• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Player 1 Podcast Topic

Massa

Can't wait to listen to this week's show.

Those Easy Allies guys really wreaked the negative to positive impressions bell curve haven't they?

Easy Allies and the Bombcast cancel each other out.

Seriously, last week's Bombcast was amazing. They were trying to come up with a top 10 for E3 and each game that someone brought up was met with such apathy that, in comparison, P1P's Zelda discussion seemed like a GOTY award ceremony.

I hope I am not getting caught up in the "hating on Zelda."

I chose to be cautiously optimistic these days and do my best to not get caught up in hyper-bowl :)

I loved the look

I did think it seemed they were just grabbing mechanics from other games

Repeatedly said that we still know close to nothing about the game. We saw a FIELD and some Snowy Mountains.

That is not enough for me to freak out and call it game of the show. With that being said I liked what I saw. There were many other games that provided a much more fleshed out look at the game, and some stood out to me.

JohnTonne

Great episode this week. Phil was spitting hilarious fire, had to stifle my laughter a few times at my desk at work. That's what I come to expect from you guys, just a fun episode all around.

SuperPac

I hope I am not getting caught up in the "hating on Zelda."

I chose to be cautiously optimistic these days and do my best to not get caught up in hyper-bowl :)

I loved the look

I did think it seemed they were just grabbing mechanics from other games

Repeatedly said that we still know close to nothing about the game. We saw a FIELD and some Snowy Mountains.

That is not enough for me to freak out and call it game of the show. With that being said I liked what I saw. There were many other games that provided a much more fleshed out look at the game, and some stood out to me.

You are such a negative nelly when it comes to Zelda. WHERE IS THE LOVE!?

But yeah we really just scratched the surface when it comes to seeing what this new Zelda game offers. We saw no dungeons. We saw no bosses. We saw very few enemies. No NPCs or towns. Just the very basic of gameplay mechanics. And it was enough to get me super excited about what else they've rethought, how they're approaching the rest of the game, and - because I know Nintendo has been doing a lot of post-launch content for their games - what lies ahead for the game after it's out.

I'm very optimistic about this game. Hyperbowl ON!

You are such a negative nelly when it comes to Zelda. WHERE IS THE LOVE!?

But yeah we really just scratched the surface when it comes to seeing what this new Zelda game offers. We saw no dungeons. We saw no bosses. We saw very few enemies. No NPCs or towns. Just the very basic of gameplay mechanics. And it was enough to get me super excited about what else they've rethought, how they're approaching the rest of the game, and - because I know Nintendo has been doing a lot of post-launch content for their games - what lies ahead for the game after it's out.

I'm very optimistic about this game. Hyperbowl ON!

I think you getting hands on makes a big difference. We will see in about 9 months I guess.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Great episode this week. Phil was spitting hilarious fire, had to stifle my laughter a few times at my desk at work. That's what I come to expect from you guys, just a fun episode all around.

The frustration and resignation in Gregs voice the whole episode coupled with Phil just going on and on....made me laugh a couple of times, this episode was fun hah. CJ again caught in the middle between being the responsible host and going cray with Phil ...lol.

@Zelda
Being cautious is fine and expected, the game wont be out at least another 9 months and Nintendo always keeps the best stuff under wraps for closer to the launch. There is a lot of stuff we havent seen yet - like Main dungeons, vehicles, Online/DLC/Miiverse, Amiibo functionality outside of the TP Wolf Link (unless i messed that)...

But at the same time they already showed a bunch of stuff people have been wanting from a mainline Zelda game for a while now like going back to the openness of the NES Original and being able to start the game without a 5hour tutorial. Just felt weird that the positive things its bringing to the table were dismissed in favor off a more negative outlook.

I for one looking forward to explore a big ass Open World Zelda title knowing what kind of stuff Nintendos designer can come up with when it comes to gameplay mechanics and world design. Getting a Mario Galaxy vibe from the title, feels like this will be the first real push forwards for the series since the n64 days.

Neifirst

But at the same time they already showed a bunch of stuff people have been wanting from a mainline Zelda game for a while now like going back to the openness of the NES Original and being able to start the game without a 5hour tutorial. Just felt weird that the positive things its bringing to the table were dismissed in favor off a more negative outlook.

This right here. The chief complaints about recent 3D Zeldas have been their drawn-out introductory sequences and overall bloat (triforce hunt in WW / tadtones in SS). They've already gone on record that they will not stuff this new game with tutorials AND they've stated that it's possible to short circuit side quests and other story bits and head straight to the final boss. What's to be cautious about, really?

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
This right here. The chief complaints about recent 3D Zeldas have been their drawn-out introductory sequences and overall bloat (triforce hunt in WW / tadtones in SS). They've already gone on record that they will not stuff this new game with tutorials AND they've stated that it's possible to short circuit side quests and other story bits and head straight to the final boss. What's to be cautious about, really?

I'll wait until a human being not paid by Nintendo plays it and agrees. God, that introductory TRASH is the hardest hill to climb. Hate it so much.

I'll wait until a human being not paid by Nintendo plays it and agrees. God, that introductory TRASH is the hardest hill to climb. Hate it so much.

They literally showed the intro to the game. The Great Plateau is pretty blatantly designed to be the Tutorial Area despite a lot of people getting a game over somehow. You wake up, go get your tools for the rest of the game and feel out the basic mechanics with mostly weaker enemies (and some strong ones and Flaming clubs are very dangerous for an early Zelda enemy) placed into various controlled environmental situations to teach the basic mechanics. The shrines teach you how to use the Runes. Some overworld puzzles teach about weapons and tools with various properties that impact the environment. The Snowy area and Mount Hylia teach you environmental conditions and the spicy peppers outside the area are there to teach you about methods to circumvent that.

I really doubt they're hiding anything from that intro.

Massa

I didn't find anything outrageous in their Zelda discussions, CJ is super excited for it and the others are cautiously optimistic.

What I don't really get is why Kevin is so down on Sony and the PS4. :eek:

I didn't find anything outrageous in their Zelda discussions, CJ is super excited for it and the others are cautiously optimistic.

What I don't really get is why Kevin is so down on Sony and the PS4. :eek:

It is because I was so high on Sony and PS4 at launch and I am worried they are going to be repeating the mistakes of their past, or really any console manufacturer that gets a huge lead. The drive and hunger, needing to prove something and do the right thing for consumers.

Again the best way I can describe it is how Microsoft was at 360 launch, doing a lot of the right things and delivering (aside from the RROD). Then towards the end they lost their focus with Kinect and the casual stuff. Sony was down at the end of the generation and came out swinging and doing all of the right things with PS4. The console design, the power of the hardware, used games, PS+ games (which is much less of a service now), etc.

Microsoft is now down again and working it's ass off to get back in the race, doing the right things in my eye. While Sony is starting to forget what got them to where they are in the first place this gen.

With all of that being said I will own a PS4 as soon as we know what the NEO stuff is/cost. There are a ton of games on the platform I want to play like Uncharted 4, Persona 5, Shenmue 3, and it still have the best version of multiplatform games compared to XBONE.

Hope that helps makes sense of my thought process.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
They literally showed the intro to the game. The Great Plateau is pretty blatantly designed to be the Tutorial Area despite a lot of people getting a game over somehow. You wake up, go get your tools for the rest of the game and feel out the basic mechanics with mostly weaker enemies (and some strong ones and Flaming clubs are very dangerous for an early Zelda enemy) placed into various controlled environmental situations to teach the basic mechanics. The shrines teach you how to use the Runes. Some overworld puzzles teach about weapons and tools with various properties that impact the environment. The Snowy area and Mount Hylia teach you environmental conditions and the spicy peppers outside the area are there to teach you about methods to circumvent that.

I really doubt they're hiding anything from that intro.

That all sounds nice, but do we know this isn't a gated area? That's my concern.

Massa

It is because I was so high on Sony and PS4 at launch and I am worried they are going to be repeating the mistakes of their past, or really any console manufacturer that gets a huge lead. The drive and hunger, needing to prove something and do the right thing for consumers.

Again the best way I can describe it is how Microsoft was at 360 launch, doing a lot of the right things and delivering (aside from the RROD). Then towards the end they lost their focus with Kinect and the casual stuff. Sony was down at the end of the generation and came out swinging and doing all of the right things with PS4. The console design, the power of the hardware, used games, PS+ games (which is much less of a service now), etc.

Microsoft is now down again and working it's ass off to get back in the race, doing the right things in my eye. While Sony is starting to forget what got them to where they are in the first place this gen.

With all of that being said I will own a PS4 as soon as we know what the NEO stuff is/cost. There are a ton of games on the platform I want to play like Uncharted 4, Persona 5, Shenmue 3, and it still have the best version of multiplatform games compared to XBONE.

Hope that helps makes sense of my thought process.

Thanks for the explanation.

I'm not quite sure why you think Sony is starting to forget what got them here though. I think it's the complete opposite. I thought they'd stand a bit still after the success of the PS4 but they seem to actually be taking big risks with PS4 Neo, VR and most of their first party line-up. Neo shows they want to retain their hold of the core market. PSVR wouldn't exist if not for indie developers. Their first party line-up is fresh and not more of the same. I think it's quite exciting to see where they're headed, and they had CJ at their booth so they automatically won E3.

And while I see the parallels you're drawing of a company going from their high to a low (360>One, PS2>PS3, and also Wii>WiiU), I do think the shift in Microsoft to go completely after the casual market was unprecedented. The Wii U failed but it was still a system with family friendly games focused on play; the PS3 was a failure but it was still Sony trying to build the most powerful gaming system they could to push the kind of games that do well on their systems. The Xbox One and later years of the 360 was about Microsoft moving away from their core audience and doing something completely different. So while I think it's nice to see their return, I'm just not all that impressed with it. Gears 4 being as safe as it looks, after that studio was pulled from an interesting new IP to work on it, is kind of a bummer. I was a bit tired of their output being Gears/Halo/Forza 4-5 years ago to be honest, so while it's nice to see them trying to win this audience again, I'm not blown away by what they have on the pipeline right now, and the Scorpio announcement killed any chance of me finally buying one anytime soon.

Overall I do think it's a great time for video games. I loved what the three hardware companies did at E3, and I'm also pretty happy with the state of EA, Ubisoft and even Activision, not to mention the absurd quality that games from independent developers have reached now.

Edit: Oh, I also thought you'd appreciate the God of War orchestra more. Even if that's not your favorite style of video game music, how awesome is it to unveil a game by having that big a focus on its music! Followed up with a live demo. Come on man!

Thanks for the explanation.

I'm not quite sure why you think Sony is starting to forget what got them here though. I think it's the complete opposite. I thought they'd stand a bit still after the success of the PS4 but they seem to actually be taking big risks with PS4 Neo, VR and most of their first party line-up. Neo shows they want to retain their hold of the core market. PSVR wouldn't exist if not for indie developers. Their first party line-up is fresh and not more of the same. I think it's quite exciting to see where they're headed, and they had CJ at their booth so they automatically won E3.

And while I see the parallels you're drawing of a company going from their high to a low (360>One, PS2>PS3, and also Wii>WiiU), I do think the shift in Microsoft to go completely after the casual market was unprecedented. The Wii U failed but it was still a system with family friendly games focused on play; the PS3 was a failure but it was still Sony trying to build the most powerful gaming system they could to push the kind of games that do well on their systems. The Xbox One and later years of the 360 was about Microsoft moving away from their core audience and doing something completely different. So while I think it's nice to see their return, I'm just not all that impressed with it. Gears 4 being as safe as it looks, after that studio was pulled from an interesting new IP to work on it, is kind of a bummer. I was a bit tired of their output being Gears/Halo/Forza 4-5 years ago to be honest, so while it's nice to see them trying to win this audience again, I'm not blown away by what they have on the pipeline right now, and the Scorpio announcement killed any chance of me finally buying one anytime soon.

Overall I do think it's a great time for video games. I loved what the three hardware companies did at E3, and I'm also pretty happy with the state of EA, Ubisoft and even Activision, not to mention the absurd quality that games from independent developers have reached now.

Edit: Oh, I also thought you'd appreciate the God of War orchestra more. Even if that's not your favorite style of video game music, how awesome is it to unveil a game by having that big a focus on its music! Followed up with a live demo. Come on man!

Great points. No doubt that I am irrational in my thinking sometimes :) Like how I am turned off by any hunting or animal cruelty in games at all. They are virtual, it doesn't makes sense, but still bugs me.

Really did not dig the GoW demo much at all. And I really liked GoW 1/2/3. It seemed less new, but instead just new to the GoW series.

At least we can all agree the Dreamcast is awesome, right?

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
You're not alone. I don't kill animals in games unless I gotta, or else I feel really shitty, which is weird. I murder people without reservation.

God of War sucks, and this Dad of War shit, and most Dad games lately, have really been turning me off because its always so transparent how they're manipulating the player. Takes me completely out of it.

Massa

I actually skipped on buying Far Cry Primal in a sale last week because the animal hunting in FC4 left a really bad taste for me. But it only really bothers me if it's done for sport like in those games, the tone of the game makes the whole difference.

And I never really played a Dreamcast, hah. I need to catch up on Back in My Play and you may just convince me to spend some money on it, as you tend to do.

That all sounds nice, but do we know this isn't a gated area? That's my concern.

What do you mean by gated? Like can you just ignore it? No they pretty much confirmed you can't because you need the paraglider to get off the plateau and you need to get the rune abilities from the Shrines on the Great Plateau to get the paraglider. Its best not to think of it in terms of "Gating" because gating content is usually for balancing purposes and the tutorial aspects here are minimal, giving only controls and having you figure the rest out on your own. You're playing the game you payed money for in the first 5 minutes and after unlocking the Sheikah Towers in the First 15 minutes you're already adventuring with an established goal (Find and complete all the Shrines on the Great Plateau).

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
What do you mean by gated? Like can you just ignore it? No they pretty much confirmed you can't because you need the paraglider to get off the plateau and you need to get the rune abilities from the Shrines on the Great Plateau to get the paraglider. Its best not to think of it in terms of "Gating" because gating content is usually for balancing purposes and the tutorial aspects here are minimal, giving only controls and having you figure the rest out on your own. You're playing the game you payed money for in the first 5 minutes and after unlocking the Sheikah Towers in the First 15 minutes you're already adventuring with an established goal (Find and complete all the Shrines on the Great Plateau).

Ehrg, that's what I was worried about. Bleh.

Ehrg, that's what I was worried about. Bleh.

Mind you, you can still get into vastly more dangerous situations in the Early game than pretty much any other 3D Zelda. It's probably a personal Philosophy you have though. Absolute Freedom is tantalizing, but I think its a trick. Having no guidance or goal or no way for the designer to know what's in your toolset at any given moment makes balancing effectively impossible. And you engage in the core gameplay with little hassle. I fail to see your worries as damaging as you have your regular moveset from the get go.

SickBoy

I think the complementary example to what Kevin is saying is that Sony really did a great job in the latter part of the PS3's life, after botching it early.

I know most gamers are really down on the Xbox, but I think it's really good value these days. I didn't love their E3 this year, but last year I thought they did a great job.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I think the complementary example to what Kevin is saying is that Sony really did a great job in the latter part of the PS3's life, after botching it early.

I know most gamers are really down on the Xbox, but I think it's really good value these days. I didn't love their E3 this year, but last year I thought they did a great job.

Can't lose really. Lots of great stuff to play no matter what direction you went.

Can't lose really. Lots of great stuff to play no matter what direction you went.

I am so happy with my XBONE purchase. Awesome console for $229. Played through Doom and started Halo 5 and Inside.

Plenty of great games for cheap on there now too with some big releases this fall. Same for PS4. Hell of a year for games.

I just don't understand how you get that impression from Sony's showing at E3. We're in the thick of the generation and Sony is doing exactly what we'd expect them to do: delivering tons of games.

Meanwhile MS is incredibly frustrated by their failure. I'd agree they're working overtime to change their fortunes right now, but unlike the way Sony focused on delivering great first party software and services to reverse course last gen, Microsoft's approach is basically to tear down the business model. They've realized they can't control generational shifts so they are trying to end them completely.

Pivoting towards PC is probably the right move, but it leaves Xbox One in an awkward place. They've drawn down internal game development and I can't imagine in good conscious recommending anyone buy an Xbox One. The PS4 software library is significantly larger, Sony's commitment to the platform couldn't be stronger, and if you can't live without certain MS exclusives your money will be far better spent on a PC or PC upgrade that gains you access to Steam, GOG, Origin, Battle.net and Humble in addition to the Windows 10 store.

Everything Microsoft announced at E3 seems like confused self-sabotage. Here's a new slim console, but also an upgraded version that's coming out in 18 months so don't buy that. Here's all of our games meant to move console units, but they're also on PC so don't buy a console. Here's all our games on PC, but they're on this store no one wants to use so don't buy anything, I guess.

Maybe that's being hungry, but it sure seems more like desperatly throwing things at the wall and hoping something sticks.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
I just don't understand how you get that impression from Sony's showing at E3. We're in the thick of the generation and Sony is doing exactly what we'd expect them to do: delivering tons of games.

Meanwhile MS is incredibly frustrated by their failure. I'd agree they're working overtime to change their fortunes right now, but unlike the way Sony focused on delivering great first party software and services to reverse course last gen, Microsoft's approach is basically to tear down the business model. They've realized they can't control generational shifts so they are trying to end them completely.

Pivoting towards PC is probably the right move, but it leaves Xbox One in an awkward place. They've drawn down internal game development and I can't imagine in good conscious recommending anyone buy an Xbox One. The PS4 software library is significantly larger, Sony's commitment to the platform couldn't be stronger, and if you can't live without certain MS exclusives your money will be far better spent on a PC or PC upgrade that gains you access to Steam, GOG, Origin, Battle.net and Humble in addition to the Windows 10 store.

I have to agree - Sony is delivering everything you expect from the all the big games from eastern and western publishers, indie and they have a bunch of promising first party games in the Pipeline. Really cant follow that logic...unless there is something obvious im missing.

They have the games area on lock while providing solutions the market is asking for like VR or a more powerful system for hardcore users.

Everything Microsoft announced at E3 seems like confused self-sabotage. Here's a new slim console, but also an upgraded version that's coming out in 18 months so don't buy that. Here's all of our games meant to move console units, but they're also on PC so don't buy a console. Here's all our games on PC, but they're on this store no one wants to use so don't buy anything, I guess.

Maybe that's being hungry, but it sure seems more like desperatly throwing things at the wall and hoping something sticks.

I have to agree - Sony is delivering everything you expect from the all the big games from eastern and western publishers, indie and they have a bunch of promising first party games in the Pipeline. Really cant follow that logic...unless there is something obvious im missing.

They have the games area on lock while providing solutions the market is asking for like VR or a more powerful system for hardcore users.

All great points. It is more of a feeling/worry from things I am seeing. I could be completely wrong. And I have stated a few times on the show and I think on here that I am not sold on PSVR at launch with all of the "VR Experiences." That might all change when I experience it and/or that killer app/game is there.

Different strategies effect consumers differently. I just like Microsoft's message more than PS. Again, with that being said. I am buying a PS4 in the next 2-3 months. Just waiting for Neo news first.

Also I know from building a few PCs in the last 3-4 years. I like consoles more than the PC experience, so "putting money that would go to an ONE to a better video card" does not apply to me.

Thanks for the discussion and keeping it polite and respectful, I know these topics can get heated. Another reason the P1P community it super cool.

So, Greg, I picked up The Witcher 2 after all of the discussion over the years on how great the series is.

Pretty disappointed in this. I know the focus is on the story but the gameplay is extremely clunky. Also the lack of frequent autosaving is killer. Glad I only dropped $3 on this, won't be going for TW3 I think.

Massa

So, Greg, I picked up The Witcher 2 after all of the discussion over the years on how great the series is.

Pretty disappointed in this. I know the focus is on the story but the gameplay is extremely clunky. Also the lack of frequent autosaving is killer. Glad I only dropped $3 on this, won't be going for TW3 I think.

TW3 is significantly different in those aspects.

TriAceJP

I am so happy with my XBONE purchase. Awesome console for $229. Played through Doom and started Halo 5 and Inside.

Plenty of great games for cheap on there now too with some big releases this fall. Same for PS4. Hell of a year for games.

Didn't you just build a nice computer? Why would you get Doom for a console?

stewy

Sorry to hear that. I can't speak to how good or bad Witcher 2 is. The third game is really my first experience with the series.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
how many weeks in a row has lego been brought up? crazy it's still being talked about and they're still doing, I guess something with them. I tend to ffwd those segments, though, as I hate lego games and legos themselves.

Just started 505, it's been grand fun as always. Well done guys.

Not sure about the legs of Pokemon Go, but I figure this thing is much bigger than Miitomo. Folks were bagging on Miitomo from day one and that seemed to be only Nintendo fan/gamer variety. On the other hand, seemingly everyone at my work is talking about Pokemon Go and I'm seeing it mentioned on social media in the most unexpected places ... Unprecedented stuff all around for me, for any game, mobile or not. May be a short lived phenomenon but is certainly all the rage now. Very curious what the future holds for it and the updates (and clones!).

I know Pokemon Go is getting plenty of play on GAF too but figured I would chime in here since I was interested in Phil and CJ's take on it, considering their long-time devotion to the "mainline" series.

SuperPac

Yeah I think my prediction may be wrong.

Everyone I work with is CrAzY over it - gamers and non. They talked about it on NPR this morning. It's all over the tech press. It's gone full Flappy Bird, and I think if Niantic has updates and new features ready to go at a regular cadence then they'll avoid the Miitomo slump. Can't wait for the copycats to show up and fail to do anything because they don't have the Pokémon brand.

Massa

I feel like you only predicted that about the game so you could predict what the naysayers would write about Nintendo. :p
There's no point in preempting the bad articles people will write on the internet, it's like predicting the earth will keep spinning.

I talk about something OTHER than Genesis games on my YouTube channel now! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NKPXN32I6lQ

Wow, fantastic video! I was so happy watching that. The MSX was my first "gaming" system, and I remember playing some Metal Gear on it, but the game that really stuck with me from that time was Konami's Tennis.

More of this stuff, please. :)

Yeah I think my prediction may be wrong.

Everyone I work with is CrAzY over it - gamers and non. They talked about it on NPR this morning. It's all over the tech press. It's gone full Flappy Bird, and I think if Niantic has updates and new features ready to go at a regular cadence then they'll avoid the Miitomo slump. Can't wait for the copycats to show up and fail to do anything because they don't have the Pokémon brand.
Good point, the appeal of the actual Pokemon is hard to duplicate. I can only wonder if we will be searching for Disney/Marvel characters in the near future. Maybe build our own Avengers team or Toy Story toybox.

Whimsical Phil

Ninja School will help you
Oh wow I forgot Phil haha. Oh man that's what 2 years of not listening does to a dumb fuck like me.

KBMnra0.gif

Top Bottom