• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Player 1 Podcast Topic

To me it's unclear whether or not there are going to be many games that require the spec changes the "new" 3DS offers. We know of Xenoblade Chronicles, but will that come to the west? This could be a situation like the DSi where we get the new hardware but not the games that require it (there were only like 1-2 JPN-only games for that, I think). I'm fine w/that. Faster 3DS with better wifi, slightly improved battery, better 3D effect, built-in Amiibo sensor, camera nubbin, etc. - yes yes yes.

It's not 2010; we're getting Xenoblade 3DS.

There was only one retail DSi game released in Japan, and it came out in NA. There were also two other retail DSi games that only came out in NA. You're also ignoring the hundreds of DSiware games, some of which were actually decent.

There will be exclusive games, and there will be enhanced games. It's just like the DSi and the Game Boy Color before it.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
No, because in this case the new hardware is clearly just a minor iteration. The jump isn't in-line with what you'd expect out of the successor. If Nintendo was positioning this exact device as the next Nintendo handheld I'd be pretty disappointed at how similar it was to the 3DS.

The bottom line is I don't like minor spec changes in dedicated gaming consoles/handhelds. This isn't PC's we're talking about (or smartphones for that matter). If that's the way of the future I guess I'll have to get used to it, but right now I think it's stupid.

I only glanced at the (rumored?) specs, but isn't it a pretty substantial upgrade? Perhaps not generational, but still pretty big? It is able to run a game with the scale of Xenoblade, after all.

Didn't want to be the first to say it. :D

I enjoy sports games so it was good for me. Also sports games really only come our this month and next. It's not long.
I loved the sports talk. Has Mike ever been on Press Row? He would've been great on recent Madden panel. Loved when Greg, Pete and Rich talked racers on Press Row.

Also, is Mike the lone P1P guy who hasn't been on Back in My Play?

I loved the sports talk. Has Mike ever been on Press Row? He would've been great on recent Madden panel. Loved when Greg, Pete and Rich talked racers on Press Row.

Also, is Mike the lone P1P guy who hasn't been on Back in My Play?

He is slotted in for Castlevania IV. Going to happen soon.

Heh

Untitled.png

http://pastebin.com/zrcXiTdL

Episode 409: Scruples Be Damned

This week! Guest TJ Lauerman (@ThatSportsGamer) joins CJ and Greg to talk about video games. In this episode: CJ does a PAX debrief and talks Sunset Overdrive, Smash Bros. and Geometry Wars 3. Plus: Destiny out on Tuesday, Minecraft on next-gen, Xbox One Japan launch fun, Madden NFL 15, Pokémon Y(?), League of Legends, Mighty GunVolt, Dance Central, game collecting, game crossovers and much more!

Audio: http://traffic.libsyn.com/playerone/09_08_14-Episode409.mp3
Blog: http://www.playeronepodcast.com/409
iTunes: https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/player-one-podcast-video-games/id202883543?mt=2
YouTube: http://youtu.be/FoMikVWdqTk

Donate to Greg’s Extra Life drive - by clicking here.

Check out the Press Row Podcast’s Madden episode and TJ’s site thatsportsgamer.com, and follow TJ Lauerman on Twitter @ThatSportsGamer. Support the TSG Crew on Extra-Life.org

mik

mik is unbeatable
"Guys, I've figured out a way to block every single one of our readers on Twitter!"

"Dear readers, please don't use adblock!"

Ysiadmihi

Banned
I get all excited for Age of Kings talk, and seconds later I'm listening to them talk about Dance Central and the tenth Retron 5 discussion in the past three weeks.

When the Comedy Button Podcast talked about Gies flying first class to Pax all I could think of was this thread. Hate all you want, the man is living the cushy reviews editor life. I hope Phil Kollar wasn't stuck on a greyhound bus :(

As Destiny begins, it's practically aching from all the potential it carries. There's all the hallmarks of epic sci-fi, with the human race under fire and almost extinct from an alien threat, protected in turn by a mysterious alien savior, called the Traveler. As Destiny's music builds and swells and the tiny robotic Ghost voiced by Game of Thrones' Peter Dinklage raises you literally from the dead, there's a magic present that Bungie hasn't executed on so well since the original Halo's second mission.

frostyxc

To be fair, Gies know a lot about flying.

Arturo told the pilot how to fly the plane. Let's be serious, he knows better than any Naval aviator. And your mom. And Einstein. And Matthew Lesko. And navels. And Chris Lemmon. And Taco Bell. And Augusto Pinochet. And ethics. And Nate from accounting. And MyFreeCams. And dual monitors. And ingrown hairs. And inversion. And bacon. And piercings. And ands.

*sigh*

Wait, what thread is this? Don't hit me Mikkel!

Episode 410: Knee Deep in the Hoopla

This week! Mass-blocking readers, Microsoft buying Mojang, NES-styled 3DS XL, auctioning off trash, GTAV for PS4/XBO, Destiny, Smash Bros. 3DS demo, Mighty Gunvolt, Phantom Breaker: Battle Grounds, Minecraft PS4, Velocity 2X, FIFA 15 (demo), The Golf Club, Club Nintendo surveys, invincibility, embarrassing games, and iPhone/Apple stuff.

Audio: http://traffic.libsyn.com/playerone/09_15_14-Episode410.mp3
Blog: http://www.playeronepodcast.com/410
iTunes: https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/player-one-podcast-video-games/id202883543?mt=2
YouTube: http://youtu.be/xL5gNg4vyIQ

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I really missed Greg this week. I am glad you guys didn't get a special guest to fill in. I prefer the core group.

Phil should see a psychiatrist to help deal with his frequent break downs and compulsive digging.

And CJ, I remember when the donations button was a joke ("donuts"). What is that money even used for?

SuperPac

Phil should see a psychiatrist to help deal with his frequent break downs and compulsive digging.

And CJ, I remember when the donations button was a joke ("donuts"). What is that money even used for?

Covers the cost of hosting both the podcast itself and the website, including message board software, domain name registration/upkeep. We don't get that many donations, but it's usually been enough to just cover those costs per year. At some point either in this thread or on our message board I broke down exactly what those costs are one by one.

stewy

And I want to point out that CJ covered those costs out of pocket before we started accepting donations, because he's a fantastic human being.

Covers the cost of hosting both the podcast itself and the website, including message board software, domain name registration/upkeep. We don't get that many donations, but it's usually been enough to just cover those costs per year. At some point either in this thread or on our message board I broke down exactly what those costs are one by one.

Thanks for responding. That seems reasonable, especially when compared to the recent trend of podcasters starting patreons.

Thanks for responding. That seems reasonable, especially when compared to the recent trend of podcasters starting patreons.

Is it a bad thing to let the audience support a show they like? Some people hate PayPal so patreon is a good alternative. Also it allows a regular contribution that can be suspended anytime if you don't think the content is with supporting.

Is it a bad thing to let the audience support a show they like? Some people hate PayPal so patreon is a good alternative. Also it allows a regular contribution that can be suspended anytime if you don't think the content is with supporting.

Yeah, there's some hypocrisy/double standards thing going on here because it really doesn't bother me that you are seeking support through patreon for your niche, specialized show.

I do have a problem with super popular shows using patreon when all they do is bullshit into a mic for an hour every week. I'm sorry, but patronage isn't required for someone to do that. And if it somehow is, at the very least they don't need $6000 a month to do it.

The argument that "bullshitting into a mic" doesn't deserve to have a patreon because "isn't required for someone to do that" is skating into dicey territory. If someone has the audience to make a living off of supplying people with entertainment they should be able to do so. If you start making value judgments about what level of skill or requirements are necessary before they can receive financial compensation a lot of people in the world would be jobless or providing services for free.

I remember CJ detailing the cost of hosting the podcast and maintaining the website on an episode of the podcast; it wasn't cheap. It's also not my responsibility nor was it a choice that I made. But I enjoy the podcast and they've supplied me with (according to the folder on my computer) over 615 hours of entertainment and enjoyment*. During this time they've never sought adverting, shitted up the podcast with lengthy subscription drive segments each year begging for money and even when they brought about the donate button did so reluctantly. Since then I tried to donate each year to help (for some inexplicable reason) keep the podcast running and offset the cost for providing me with this weekly show. Patreon is just another method for doing so.

I understand that CJ made a decision to incur any associated costs when starting the podcast, much like anyone does when they do the same. That doesn't mean that they should not be allowed to either recoup some costs or, if the market/audience allowed, to make money off of it.

*the words entertainment and enjoyment used very liberally and, most likely, incorrectly.

If people want to charge for a service they are more than certainly entitled to do so. If they want to ask for donations the same coin applies. If people want to support what they enjoy, regardless of what other people don't see as value, I see no reason why it should be deemed as bad.

That is, if they are straight forward with their intent. A donation is a donation. There's no service to be provided in exchange for a donation. It is supposed to be a gesture of good will.

Now when a person ask for monetary help with an intent and that intent is not delivered, then I have an issue with that.

The argument that "bullshitting into a mic" doesn't deserve to have a patreon because "isn't required for someone to do that" is skating into dicey territory. If someone has the audience to make a living off of supplying people with entertainment they should be able to do so. If you start making value judgments about what level of skill or requirements are necessary before they can receive financial compensation a lot of people in the world would be jobless or providing services for free.

I think I'm just getting pissed off at edge cases regarding patreon because I agree with everything you're saying on a rational level. But I still have a visceral negative reaction to a certain patreon. It's actually a podcast I like, too, so it's pretty weird how cynical this makes me feel. It's like, oh, patronage. You know: Michelangelo, Brunelleschi, Masaccio, [Podcast]. We're a collective Medici, but we only fund nonsense.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
The thing with Podcasts is that only the really big ones get sponsors (the same damn sponsors, if you listen to enough of them). If you're big enough to where free hosting isn't enough, but too small to get paid to read Audible/Hulu/Warby Parker/Nature Box ads, then you're stuck losing money. I don't mind if people ask for money in those cases.

I do think the weird thing that happened during the early Kickstarters was people asking for money to get office space. Maybe people just don't want to have people over at their homes or whatever, I'm not sure, but I don't know how necessary it is to have a "podcast office" just to record a show for a couple of hours a week.

frostyxc

I don't have a problem with anyone trying to get some of that sweet, juicy Patreon money... but when I saw that TCB was doing one, I bristled. Not so much because they think they're worth being paid, but mostly because others would think that they deserve being paid for whatever that thing is that they mistake for comedy. After checking it out, however, it seems that 12-year-olds don't have a lot of disposable income, so I'm still bristling, but not as much.

Fun fact: I have bristles. Who knew?!?

And Player One Podcast has a podcast? I just thought they were some sort of avant garde web blog.

Massa

Btw, for the young people that listen to the show, here's what an iPhone 4 looks like:

cellphone-c1.jpg

I just loved the disappointment in CJ's voice, heh.

Whimsical Phil

Ninja School will help you
Btw, for the young people that listen to the show, here's what an iPhone 4 looks like:

cellphone-c1.jpg

I just loved the disappointment in CJ's voice, heh.

That's the 4s. The 4's screen isn't that big.

To be fair Phil. You should be able yo get an iphone 5c for free. I know I did recently from Best buy.

Good to know! Although I'll probably just break down and get a 6 at some point in the near-ish future.

Episode 411: Information

This week! Kevin Larrabee of Back In My Play joins us to talk about the video games we played and the news that dropped in the last week. That includes Hyrule Warriors reviews, Retron 5 lifting source code, the New Nintendo 3DS, Microsoft buying Mojang, Destiny, Forza Horizon 2 (demo), NHL 15, Castlevania Bloodlines, Murasaki Baby, Phantom Breaker, Rogue Legacy, Luftrausers, and more.

Audio: http://traffic.libsyn.com/playerone/09_22_14-Episode411.mp3
Blog: http://www.playeronepodcast.com/411
YouTube: http://youtu.be/Er6GdRcPIe8

Check out Back In My Play at backinmyplay.com, and follow Kevin Larrabee on Twitter @kevinlarrabee.

Top Bottom