• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The PS4 Can Now Play Most of the 2D Castlevanias

ManaByte

With the release of the Castlevania Advance Collection yesterday (which is also on Switch and Steam of course) the PS4 now has access to most of the major 2D Castlevanias due to one collection that's exclusive to the PS4.

Castlevania Anniversary Collection has the NES, SNES, Genesis, and GB Castlevanias:
R.6f65b5554694d4c223707d19b8839b6c

Castlevania Advance Collection has the GBA games and Dracula X from the SNES:
castlevania-advance-collection-09-23-21-1.jpg

The exclusive is the Castlevania Requiem Collection that has Rondo of Blood and Symphony of the Night:
maxresdefault.jpg

The version of SOTN on this IS the one with the new dub (the original can be played via XB BC), but it's still great to have it with Rondo.

If you count the Bloodstained games, then you can play most of the important 2D Castlevanias on one system.

Crocwrangler

Neo Member
DS collection seems unlikely to me based on how linked to the DS those games were (remember those spells you had to draw in Dawn of sorrow? The maps on the lower screen? Etc). I'd rather have a new one of the quality of Portrait of Ruin but made like Bloostained.

NT80

Something the Rondo of Blood remake on PSP had that was really good was the 3rd form of Dracula at the end. That is my favourite CV boss battle of all. CV:Rebirth which also has some great boss battles might be favourite action platformer CV. It's shame both seem to have completely disappeared.

cireza

Xbox is also a solid choice for Castlevania games. I don't understand why Requiem has not been released on all consoles honestly. Such a strange decision...

Punished Miku

Gold Member
If you want to play the 3D Kojima produced games, then Xbox is the option. If you want Rondo, then PS4.
I've been waiting on both Lords of Shadow games to go on sale on Xbox.

Any idea if they have increased performance? The frame rate on the first one could dip pretty low at times.

Knightime_X

Now we just need Xbox backwards compatibility to go a bit further and add Castlevania: Curse of Darkness.
Desperately waiting for the Xbox emulator CX BX to be updated more so I can finally play it again.

bender

What time is it?
DS collection seems unlikely to me based on how linked to the DS those games were (remember those spells you had to draw in Dawn of sorrow? The maps on the lower screen? Etc). I'd rather have a new one of the quality of Portrait of Ruin but made like Bloostained.

You could map a virtual stylus to the right analog stick.

coffinbirth

Now we just need Xbox backwards compatibility to go a bit further and add Castlevania: Curse of Darkness.
Desperately waiting for the Xbox emulator CX BX to be updated more so I can finally play it again.
Have you tried Xemu? I'm pretty sure it's playable with that.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Out of all those Castlevania games in those packages, I dont know how much they cost, but here's my reco:

Find a sale price on SotN (probably get it for $5), and that's good enough. Dont worry about the other games.

bender

What time is it?
Both DS and 3DS libraries I mean. Way more games than just Castlevania to be losing out on, that's all I'm saying.

Oh. I still have a bunch of boxed DS/3DS special editions and all my games. I'd still like them ported and I'd bet we'll see them sooner rather than later.

coffinbirth

I guess if you have a 3D monitor and don't mind missing the stylus and go through emulation instead of ports.
Personally, I don't give a shit about the 3D(I do have one upstairs though), but having the alternate control schemes via right analog instead of the touchscreen is, IMO, just a better way to play most of these games.

Goalus

you can play all of those games on Xbox series S/ X except Rondo of Blood.
Plus you can play Harmony of Despair on it which you can’t on PS4?
Also Series is the current console generation while PS4 is yesterdays…
You can also play Castlevania: Lords of Shadow – Mirror of Fate HD on Xbox Series, which you can't play on PS4 (not to mention LoS 1 & 2, which are not 2D I know).
Moral of the story: Xbox is the platform of choice regarding Castlevania games.

Last edited:
Out of all those Castlevania games in those packages, I dont know how much they cost, but here's my reco:

Find a sale price on SotN (probably get it for $5), and that's good enough. Dont worry about the other games.

Sure if that's all you're interested in.

The Sorrows are better, but that's just me.

coffinbirth

How far along is that emu?
Cv cod is playable on cxbx but far from an enjoyable state.
It's come a LONG way in the last year! I'd say if you have a beefy computron, it should run better than it did for this guy, as he cites a lack of "computer performance" and I assume that's because it appears to be running at around 20fps. I haven't personally tried this particular game yet, but I have played a bunch of games with Xemu at full speed.

Ozrimandias

After this we need a 3D collection of PS2 Games, Judgment and the Lords of Shadow.

Then....
Sony can buy Konami.
Bring Back Silent Hill
Bring Back Castlevania
Contra
Then a Reboot of MGS.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
No, it has Rondo and the re-dubbed SOTN. Xbox has the Lords of Shadow games via BC.

Rondo is by far one of the best Castlevanias of all time, so it's a big thing to have.
It also has the MSX version of castlevania

Last edited:
Also Series is the current console generation while PS4 is yesterdays
And yet all I see is people, including you, championing it as the console to play OLD stuff. Oh the irony! 🤣

Dr. Suchong

Dracula X / Vampires kiss is nails hard.
Much of the difficulty comes from the fact that Richter moves like someone with lead feet, on crutches....underwater.

Anyone know if that Requiem collection (Rondo and SotN) is going to be just timed-exclusive on PS4, or.... "Forever" exclusive?

anthony2690

Banned
Also Series is the current console generation while PS4 is yesterdays…
Harmony of despair is incredible, I had a good hundred plus hours on that game.

My younger brother had a good hundred hours with probably each character including the dlc ones XD

fart town usa

Gold Member
Been playing the Anniversary Collection the last week or so.

With the help of save state scumming, I've beat 3, 4, most of Bloodlines, The first GB game, and now the 2nd GB game, Belmont's Revenge.

Belmont's Revenge is insanely impressive. It's honestly one of the best level-based Castlevania games I've ever played. I love the climbing aspect of the GB games, can't think of a single other 2D Castlevania that incorporates rope climbing sections with spike walls chasing you down.

4 was my favorite for my whole life but it might be 3 now, I feel like that's a personal favorite for a lot of people. Crazy to think that it released in 1990, pure AAA fire. 4 is still up there though, that game utilizes the SNES so incredibly well, another AAA banger for sure. Konami was straight fire back then, everyone who was around knows. Imagine if they could have pulled off 3D like Capcom.

Can't believe I got this collection for 3.99 the other month, such a good deal. Gonna get the Advance Collection and Requiem next.

Top Bottom