• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'The Predator' Teaser Trailer

cryptoadam

Banned
They will never catch the lightning in the bottle that was the first one. That was peak Arnold and peak 80's machismo action.

Even the second one can't be matched. It was a step down but took things in a different direction and expanded on the lore.

This will be meh.

NahaNago

I'm kinda mixed on this movie. I like the banter but I also liked the serious tones of the one's in the past. I'm still looking forward to it. If they are willing to go this different in style then have the Predators face other warriors from different era's and countries. I'd like to see predators face off against samurai, kickboxing, or kung fu.

Fox Mulder

This looks okay.

You can't really do a horror movie now, everyone knows what a predator is and does.

Predators are cool as shit with lore and neat tech. Let me see that in a film with them ripping up dudes instead of going down the same old path.

Geki-D

Banned
Well at least it has gore. Though I don't see much point in turning a staple of horror action into a buddy comedy.

I don't think I'm an old man yelling at clouds here, but maybe I am?
There's tonnes of awesome modern music and games. Why are so many modern movies shit? That looks fucking revolting.

Last edited:
like it does look like it could be fun but yeah it will never be as good and have that magic as the original one. also you know a movie is going to be crap when they have like an animal version of the original creature and fucking hybrids

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.

NEW/FINAL trailer.

At least we're getting more footage of their space ships. Thats the weird thing with Alien and Predator for me:

Alien works best when you don't know a lot and leave it to mystery/imagination. But we end up getting 2 prequels completely detailing their origins.

Predator has all kinds of cool lore including their planet(s), their technology, their cultures, other species that they hunt, and we barely get glimpses of it. Its totally unexplored outside comics.

Sub_Level

This movie was shit. My god.

I don't have high standards for a predator movie. I'm a fan and just wanted a decent action flick. I got a comedy instead.

Sub_Level

The reviews are not looking good.

The movie was written by a 12 year old.

There were some cool action scenes and its great how they expanded on Predator tech and civilization, but it apparently came at the cost of treating everything else like a Made for TV movie.

In hindsight the Danny Glover movie wasn't so bad. Jesus christ.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
It was enjoyable and meh at the same time. Really comedic and over the top with action.

Honestly that reminds me of every predator movie. Even the first one was super over the top in its sillyness. I am going to see it this weekend, but even the worst Predator movie still remains a dumb fun film to watch and turn my brain off in.

Though nothing will come to the glory that was AvP or AvP2 in terms of making Predators amazingly cool.

NahaNago

Honestly that reminds me of every predator movie. Even the first one was super over the top in its sillyness. I am going to see it this weekend, but even the worst Predator movie still remains a dumb fun film to watch and turn my brain off in.

Though nothing will come to the glory that was AvP or AvP2 in terms of making Predators amazingly cool.

That is true. I'd love another AvP movie. Unfortunately I don't think this movie will do well and Olivia Munn isn't helping things. I really just want a predator on predator movie with next to no humans. Almost horror like.

Ulysses 31

The movie was written by a 12 year old.

There were some cool action scenes and its great how they expanded on Predator tech and civilization, but it apparently came at the cost of treating everything else like a Made for TV movie.

In hindsight the Danny Glover movie wasn't so bad. Jesus christ.
All the promotional material wasn't enough to discourage you seeing in cinema's? >.>

Xisiqomelir

Not an expert on CGI costing but how is it Hollywood has never figured we have absolutely zero desire to hear humans babble inanities at each other for any part of these movies?

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
Just got back from seeing this. It was amazing! By far the best Predator movie since the first one. My son (who's 16) thought it was better. It really nails the action, comedy and character development. It doesn't have the suspense of the first movie, but it makes up for it in other areas imo. Anyone complaining about the end, the part they're talking about is the last 2 minutes of the movie after the main events are over. It's the same situation as the Predalien at the end of AvP. Some people may not like it, but it didn't detract from the core movie at all. It's a good movie and if you're a fan of Predator, you should go see it.

It was alright - on par with the other sequels, I'd say. The first half gave me severe Predator 2 vibes (no surprise Jake Busey is in it), while the second half was all over the place honestly (from Predators to AvP2). Never really got any Predator 1 vibes outside of the soundtrack, however.

Nitpicks:
- Scientists calling the creature "Predator" instead of Yautja just seems ignorant at this point, especially in light of the "Hunter" joke (which, admittedly, was cute - it was the original name of the first film).
- The helmet's laser is for target acquisition. The actual cannon is on the Yautja's shoulder. Still, it made for a pretty cool scene so I see why they retconned it.
- Not sure if this is a nitpick but Olivia Munn's acting is... not great, to put it as nicely as possible.

Lastly, it had potential for a really awesome ending but it just ends up being something dumb. Spoilers:
Our minds were racing with the possibilities of what was in the pod from the very beginning of the movie. "It has to be an Arnold cameo." As the movie continued and the genetic hybrid subplot was revealed, we started thinking it was an Arnold/Yautja hybrid. Nope, just a gauntlet that turns into a suit. :\ Edit: WOW turns out that was exactly what was originally going to be in the pod. http://collider.com/arnold-schwarzenegger-the-predator/

Last edited:

EBE

This shit ain't no predator film that's for sure. It's transformers. How ANYONE could say this is better than Predator 2 is beyond me (predators, sure, maybe, but even then, nah). Bad movie, man. Stay away

Mr Hyde

This movie is getting ripped a new one by both critics and the fans. Not surprised since the trailers were godawful. Maybe catch in on Netflix a couple of years down the line. Predator 2 is still the best of the bunch.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
It is enjoyable, but objectively its a truly terrible movie. Zero characterization beyond superficial type, the plot is a mess, deeply stupid and full of illogical actions and incredible contrivances to set things up. There is no tension, no sense of threat, and despite the pretty high levels of gore and all-round mayhem, it plays more like a comedy than a thriller. Its tone is genuinely quite strange, it feels like a kids movie with lashings of R-rated swearing and violence.

i saw it and it was okay. i didnt hate it but its nothing special its on par with like an avp and you could even say at least those were a bit more entertaining. also i hate when movies have like a secondary villain or something and for the whole movie is like some hard ass and then they kill him off like a punk

oh yeah i thought olivia munn looked good in this movie. i never found her hot but when she has her hair up her face looks oddly skinny

Last edited:

Sub_Level

oh yeah i thought olivia munn looked good in this movie. i never found her hot but when she has her hair up her face looks oddly skinny

She did look good but she has the Dicaprio Effect. Whenever she's on screen I see Olivia Munn, not the character she's supposed to be.

i saw it and it was okay. i didnt hate it but its nothing special its on par with like an avp and you could even say at least those were a bit more entertaining. also i hate when movies have like a secondary villain or something and for the whole movie is like some hard ass and then they kill him off like a punk

Yeah I saw that she's in it but I was shocked when I saw that she's 38 now O_O

Can't believe attack of the show was that long ago. Feelsoldman

She has good bone structure, but it just throws me off because her lips look a lot bigger than they used to be like she got a botox injection in her lips or something.

I enjoyed it.....but they did waste a bunch of interesting charactors.....which I suppose is similar to part one
Gonna be interesting to see the deleted scenes as apparently the whole third act was changed and there were multiple predators

Edit
Didn't realize Thomas Jane was in it....he looks pretty different these days

Last edited:

Viliger

It has more of a Commando vibe than Predator. Non stop infinite action with one-liners here and there, even if most of them were fart jokes. Dumb, single watch movie, but enjoyable one for how dumb it is.

Last edited:

navii

My fantasy is that my girlfriend was actually a young high school girl.
It is enjoyable, but objectively its a truly terrible movie. Zero characterization beyond superficial type, the plot is a mess, deeply stupid and full of illogical actions and incredible contrivances to set things up. There is no tension, no sense of threat, and despite the pretty high levels of gore and all-round mayhem, it plays more like a comedy than a thriller. Its tone is genuinely quite strange, it feels like a kids movie with lashings of R-rated swearing and violence.

I went into the movie with only the memory of this post as my exposure to it, didn't even know who was in it, I agree its a comedy. Saw it with a buddy and we both had a good laugh. I like a simple movie that does not try to pretend like its smarter than its audience, it felt a bit 80s. Olivia Munn looked distractingly like an ex of mine, I remember people complaining that she is a bad actress, she is actually pretty good.

LordPezix

This is a fucking terrible movie... Like I don't even know how this was even approved at any level of decision making.

Top Bottom