• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The PlayStation Vita In 2011-2012

Raine

annnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnd we can use current PS3 official Sony bluetooth headsets I'm assuming?

You can.

I am still undecided on whether I should go completely DD with the vita.

It will be great to have all my games with me all the time. but with the card prices, and current 32gb limit, I am really confused.

What will you guys be doing ?

Some titles I'll get in retail and other for download. For instance, I'll get Uncharted in case I want to sell it but I'll be downloading Wipeout/Virtua Tennis and games alike that I can just pick up and play.

Digishine

Banned
Im new to neoGAF hello everyone
I pre ordered the psvita first edition and very pumped 12 more days. One game I see being made on the psvita is lots of HD collections. One other thing is check gamestops online for the memory cards they're priced 5$ more.

welcome to NeoGAF by the way :) But I don't understand the sentence One game I see being made on the psvita is lots of HD collections... what do you mean with that?

imjust1n

Banned
I mean I see Sony bringing lots of HD collections to the psvita, like Metal Gear Solid HD collection and ect ect....and like the new Jak and Dexter HD I see that coming for the Vita too.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom

It will be great to have all my games with me all the time. but with the card prices, and current 32gb limit, I am really confused.

I'd like to do that, but even 32gb won't be enough over time, especially if you're storing video and audio files on your Vita. I guess you can always delete/redownload stuff, but that's a pain in the ass. For now, I'm gonna stick with retail when I have the option.

Digishine

Banned
I mean I see Sony bringing lots of HD collections to the psvita, like Metal Gear Solid HD collection and ect ect....and like the new Jak and Dexter HD I see that coming for the Vita too.

Oh I see well the MGS HD collection thing is something of Konami actually with their transfarring

DBT85

I'd like to do that, but even 32gb won't be enough over time, especially if you're storing video and audio files on your Vita. I guess you can always delete/redownload stuff, but that's a pain in the ass. For now, I'm gonna stick with retail when I have the option.

Why would you need to delete/redownload anything? just transfer it to your PC or PS3.

Raonak

Banned

Full digital. like with psp- the PS3 will be the storage for the games, and the ones i need i'll transfer onto the vita. So memory card size shouldn't be a huge problem. and worst comes to worst; Ill have multiple cards for multiple sets of games.

After the awesome convinicence of the PSPgo I'm staying digital.

ALSO: digital = forward compatibility.

Much like the PSP -> Vita situation, These vita carts might not be compatible for the next generation. while digital downloads likely will.

I have a strong feeling the next vita will just exist as an Xperia phone (Playstation Xperia?)
and on it they allow you to download and play all your PS1, PSP and Vita games on it.

hitmon

Can digital content purchased be backed up on a PC? Is it possible with the Vita?

Digishine

Banned
Just found out Ill have to pay more the the normal price for my vita :-l Amazon ask £220 wich is about €262 and the ps vita in europe cost €250... this sucks

DCharlie

Banned
I'd like to do that, but even 32gb won't be enough over time

yeah, i've actually moved to 2x32gb already - moved PSP stuff over to it's own card. 8 gig left on the "Vita" card - i double dipped a few games :/

Toki767

I'm guessing by TGS they'll be unveiling 64gb cards for the same price as 32gb cards and just give the 32gb card a 25% price cut or so.

Raonak

Banned
About the content manager:

at launch, on the PS3, when you copied a game stored on the ps3, it would then delete the game from the ps3. (basically moving rather than copying)

has that been fixed yet? also, does the same thing happen on PC?

because that just defeats the whole purpose of it. :/

Toki767

About the content manager:

at launch, on the PS3, when you copied a game stored on the ps3, it would then delete the game from the ps3. (basically moving rather than copying)

has that been fixed yet? also, does the same thing happen on PC?

because that just defeats the whole purpose of it. :/

That's probably on purpose. You'd have to transfer it back to the PS3 or PC before you delete it from your memory card if you don't want to redownload it.

DBT85

Maybe I'm just tired, but I don't follow.

If you have something on the memory card on your Vita but no longer want it there you transfer it back to your PC or PS3 or a Mac (eventually). There is no need to re download anything you buy from the PSN just because you currently don't want it in your Vita. When you want it again just transfer it back.

cnizzle06

Banned
If you have something on the memory card on your Vita but no longer want it there you transfer it back to your PC or PS3 or a Mac (eventually). There is no need to re download anything you buy from the PSN just because you currently don't want it in your Vita. When you want it again just transfer it back.

What's the benefit. Just saving bandwidth and time?

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Finally got the chance to try a Vita today after waiting for so long and came away super impressed. Uncharted was loaded up first and, as expected, the lower resolution is almost a non-issue on the Vita screen itself. The game still looks clean and sharp despite the drop in resolution. Native would have been better for sure (Virtua Tennis 4 looked unbelievably sharp) but it wasn't half bad.

Thought the analog sticks felt great and I had no problems aiming out of the gate. Can't wait to get my hands on my own in less than two weeks.

DBT85

What's the benefit. Just saving bandwidth and time?

For the millions of people not on a half decent connection? yes?

For me to download Uncharted is going to take about 2.5 hours at best speed. Let's be realistic and say I don't get best speed from the PSN. Now I've previously deleted Uncharted from my Vita for some reason and I'm about to go out and want to play it again. If the options are have it sitting on my PC/PS3 ready to transfer in a couple of minutes, or waiting several hours for it to come back down the pipe I know which I'll choose.

Not only that, your game saves are (I'm fairly sure of this but hopefully someone else will confirm) tied directly into the game data and are not separate files. So when you delete a game from your memory stick your saves and data are gone with it. On that basis you'd always backup your Vita (and therefore have the game ready to copy over again) rather than just deleting and downloading it again which would mean no saves.

cnizzle06

Banned
For the millions of people not on a half decent connection? yes?

For me to download Uncharted is going to take about 2.5 hours at best speed. Let's be realistic and say I don't get best speed from the PSN. Now I've previously deleted Uncharted from my Vita for some reason and I'm about to go out and want to play it again. If the options are have it sitting on my PC/PS3 ready to transfer in a couple of minutes, or waiting several hours for it to come back down the pipe I know which I'll choose.

Not only that, your game saves are (I'm fairly sure of this but hopefully someone else will confirm) tied directly into the game data and are not separate files. So when you delete a game from your memory stick your saves and data are gone with it. On that basis you'd always backup your Vita (and therefore have the game ready to copy over again) rather than just deleting and downloading it again which would mean no saves.

Ah, good info to know.

Isn't there some kind of software manager on PC for that?

I'll get the 8 GB for now and wait for the price to drop for the others.
For the Game I'll pick up Hot Shot Golf I guess.

Raonak

Banned
That's probably on purpose. You'd have to transfer it back to the PS3 or PC before you delete it from your memory card if you don't want to redownload it.

Oh, you can transfer games vita games BACK to the PS3?
I thought it was just one-way like PSP.

good to hear then, I was afraid i would have to redownload a game again if i wanted to remove it from my memorycard.

DBT85

Isn't there some kind of software manager on PC for that?

I'll get the 8 GB for now and wait for the price to drop for the others.
For the Game I'll pick up Hot Shot Golf I guess.

You do all the managing from the Vita. There is no, and will probably never be, a program that you run on the PC to send things to the Vita.

Meh. Judging by this generation, and how avaliable old games are via virtual console, PSN, etc. I'm not too worried about the future.

Judging by this generation of PSN being shut down for weeks, people having their rights removed from Xbox Live, EA/Origin banning people which prevents their access to their paid games, Direct2Drive being bought out and people losing their games, and so forth, I think relying on servers to give us the right to access our paid content is something I don't want to have faith in 10 years from now.

Yeah like the UMD... Oh wait

My PSP still works fine. I'll never have to rely on a server to activate my game. I'll never have to worry about a server or a licensing issue denying me from downloading the game again.

Raonak

Banned
Judging by this generation of PSN being shut down for weeks, people having their rights removed from Xbox Live, EA/Origin banning people which prevents their access to their paid games, Direct2Drive being bought out and people losing their games, and so forth, I think relying on servers to give us the right to access our paid content is something I don't want to have faith in 10 years from now.

My PSP still works fine. I'll never have to rely on a server to activate my game. I'll never have to worry about a server or a licensing issue denying me from downloading the game again.

You realise once the game is on your memorycard, then it's as reliable as a physical game. vita doesn't ping back to sony for checks or anything. so yeah. you can have your whole library on memorycards and you won't have to worry about anything.

Eusis

Yeah like the UMD... Oh wait
As long as the original system works and the UMD doesn't break it'd always work, whereas you're server reliant for a download. Of course the inverse is true too as I outlined at the same time, and Sony's been great about allowing redownloads so it's more an issue of being able to still be able to BUY a game. Which is more a long term physical advantage, if only due to used copies.

Of course, the Vita will show if games that were pulled from digital purchase will be supported in BC, nevermind those that CAN still be bought not working, hough it sounds like they're working on those.

You realise once the game is on your memorycard, then it's as reliable as a physical game. vita doesn't ping back to sony for checks or anything. so yeah. you can have your whole library on memorycards and you won't have to worry about anything.

When you transfer it to a PS3 or PC, doesn't it ping the server for DRM when you want to move it back to the Vita? Storage on a Vita is going to get tight over time with a limit of 32 gigs. Unless you're advocating buying several 32 gig cards which doesn't seem ideal.

until the disc gets scratched or the battery in the cartridge wears out and you can't save anymore...

Good thing I take care of my games. Batteries aren't used on games anymore so I don't see how that's even a point to bring up. Even if I somehow got into an accident with my game, I know shit happens sometimes, I could still buy another physical copy. What happens if the server shuts down? I won't be able to buy it again.

Raonak

Banned
When you transfer it to a PS3 or PC, doesn't it ping the server for DRM when you want to move it back to the Vita? Storage on a Vita is going to get tight over time with a limit of 32 gigs. Unless you're advocating buying several 32 gig cards which doesn't seem ideal.

Im not sure, since the vita itself handles all the datatransfering, the PC/PS3 doesn't actually do anything. EDIT: yeah, you need to be online. but it isn't a problem if you do the multiple/big memorycards approach.
I'm sure larger memorycards will come out with time, but i was just giving an example of a case where you can go ditial and not worry too much about sony's servers.

it's more an issue of being able to still be able to BUY a game.

Shouldn't be an issue for the vita since every title will be avaliable as DD.

It's quite exciting actually, it's technically the first big console to have the option of going fully digital.

Toki767

I also feel it should be stated that for all intents and purposes, digital distribution is very much still in its infancy. I think there are still a lot of kinks to be worked out.

Sure it would be optimistic to think that titles will never be taken down from the server, but there's always the possibility of a removed title being put back.

Some people are also not very good with taking care of their games or systems especially when you have kids or pets in the house so digital is probably a better option for them.

In the end you just have to do what you feel will work for you in the future. Some prefer physical copies and some prefer digital copies. I don't see why people argue so much over it as long as the people who want to play the games are getting a chance to play them.

graywolf323

Good thing I take care of my games. Batteries aren't used on games anymore so I don't see how that's even a point to bring up. Even if I somehow got into an accident with my game, I know shit happens sometimes, I could still buy another physical copy. What happens if the server shuts down? I won't be able to buy it again.

it's worth bringing up because it's not just disc based systems people still play from back in the day

the GBA carts have batteries *glares at my copy of Advance Wars that no longer holds a save*

and with digital I can backup my games if I want to so don't have to worry about servers going down

also what if you had a copy of Suikoden II bought back in the day when the price was reasonable, if that got damaged you're going to have to spend over $100 to replace it while if you have it digitally you don't have that concern

it's worth bringing up because it's not just disc based systems people still play from back in the day

the GBA carts have batteries *glares at my copy of Advance Wars that no longer holds a save*

and with digital I can backup my games if I want to so don't have to worry about servers going down

also what if you had a copy of Suikoden II bought back in the day when the price was reasonable, if that got damaged you're going to have to spend over $100 to replace it while if you have it digitally you don't have that concern

How do you back up PS3 downloads or Xbox Live games?

Good thing with Advanced Wars and Suikoden II I have the means to create back ups that are DRM free. Plus even with the point of Suikoden, the point is you can still buy it even if it is rare and expensive where as if licensing rights have expired or a server goes down, there is absolutely no means of getting a replacement.

graywolf323

How do you back up PS3 downloads or Xbox Live games?

Good thing with Advanced Wars and Suikoden II I have the means to create back ups that are DRM free. Plus even with the point of Suikoden, the point is you can still buy it even if it is rare and expensive where as if licensing rights have expired or a server goes down, there is absolutely no means of getting a replacement.

you can back up your PS3 to an external hard drive and the Xbox now supports thumb drives so you could back up Xbox Live games that way as well

you can back up your PS3 to an external hard drive and the Xbox now supports thumb drives so you could back up Xbox Live games that way as well

Both only work on the device downloaded to. You can't restore to a new system. What happens when your system dies? You lose everything? We've seen plenty of issues with 360 having RRoD and PS3 with YLOD. I'm talking 10 years from now, not tomorrow. Not to mention you can't back up your data for these devices like you can on a computer. A real back up is multiple copies and off site storage. You can't do that here.

Raonak

Banned
Hang on. you're counting digital backups as an advantage for physical copies?

10 years from now, getting old games really wouldn't be an issue. you wont even need the physical copies to get backups.

graywolf323

Both only work on the device downloaded to. You can't restore to a new system.

where did you get that idea? you can restore to a new system and I've personally done it with both a 360 and a PS3

it's really starting to seem like you just irrationally hate digital distribution, I'm not saying it's perfect but it's definitely nowhere near as bad as you try to make it out to be

where did you get that idea? you can restore to a new system and I've personally done it with both a 360 and a PS3

it's really starting to seem like you just irrationally hate digital distribution

How do you restore to a new system without talking to the server? There is DRM; otherwise people would copy them all the time and piracy would run rampant. I did a back up with my PS3 when I had to exchange my system due to the hardware defect related to GTA4. The downloads did not transfer. I had to redownload everything.

Eusis

Shouldn't be an issue for the vita since every title will be avaliable as DD.
Except that probably isn't going to stop issues like publishers going out of business, licensing agreements expiring, etc. That's what I meant there, it's not a matter of a game going or not going on the store, it's a matter of being able to still buy the game AT ALL, and physical copies don't depend on these licensing arrangements to remain available short of maybe a few weird instances where a court intervenes, and even then there's only so much when it's scattered all over the place rather than consolidated on a few servers.

Misterhbk

It's quite exciting actually, it's technically the first big console to have the option of going fully digital.

I'm not fully prepared to go all digital. I still like having tons of game boxes stacked next to and on top of one another. Partially to show it off and partially just for my collection. That part of gaming disappears once we go all digital. I'm picking up a 32GB just so I have space for all the download only games I want but for the most part I'll still be buying physical copies.

Eusis

I'm not fully prepared to go all digital. I still like having tons of game boxes stacked next to and on top of one another. Partially to show it off and partially just for my collection. That part of gaming disappears once we go all digital. I'm picking up a 32GB just so I have space for all the download only games I want but for the most part I'll still be buying physical copies.
I'm all for a mixed approach being the way forward, but that's more I just want as many options as is reasonably doable. Things like you stated are part of why, I like having the physical objects and think it'd be really boring if a lot of media went purely to DD. At the same time, man, I may just not care enough about something to have a physical reminder of it laying around.

EDIT: Though, this also depends on the media. Games might well matter the least because once they're running there's no difference (maybe benefits) versus having a physical copy, whereas blu-rays/DVDs still have bonuses and other language tracks that I don't see implanted in digital download versions often enough, music has a few different formats that can make a difference at least to some people, and books where the experience of reading really CAN change with age and form of the book/ereader, nevermind that it's the only one of those that requires nothing but a knowledge of language and two working eyes (nevermind audio books since they're in the same area as music there). And all of those have sharing issues physical versions (usually) lack.

Raonak

Banned

I'm still going physical for my PS3 for the exact reason you stated. I like seeing my boxes.

But for handhelds, i always thought physical media was sorta contridictory to the whole nature of a portable.

so having a jutebox experience is more important to me than the boxes.
Plus, it looks like vita games don't have manuals either, and i'm not fond of the blue boxes, so that makes me miss it less.

DBT85

I don't see why people argue so much over it

Hello, and welcome to the internet.

For me the Vita is ideal because it gives people the choice, something they've never had before in a console. Day and date digital releases should have happened with the Go but never did, the Vita is setting that wrong right from the off.

For me that choice is simple enough. Anything that I think I'll only play once or twice will get bought on a cart. Anything that I think will get played a lot or often will get bought digitally.

Right off the bat that means Uncharted = Cart and Wipeout = Digital. I've not made up my mind yet on other games however hopefully demos will be available for many to help me decide.

Toki767

Hello, and welcome to the internet.

For me the Vita is ideal because it gives people the choice, something they've never had before in a console. Day and date digital releases should have happened with the Go but never did, the Vita is setting that wrong right from the off.

For me that choice is simple enough. Anything that I think I'll only play once or twice will get bought on a cart. Anything that I think will get played a lot or often will get bought digitally.

Right off the bat that means Uncharted = Cart and Wipeout = Digital. I've not made up my mind yet on other games however hopefully demos will be available for many to help me decide.

So this is the internet I've heard so much about.

I'm definitely doing all single player games as physical buys and a few multiplayer focused ones as digital.

Top Bottom