• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Poted Shoot-Em-Up Triggerheart Exelica Official Thread

Pimpbaa said:
No such thing as good loli art. Either you are repulsed by it's depiction of sexualized child looking characters, or you are a pedophile.

Hey, hey, way to throw your morals around. That's just a bit extreme isn't it?

I think there is a difference between actual pedophile art and the relatively tame Exelica loli art. Exelica is more 'moe" than sexual.

Japan is a child-like nation and it is only natural that they represent their heroes/characters as more child-like compared to the Western mean. And in Japan, a nation with relatively ambiguous morals compared to the West, sexy is often times = cute. So you can be sexy and cute without spiraling into depravity. Although there are those who choose to take that path. But most normal, healthy Japanese otaku won't see it that way. Cultural differences my man!

soldat7

I just bought the game and do not regret my purchase. I love it.

(I wonder if I can turn my 42-inch LCD on its side...wife would kill me though :D )

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Pimpbaa said:
No such thing as good loli art. Either you are repulsed by it's depiction of sexualized child looking characters, or you are a pedophile.

Yes, because just like the rest of life, it's black and white.

LowParry

I tried the demo. It was pretty easy. Didn't die once and cleared the stage. There is a harder difficulty right? And if the demo is a stage, that's pretty damn short. Still debating if I want to get it or not.

Durante

slidewinder said:
Thanks, that's very interesting and useful information.

I didn't even realize for most of my playing time that the boss patterns depended on the number of medals collected. Should make my 1cc try a lot easier.

monoRAIL said:
Also the anchor is very interesting. I find myself using only the anchor, unless there are ground targets on screen that I need to clear, or during the fast waves of enemies that try to crash into you, when you need to use the regular gun.
Yeah, I was also playing like that up to now, but the information regarding the multiplier would seem to discourage this.

monoRAIL said:
Has anyone tried using the manual swing? I wonder if there's some secret advantage to using this over the auto-swing?
I tried it for one game, but I came to the same conclusion you did: it's not worth it. After a few games you always hit whatever you want to hit with the auto-swing anyway. The only thing I'd like as an improvement is if you could influence the initial direction of the auto-swing in some way.

FWIW, I'm enjoying this game a lot more than Omega Five.

aku:jiki

Bebpo said:
The only companies that make a real AAA shmup these days are Treasure and Cave IMO. Though I liked the gameplay system behind Karas (slashing bullets; aka NMH). Omega Five was great though, so Natsume gets props!
How the hell are you going to leave out the kings of gods, G.Rev? They easily rival Cave and their games are far better than any memory-puzzle Treasure calls a shooter.

Pimpbaa said:
Are the only people that like shooters now are pedophiles (going by art in other recent shooters)?
It is an unfortunate trend that has taken over "hardcore gaming" in Japan. It's in all shmups, and every doujin game now is competing to be the most "moe." It's too bad, really. Feels like the devs have no confidence in their skills and feel that they must include that shit to get people to play their games, and that's just so far from the truth.

aku:jiki said:
How the hell are you going to leave out the kings of gods, G.Rev? They easily rival Cave and their games are far better than any memory-puzzle Treasure calls a shooter.

It is an unfortunate trend that has taken over "hardcore gaming" in Japan. It's in all shmups, and every doujin game now is competing to be the most "moe." It's too bad, really. Feels like the devs have no confidence in their skills and feel that they must include that shit to get people to play their games, and that's just so far from the truth.

It's a trend, and the Devs themselves probably like it. I don't think it's a question of confidence. But yeah, "moe" is going to be with us for sometime.

womp

CcrooK said:
I tried the demo. It was pretty easy. Didn't die once and cleared the stage. There is a harder difficulty right? And if the demo is a stage, that's pretty damn short. Still debating if I want to get it or not.

Right but uh, what was your score at the end of the stage? It's not so much in beating a game like this than your overall performance in one.

Triggerheart is OK but I'd love to see DonPachi/DonDonPachi on here.

Mamesj

Banned
memecomplex said:
Hey, hey, way to throw your morals around. That's just a bit extreme isn't it?

I think there is a difference between actual pedophile art and the relatively tame Exelica loli art. Exelica is more 'moe" than sexual.

Japan is a child-like nation and it is only natural that they represent their heroes/characters as more child-like compared to the Western mean. And in Japan, a nation with relatively ambiguous morals compared to the West, sexy is often times = cute. So you can be sexy and cute without spiraling into depravity. Although there are those who choose to take that path. But most normal, healthy Japanese otaku won't see it that way. Cultural differences my man!

I don't know...there's "moe" then there's gratuitous panty shots. Maybe panty shots aren't weird in Japan, but here we aren't into panty shots and racks on pre-pubescent girls :lol

but w/e, it's about the gameplay. I have accepted that shmups have really strange art...

Vaxadrin

Banned
Mamesj said:
I don't know...there's "moe" then there's gratuitous panty shots. Maybe panty shots aren't weird in Japan, but here we aren't into panty shots and racks on pre-pubescent girls :lol

but w/e, it's about the gameplay. I have accepted that shmups have really strange art...

Gratuitous is definitely the word. I was playing this last night, and my reactions were. "Oh cool, I beat the first level. Oh wow...that's unneccessary. This is rated E?"

RyanDG

Vaxadrin said:
"Oh cool, I beat the first level. Oh wow...that's unneccessary. This is rated E?"

To be fair, it's E10+ - have to keep the rating in line with the age of the pilots, you know? :D

LiK

Vaxadrin said:
Gratuitous is definitely the word. I was playing this last night, and my reactions were. "Oh cool, I beat the first level. Oh wow...that's unneccessary. This is rated E?"

i'm too busy concentrating on the bullets. not sure what you guys are looking at :lol

Tain

"Easily rival Cave" isn't the term I'd use, but they're definitely pretty awesome. At least, Border Down is amazing and Under Defeat is really good. Mamoru-kun looks kinda sloppy, but I'd be surprised if it turns out as shitty as location test videos would lead me to believe. I love Senko no Ronde, too, but that's pretty far from a shooter.

Treasure is kinda middle of the road, though, yeah.

Mamesj

Banned
what's that one old arcade shmup where you can choose teams of 3 and some of the teams are cops and some of them are criminals? That game fucking rules.

anyway, now that I've done my part with THE and Omega 5 (and soon to be Ikaruga), I'd like to see a shmup resurrection on the 360. :D I mean, how much can these games possibly cost to develop? They sell for full price in Japan, where they sell out of the whole printing, and then the code just sits there, so they should port all of them.

Just thought I'd share my thoughts on THE, real quick.

I played the demo last night and I passed on buying this. Good music (I like the boss music), and the graphics were a lot better than I thought they would be. Gameplay was fun and very familliar. The weapons are both my style. As a shooter fan, the game was good but not different enough from what I already have elsewhere, but unique for someone who only has XBLA. I'm also holding out for Ikaruga.

In the end, the deciding factor was the level being so short for only having five levels total in the whole game. Omega Five has only four levels, but the character moves so slowly through it, that you get more game time for each stage. THE's first stage ended too quickly for my taste.

RyanDG

Mamesj said:
what's that one old arcade shmup where you can choose teams of 3 and some of the teams are cops and some of them are criminals? That game fucking rules.

Armed Police Batrider?

LiK

Mamesj said:

anyway, now that I've done my part with THE and Omega 5 (and soon to be Ikaruga), I'd like to see a shmup resurrection on the 360. :D I mean, how much can these games possibly cost to develop? They sell for full price in Japan, where they sell out of the whole printing, and then the code just sits there, so they should port all of them.

well, we know Ikaruga is coming and i heard there's a Raiden game (rumors) too. but i hope we get some classics like DonDonPachi and GigaWing along with Sengoku Cannon 2 and Raiden Jet Fighters. there's just not enough shmups out there! :D

noonche

Tain said:
Yeah, I kinda jumped the gun on that one. I blame slow page loading. :eek:

Really, though, it's a weird move. Won't that be the first non-arcade game they've developed? Save maybe Steep Slope Sliders, but I don't remember if that was an arcade title or not.

Actually, Cave is the primary developer on Shin Megami Tensei: IMAGINE. Unfortunately, working with good monster designs on that project didn't prevent crap like Pink Sweets or that stupid loli-goth shooter.

As for Trigger Heart, it's alright. I'd put it in the middle for DC shooters, with GigaWing 2 and Mars Matrix being at the top, and crap like Gun Bird 2 and Under Defeat at the bottom. But then again, I love bullet-hell shooters and hate (HATE!) traditional ones.

RyanDG

LiK said:
well, we know Ikaruga is coming and i heard there's a Raiden game too. but i hope we get some classics like DonDonPachi and GigaWing along with Sengoky Cannon 2 and Raiden Jet Fighters. there's just not enough shmups out there! :D

Raiden Fighters Aces is a disc compilation of Raiden Fighters, Raiden Fighters 2, and Raiden Fighters Jet along with an INH superplay DVD of all 3 games for the Xbox 360. I'm looking forward to it myself... I'm hoping that someone in the US gets brave and brings it over.

LiK

alske said:
Actually, Cave is the primary developer on Shin Megami Tensei: IMAGINE. Unfortunately, working with good monster designs on that project didn't prevent crap like Pink Sweets or that stupid loli-goth shooter.

As for Trigger Heart, it's alright. I'd put it in the middle for DC shooters, with GigaWing 2 and Mars Matrix being at the top, and crap like Gun Bird 2 and Under Defeat at the bottom. But then again, I love bullet-hell shooters and hate (HATE!) traditional ones.

no love for Raiden 2? ;_;

RyanDG said:
Raiden Fighters Aces is a disc compilation of Raiden Fighters, Raiden Fighters 2, and Raiden Fighters Jet along with an INH superplay DVD of all 3 games for the Xbox 360. I'm looking forward to it myself... I'm hoping that someone in the US gets brave and brings it over.

omg, if it was region-free i would get that!

Mamesj

Banned
Dark Octave said:
Just thought I'd share my thoughts on THE, real quick.

I played the demo last night and I passed on buying this. Good music (I like the boss music), and the graphics were a lot better than I thought they would be. Gameplay was fun and very familliar. The weapons are both my style. As a shooter fan, the game was good but not different enough from what I already have elsewhere, but unique for someone who only has XBLA. I'm also holding out for Ikaruga.

In the end, the deciding factor was the level being so short for only having five levels total in the whole game. Omega Five has only four levels, but the character moves so slowly through it, that you get more game time for each stage. THE's first stage ended too quickly for my taste.

Each time I read "the demo sucked, not buying it" I die a little inside. Stages 3,4,5 will keep you more than busy. They are really freaking good.

and most shmups have like 5-10 stages anyway, so I'm not sure how "too short" is a valid complaint.

Armed Police Batrider?

yes! That's the one. so cool. It even had branching paths.

RyanDG

Dark Octave said:
They need to talk with SquareEnix about getting Einhander ported. But to be honest, I'd rather see that go to PSN.

Am I completely off my rocker, or isn't Einhander already up as a PS1 PSN download in Japan?

noonche

LiK said:
no love for Raiden 2? ;_;

omg, if it was region-free i would get that!

If by love you mean abject loathing and hatred, then yes. About the closest I come to liking traditional shooters is liking Thunderforce 3, 4 and the original Donpachi. My top 5 shooters would be ESPGaluda, Gigawing 2, Mars Matrix, Rajirugi and Daioujou.

LiK

Princess Skittles said:
Probably not, Square-Enix doesn't want their games on download services.

shame, i love Einhander. i loved the game so much that i bought the OST way back when.

Mamesj said:
Each time I read "the demo sucked, not buying it" I die a little inside. Stages 3,4,5 will keep you more than busy. They are really freaking good.

and most shmups have like 5-10 stages anyway, so I'm not sure how "too short" is a valid complaint.
I'd say 8 levels is average. But those extra 3 or 4 levels makes a huge difference IMO. That's like an extra half of the game almost. Even if they just made the 5 levels they had, last a little longer, I would have made a purchase (I am of course assuming that the other 4 levels are as short as the first one).

But I will look further into it and youtube level 3 later tonight. If it's as good as you say it is, then I'll spend $10. I really do wanna support 2D shooters on 360. I just don't wanna be stuck with something I'll breeze through in less than 20 minutes my first play through.

Vaxadrin said:
Square-Enix is not too fond of giving older Square fans the games they want to play.
Your actually right about that. How long have we been screaming and kicking for a FFVII remake on a next gen console, yet they keep releasing other things and even an expansion/re-do of FFXII. Nobody asked for that. Give us a new FFVII!

A new Einhander wouldn't hurt either. Probably take 6 months to a year for them to finish.

noonche

Mamesj said:
If this is Radirgy, Radiolgy, Radio Allergy, etc. then the game officially has the most spellings I've ever seen.

Yeah, that's it. I can never remember the romanization for it.

Dark Octave said:
I'd say 8 levels is average. But those extra 3 or 4 levels makes a huge difference IMO. That's like an extra half of the game almost. Even if they just made the 5 levels they had, last a little longer, I would have made a purchase (I am of course assuming that the other 4 levels are as short as the first one).

But I will look further into it and youtube level 3 later tonight. If it's as good as you say it is, then I'll spend $10. I really do wanna support 2D shooters on 360. I just don't wanna be stuck with something I'll breeze through in less than 20 minutes my first play through.

I actually prefer shorter shooters. What's fun about playing shooters to me is shooting for perfection (1CC or high-score) and overcoming the insane challenges thrown at you. Typically if a shooter takes more than about 30 minutes to finish I don't stick with it very long. It takes me too long to get back to where I died last time and I don't feel like I'm making progress (see: Gradius V). Definitely part of the reason why GW2 and ESPGaluda are my favorite shooters.

Vaxadrin

Banned
Dark Octave said:
Your actually right about that. How long have we been screaming and kicking for a FFVII remake on a next gen console, yet they keep releasing other things and even an expansion/re-do of FFXII. Nobody asked for that. Give us a new FFVII!

A new Einhander wouldn't hurt either. Probably take 6 months to a year for them to finish.

Us:
"We want next-gen FF7!"
"We want Vangrant Story!"
"We want Einhander!"
"We want Bushido Blade!"

Them:
"Ok...how about....FFX-2?"

Vaxadrin said:
Us:
"We want next-gen FF7!"
"We want Vangrant Story!"
"We want Einhander!"
"We want Bushido Blade!"

Them:
"Ok...how about....FFX-2?"

FFX-2 is great actually. I'd take it over 3 out of the 4 games you listed.

alske said:
Yeah, that's it. I can never remember the romanization for it.

I actually prefer shorter shooters. What's fun about playing shooters to me is shooting for perfection (1CC or high-score) and overcoming the insane challenges thrown at you. Typically if a shooter takes more than about 30 minutes to finish I don't stick with it very long. It takes me too long to get back to where I died last time and I don't feel like I'm making progress (see: Gradius V). Definitely part of the reason why GW2 and ESPGaluda are my favorite shooters.
Since there is no save feature in shooters. Good point. I can agree. At the same time though, I have also played shooters to where almost every level is so fun, I looked forward to diving in again, no matter how long it was. I guess for me it depends on the game.

Princess Skittles said:
Older Square fans generally do NOT want a Final Fantasy VII remake.
I personally would rather have a sequel to Advent Children in the form of an RPG but all I hear is cries for a remake. I haven't heard too many people who said they didn't want one. Maybe I haven't been paying attention to them.

Top Bottom