• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Player 1 Podcast Topic

Did Reggie really say they have big plans for the 3DS? I was wondering why it didn't feel like the switch was the 3DS's successor in that presentation.

I'm gonna go ahead and say Ethan will surprise you come Sunday night :)

I didn't think Ethan could surprise me but that Japanese launch line got me

Re: the "core gamer" discussion: I'm a "core gamer" and I own neither a PS4 or XBO. So I think that the definition of core gamers owning both consoles at this point is misguided.

And yeah, I'm not picking up the console at that price. I'll pick it up after Odyssey is inevitably delayed and the price is dropped in Q1-Q2 2018. Sweet spot was absolutely $250 and Nintendo is crazy to go above that.

komplanen

That feel when one of the biggest retailers in Finland just announced the Switch is going to cost 379,90€.

For reference they are currently selling a PS4 Slim 500GB for 329€ or the 1Tb version for 359€.

mrkgoo

I'm REALLY behind on my podcasts, about 5-6 episodes for P1P (sorry!).

WAs listening to the one with the P1P rendition of "Last Christmas". I nearly choked when I was playing it. Hilarious.

I had it on speaker, and my wife says, "OMG, what is THAT?! Do you HAVE to play that?"

That made it even funnier.

mik

mik is unbeatable
"This hardware, I'm looking forward to more than any other piece of electronics ever released. Honestly. I look at this as a potential quality of life change. The ability to be untethered..."

You already sound a little untethered. :p

Re: the "core gamer" discussion: I'm a "core gamer" and I own neither a PS4 or XBO. So I think that the definition of core gamers owning both consoles at this point is misguided.

I agree. I can easily afford it, but it's impossible to justify buying an Xbox One since it's almost exactly the same as the PS4 I already own, except worse in pretty much every conceivable way. Microsoft being a shitty first party publisher doesn't help, either.

SickBoy

I'm REALLY behind on my podcasts, about 5-6 episodes for P1P (sorry!).

WAs listening to the one with the P1P rendition of "Last Christmas". I nearly choked when I was playing it. Hilarious.

I had it on speaker, and my wife says, "OMG, what is THAT?! Do you HAVE to play that?"

That made it even funnier.

George Michael died less than a week after the P1P rendition of Last Christmas. Now I'm not saying they killed him...

</Philstyletoosoonjoke>

SuperPac

"This hardware, I'm looking forward to more than any other piece of electronics ever released. Honestly. I look at this as a potential quality of life change. The ability to be untethered..."

I understand his enthusiasm for being able to play whenever, wherever and however you want. That part of the hardware is exciting (even though that bit has kinda been around since the Wii U). Many of the hands-on reports have been extremely positive about the hardware.

Haines

Banned
Listining to ethan go on about a handheld system like that, when he has the vive etc at his disposal ( which i think he also went on about, i forget)....

Idk. Is he saying that a handheld nintendo which we have had many of is really that exciting compared to the vr at his disposal?

I guess it depends on how much you like Nintendo games, and whether you think that the number of Nintendo's games on the Switch is going to outnumber the ones they release on Vive/Occulus.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Listining to ethan go on about a handheld system like that, when he has the vive etc at his disposal ( which i think he also went on about, i forget)....

Idk. Is he saying that a handheld nintendo which we have had many of is really that exciting compared to the vr at his disposal?

What has been possible on handhelds has increased quite a bit in the last years - know many people who didnt care too much about gameboy and co. but are hyped about Switch. Being able to play games like BotW, MK8Deluxe and Splatoon 2 on the go is quite the big step up from the 3DS. The jump for previously handheld only IPs like Pokemon or Fire Emblem will likely be even bigger. The screen quality and resolution alone will be a mayor jump. His GotY was Fire Emblem on 3DS...of course he will be excited about playing some of his favorites on such a device.

Its not much different than people being excited for PS4/XBO 3 years ago...for the most part they deliver what we had before in better quality and graphics - nothing groundbreaking. Nobody was questioned about being excited for these systems.

mozfan12

Banned
I have a really bad gut feeling that we will have to repurchase VC games even if we have bought them in the past. We heard almost nothing about VC other than the "free game" that only lasts a month. Would you guys be pretty peeved if you had to plunk down 5-10 bucks for VC with the excuse that they are now online? I really want to be wrong but after the presentation, I'm just expecting the worst on every front. I mean, it's pretty ridiculous to have a 32gb memory on a console in this day and age, but Ninty of course has done it.

I mean, we still don't know so much, ie, virtual console, UI, apps, account system, etc and we are less than a month and half away.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace

I dont understand this comparison at all. How many Nintendo-games can you play on a Vive? Does the Vive do what the Switch does?

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
I have a really bad gut feeling that we will have to repurchase VC games even if we have bought them in the past. We heard almost nothing about VC other than the "free game" that only lasts a month. Would you guys be pretty peeved if you had to plunk down 5-10 bucks for VC with the excuse that they are now online? I really want to be wrong but after the presentation, I'm just expecting the worst on every front. I mean, it's pretty ridiculous to have a 32gb memory on a console in this day and age, but Ninty of course has done it.

I mean, we still don't know so much, ie, virtual console, UI, apps, account system, etc and we are less than a month and half away.

I actually still havent bought a single Virtual console-game (except the basically free early Wii U-adapters got) for this reason, and Im not starting before this is sorted out. I am sure they will have to be bought again though, Sony did this, and didnt get much shit for it, so Nintendo will probably do exactly the same.

stewy

What has been possible on handhelds has increased quite a bit in the last years - know many people who didnt care too much about gameboy and co. but are hyped about Switch. Being able to play games like BotW, MK8Deluxe and Splatoon 2 on the go is quite the big step up from the 3DS. The jump for previously handheld only IPs like Pokemon or Fire Emblem will likely be even bigger. The screen quality and resolution alone will be a mayor jump. His GotY was Fire Emblem on 3DS...of course he will be excited about playing some of his favorites on such a device.

Its not much different than people being excited for PS4/XBO 3 years ago...for the most part they deliver what we had before in better quality and graphics - nothing groundbreaking. Nobody was questioned about being excited for these systems.

We're all assuming that the Switch signals traditionally handheld-only franchises coming to a home console, but don't forget Nintendo apparently has plans to support the 3DS for quite a while yet.

cw_sasuke

We're all assuming that the Switch signals traditionally handheld-only franchises coming to a home console, but don't forget Nintendo apparently has plans to support the 3DS for quite a while yet.

True, it would be crazy to ignore that large installed base anytime soon. But they have most "boxes" already checked on 3DS already, so i dont think we will see mayor games hit the platform if the same titles could be put on Switch instead.

"Supporting" the system in Nintendo sense means keep selling it and its evergreen (Smash, Mario Kart, ALBW etc.) to retailers, still marketing the system, having new/attractive bundles for the Holidays. There also will be some software surprises for 3DS owners, but i doubt you will see or new Animal Crossing or Fire Emblem on they system.

Then again its tough to read Nintendo - things will be clearer at e3 when they usually unveil most of their fall/Holiday plans. How fast they drop the 3DS will also depend on the success of the Switch in the launch months. Love my 3DS - but between mobile and Switch i wouldn't expect too much love beyond 2018.

Harlock

I understand Greg. Everything on Nintendo is expensive in comparison with Sony and MS. And when you live outside of USA, the bigger price has an impact much more hard.

Nintendo used to be the cheap option. And now is Sony. Things go around.

cw_sasuke

When was a new Nintendo console cheaper at launch than the 3 year old competition ? ;-)

I get what you are saying, no one is denying that the system is expensive. But Nintendo hasnt been operating like that for years now...being the cheapest option didnt help the Gamecube and i dont think its the way to go in a mobile/f2p dominated world either - these devices will always be cheaper, Gaming on those system will always be cheaper since everyone owns a Tablet and/or Smartphone already and they are f2p.

Those Canadian prices are pretty ridiculous though...

Somnid

Not too familiar with shipping and customs but if Switch is region free would it be more economical for people like Greg to just import?

Massa

There are two different ways to look at Switch, the platform and the product. The product is the $300 2-in-1 thing they're focused on right now, but it's more interesting to look at the platform and what kind of products they can build from it in the years to come. All of their games are being built for it, which is also interesting on its own.

Regarding a non-portable Switch, I find both comparisons you made on the podcast to be very flawed. The Vita TV was a portable Vita that meet the criteria of being cheap, but it couldn't play flagship Vita games like Uncharted. It also couldn't play flagship Playstation games like the "real Uncharted", those were on PS3/PS4. A "Switch TV" would have none of these problems. It would be a cheap Nintendo console that plays all of Nintendo's games.

Likewise the Wii U only didn't ditch the gamepad because they couldn't. Miyamoto was openly frustrated about the cost it added to the system, and the Wii U basically never saw a price reduction in its lifetime. Not because they didn't want to, because they were stuck. The chips in the thing only got more expensive with time, as they were using outdated tech (partially why they recalled the thing for replacement parts, I would bet). The gamepad was hardcoded in the SDK, OS and games meaning you'd end up with a "Vita TV" situation by removing it - you'd have a cheap Wii U that can't play flagship Wii U games. Again, the Switch has been designed from the ground up to avoid these problems.

Not too familiar with shipping and customs but if Switch is region free would it be more economical for people like Greg to just import?

The problem is that 300 U.S. dollars = 393.37504 Canadian dollars. Even if he buys it at GDC - which I'm betting he will ;) - it's still the same price.

firehawk12

Subete no aware

I figured that line would trigger someone. :p

The problem is that 300 U.S. dollars = 393.37504 Canadian dollars. Even if he buys it at GDC - which I'm betting he will ;) - it's still the same price.
Isn't everything tax free in California or something?

cw_sasuke

There also will be some software surprises for 3DS owners, but i doubt you will see or new Animal Crossing or Fire Emblem on they system.

guess we are getting a FE on 3DS after all...lawl.
Still new Switch game happening in 2018.

I may be reading too much into this, but when CJ mentioned Glittermitten Grove and deflected when Phil said he wanted to know more about one of the AS games, was he just joking or does Adult Swim not acknowledge Frog Fractions?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I may be reading too much into this, but when CJ mentioned Glittermitten Grove and deflected when Phil said he wanted to know more about one of the AS games, was he just joking or does Adult Swim not acknowledge Frog Fractions?
I assume so, since I asked about the game here a page ago and was ignored! lol

Redrum_82

I'm watching the episode right now.

Regarding the question about a cheaper screenless version of the Switch I agree it wuold not make any sense and you couldn't really call it a Switch anymore.
It would be like releasing a 3DS without the 3d screen an calling it a 2D... oh wait a second!

Harlock

When was a new Nintendo console cheaper at launch than the 3 year old competition ? ;-)

I get what you are saying, no one is denying that the system is expensive. But Nintendo hasnt been operating like that for years now...being the cheapest option didnt help the Gamecube and i dont think its the way to go in a mobile/f2p dominated world either - these devices will always be cheaper, Gaming on those system will always be cheaper since everyone owns a Tablet and/or Smartphone already and they are f2p.

Those Canadian prices are pretty ridiculous though...

Is not just hardware, Nintendo software prices don't drop like the main games for PS4 and Xbox One. And all the digital flash sales.

And Bomberman for Switch is U$ 50. Bomberman.

I have a feeling that Nintendo Switch demographic is exactly like that dude on the first trailer. Adult, dogs in the place of kids, a lot of disposable income.

komplanen

Adult, dogs in the place of kids, a lot of disposable income.

First of all this description sounds amazing! And second of all I'm pretty sure if you'd do a demography break down you'd find that families are well represented in Nintendo users.

I mean I would go as far as to say that Lego and Nintendo products are the stereotypical go-to when parents figure out what kind of fun to buy for their children that they too can enjoy. I bet even Phil allows his kids to play with his Lego and Nintendo every now and then.

And Bomberman for Switch is U$ 50. Bomberman.

This, I agree, is ridiculous. What were they even thinking?

EDIT: Prices are in euros

c9n7CXk.png

hAJi8n3.png

I think the Switch isn't that expensive, it's right in line with the other consoles, cheaper than the Pro. I do think it's going to be more of a one-per-household purchase though. My three cousins each have some variant of 3DS, but I don't see my aunt and uncle ever buying more than one Switch.

It's features contribute to that as well as the price. Each kid asking for their own 3DS makes sense, it's small and looks like a toy. If they all asked for their own Switch to use as a replacement I don't know that my aunt and uncle would see them as equivalents. "We don't even have a second TV to hook another of these up to!"

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Greg literally just put this up during the Fire Emblem talk and walked away. lol

I had no idea that they were making it basically a Japanese gachage... but it almost feels too late with games like Fate and Granblue basically dominating the market there.

cw_sasuke

I had no idea that they were making it basically a Japanese gachage... but it almost feels too late with games like Fate and Granblue basically dominating the market there.

Not really - the market is very big and and profitable - getting only one app up there will remain the goal for most devs nowadays.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Not really - the market is very big and and profitable - getting only one app up there will remain the goal for most devs nowadays.
Do Japanese whales play more than one game? Considering I see people spend thousands on Fate and GBF rolls, I find that idea insane. Let alone the time investment - you can spend all day playing GBF and not do everything.

mrkgoo

Remember to play along with Player One Podcast this week!

rog1NAF.jpg

The internet was worth it.

I love Ethan. i did a bit of pondering the other day, as I do every now and again about P1P. It's literally the single piece of media I've put more time in that any other. over 500 episodes has got to be somewhere near 700 hours of content.

I've been witness to the gang have kids over that time, had my own kids. That 4th chair is somehow always perfect. I loved Greg Ford, I loved Mike, and now i love Ethan (It's so long ago now, I actually forgot what early episodes were like, and with Dormer). Somehow, P1P makes it so that every person has a place and feels like they are the perfect fit and that they have been there ever since.

I love you guys so much.

Episode 533: Lethalest of Weapons

This week! More Switch stuff plus a whole bunch of Fire Emblem. How do we feel about Nintendo’s latest foray into free to play? Find out! Plus: Dragon Quest 8, Alone With You, NES Classic hacks and more! Join us, won’t you?

Audio: http://traffic.libsyn.com/playerone/01_24_17-Episode533.mp3
Blog: http://www.playeronepodcast.com/533
iTunes: https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/player-one-podcast-video-games/id202883543?mt=2
Youtube: https://youtu.be/y-q50oAme3k
Patreon: http://www.patreon.com/p1podcast

cw_sasuke

Have to agree with CJ - ALTTP is a classic, but ALBW kinda took its spot when it comes to replays for me. Cant go wrong with any of these title though.

You missed Chrono Trigger though - timeless classic.
Mike come back and save us from Ethan, every week he descends further into Madness. 4 Switch pre-orders, make it stop.

Better save than sorry - he explained why he is doing it.
I also have 4 preordered, doesnt mean much if you dont have to pay for it until the release.

komplanen

I dont quite get the point you are trying to make - having a backup reservation for a console you wanna get on Day 1 isnt some new strange concept.

I'm laughing at four, but I have two pre-oders myself and I might end up buying from a completely different third location if I can just walk in and pick one up without a reservation.

Top Bottom