• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Poted Shoot-Em-Up Triggerheart Exelica Official Thread

LiK

yea, but why would Square bother with the PSOne FF games when they can rerelease the first 6 FF games over and over again and people still buy it. Cha-Ching~!

RyanDG

Dark Octave said:
Serious? Nah your joking...your joking ... ...:lol

...Serious?

The world may never know :D

In all seriousness though, I do miss the Square that was a bit more creative in their designs. But I understand why they have taken the path they have... It's more commercially viable for them to release RPG ports and spin-offs with the occasional RPG mega-bomb than it is for them to experiment with titles that are likely not going to meet their own mis-guided expectations.

FoxSpirit

Durante said:
Give ZUN some major moneyhats.
And watch out so that he doesn't invest it all in beer.

Well, in Touhou 10 I personally felt he wasn't as great as in 7,8 or 9... I hope the drinks not getting to him -.-

Though the bosses were great as always. :D

LakeEarth

So whats the trick to getting huge scores? I've tried whipping everything at everything and I still can barely crack 2000 in level 1.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
LakeEarth said:
So whats the trick to getting huge scores? I've tried whipping everything at everything and I still can barely crack 2000 in level 1.
The trick is NOT whipping things. Slamming enemies into other decreases your score multiplier. It's generally better to use anchored enemies as defense where they'll turn bullets into medals and then to toss them away from other enemies. Throwing into large enemies can be beneficial for the amount of medals earned though.

Durante

Jonnyram said:
AFAIK, you need 3000 gold on stage 1 and 3400 on stage 3. It may be approximate though.
Thanks for that, knowing the requirements (and that they weren't too outlandish) made actually reaching them much easier.

Faintear called me impressive :lol

gkryhewy

I can't seem to get my score to show up in the leaderboards. Tried both beating the game (with continues) and letting the timer run out after one credit. Checked the leaderboards for both characters - nothing.

stuminus3

Argh, I am not liking how mention of Einhänder has someone turned the conversation from shmup chat to freaking boring SquareEnix RPG chat.

:p

Back on track... I honestly believe that the future of the shmup (in the West at least) is completely dependent on things like XBLA/PSN/VC & WiiWare, so I paid for and downloaded Triggerheart Exelica pretty much purely out of obligation for the genre... I've been very pleased to discover that it's actually pretty damn fun.

The genre is so tightly defined with so many similar games that I find a game has to be really bad for me to consider it bad. THE doesn't fall in the upper-echelons of shmup glory, but I sure am enjoying it. There's a certain visceral "feel" I enjoy in shmups that I'm getting from throwing huge enemy ships around!

Still not sure how I feel about shmups that automatically adjust certain aspects of their difficulty, though... I'm more of a 1CC kinda guy than a high scorer... that gets thrown for a loop if I think too hard about how I can make a 1CC run easier by deliberately not playing so good...

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
1CC seems easy if you make smart use of throwing enemies and only face the first level of each boss.

Not that I've actually accomplished that yet, but in theory.

gkryhewy

gkrykewy said:
I can't seem to get my score to show up in the leaderboards. Tried both beating the game (with continues) and letting the timer run out after one credit. Checked the leaderboards for both characters - nothing.

I've played several more times, and I still can't get any scores to show up in the leaderboards (says "NO ENTRY" for exelica normal difficulty, for example). I've gotten two achievements, and they show up fine.

I haven't adjusted any of the options in the settings menu except for the wallpaper. Any ideas?

I even tried deleting and re-downloading the game. This sucks.

EDIT:

shmups form said:
Yeah and as a matter of fact it appears as though you won't even register on the online board unless you are in the top 100. Leaves me out.

OH. Eek. Well, at least now I can stop trying to fix it on my end.

gkrykewy said:
I've played several more times, and I still can't get any scores to show up in the leaderboards (says "NO ENTRY" for exelica normal difficulty, for example). I've gotten two achievements, and they show up fine.

I haven't adjusted any of the options in the settings menu except for the wallpaper. Any ideas?

I even tried deleting and re-downloading the game. This sucks.

Apparently the leaderboards consist of only the top 100 players. If your score is not in the top 100, you won't show up.

It's quite retarded.

gkryhewy

SHOTEH FOCK OP said:
Apparently the leaderboards consist of only the top 100 players. If your score is not in the top 100, you won't show up.

It's quite retarded.

Yeah, thanks. Maybe if I can time a game so that it ends precisely at midnight GMT on a Sunday, I can sneak into a weekly ranking for about a minute and a half :lol

Bojangles

Bojangles said:
take my moneez plz kthxbye

Well, they got some of my abstract storage credits last night.

I've enjoyed what I've played so far (which is through the game once, not 1cc)

I'm finding it to be pretty fun, although I dont know how the fuck you're supposed to get past a couple of those levels with bullet hell (two come to mind, the final boss with all the falling shit, and the part with the massive "blocks" that just keep coming.

Will play again tonight on night duty with my 3wk old. joy for shmups.

Also: everyone saying "I'll wait for Ikaruga" are just shitty casuals latching on the popular "OMG I LIEK TREASURE I"M SO 1333337"

Jonnyram

LakeEarth said:
Besides the hint earlier about not whipping so much, there is another point... if you hold down the fire button while gold comes out, it doesn't automatically home in on you. Keep the button held down and the gold spins and gets gradually bigger and bigger while flying down the screen. Release fire and all the gold will fly at you, including a bit that has already flown off the bottom of the screen. You can see this in a few super plays on the net. Also use the sheld to get gold from bullets rather than bashing the enemies.

Vaxadrin

Banned
I have a question about the TATE mode in this game. When playing it vertically, it seems to be the perfect ratio to be rotated to fill a whole widescreen TV (9:16 vertical), but when playing it rotated, there's still letterbox bars, and the playing area seems more 4:3 size. Is it squished in either mode, or is it the same in both modes and it's just an optical illusion that they're two different aspect ratios?

Llyranor

I picked up the game. It's pretty fun, particularly the latter levels. It's not overly difficult, even though I do die a lot (spot the contradiction!). This seems like a good choice for a first 1CC trial (I've never tried that before).

Llyranor

Sorry for the bump.

Which is recommended, manual or auto-spinning of the anchor? I'm having some difficulty controlling it manually (since you have to abandon control of your ship while doing so), but it seems to be more versatile (and more accurate?). Auto works decently for me - it's just that sometimes I don't necessarily want to spin the enemy around me and just want to hold it in front as a shield instead. Any tips regarding this? 1cc'ing this will be tough for me :(

(or maybe I should degrade myself to easy mode :( )

Jonnyram

Damn, I got about 97 million when I got the true ending with Exelica :/
Back to the drawing board.
Still need to get the true ending with Crueltear, then I'll try shifting up the difficulty.

I am still using auto-rotate for the anchor. Definitely requires manual for the high scores, but I am still trying to get used to avoiding death while strategically using the anchor as it is.

Anyone know what the criteria are for getting more forms out of each boss? Is there some part you have to avoid destroying or is it related to time/gold?

i couldnt find this or omega five in arcade...naturally, i checked "shooter" genre. rez and one other game was in there. moved over to "arcade action" and there they were.

i think i'm gonna download omega 5. i liked the exelica demo but think i want something a bit fresher.

Durante

Jonnyram said:
Anyone know what the criteria are for getting more forms out of each boss? Is there some part you have to avoid destroying or is it related to time/gold?
From my experience I think it's completely based on gold, but I could be wrong.

Llyranor

Barkley's Justice said:
i couldnt find this or omega five in arcade...naturally, i checked "shooter" genre. rez and one other game was in there. moved over to "arcade action" and there they were.

i think i'm gonna download omega 5. i liked the exelica demo but think i want something a bit fresher.

I just bought both within the last 2 weeks (or was it the last week? I forget). Exelica is a pretty fun shmup, and the anchor makes for fun gameplay. It IS 'pretty short' if you just go with unlimited continues. My goal is 1cc (heck, I'll be humble and aim for easy diff 1st), which I'm pretty far from reaching, so the game will last me a very long time.

I have to say, though, that I'm having a lot more fun with Omega Five. For one thing, the lack of unlimited continues gives me the sense of not having already seen everything the game has to offer already. I haven't even gotten past the 2nd level yet, but I'm loving the game. The main reason for this is freaking co-op. If you like (local) co-op, Omega Five is definitely more worth it.

Jonnyram

I'm actually pretty close to 1 life completion in easy, but I don't know if it counts for anything, so I'm just trying to up my game to normal difficulty now. Got both the true endings and the high score achievements, though.

Bojangles

I'm playing on easy right now to try and get the fukcing 50M score acheivement. I beat the last boss and had 49.5M... and no end of stage bonus... fakkkk

Durante

Wait, you can get the true endings on easy? That's.... actually doable! For some reason I thought you'd only get them on normal or hard.

Gowans

just pulled the trigger on this, it makes for my now 70th XBLA games (inc free ones) gah!

Was really in the mood for a Shump tonight, played the demo, thought it was easy and fun but short, then re-read the thread.

Expecting 3-4 to be good stuff.

Impressions will come later

also why is this not under Shooter in the Genres???

Gowans

Man this game is going to be solid to 1 cred.

Not a ig fan off giving you the free play option of the bat, Omega Five got the balance perfect.

But as it was there bashed through the full thing and its bullet hell, getting to grips with the swing too really liking it but died so many times.

I'm using the focused shots girl and man I dont know how Im gonna get pas those last few stages.

Also whats the deal with the leaderboards, my score and my friends one doesnt seem to work at all?

Baka Zeitgeist

pluck my tasty grapes
Gowans007 said:
Man this game is going to be solid to 1 cred.

Not a ig fan off giving you the free play option of the bat, Omega Five got the balance perfect.

But as it was there bashed through the full thing and its bullet hell, getting to grips with the swing too really liking it but died so many times.

I'm using the focused shots girl and man I dont know how Im gonna get pas those last few stages.

Also whats the deal with the leaderboards, my score and my friends one doesnt seem to work at all?

Doesn't seem to have a leaderboard for friends, which sucks ass, also if you can't break the top 100 you don't get on the leaderboard, one of the worst things you can do for a Shmup is neuter the leaderboard :S

That said now that I found out I can play on easy I'm gonna work on getting the rest of the achivements.

Gowans

ItsInMyVeins said:
So, is the game any good?

Which one is best, this or Omega Five?

Omega Five is outstanding.

Baka Zeitgeist said:
Doesn't seem to have a leaderboard for friends, which sucks ass, also if you can't break the top 100 you don't get on the leaderboard, one of the worst things you can do for a Shmup is neuter the leaderboard :S

That said now that I found out I can play on easy I'm gonna work on getting the rest of the achivements.

All of teh leaderboards are there, Friends too just no scores recorded on them???

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
Only the Top 100 are in any of the leaderboards, including the friends one. It's stupid and broken and hopefully Warashi is fixing this. Every other XBLA game out there records every players score, I'm not sure how this got past the Microsoft certification process, as I thought that was to ensure a level of consistency with XBLA game features.

Gowans

Princess Skittles said:
Only the Top 100 are in any of the leaderboards, including the friends one. It's stupid and broken and hopefully Warashi is fixing this. Every other XBLA game out there records every players score, I'm not sure how this got past the Microsoft certification process, as I thought that was to ensure a level of consistency with XBLA game features.

yeah one of the key successes of XBLA has been the friends leaderboard battles, sure it was a standard requirement, sounds like a bug that needs fixing.

sneaky77

i downloaded the demo,... and is fun, hadnt played a shooter in a long while.. what's the trick to anchors any help how does that work an all?

Jonnyram

sneaky77 said:
i downloaded the demo,... and is fun, hadnt played a shooter in a long while.. what's the trick to anchors any help how does that work an all?
When you "grab" an enemy, it becomes a shield and has as much health left as it did when you grab it. Use it to soak up enemy bullets, or even enemy ships, and its health will gradually wear down until it explodes like usual. Any bullets you soak up this way will convert into gold. You don't get hurt if it explodes while you're grabbing it, but if you release it before it explodes, you'll get more gold.

sneaky77

Jonnyram said:
When you "grab" an enemy, it becomes a shield and has as much health left as it did when you grab it. Use it to soak up enemy bullets, or even enemy ships, and its health will gradually wear down until it explodes like usual. Any bullets you soak up this way will convert into gold. You don't get hurt if it explodes while you're grabbing it, but if you release it before it explodes, you'll get more gold.

Thanks.. that clears up some stuff lol.

Llyranor

The game is 30 min long if you use unlimited continues. Which is beside the point, since other genres don't really have god mode on by default. I still haven't been able to 1cc it (not that it's too too hard, I'm just not particularly good at shmups - or maybe I don't use the bombs enough).

As a shmup, I've heard 1942 isn't very good. Exelica isn't the best shmup ever, but I think it's still pretty good, and the hookshot mechanic is good fun.

Wehrwolf

Just got the PS2 'Enhanced' port of this game.

I like the story and voice bits being added to it, kinda like if Steam Hearts actually had a good game attached to it.

However, the ending seems to be the sort of ending I'd get for doing poorly in the game... Anyone know if there's a better ending for doing well? ^^;

Top Bottom