• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The PS4 draws 10W in standby mode (ArsTechnica)

To be fair, it has to remain awake enough to be woken up through the Internet via remote play over either wifi or Ethernet.

Wii U has to remain awake enough to be woken up with the GamePad / a Wiimote and will periodically check for & download updates from the Internet.

JaggedSac

I could envision a scenario in which the ARM chip does not have access to the storage system, and needs the "full system" to be active when downloading

I believe the dude in the official UI demonstration vid says this. The full system is turned on while the download occurs.

Binabik15

There are a lot of dumb regulations in the EU, but this isn't one of them.

Bu, bu, but eletricity grows on trees! And trees are good for the environment, so wasting electricity=more trees to grow it=more environment and stuff.

I use power strips with on/off switches for everything besides my router, even though I don't pay for electricity. Not only do I not want to waste without need, but FUCK those LEDs that light up your entire room when you're trying to get pitch black darkness to sleep in.

10 Watts is way too much, but I've run out of preorders to cancel.

Skeff

Can't believe this made it on to a tech website when it was called out instantly on GAF as being highly unlikely.

Diablos

AMD isn't exactly known for great thermal design. Not surprised at all. My 95W FX 6300 idles at like 40C, when playing a game it gets up to 65ish.

Expect future revisions of PS4 to have Jaguars that consume less power. Early adoption is a bitch.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
What kind of person doesn't turn their electronics completely off when they are done with them? I don't understand it.

Standby is great. If I shut off my computer everytime I was done with it, I would just be rebooting in an hour over and over.

Brad was just saying (Giantbomb) that he thinks the PS4 uses 4w in standby. He didn't say, but I assume he was told that at the NYC PS4 event.

Marinlik

Neo Member
What kind of person doesn't turn their electronics completely off when they are done with them? I don't understand it.

I always put my electronics in standby. I'm not going to crawl to the back of my electronics every time I want to use something.

There would be way to much time waste compared to the money saved from it. Especilally most electronics that I have(basically everything except the ps4(when I get it) has a very low power consumption in stand by

I wasn't too uptight about the idle and game power usage, but the standby using 10 watts seems like a lot to me. I can't think of anything I own that uses 2 watts on standby, much less 10.

Then again, Ars isn't the most trustworthy source lately.

Wonko_C

Eff dat noise. I'm going to unplug it after use like I do with almost every electronic device at home. the savings in my electricity bill add up.

Phreak47

I always put my electronics in standby. I'm not going to crawl to the back of my electronics every time I want to use something.

Another vote for moderate yet reasonable energy waste HERE.

I leave two PCs in standby mode at home 24/7. Worth it to be able to 1) Be working in the time it takes for the monitor to warm up and 2) be able to send WOL packets to it remotely and log into it.

The PS4 will be no different. I use LED light bulbs everywhere now. Fuck it. STANDBY 4 LIFE.

sangreal

>Mistake by Ars.

The whole site is a mistake. How do you mistake 70w for 10w? Idiots.

it takes like 30 seconds for it to drop from 70 to 10 after you put it in standby

There would be way to much time waste compared to the money saved from it. Especilally most electronics that I have(basically everything except the ps4(when I get it) has a very low power consumption in stand by

you don't have to go out of the way to turn the PS4 completely off. When you go to shut it down from controller it asks if you want to put it in standby or turn it off

it takes like 30 seconds for it to drop from 70 to 10 after you put it in standby

It's pretty standard in the tech enthusiast press to measure the idle power consumption as soon as the thing idles and what's sometimes called a "deep idle" which is after 15-30 minutes or so of inactivity.

Still seems kinda lazy.

NHale

Guys it's Kyle Orland. Disregard the article completely.
He's the guy who said resolution doesn't matter between PS4/Xb1 less than a month after shitting on the PS Vita TV because its resolution wasn't enough.

Are you serious? The same guy?

What?!?!? So how is this gonna work? If the max consumption by EU regulations is 1 watt and its at 10 now... Will I get my PS4 in a months time? :(

spwolf

I know rihgt. That typq of all thingz.

The 1 and 7 aren't even next to each other on KB's/numpads and if you are doing this test to find these numbers to begin with, then.....

yeah, they made a big deal of it, it wasnt a typo, they didnt measure it properly and they decided to lie about it.

Ars is getting shit... first they claimed how people shouldnt care about graphics in consoles and now this.

It is Ars... people go there to see miniscule differences between CPUs and GPUs and now 50% doesnt matter, it is all chill.

Top Bottom