallen on its face on pretty much every opportunity so far.

Hey look I found one for $7k (and I wasn't even specifically looking for TAF, just pinball tables in general). Must be a bargain!

Shipping from Australia to California is probably going to close that gap really fast, though.

Good news about TNG, though I still wonder how these co-funded tables are going to be officially released on X360 and PS3. Are these standalone tables or are they paired with another table, like they've been so far on consoles?

Didn't see it mentioned but Pinball Arcade is now up on the EU PSN store for 8quid. No other DLC as of yet though that I could see.

Yeah, we've been discussing it in other Vita related threads.

Personally, I was skeptical but I'm finding I love the Vita version, despite some basic niggles. You can play in portrait mode, but I love using the shoulder buttons for flippers so much that sacrificing them isn't worth the slightly better table view. And I have to say the camera works quite well anyway (using the second lowest angle). Love the way this works with multiball much more than the Zen Pinball solution I've been used to so far.

Star Trek - The Next Generation video, I think they're working on it to get ready for TNG kickstarter sometime soon (queue the whining about fixing bugs, launching DLC, etc). It should have a slightly lower total than Twilight Zone, because that one had some extra funding.

Even if you've no interest of backing the project, the video's still a good watch at around 2:30 and beyond, to get a little history on the intricacies of the Star Trek table, and some of the unique things about it.

I am all over this one! I really hope our 360 update is coming really soon!

jvm

Gamasutra.

Thanks, watching now.

I know I'm using a Linux laptop and all, but are the video and audio not synchronized in this video? :(

Yeah, at least on the 360, which hasn't seen a single one of the three pairs of tables thus far released.

Yeah, it's been total crap so far. I'll keep buying the tables on 360 for now but I'll most likely be switching to Wii-U or PC in the fall when those get released. It really seems like Microsoft makes the small developers jump through hoops to get any content released at all.

Yeah, it's been total crap so far. I'll keep buying the tables on 360 for now but I'll most likely be switching to Wii-U or PC in the fall when those get released. It really seems like Microsoft makes the small developers jump through hoops to get any content released at all.

i hope they haven't forgotten about Tate mode too. it's really annoying not to have that.

Word is it isn't just a Microsoft issue, however, but rather that Farsight is trying to deliver new tables as updates (with the tables unlockable from there) rather than the approach Zen took with delivering new tables as DLC. I really wish they'd get it sorted, though, I can't stand the thought of losing another promising platform (Game Room being the first).

so i've been watching videos of Stern's new X-Men table and i'm thinking they need to hurry up and add this while the licensing is less of a nightmare. it looks fantastic. almost makes me wish i had $7000 or whatever to spare.

Minsc

Gold Member
Bad news for 360 fans (are there any left at this point?) MS is throwing down the hammer again:

The Pinball Arcade said:
Unfortunately it's not going to be this week- we just got word the Microsoft rejected it AGAIN. This time it was for a single "bug"- if you download a new table to a memory card instead of your hard drive and then pull the card out of the 360 while attempting to load that table, the game becomes unresponsive (although you can still exit and restart- it hasn't crashed). This behavior was present in every other submission to them but they didn't flag it until now. We'll try to argue our way out of it, but unless we succeed we'll have to resubmit it once again. We're sorry for the continue delay- we're more frustrated about it than you are!

They seem to do much better on iOS/Mac/Android and PC (if it would ever come out), where the review periods aren't so lengthy. Sucks, but it's out of their hands I guess. Now to see if we get DLC pack #5 to be announced before any DLC hits the 360, the 'lead' platform ;)

Shaneus

Bad news for 360 fans (are there any left at this point?) MS is throwing down the hammer again:

They seem to do much better on iOS/Mac/Android and PC (if it would ever come out), where the review periods aren't so lengthy. Sucks, but it's out of their hands I guess. Now to see if we get DLC pack #5 to be announced before any DLC hits the 360, the 'lead' platform ;)
Fucking hell. Weren't they holding it off until a particular sale or something? Or am I thinking of something else?

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
so i've been watching videos of Stern's new X-Men table and i'm thinking they need to hurry up and add this while the licensing is less of a nightmare. it looks fantastic. almost makes me wish i had $7000 or whatever to spare.

I think Farsight has said that Stern's tables of the last few years use new electronics that they don't have emulation technology for yet. They haven't begun inquiring about the licensing for them. However, they've said they're 'working' on it, in regards to getting around to emulating the new Stern hardware.

The biggest problem Farsight appears to have right now is that they're over-extended. They're supporting this project on many platforms, each with different user interface standards and finicky bits. Even Zen, over on their side of the fence, has had to delay the rollout of Zen Pinball 2 on just ONE brand of platform (Sony) several times because of further testing require.

jvm

Gamasutra.

Thank heavens MS caught that one. I can't imagine the consumer backlash if they'd released the update in that condition.

rjc571

Banned
Does the demo let you play the DLC tables? I have the full version, but I'd like to try the DLC tables out before deciding which pack to buy.

That sounds really stupid! Anyone with half a brain should know that pulling out Memory while loading is a huge no no. So does this sound like this will be another month long wait?

Does the demo let you play the DLC tables? I have the full version, but I'd like to try the DLC tables out before deciding which pack to buy.

The full version lets you play the DLC tables too. You can play any table without buying it, but the game ends the moment you reach a certain score.

rjc571

Banned
The full version lets you play the DLC tables too. You can play any table without buying it, but the game ends the moment you reach a certain score.

When I select the DLC tables in the full version, it says "This table is part of a 2-pack collection and is not abailable as a trial version." and the only options it gives are Unlock Collection and Cancel.

Hmm, looks like I can't download the demo separately either, since it's the same as the full game. Anybody know how I can demo the DLC tables?

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Microsoft sure is picky about downloadable pinball games. Where's this level of scrutiny when it comes to things like New Vegas?

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important

WHAT THE HELL

PA has really managed to make my respect for Farsight, which I held in such high regards and always recommended to pinball fans, take a nosedive so deep that I'm starting to doubt it'll ever recover.
Can't beleive I'm saying this but given the current state I'm not going to back the ST:TNG kickstarter.
You guys really can't begin to understand how disappointed I am :-(
I mean, these games are killer apps to me, the equivalent of Joe Schmoe's Halos and whatnot.. it really stings!

WHAT THE HELL

PA has really managed to make my respect for Farsight, which I held in such high regards and always recommended to pinball fans, take a nosedive so deep that I'm starting to doubt it'll ever recover.
Can't beleive I'm saying this but given the current state I'm not going to back the ST:TNG kickstarter.
I mean, these games are killer apps to me, the equivalent of Joe Schmoe's Halos and whatnot.. it really stings!

Eh? You're blaming Farsight for Microsoft's stupidity and crazy submission processes?

Minsc

Gold Member
WHAT THE HELL

You're really going to hold them to ill will over not testing what happens if you remove a memory card while loading the game from it (and why pay all that money when MS didn't complain about that error before, it existed before and they submitted previously without being told about it...)? Heh. Well, you're welcome to move on to the other pinball sims that companies are producing I say! If only there were any! Really though, from reading this is just how things work with MS. Zen Studios had even more trouble than FarSight is having now, and they had prior experience with it, which FarSight lacked (lol). I think realistic expectations going forth are 2-3 DLC releases a year of 4-6 table packs on consoles, and monthly packs elsewhere.

When I select the DLC tables in the full version, it says "This table is part of a 2-pack collection and is not abailable as a trial version." and the only options it gives are Unlock Collection and Cancel.

Hmm, looks like I can't download the demo separately either, since it's the same as the full game. Anybody know how I can demo the DLC tables?

What version are you talking about? The iOS version doesn't do what you describe.

Brashnir

Eh? You're blaming Farsight for Microsoft's stupidity and crazy submission processes?

Farsight has consistently failed to deliver a product that works within the ground rules laid down my microsoft.

Plenty of other companies have been able to deliver DLC on 360. Farsight has so far proven to be complete incompetents.

Minsc

Gold Member
Farsight has consistently failed to deliver a product that works within the ground rules laid down my microsoft.

Plenty of other companies have been able to deliver DLC on 360. Farsight has so far proven to be complete incompetents.

What reason could MS have for failing to inform FarSight their product which they paid to be reviewed failed to properly function when a memory card was removed while being accessed the first time it was submitted?

Top Bottom