• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Player 1 Podcast Topic

komplanen

One day I'm going to try my first Japanese visual novel -style game and I would have never thought it's because of a younger, more handsome, Greg from 30 years ago recommended it.

Alucrid

Banned
man, they're usually really on point (even got in the weekly polygon hate i needed) but i thought this TGS was pretty good this year

SuperPac

man, they're usually really on point (even got in the weekly polygon hate i needed) but i thought this TGS was pretty good this year

Yeah, I dunno. Maybe I didn't look hard enough, but I didn't see much news coming out of the show. The Oneechanbara booth and the new 3DS hands-ons were the two biggest things I saw - everything else was mostly old news, right? No? What did I miss?

Alucrid

Banned
Yeah, I dunno. Maybe I didn't look hard enough, but I didn't see much news coming out of the show. The Oneechanbara booth and the new 3DS hands-ons were the two biggest things I saw - everything else was mostly old news, right? No? What did I miss?

just off the top of my head, FF XV trailer (nomura being replaced, etc), Type 0 release with FF XV demo, great Bloodborne gameplay trailer, D4 being released, MGS V wolf companion. actually, in retrospect, i guess nothing new was announced and it was mostly just more information for things i'm excited about

LiK

Most of the SE news/trailers were new. Probably the biggest from the first day. Not sure how that's not considered major. :)

eznark

Banned
Most of the SE news/trailers were new. Probably the biggest from the first day. Not sure how that's not considered major. :)

Was there anything new announced, or just trailers for existing games?

I guess the Chrysler Sebring - Final Fantasy ad spot was new.

I appreciate so many reaching out on twitter about the episode. Good to know there are lots of Neo Geo Pocket Color, DanganRonpa, and Dreamcast 2K Sports fans!

And if you didn't see the stream:

Episode 412: Artificially Elongated

This week! Destiny, Hyrule Warriors, Velocity 2X, Bonza, Murasaki Baby, Disney’s Magical World, Theatrhythm: Curtain Call, Vita suggestions, PlayStation TV, always-online gaming, racing games, buying Alien Isolation, and so much more.

Audio: http://traffic.libsyn.com/playerone/09_29_14-Episode412.mp3
Blog: http://www.playeronepodcast.com/412
iTunes: https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/player-one-podcast-video-games/id202883543?mt=2
YouTube: http://youtu.be/e3dqHB9BkSc

Donate to Greg’s Extra Life drive - by clicking here.

SuperPac

Damn, no Phil for Hyrule Warriors talk? Disappointing :(

It will be interesting to see what stewy thinks of it - though with forza horizon 2 out this week he probably won't get to it. :) I expected to get about the same satisfaction out of this as One Piece Pirate Warriors. I was surprised to find I was enjoying this more and especially the Musou setup of every mission. I would imagine that it's Zelda-themed, one of my favorite series, is a big reason why. But Musou missions with changing conditions and changing goals and lots of stuff to juggle turned out to be right up my alley.

In an odd way, it reminded me of playing Dead Rising - though on a smaller scale and in chunks. But I found myself digging the strategy of deciding what to do immediately and what to wait on quite rewarding.

I'm still playing on Normal, too - haven't yet found myself so overwhelmed that I've had to redo a mission or knock the difficulty down. :)

codhand

Anyone else play Neverending Nightmares yet? Not a horror game guy personally, but it's only two hours and extremely gripping.

LiK

Also, don't shit on Deadly Premonition. One of the greatest games ever. The gameplay was bad but the story and revelations were amazing. The way they did the open world with how NPCs have an actual schedule and you can play some really hilarious side quests if you decide to hunt them down. It also features some of the funniest and weirdest moments in all of games. That's why we love it. If you didn't get to the open world part and get deeper into the story, then you guys just don't understand. Whatever, I loved it.

codhand

Also, don't shit on Deadly Premonition. One of the greatest games ever. The gameplay was bad but the story and revelations were amazing. The way they did the open world with how NPCs have an actual schedule and you can play some really hilarious side quests if you decide to hunt them down. It also features some of the funniest and weirdest moments in all of games. That's why we love it. If you didn't play to the open world part and get deeper into the story, then tou guys just don't understand.

I never finished it, but enjoyed what I played. I saw the PS version was gonna come out and figured I'd wait for that, but then that version was supposedly worse in some key aspects.

LiK

I never finished it, but enjoyed what I played. I saw the PS version was gonna come out and figured I'd wait for that, but then that version was supposedly worse in some key aspects.

You should get the PC version. It doesn't have the framerate issues from PS3 and Durante also released a fix to make the game look much better.

LiK

It will be interesting to see what stewy thinks of it - though with forza horizon 2 out this week he probably won't get to it. :) I expected to get about the same satisfaction out of this as One Piece Pirate Warriors. I was surprised to find I was enjoying this more and especially the Musou setup of every mission. I would imagine that it's Zelda-themed, one of my favorite series, is a big reason why. But Musou missions with changing conditions and changing goals and lots of stuff to juggle turned out to be right up my alley.

In an odd way, it reminded me of playing Dead Rising - though on a smaller scale and in chunks. But I found myself digging the strategy of deciding what to do immediately and what to wait on quite rewarding.

I'm still playing on Normal, too - haven't yet found myself so overwhelmed that I've had to redo a mission or knock the difficulty down. :)

Cool, I'm hoping you and Phil get into talking about it in detail a bit more next week. I'm not getting it atm and would like some more impressions.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I honestly don't even know if I've played any of his games. People have told me that I would likely enjoy D4, but I'm not spending $15 to find out.
Just return one of the thousands of Futureshop pre-order games you won't play and get D4 instead!

Also, I totally forgot about Unhung Hero. I just finished it and it was good as you guys said it was.

eznark

Banned
I read that "let's save D4" thread and it's about the most effective thread I've ever read at turning me off from buying a game. Why would I buy an episodic game that is clearly doomed to never be finished?

Once it comes to PC I'll check it out.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I read that "let's save D4" thread and it's about the most effective thread I've ever read at turning me off from buying a game. Why would I buy an episodic game that is clearly doomed to never be finished?

Once it comes to PC I'll check it out.
The question would be if that no one buys it on Xbone, why would they spend the money to port it to PC? I suppose maybe if MS shops it around to an interested porthouse like the guys doing the Agarest War games.

eznark

Banned
I would imagine the cost of putting a xbox one game on steam has to be essentially nil, or at least would require very few sales to break even. If not, no big loss I guess. Microsoft released Max on Steam for $15, which is one of the reasons I think it's probably fairly cost effective to port it over.

SickBoy

Regarding that crappy unlock via EXP thing they apparently did with Velocity 2X, the same mechanic was in Velocity Ultra (I know, I had to replay a few levels as I neared the end). Hopefully it's no more onerus in the new one than it was in the previous game.

And totally with Greg. I'd have bought Magical World knowing what little I did about it, due to likely family-wide interest... but that single save file is crap.

CO_Andy

The shitting on Swery's games was a bit ridiculous considering D4 was getting rave reviews across Metacritic which you guys didn't bother to mention.

I have a feeling CJ mistook Swery's games for Suda 51's (again); everybody knows Swery for Deadly Premonition and not much else.

demidar

The shitting on Swery's games was a bit ridiculous considering D4 was getting rave reviews across Metacritic which you guys didn't bother to mention.

I have a feeling CJ mistook Swery's games for Suda 51's (again); everybody knows Swery for Deadly Premonition and not much else.

Yeah that was pretty hard to listen to.

stewy

I'm not sure I'd call a 77 average "rave reviews."

And again, I don't have any experience with swery's games. But I'm certainly not spending $15 on the off chance that I'll like D4, especially when it seems fairly obvious the publisher gave up on the game before it was even released. That essentially proves that this is an episodic game that will never see a conclusion.

I was more miffed by CJ's comment about the Disney Infinity Marvel lineup being for prepubescent boys and no one calling him on it. Girls love Marvel superheroes.

SuperPac

You're right that I group them together (and I understand the popularity of Grasshopper/Suda's games even less) but I also played Spy Fiction on PS2 back in the day.

I was more miffed by CJ's comment about the Disney Infinity Marvel lineup being for prepubescent boys and no one calling him on it. Girls love Marvel superheroes.

That's true, but I look at the blue packaging for 2.0 and that the Marvel superheroes are the only thing available at launch and more general interest Disney characters are coming later as a big sign that they're now marketing it pretty squarely at boys. Perhaps I'm wrong. That's just the feeling I get from it. *shrug*

CO_Andy

I think Mike forgot he was considering picking a New 3DS just to play Xenoblade again, which he didn't finish if i remember correctly.

That seems like plenty to shit on him for.
Coming from a group who enjoys LBP, Dynasty Warriors, Too Human, and Night Trap... c'mon. Even DP has an element which makes it remarkable.

Episode 413: One Button to Kiss/Kill Them All

This week! Guest Rich Grisham joins us to talk Super Smash Bros. for 3DS, Hyrule Warriors, Forza Horizon 2, FIFA 15, Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor, Link Between Worlds, Murasaki Baby, Amiibo figures, best DLC, favorite licensed games, and so much more. Join us, won’t you?

Audio: http://traffic.libsyn.com/playerone/10_06_14-Episode413.mp3
Blog: http://www.playeronepodcast.com/413
iTunes: https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/player-one-podcast-video-games/id202883543?mt=2
YouTube: http://youtu.be/wXvmSE09Wts

Donate to Greg’s Extra Life drive - by clicking here.

LiK

Nice to hear Hyrule Warriors chat finally. Next week, Stewy's impressions!

Also, congrats to Phil's wife on her new gig.

Loud, surprising break music warning at 1:26:26.

images_maninchair.jpg

frostyxc

That's ok, I still love you guys even when you're blasting my eardrums!

In other news, senior writer at Polygon takes to Twitter to insult his site's readers.

Between Polygon and Ars Technica's contempt for their readers, it seems to be an endemic problem. It makes for entertaining reading on here and in the comments on Ars, though!

Does anyone have a crème brûlée in their pocket that I could... y'know, borrow? I'll explain later!

Maybe on the finniest episodes of the P1P I have ever listened to bwhahahahah sooooo goood.

But on a sadder note :(

Apparently sadly the clickbate stuff is working for polygon :(
In its first year (you know when they were good) I vissited them almost everyday.
But now I only see these crazy headline and I just NEVER visit them ever again.

ds9b9zf.png

BzctSxGCUAAKWlL.png:large

Top Bottom