• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Poted Shoot-Em-Up Triggerheart Exelica Official Thread

Not bad, haven't got a hang of the anchor yet but it seems like a unique spin on the classic SHMUP formula - I haven't really played many post-Saturn SHMUPS, but Triggerheart seems like a good choice for an XBLA port imo, it doesn't seem to difficult and isn't exactly bullet hell so hopefully it'll garner some interest from the general XBLA crowd.

Vaxadrin

Banned
I shall be acquiring this when I get home this evening.

Having been playing Rez & N+ for 5 hours every day since their respective releases, I doubt I'll ever beat Lost Odyssey. XBLA is just too good.

xbhaskarx

Just bought it. I'm still trying to figure out how to most effectively use the anchor and bombs...
So this game gives you infinite continues right from the start?

Mark D

Is the rest of the game just as good as the demo? Does the difficulty stay consistent or does it spike at all? I think I need to hear more impressions before I decide to purchase... XBLA has been draining my wallet lately.

DigitalA1chemy said:
Wow, I didn't even know this was coming. What an awesome surprise. Between this, Ikaruga, that Raiden Fighters collection, Omega 5, and the Senko no Ronde games on 360, the whole "shooterbox" nickname may be taking on a completely different meaning for me :D

Don't forget Shikigami No Shiro 3.

Shooterbox! Shmupbox!

borsdy

Banned
The demo is too short but I'm buying anyway because I was suprised how much fun I've been having with omega five.

soldat7

TXB Review is up: 7.8

Not bad.

Despite the glaring flaw of a cramped field of play, there’s no denying that Triggerheart Exelica is still a blast to play. Nonstop action teamed up with unique gameplay elements and easy to use controls make this just the game to please those of you longing for a good ol’ fashioned space shooter. If you’re a fan of the genre and never got around to playing the original Japanese version of the game, you should definitely check out Triggerheart Exelica.

soldat7

Gowans007 said:
gah I want to play it but Ikaruga is just rounf the courner and cant justify it. :(

Ikaruga BETTER be just around the corner, rather. I can't describe how badly I want that game.

VALIS

Bought it, beat it in about half an hour. Don't mistake my beating it already for being easy, though. It isn't. In fact, some of these achievements seem to be flat out jokes. Finish the game on normal w/o dying? Finish on expert without a continue? Levels 3, 4 and 5 are bullet spam. The entire screen is filled with bullets and as good as you are, at some point you're dying.

I like it, but I like shmups anyway. It's not revolutionary or anything, but the anchor system is pretty neat. The more you use it, the better at this game you'll be.

Durante

Bought it. I really enjoy the game so far, especially the (somewhat cheesy) anchor mechanic.

VALIS said:
Bought it, beat it in about half an hour.
By "beat", you do mean 1cc'ed I take it? I only made it to the stage 4 boss so far.

Geezer said:
Does it have tate mode?
Yes. TATE FTW!

Tain

Tate is great and all, but it's nowhere near as necessary these days with higher resolutions and all.

At least, it shouldn't be. Unfortunately, this game sucks with a 4:3 monitor.

I'm playing a letterbox in a letterbox because I'm running it at 1280x1024. What the hell. Kinda makes tate needed for no good reason.

There are no offline leaderboards, either, from the sound of it. That's an XBLA trend that bugs me.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
VALIS said:
Finish the game on normal w/o dying? Finish on expert without a continue?
The goal of a veteran shmup player is to 1CC a game, so it's not that far out there.

Don't continue when you die, learn that your character can only get hit in a small three-five pixel range (the "hit box") and learn to focus dancing between the bullet streams instead of what you're shooting at. If the game has a "hold" shot that slows you down when you use it, use that in extreme curtains of bullets.

Durante

Double letterbox at 4:3 is indeed crappy, but the 16:9 tate mode is really nice.
exelicatate418.jpg

TATE!
(Now what I'd need is a 360 stick)

I'm having more problems with this game than I should. Still stuck at the 4th boss (and often just the stage or even the third boss!) on normal with 1 credit. I always have a hard time using my hitbox to its fullest extent in shmups with 3D graphics.

aku:jiki

Gowans007 said:
gah I want to play it but Ikaruga is just rounf the courner and cant justify it. :(
soldat7 just gave you justification a few posts above yours. Buy it just to show MS and the developers that we want shmupping action on XBLA. Everybody needs to do this.

Durante said:
By "beat", you do mean 1cc'ed I take it?
Give up. People are just never going to get it. :(

Llyranor

Such a shame that this doesn't have (online) co-op, I would have bought it by now. As it is, the demo wasn't long enough for me to appreciate the gameplay to the point of actually buying it.

aku:jiki said:
Give up. People are just never going to get it. :(

I think the problem is most people either don't play enough SHMUPS and feel ripped off with the relatively small completion time and demanding gameplay, or they play too many different SHMUPS and don't really get good at any of them - they'll never understand the satisfaction that comes with being able to 1c a SHMUP.

Geezer

Broken water pistol loaded with piss
Durante said:
Double letterbox at 4:3 is indeed crappy, but the 16:9 tate mode is really nice.
http://xs124.xs.to/xs124/08093/exelicatate418.jpg[/]
TATE!
(Now what I'd need is a 360 stick)[/QUOTE]
Now that's what I'm talking about:D
I use a 16:10 monitor that can rotate, so I'm all set!

Mamesj

Banned
Yeah, so glad I didn't listen to the people knocking this game (even shmup fans are bad mouthing it.)

Mission 1 kinda blows, 2 is alright, then 3, 4, and 5 are fuck awesome. 4 and 5 are pretty much a screen full of bullets the whole time-- just the way I like it :D

Highly recommended to anyone into shmups (or looking to get into them.)

Tain said:
There are no offline leaderboards, either, from the sound of it. That's an XBLA trend that bugs me.

Yes, this is a real shame. I like checking out my friends and how they rank on all my XBLA games, then go thru and try to beat them, but this game is lacking that. That pisses me off about Puzzle Quest too (they could at least have a "overall time played" leaderboard), and now it pisses me off here. Totally lame.

I do like the game though. And I agree some of those achievements seem impossible.

monoRAIL

Banned
This was a nice surprise for me, as I hadn't played it on DC.

I like how the boss fights change depending on how many score pickups you've collected during the stage. That makes going for a score run totally different from playing for a 1CC. Also the anchor is very interesting. I find myself using only the anchor, unless there are ground targets on screen that I need to clear, or during the fast waves of enemies that try to crash into you, when you need to use the regular gun.

There's a nice risk/reward gamble with either shooting down some of the bigger mid-bosses or using the anchor (which disables your gun) to go for the control and swing, which gives you more score pickups (and hence a longer final boss battle).

Nice game, maybe not as deep as Omega Five, but harder to get a 1CC no doubt.

I also liked how in easy mode you can shoot some of the enemy shots, haven't seen that before. Well worth the 800pts if you're a shmup fan.

I would really love to see Under Defeat on xbla now.

Bebpo

Banned
This game sucks.
It's like Cave if Cave had shitty level design, bullet patterns, balance, controls, and graphics.

For $10 I guess it's sorta worth it just to have another shmup, but Omega Five slaughters this. I can see why no one liked the DC game.

monoRAIL

Banned
Has anyone tried using the manual swing? I wonder if there's some secret advantage to using this over the auto-swing? The cost in terms of loss of control doesn't seem worth it, as I can aim the enemies pretty well with the auto swing, and still dodge bullets.

Bebpo

Banned
Himuro said:
I thought it was supposed to be good!

Yeah the bullet patterns are pretty predictable and the level design plain based on the demo.

No, the import impressions were totally meh-tastic about it. Just like with Radiolgy.

The only companies that make a real AAA shmup these days are Treasure and Cave IMO. Though I liked the gameplay system behind Karas (slashing bullets; aka NMH). Omega Five was great though, so Natsume gets props!

Shmups.com overview by nZero
Grabbing and throwing enemies has both an offensive/defensive component and a scoring component. Enemies thrown into other enemies are extraordinarily damaging, and even if a throw fails to destroy an airborne enemy, it will often knock it clear of the screen. Enemies thrown will also cancel bullets along the path of the toss.

Destroying enemies and absorbing bullets with captured enemies releases small medals, which can be grown into large medals by holding the shot. Tossing enemies into other enemies releases larger medals. Destroying large enemies and boss forms turns all bullets onscreen into small medals. Larger medals with increase both your medal count and your score multiplier more than smaller medals.

Medals increase the multipler, while using captured enemies to destroy other enemies "cashes in", decreasing the multiplier in exchange for points and a quantity of large medals. An exception is during boss fights, where an enemy captured before the current stage of a battle can be tossed with no detrimental effect on multiplier.

V.B.A.S. system is basically set up so that when you destroy one lifebar of a boss, your current number of medals determines whether you move to the next form or destroy the boss. If you have enough medals after you destroy the last boss form in Stages 1 and 3, you'll fight Faintear. When you die, your medal count is reduced (to 3/4? 2/3?)
What does the bolded part mean as far as strategy goes? As in, for example on the first level, I'd want to just shoot things until point X and then pick a good point to capture an enemy and toss him into a crowd?

Because from what little I've played so far, I seem to get better scores by capturing and throwing as much as possible.

Wow, this game is fun!
I was surprised. I've got the DC version but never got to opening it. Anyone care to share the differences? Sound like all arcade games sound a little too overcompressed.
The grappling and throwing mechanic is really cool. I like how you can grapple just about any enemy and throw it into the others. Very satisfying. Not only clearing enemies but you can throw them into bullets, clearing a path for you and earning you medals. Very crucial to surviving the later stages.
Besides the throw mechanic I also like the cave-like Bullet patterns and small hit detection. Although playing this on the analog sticks don't give you the same precision of an arcade stick.
Love the art style and love the icons for achievements for once! Unfortunately I don't think I'll be able to get much of those lovely icons for this game; the achievements are too hardcore!

And yes there is TATE mode!

monoRAIL

Banned
I didn't realise that the multiplier went down when you threw enemies. So far I've been anchoring and throwing enemies as much as possible to collect lots of medals so I can see the extended boss fights (there's achievements for defeating the extended bosses).

Is it just me or is the final boss explosion on stage 5 a really annoying sound effect?

No local leaderboards is bad enough, but the game actually won't show your high scores anymore if you drop out of the Live top 100??

Daigoro

Durante said:
exelicatate418.jpg

TATE!
(Now what I'd need is a 360 stick)

sexy.

ill be picking this up when i get a 360 and a stick (hopefully soonish...).

str8-h4x

I waited over a year before I was validated and this is my first post, GAF. I hope I don't get banned for this.....

I paid $10 for 2 levels? 4/5 is where it's at. The first 3 are just plain BORING, IMO. I'm all for showing MS we want more shmups on xboxlive, and the game is pretty decent, so I'm not REALLY complaining. That said, I'm playing with a LS-32, so it may be easier with my joy.

Edit: woops. I didn't see the original post, so thanks for the heads up!

str8-h4x said:
I waited over a year before I was validated and this is my first post, GAF. I hope I don't get banned for this.....

I paid $10 for 2 levels? 4/5 is where it's at. The first 3 are just plain BORING, IMO. I'm all for showing M$ we want more shmups on xboxlive, and the game is pretty decent, so I'm not REALLY complaining. That said, I'm playing with a LS-32, so it may be easier with my joy.

EDIT: Sorry my first response was a bit rude.

Don't use "M$" and you should be fine.

Narag

Downloaded this as I'd been wanting to play it since it was put on the DC.

Realizing my monitor was light enough to tilt for tate mode while hoping it won't damage it + breaking out the hori stick makes this an awesome time.

Pimpbaa

I'd be more interested in this if it wasn't for the loli art. Are the only people that like shooters now are pedophiles (going by art in other recent shooters)?

What do you have to do to activate Faintear on stage 1 and 3? I hear you need to have a coin chain over 3000 but I suck too much right now to confirm that. =/

Pimpbaa said:
I'd be more interested in this if it wasn't for the loli art. Are the only people that like shooters now are pedophiles (going by art in other recent shooters)?

Yeah I hate the pedo crap but it's not really a problem during the gameplay.

Narag

Pimpbaa said:

Space A Cobra is right. You'll see a bit on the title screen, between missions, and towards the end. Kinda/sorta when using bombs but just man up and don't use bombs!

Top Bottom