• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Player 1 Podcast Topic

stewy

Can't believe it's been 500. Not that I've been there from the start. I dropped in after Dormer (and Dormerbot for that matter). Greg Ford was still a regular. But I don't think I was a weekly listener at that point so I can't really recall that line up exactly. In fact I think once I started listening on a regular basis, Ford was already gone. I kinda wish someone would make a detailed line up of P1P like they do for bands on wikipedia. Guests could be featured as "touring members" and need not be put on the actual timeline.

If someone wants to get a wikipedia page going that would be pretty amazing ;)

Trevelyon

congrats guys. been there for the near start, was sort of semi-emotional throughout. Big ups to Rich for doing such a great job hosting.

also, pitched on Stewart's patreon recently, to y'know keep in rolling the Mega-CD dough.

Congrats on the 500 eps guys. Been listening since round about the Dormerbot era and still one of my favourite podcasts ever.

Thanks to all the hosts, current & past for the entertainment over the last 10 (at least, right?) years.

stewy

congrats guys. been there for the near start, was sort of semi-emotional throughout. Big ups to Rich for doing such a great job hosting.

also, pitched on Stewart's patreon recently, to y'know keep in rolling the Mega-CD dough.

Thanks for the support!

mrkgoo

Happy 500 from a nobody.

Have listened to every episode and I agree with rich - best show on the Internet.

Thanks so much for being here all these years. A truly amazing feat.

Great job to Rich for being an excellent host and congrats to the team for 500 episodes! I don't think I'll ever forget my first episode, where Phil sang the Leonard Nimoy Hobbit song to completion. I hurt myself I was laughing so hard. I had just had surgery of some sort with stitches on my stomach too. Worth it!

SickBoy

Ethan was outright savaged in that intro. Turns out the Internet's Rich Grisham™ has a mean streak.

(Pretty funny and entertaining episode overall, guys. Congrats again.)

Congrats!

If you'd asked me when we started doing the podcast how many episodes we'd last, I'd have said 10, maybe 20 at the most. But 214...that's staggering to me. That people enjoy listening to us ramble is a good part of why we continue to do it (thanks everyone!), with the added benefit of being a great way to keep in touch with each other now that we've moved to different parts of the continent.

Now that we've got 4 years of podcasts (holy crap) behind us it's pretty funny to go back and listen to the early ones.. :)

And now you've reach 500. I look forward to quoting your first page post again in 5 years :)

So, anyone (Phil) playing Steamworld Heist? Just came to PS4 and probably other HD platforms. I picked it up the other night and I love it. I wonder why no one else (to my knowledge) has tried a 2D sideview turn based game before because it works really well, especially with the manual aiming mechanic. And it's got the classic Steamworld charm, great art and music.

Episode 501: Pre-3

This week! CJ and Phil are on assignment, so Sewart holds down the ford with Ethan and Kevin Larrabee! Topics include: E3, LEGO Dimensions, Xbox One S, Titanfall 2, Battlefield 1, Mass Effect Andromeda, Nintendo NX, Shenmue III, Dreamcast, Kirby, Ethan's VR experience, and much more!

Audio: http://traffic.libsyn.com/playerone/06_14_16-Episode501.mp3
Blog: http://www.playeronepodcast.com/501
iTunes: https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/player-one-podcast-video-games/id202883543?mt=2
Youtube: https://youtu.be/SQc2zZhHQoI
Patreon: http://www.patreon.com/p1podcast

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
While I agree with Kevin, that rant was really...something

While I agree with Kevin, that rant was really...something

All I can say is that it was the end of a terrible and heartbreaking day that had me in tears multiple times and reaching out to friends. Not going to apologize for having the events of the day weigh down on me. Seeing that bullshit from Polygon may have just been a way to vent some of my anger and sadness on something.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
All I can say is that it was the end of a terrible and heartbreaking day that had me in tears multiple times and reaching out to friends. Not going to apologize for having the events of the day weigh down on me. Seeing that bullshit from Polygon may have just been a way to vent some of my anger and sadness on something.

You do what you gotta do. These things shouldn't be happening.

edeo

Ethan seems like a nice guy, but permanent member?

I just get a very "gaming world echo chamber vibe" which isn't what I expect from P1P.

I can't help tuning out lately compared to previous discussions.

Teenage Riot

Neo Member
I always appreciate Kevin's earnestness on the show, and that extends to his thoughts on Polygon's response to the shootings as well. Very genuine, it was appreciated.

...It also extends to him getting fed up with Ethan's Metacritic predictions! ;)

Episode 502: The Triple E '16

This week! We talk about E3 for over 2 and a half hours! The press conferences and the announcements. We go hardware manufacturers first, then publishers, and then give out some grades at the end. Thanks to Kevin Larrabee of Back In My Play and the FitCast Network for coming on and talking E3 with us. Join us, won’t you?

Audio: http://traffic.libsyn.com/playerone/06_21_16-Episode502.mp3
Blog: http://www.playeronepodcast.com/502
iTunes: https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/player-one-podcast-video-games/id202883543?mt=2
Youtube: https://youtu.be/R4_fBas4LDc
Patreon: http://www.patreon.com/p1podcast

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Amazing episode - very well done. Even though i think they were a bit too hard on Zelda ...which also again confirms no matter what Nintendo does with that series, they will never be able to satisfy everyone heh.

I didnt quite get the "i need to play it for 100h" angle when Anouma even confirmed that you can skip the story and can go straight head for the Boss if you like. Same for the 100 Shrines you dont have to clear them all and no not everyone of them will have some super rewards waiting at the end...but does that really matter if clearing the dungeon was challenging and entertaining ? So yeah im with CJ on this one.

PS. Hope Phil will be back soon. Otherwise a great episode.
Ethan seems like a nice guy, but permanent member?

I just get a very "gaming world echo chamber vibe" which isn't what I expect from P1P.

I can't help tuning out lately compared to previous discussions.
Thats why Ethan is such a nice addition in my opinion.

If you haven't yet, give the giant bomb interview with Phil Spencer a look. Pretty much the most clearly defined version of Microsoft's gaming plans going forward. Also, it is a great interview.

Hopefully it's not premium content.

100% Great interview and example of why I like Phil so much.

how many times has Kevin bought an Xbox now? Is this like. The third time?

So wasteful

Ah, not really. I made sure they all went to good homes.

Quonny

Man, Kevin felt really negative and confrontational this episode. Sometimes Ethan makes some questionable arguments, but woof. Attack attack attack.

Man, Kevin felt really negative and confrontational this episode. Sometimes Ethan makes some questionable arguments, but woof. Attack attack attack.

Kevin was so sassy.

I am a smart ass. I can't help it. But some were corrections that I think Ethan mis heard/read, which I felt the need to correct for a fair and proper discussion to happen.

It was a lot of info to take in with all the press conferences and I happened to have the time to listen to them while working out on my porch all weekend. They were pretty fresh in my mind.

SuperPac

I still can't believe everyone else was so down on Zelda Breath of the Wild. 'Twas a shock. Easily my most anticipated game now, and I love that the game is breaking the Zelda formula in so many ways (while borrowing aspects from other games).

LiK

I am a smart ass. I can't help it. But some were corrections that I think Ethan mis heard/read, which I felt the need to correct for a fair and proper discussion to happen.

It was a lot of info to take in with all the press conferences and I happened to have the time to listen to them while working out on my porch all weekend. They were pretty fresh in my mind.

I enjoyed the animated exchange. :)

I still can't believe everyone else was so down on Zelda Breath of the Wild. 'Twas a shock. Easily my most anticipated game now, and I love that the game is breaking the Zelda formula in so many ways (while borrowing aspects from other games).

Looked good but I'm hoping to see more from it.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
At this point in the video game industry I'm surprised people give a shit if someone is "disc based" - you can get everything digital, a disc doesn't mean anything regarding a price.

SuperPac

At this point in the video game industry I'm surprised people give a shit if someone is "disc based" - you can get everything digital, a disc doesn't mean anything regarding a price.

Except the ability to sell the game back at a later time, have a collection on a shelf or be able to play the game on original hardware many years later when servers for that system's online service are closed.

I can understand wanting a physical copy. But if it's a question of not getting the game at all or having it digital-only, I'll take digital only.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Except the ability to sell the game back at a later time, have a collection on a shelf or be able to play the game on original hardware many years later when servers for that system's online service are closed.

I can understand wanting a physical copy. But if it's a question of not getting the game at all or having it digital-only, I'll take digital only.

Right, but I mean, why is price any kind of argument? I understand the difference, but that doesn't mean "Well it came out on a disc, so...$40? That's ridiculous!" I don't get that.

Haines

Banned

Which adds a lot to the podcast.

When he was talking about how scorpion only benefitting 4k I was cringing so hard for the next 10 or so minutes of failed discussion.

Podcasts need people on them to call out people on shit or ridiculous opinions.

You add so much to the podcast anytime you are on.

maxiell

I honestly had to turn this off at about the hour mark. The conversation was full of inaccuracies and was constantly getting derailed. Pretty much a mess to listen to.

Best wishes to Phil.

Which adds a lot to the podcast.

When he was talking about how scorpion only benefitting 4k I was cringing so hard for the next 10 or so minutes of failed discussion.

Podcasts need people on them to call out people on shit or ridiculous opinions.

You add so much to the podcast anytime you are on.

Thanks for understanding all my butting in. :)

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Giving a B rating to the Nintendo presentation, for starters :p

This wasnt 1 hour in though and CJ was at e3/able to play Zelda so i can see how he cant knock them down too much if the game delivered.

But as Kevin said - Nintendo had no conference so they probably shouldnt have rated them at all.

SickBoy

I will reserve comment on how much of a jerk Kevin is until I'm fully done the episode, but at the half-way mark, I'm not really seeing it.

The thing that has surprised me most so far is that everyone seemed pretty positive on Scalebound (and unexcited by Sea of Thieves). I preordered Scalebound on a Black Friday deal based on the media that was available at the time. I thought the new video looked really weak.

Sea of Thieves, on the other hand... I'm not sure it will actually work (I'm as suspicious of it as I am with any online-only game)... but it looked like a blast based on the video, and I've only read good things from people who played it at the show.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I'm also not enthused about the new Zelda. Zelda games feel like a chore to get through. Maybe that means they're not for me, but I don't think I'm alone in that sentiment of not wanting to start a new one, especially one that big. Zelda's world isn't one I particularly want to get lost in.

SuperPac

I will reserve comment on how much of a jerk Kevin is until I'm fully done the episode, but at the half-way mark, I'm not really seeing it.

The thing that has surprised me most so far is that everyone seemed pretty positive on Scalebound (and unexcited by Sea of Thieves). I preordered Scalebound on a Black Friday deal based on the media that was available at the time. I thought the new video looked really weak.

Sea of Thieves, on the other hand... I'm not sure it will actually work (I'm as suspicious of it as I am with any online-only game)... but it looked like a blast based on the video, and I've only read good things from people who played it at the show.

I am decidedly "meh" on Scalebound. None of the videos or media have grabbed me in any particular way. Sea of Thieves - Granted, I didn't play it, but it's only slightly higher than Scalebound on my interest list at the moment. Even in terms of Xbox One exclusives - Forza Horizon 3, Dead Rising 4 and Recore are at the top of that. I already don't play online very much (outside of Overwatch) and the gameplay in SoT does not strike me as terribly appealing at first glance. If there's a beta I'd love to give it a shot tho'.

Got to say you guys were way too negative on Zelda. Should have focused more on how this is basically a reimagining of The Legend of Zelda (NES). Which is totally amazing.

Top Bottom