• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The potential of PS5’s Share Screen feature makes me very excited for next-gen

Are you excited for the future of PS5’s share screen?

• Yes

Votes: 105 53.6%
  • No

Votes: 68 34.7%
  • Depends

Votes: 23 11.7%

• Total voters
I don’t think this feature will last enough with streaming apps like Twitch or Youtube (if they are even supported) because you’ll want to focus on the game, but I think it’s a game changer for some experiences like teaching someone how to do a Destiny raid. The ease of checking someone else’s view is awesome.

It's not for me and I can't see myself ever using it, however I think it's a cool and innovative feature that I'm sure many others will use 🙂

(I don't play online/multi-player or do anything social at all when gaming, 100% solo)

Traxtech

Personal game changer for me, some of my friends aren't exactly good at directions in co op games , so being able to direct them in real time is fucking fantastic if I'm not next to them in game

DavidGzz

If you can watch youtube or twitch in that manner, yes, it will be awesome. If it's just people on your friends list it's not.

TLZ

Banned
If only I had a screen on me at all times, one that I could search the net on, message people, watch streams and do a million other things on. What a future...
1 device (TV) with 2 screens is much easier than watching on 2 different devices.

These additions I've seen so far on PS5 are great QOL additions. I don't know why or how anyone would not want them. Anything that makes the user experience much easier, simpler and seamless is welcome.

Last edited:

Warablo

Microsoft took away this feature this gen because no one used it and took up too much resources. I used it once in awhile to watch Twitch/Youtube, but it sucked because it was so tiny and the audio mix was trash.

Last edited:
I guarantee that I will never use this even once and imagine most people will be in the same boat.

The new ui looked good but I hope that resources aren’t set aside for stuff the majority won’t use or that you can disable things you find useless.

Tomeru

If only I had a screen on me at all times, one that I could search the net on, message people, watch streams and do a million other things on. What a future...

I think the point is to not take you eyes off the screen while doing some of those things.

93xfan

Banned
Really neat feature. Not sure how it will affect MP games if you and your teammate can coordinate that way. Maybe it can be turned off for some games if it creates an unfair advantage?

Thinking of R6 Siege and someone who’s dead showing you the cameras Without you needing to lower your guard

supernova8

Banned
Are you as upbeat about it as I am?

Honestly not really. Kinda reminds me of that bit during the Xbox One reveal where they were showing someone calling the guy from Skype while he was playing a game/watching a movie. I remember thinking "No fuck that, I want to play my game".

BUT

I guess I could see it being good in the following situation:

I'm playing a long session of Demons Souls (I actually hate the Souls games but let's just use it for now) and I've had enough of dying. Right at the most opportune time my mate Derek sends me a share screen invite. I pause my game and chat with him while I watch him play his game. When I feel like going back into Demons Souls I can leave his share screen and seamlessly resume playing.

I think I probably won't use it most of the time but yeah cool perhaps! Not like they're going to force me to use it.

One thing I would like is to be able to plug in a 64 GB USB stick and record 4K footage at a nice bitrate. Not sure they will allow that but we'll see.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
The Pro already saved 4k screenshots I thought? Or am I misremembering?

Yes, but very few games look screenshot-worthy. I loved The Crew game but that looked like shit even on the Pro:

The-Crew-2-20180713152317.png

Last edited:

thelastword

Banned
Great thread Bryank. I think the PS5's share button video is going to be it's own megaton, amongst other reveals......If Kingthrash can put up a neat video in quicktime all through the PS4 Sharefactory, imagine what he can do with the PS5's new authoring/editing tools and software at 4K 60fps......HDR etc....This future video will definitely light the proverbial fire....

yeah so jelly of PiP... Brings back those memories in the 90s playing sonic the hedge hog in the corner of my grandpa‘s massive 50 inch rear projection tv....

so fucking cutting edge!
Cool story. enjoy it bro . No one is preventing u . I m happy for my choice I ll have a next gen ui to go with my next gen system .

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Cool story. enjoy it bro . No one is preventing u . I m happy for my choice I ll have a next gen ui to go with my next gen system .

”next gen ui”

PiP is so antiquated it’s not even in TVs anymore. Maybe Sony will bring back 3D glasses in the next PS as well. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

DJT123

Please keep these geek ass PC Twitchesque features away from my console, Sony:messenger_fearful:

Last edited:

Warnen

More salt. Enjoy ur x1x-2 bud 🤣🤣. No one is preventing u. Cheers

Ill pass, I’ll enjoy the next gen UI on a 30 year old tv just fine :messenger_tears_of_joy:

btw typed this using next gen ui on my iPad, had family guy playing in the corner. How amazing it truly is....

nowhat

The Pro already saved 4k screenshots I thought? Or am I misremembering?
It does, the video capture is capped at 1080p though.

(on a semi-related note, if you're thinking about sharing PS4 screenshots, or just make nicer wallpapers for your own pleasure, please change the screenshot format from JPG to PNG, this can be done in "Share Settings" in the share menu)

Last edited:

Zathalus

I don't have much interest in the streaming scene so not excited personally. However, I do think it is a great feature that other people might enjoy.

Ill pass, I’ll enjoy the next gen UI on a 30 year old tv just fine :messenger_tears_of_joy:

btw typed this using next gen ui on my iPad, had family guy playing in the corner. How amazing it truly is....
Oh so u were using pip cause its convenient but u had to throw salt when its done properly in a game console . Got it. Anyways I m done with conversation. Cheers

Sounds like what Discord has had for about a year now. It’s a decent feature, for instance when me and a friend were playing SnowRunner we were able to broadcast our perspectives. Not much of a game changer though.

Warnen

Oh so u were using pip cause its convenient but u had to throw salt when its done properly in a game console . Got it. Anyways I m done with conversation. Cheers

Well before Sony added it to the Ps5 I didn’t even know it existed. Now I’m a convert to “next gen ui”, even if it’s been around for 30 years and has been removed from many devices that used to use it.

Let my jelloious get the best of me, who wouldn’t want a part of the screen to be covered so I can listen to the Trash Taste anime podcast while playing Destiny. Not like there is a way to do that with out taking up screen real-estate, maybe a small device with tiny speakers that fit into your ears... in this dream world maybe they could be wireless as well....

We can dream.

FunkMiller

Honestly not really. Kinda reminds me of that bit during the Xbox One reveal where they were showing someone calling the guy from Skype while he was playing a game/watching a movie. I remember thinking "No fuck that, I want to play my game".

BUT

I guess I could see it being good in the following situation:

I'm playing a long session of Demons Souls (I actually hate the Souls games but let's just use it for now) and I've had enough of dying. Right at the most opportune time my mate Derek sends me a share screen invite. I pause my game and chat with him while I watch him play his game. When I feel like going back into Demons Souls I can leave his share screen and seamlessly resume playing.

I think I probably won't use it most of the time but yeah cool perhaps! Not like they're going to force me to use it.

One thing I would like is to be able to plug in a 64 GB USB stick and record 4K footage at a nice bitrate. Not sure they will allow that but we'll see.

I think it’ll be even better than that. You’ll be able to get Derek to come over to your world and help you stop dying...

The Dark Souls community is going to fucking love this new level of integration.

Last edited:

Yoboman

Well before Sony added it to the Ps5 I didn’t even know it existed. Now I’m a convert to “next gen ui”, even if it’s been around for 30 years and has been removed from many devices that used to use it.

Let my jelloious get the best of me, who wouldn’t want a part of the screen to be covered so I can listen to the Trash Taste anime podcast while playing Destiny. Not like there is a way to do that with out taking up screen real-estate, maybe a small device with tiny speakers that fit into your ears... in this dream world maybe they could be wireless as well....

We can dream.
Are you still going?

Kuranghi

I really can't ses a single use case for this.
I never ever had a moment where any friend wanted to watch me play a game on the edge of his screen or vise versa.

the Xbox One had a very similar feature that was so rarely used by anyone that they ultimately killed it in order to free up resources for more liked, wanted and used festures
When it comes to gaming I'm very anti-social, so I never ever going to touch any of those social media features, but Its good for people who care.
It's not for me and I can't see myself ever using it, however I think it's a cool and innovative feature that I'm sure many others will use 🙂

(I don't play online/multi-player or do anything social at all when gaming, 100% solo)
1 device (TV) with 2 screens is much easier than watching on 2 different devices.

These additions I've seen so far on PS5 are great QOL additions. I don't know why or how anyone would not want them. Anything that makes the user experience much easier, simpler and seamless is welcome.

I also play only singpleplayer, never had PS Plus and even my flatmate who has a PS4 I don't think we are even friends for chatting, etc lol mostly because we'd just use discord or shout through the house (I'm trying to stop doing this, I'm getting better lol), we have no women in the house so the WAF is currently not considered, if it was it would be permanently set at 1000 (The maximum possible value).

Anyway, my point is that I will now use this feature to bother my flatmate into viewing every thing I find exciting in my game, no longer will this scenario occur:

Kuranghi: "Hey mate, come and check THIS out, its amazing"
Flatmate: "Begrudgingly gets up and comes in to see what I'm trying to show him"
*comes in to find me showing him an out of context event from my game that is confusing to him and requires too much explanation*

Now I can just send him constant, irritating requests to view my mostly personally meaningful to me only, in-game moments!

He won't be able to escape! Muhahahaha!

I also like the idea of being able to give more subtle hints to people via this, by just showing them in-game how to solve/start solving a puzzle. Instead of a spoilerific description of what to do, I know some people are shit at giving hints.

Kuranghi

That was a completely different TV technology than what we have now lol you can't compare that to modern LCD/OLED TVs.

The reason they took out PiP from LCD TVs (Or stalled the progress and left it as is features-wise, like on Sony and LG TVs) is because these higher resolutions (Especially sub native res on 4K sets) require a lot more video processing to present it without adding too much input lag. So there isn't a lot of processing power left over to be rendering mutiple windows with proper scaling and the like.

Last edited:
My first thought when watching it was that if I play a simple online game like Fall Guys with my friend, we can have each other's viewpoints on screen in a little unused corner at all times. I don't have to ask him if he readied up, if he's in the lobby, if he made it through, ect. It's all right there on the screen.

The same could be said for something like Rocket League. Having your teammate's viewpoint at all times lets you know where they are, get a closer sight on the action if you're downfield, ect. It just remains to be seen how many games and their UI's will allow for a fraction of the screen to be taken up by such a thing without losing info you needed to see.

That wouldn't work for RL. Would just be a distraction.

Relativ9

If they integrate this with Discord so that friends that I can be in rooms with friends who are on PC and they can watch my PS5 stream that would be epic, otherwise I don't see myself using it much since the amount of friends I care to "hang out" with on voice chat that also play Playstation regularly is low (but quite high on PC/Discord).

Spaceman292

Banned
The Share Screen feature was showcased during PS5’s UI reveal today, the feature allows you to share and stream live games with your friends while playing any game. There are many useful possibilities this feature brings from our limited knowledge of it. For example you can use this feature to simulate local splitscreen co-op in multiplayer games. You could also use this feature to give your friend tips on a game and walk him through a section live while you yourself are playing a different game...

Here is a gif for a better idea on how it looks in action:

The footage can be pinned side-by-side, simulating splitcreen co-op or picture-in-picture around the screen. All that sounds great and I’m sure you’ve already imagined great ways to use it with your friends but what really makes this feature interesting is the built in versatility it has. Imagine using this feature when playing a game while watching your favorite streamer on Twitch, or your favorite Youtube podcast without the need to get off your couch for a second screen. Likewise, imagine watching your favorite Youtube channel for trophy hunting when hunting for those hard-to-get trophies. What about video conferencing with friends or family while playing the game? Endless possibilities with an already built-in functionality.

Are you as upbeat about it as I am?

This guy definitely works for Sony

Yoboman

You already know where your teammates are if they're rotating properly. You only ever really use the cam to avoid potential demos.
Sometimes team mates are out of position and a solo play is better than a wasted pass that you're hoping your TM is there for

Or they can be up on the wall in your blind spot and there's an accidental double commit

Sometimes you might not realise they have been demoed

You can get a clearer idea of their amount of boost

Lots of good uses for it

Sometimes team mates are out of position and a solo play is better than a wasted pass that you're hoping your TM is there for

Or they can be up on the wall in your blind spot and there's an accidental double commit

Sometimes you might not realise they have been demoed

You can get a clearer idea of their amount of boost

Lots of good uses for it

In lower ranks perhaps.

I'm not seeing how that could be better than simply being in comms. Taking your eyes off your pov even for a split second is enough to cost you to get beat in a 1v1, mistime a jump, lose an aerial, miss a boost pad etc. Any distraction, anything that slows you down in high level RL is a death sentence.

Top Bottom