• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Player 1 Podcast Topic

komplanen

If it's not too late for this week's podcast recording, I would like to put forward a suggestion that the crew comes up with some guesses / predictions about next week's Nintendo event. I always enjoy those :-3

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Did CJ have anything to do with Frog Fractions 2? Or is that a different part of Adult Swim games?
I'd be curious to know what it was like to basically hide a game inside a generic looking indie game that no one would want to play. Marketing probably hated the idea.

We're at 50% now. Which, I guess, means that CJ and Phil's marriages are totally safe, statistically. ;)
I'm just reminded that half of the people who hosted 1up Yours got divorced as well. I guess that's just life.

komplanen

Great podcast and I especially enjoyed the Switch discussion. Hopefully you guys actually manage to do a live stream.

Also grats Phil :-3

I'm currently watching today's episode on Youtube but I'm really struggling to not be distracted by the "related videos" at the side...

TqZ5R6d.png

I mean, Mike hasn't even been on in months...

The switch reveal is this week? My podcast feed is going to be overrun with hot takes.

Nice to see someone else (Ethan) listens to the glixel podcast. Wish it had a bigger following here.

Moofers

I'm listening to 531 this morning and I am begging you guys to ease up on Ethan already. Good grief, I know you love making fun of the Vita and I know that a guy playing Shantae in a crowded bar is an easy mark, but week after week you guys are just leaning into him and its starting to get harder to listen to.

PillarEN

The Darkest Dungeon pile on was the best thing. Phil's humor is the best. And I also enjoy when the others shit on him for it usually. I got your back though, Phil. Keep on annoying the others.

I'm listening to 531 this morning and I am begging you guys to ease up on Ethan already. Good grief, I know you love making fun of the Vita and I know that a guy playing Shantae in a crowded bar is an easy mark, but week after week you guys are just leaning into him and its starting to get harder to listen to.

Yeah....don't do any of this. "Ethan is the guy in the brothel playing his Vita" just about made me swerve into oncoming traffic. If I die while driving because of you guys, then you ease up on him, but until then, keep 'em coming.

Moofers

The Darkest Dungeon pile on was the best thing. Phil's humor is the best. And I also enjoy when the others shit on him for it usually. I got your back though, Phil. Keep on annoying the others.

Yeah....don't do any of this. "Ethan is the guy in the brothel playing his Vita" just about made me swerve into oncoming traffic. If I die while driving because of you guys, then you ease up on him, but until then, keep 'em coming.

I did a podcast with a friend for about 5 years and listeners would always say how much they liked it when we bickered or made fun of each other. That was always my least favorite part of our show so that never stopped surprising me when I'd hear it.

P1 crew I guess do your thing but know that there's an audience out there for what Ethan has to say. Its the only show I listen to where anyone talks about Vita stuff at all despite that there are new releases for that thing about every month. I know Phil doesn't give a fig about Steins Gate but I don't give a shit about Wario Watch Ware or whatever either if you feel me.

Anyway, thanks for doing the show every week. Some complaints here and there don't mean I don't have love for the show!

suaveric

Episode 531: Where Everybody Knows You're Lame

This week! Mobile gets some bad Mega Man. Just a few more days until the Switch conference. Playing a video game in a bar. And oh so much more. Join us, won’t you?

Audio: http://traffic.libsyn.com/playerone/01_10_17-Episode531.mp3
Blog: http://www.playeronepodcast.com/531
iTunes: https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/player-one-podcast-video-games/id202883543?mt=2
Youtube: https://youtu.be/WgReeIhbY0Y
Patreon: http://www.patreon.com/p1podcast

I don't get why you guys were acting so weird about the next Mario game. We know it's coming and probably soon. We know it's not a "New" game. Judging by the footage we saw in the Switch reveal it looks like a return the the 64/Sunshine/Galaxy style gameplay.You guys were acting like none of this was known.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free

I kinda have to agree. The chance of someone being "triggered" as soon as Ethan starts to talk (Vita, Switch, mobile gaming etc. ) has been quite high lately. I dont even get the Vita hate since he plays plenty of other stuff as well, from newer console releases to all the new/exciting VR stuff.

Then again they are all friends and thats just the impression from an outsider looking in. Really enjoy the discussions otherwise the Brothel joke was pretty funny lol.

Cant wait for the Switch discussions on the next episode...should be interesting after the press conference and events tomorrow.

komplanen

Oh c'mon guys?! I'm sure Ethan can handle it. They all know it's just a bunch of fun. Mike would roll in his grave if anyone ever gave him one.

I started playing Stories the Path of Destiny or whatever its called too and I'm rather enjoing it. It is much more Batman combat than Diablo, but I'm having fun with it. It's a little repetitive but the story picks up once the structure of the game opens up. The humor works a lot better the further you get in, especially when things go from bad to worse for the protagonist.

cw_sasuke

Oh c'mon guys?! I'm sure Ethan can handle it. They all know it's just a bunch of fun. Mike would roll in his grave if anyone ever gave him one.

Its less a criticism than a observation we all know they are friends and every cast member has subjects to be mocked... from Sports and Nascar games, to Dynasty Warriors and CJ with his Nintendo love.

Because I enjoy everything about the podcast besides Ethan, I was wondering if anyone else felt the same way. His Vita obsession gets annoying and he tends to have recency bias for his favorites.

This isnt a industry podcast - they cast will always talk about what they are passionate about. For Ethan its the Vita, current gen games and VR stuff. Nothing wrong with that...im not even a big Vita fan and have no issues with it, since he plays and talks about plenty of other stuff as well.

kamakazi5

I love Ethan and think he's been a great addition. The only issue is he usually doesn't fire back when the others make fun of him so it seems like everyone is being more mean than they actually are. He needs to make more traffic jokes.

mozfan12

Banned
Guys that was awful. If it wasn't for the Zelda trailer, I don't think even Ethan could spin this. Come on, FIFA and Skyrim for third party support?!!!!!!

FN-2187

Because I enjoy everything about the podcast besides Ethan, I was wondering if anyone else felt the same way. His Vita obsession gets annoying and he tends to have recency bias for his favorites.

Definitely do not feel the same. Ethan is awesome and has beeen a great addition. The show was really starting to struggle for a number of months after Mike left. The energy has been back since Ethan joined.

komplanen

Let's see...

Things wrong with today's presentation (topics for discussion)
  • $299
  • mothly fee for online gaming
  • Launch lineup
  • 3hr battery life if playing games as demanding as Zelda:BotW
  • New Donk City
  • EA's got nothing but FIFA 2017
  • Literally none of today's AAA 3rd party games
  • $80 Joy-Con

Also:

• 329€ in Italy etc.
  • Xenoblade 2: What's Wrong With Your Pants Edition

Anything else? But at least that's a start.

Glassboy

Ethan is great! I love his enthusiasm and the variety of games he plays. And his countdown for the top five games was hilarious.

Also, thank you dudes for doing a livestream after the conference. Always fun to hear your reactions.

cw_sasuke

Let's see...

Things wrong with today's presentation (topics for discussion)
  • $299
  • $9.99 /month
  • Launch lineup
  • 3hr battery life if playing games as demanding as Zelda:BotW
  • New Donk City
  • EA's got nothing but FIFA 2017
  • Literally none of today's AAA 3rd party games
  • $80 Joy-Con

Also:

• 329€ in Italy etc.
  • Xenoblade 2: What's Wrong With Your Pants Edition

Anything else? But at least that's a start.

10 dollar a months ? We dont know what they are charging for online and what exactly they are offering. We dont know the battery life when playing Zelda - just 2.5 - 6h in general. EA announced prior to the event that they are working on 1-2 Switch and it being Fifa was pretty much a given - dont know what you expected there.

This is still the WiiU follow up - not some kind of PS4 Killer.

komplanen

10 dollar a months ? We dont know what they are charging for online and what exactly they are offering. We dont know the battery life when playing Zelda - just 2.5 - 6h in general. EA announced prior to the event that they are working on 1-2 Switch and it being Fifa was pretty much a given - dont know what you expected there.

3hrs for BotW is literally a figure from Nintend's hardware details.

Also what do you mean by:

10 dollar a months ? We dont know what they are charging for online and what exactly they are offering.

We don't know the price, it's my mistake I'll edit it out. But I mean we certainly do know what we're getting because it's all right there:

8AorVPc.png

Also the wording is that you get to play the game "for a month" and not that it's actually a monthly free game like on PSN

- Subscribers will get to download and play a Nintendo Entertainment System™ (NES) or Super Nintendo Entertainment System™ (Super NES) game (with newly-added online play) for free for a month.

Sure thing, but there's still plenty of talking points there to support the notion people are sharing that this was a let down of a reveal in many regards.

cw_sasuke

We don't know the price, it's my mistake I'll edit it out. But I mean we certainly do know what we're getting because it's all right there:

Also the wording is that you get to play the game "for a month" and not that it's actually a monthly free game like on PSN

I mean we dont know how much they will charge and what type of games and exclusive deals they are talking about. From a shitty NES game for free to steep discount on first party Switch titles...who knows. I also dont think they will charge as much as Sony/MS charge - Pokemon Bank type price point seems more likely. Around 5€ a month maybe.

Just saying....still a lot of details we dont know about yet.

Ofcourse you can be letdown about the other stuff - everyone has different expectations.

komplanen

I mean we dont know how much they will charge and what type of games and exclusive deals they are talking about. From a shitty NES game for free to steep discount on first party Switch titles...who knows.

We know. Because Nintendo says what's up:

Monthly game download
Subscribers will get to download and play a Nintendo Entertainment System™ (NES) or Super Nintendo Entertainment System™ (Super NES) game (with newly-added online play) for free for a month.

We're getting NES and SNES games.

I mean I'm still day 1, absolutely no doubt about it, but they price better be cheap for this online thing when it's literally just (S)NES game to play for a month on rotation and the ability to play multiplayer. People are already not feeling great at what PSN+ is offering with disappointments month after month, but at least they're still concurrent titles, albeit smaller indie ones.

cw_sasuke

We know. Because Nintendo says what's up:

We're getting NES and SNES games.

I mean I'm still day 1, absolutely no doubt about it, but they price better be cheap for this online thing when it's literally just (S)NES game to play for a month on rotation and the ability to play multiplayer. People are already not feeling great at what PSN+ is offering with disappointments month after month, but at least they're still concurrent titles, albeit smaller indie ones.

We dont know about the exclusive deals part and one NES or SNES game can also mean alot depending on what games they are talking and how online is implemented..especially since we dont know what they are charging.

I wont stop you from having your opinion - but there are alot odd details missing about the online plan.

cw_sasuke

$5 a month is $60/y. The same price as PSN/XBL.

That was a mistake, meant to compare it to Pokemon Bank which costs for a year i think....so something between that, dont think they will charge 60.

Massa

The price of the Switch is a little higher than I expected but they'll probably release a version without the dock ($90 MSRP) not long after launch. Maybe even in a bundle with Mario Kart 8 if things aren't going well.

They could also do a cheap non-portable version eventually.

Regarding the games, I think the headliners for the year (Zelda, Mario, Splatoon) could make a killer line-up. Nintendo's problem is filling the gaps without the big third party releases. They need more than one Wii U port (I wonder if Pokemon and Smash are still coming). If the indie games are there it'll be great.

The internet's overreaction is tiring.

komplanen

The price of the Switch is a little higher than I expected but they'll probably release a version without the dock ($90 MSRP) not long after launch. Maybe even in a bundle with Mario Kart 8 if things aren't going well.

They could also do a cheap non-portable version eventually.

Regarding the games, I think the headliners for the year (Zelda, Mario, Splatoon) could make a killer line-up. Nintendo's problem is filling the gaps without the big third party releases. They need more than one Wii U port (I wonder if Pokemon and Smash are still coming). If the indie games are there it'll be great.

Summary:
- "probably" releasing $90 cheaper version without dock after launch
- cheaper non-portable version? Like, without the Joy-Cons? Without a battery? What are you talking about?
- Mario Kart 8 bundle to save Nintendo "if things aren't going well"? Really? Is that all it takes?
-
Imaginary
Wii U ports filling in the gaps, coming out soon* (*
cross your fingers
)
- Indie games save the day* (*
also available on literally every other platform you might own
)

The internet's overreaction is tiring.

That's a lot of best-case scenario could-haves you listed there. I don't want to start a fight, but I'd say stretching things into imaginary world and back just to say something positive is far more tiring than people reacting to facts that are out there right now. People aren't unsatisfied with your or their imaginary what-if Nintendo of 2018, they are unsatisfied with what's coming out in 7 weeks for real.

EDIT: Just to be clear: I'm getting Switch and a couple of games day 1 and I'm excited because I see some hidden potential in all of this, like you do, but I still think people are disappointed for real reasons.

Massa

Summary:
- "probably" releasing $90 cheaper version without dock after launch
- cheaper non-portable version? Like, without the Joy-Cons? Without a battery? What are you talking about?
- Mario Kart 8 bundle to save Nintendo "if things aren't going well"? Really? Is that all it takes?
-
Imaginary
Wii U ports filling in the gaps, coming out soon* (*
cross your fingers
)
- Indie games save the day* (*
also available on literally every other platform you might own
)

What on earth are you summarizing? I think you're completely misreading my post.

The Switch comes bundled with an accessory that costs $90. I think Nintendo could remove that accessory if they feel the need to hit a lower price, like what happened with the 3DS. That's it. If the system meets their sales expectations they don't have to do that. If it doesn't they could do that. It's just a very simple observation that I thought was interesting precisely because the reaction the price has been negative. If the market agrees Nintendo will have to react. I'm sure the podcast will discuss this which is why I thought it was worth posting here.

A non-portable SKU would be a non-portable SKU. What the Vita TV is to a Vita. Remove the screen, remove the battery and you have a system that's $100 cheaper or more. Unlike the Wii U, the Switch seems designed to be usable without a hands-on screen controller. That and their architecture allows them more flexibility with different models and such. Again, just an observation that I thought was worth mentioning.

As for indie games, that was just a personal observation. The Vita is one of my favorite systems ever and I'm very interested in the Switch for that very reason. I have no idea why you're trying to argue with me on that point, or anything for that matter.

That's a lot of best-case scenario could-haves you listed there. I don't want to start a fight, but I'd say stretching things into imaginary world and back just to say something positive is far more tiring than people reacting to facts that are out there right now. People aren't unsatisfied with your or their imaginary what-if Nintendo of 2018, they are unsatisfied with what's coming out in 7 weeks for real.

*sigh*

wondermega

I can't see them shipping a sku without the dock though, as a desperate move to lower the price. It sounds too much like WiiU wishful thinking when lots of people suggested "sell that console without the expensive gamepad.." which obviously never came close to happening. That would work counter to what the system is supposed to be. If you remove the dock from the box, it's now primarily a portable system with an optional dock accessory. That doesn't match their company line of the hybrid unit that they are trying to push. And sure, they will sell extra docks separately "anyway" which makes sense.. but that is completely different than how they DIDN'T sell extra gamepads (or base units) for WiiU.

To be fair they haven't had a problem releasing revisions that go against prior marketing. The 2DS did away with the biggest feature that differentiated the 3DS.

Selling a Switch without a dock would make sense for families too. My wife doesn't play a ton of games but loved the Wii U, she got addicted to Splatoon, MK8, and a few other games. If I wanted to get two systems I'd only use one of the docks. My aunt and uncle are going to be in a similar situation, they have three kids who will probably each want one of these. At $300 each they'll end up sharing, but if there was a ~$200 option they may get a spare (each kid currently has their own 3DS).

Personally I hope they go all out with different configurations and offer not only a dock-less version but a Pro equivalent that ditches the handheld part.

Massa

I can't see them shipping a sku without the dock though, as a desperate move to lower the price. It sounds too much like WiiU wishful thinking when lots of people suggested "sell that console without the expensive gamepad.." which obviously never came close to happening. That would work counter to what the system is supposed to be. If you remove the dock from the box, it's now primarily a portable system with an optional dock accessory. That doesn't match their company line of the hybrid unit that they are trying to push. And sure, they will sell extra docks separately "anyway" which makes sense.. but that is completely different than how they DIDN'T sell extra gamepads (or base units) for WiiU.

That's the thing, with the Wii U it wasn't feasible to remove the gamepad. Games and the system were designed from day 1 to assume the gamepad existed. The Switch is a much more interesting platform. They could release it without the dock, they could release a cheaper version with a smaller screen, or an even cheaper version without a screen. This isn't "wishful thinking", that's the first thing they said about this platform, years ago, before they even announced it as the NX.

Top Bottom