• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Puyo Puyo thread of SEGA abandonment

Kasumi1970

my name is Ted
I have to make one BIG correction. In the USA, Sega only released Puyo Pop Fever on the Gamecube. They ignored Xbox and the PS2. It was going to com out on the xbox but they dropped it to make the game a Gamecube exclusive. Now europe got a release on on Ps2, Xbox and the Nintendo Gamecube.

Mean Bean Machine is still by far my favorite game of this play style. Have they explicitly said that they won't bring over anymore puyo pop games? The had DS and Gamecube versions so it hasn't been that long.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Mean Bean Machine is still by far my favorite game of this play style.
Mean Bean Machine is shit. No combo canceling or flip-when-stuck-vertically features. Whoever gets the first big combo ends the game. No chance for a back and forth.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Can't believe I missed this thread the first time! Such a 'pure' game - easy to play but difficult to master... would love to see this on XBLA or something with competitive, online play. Those strategies in post #2 of this thread are awesome.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
Any word on a XBLA/PSN release? It's crazy that Mean Bean Machine via Ultimate Genesis Collection is the only way to play this on those consoles. (Better than the PS3's situation with the lack of Tetris...)

It's definitely up there with my favorite puzzle games along with Tetris and Sega Swirl.

IPoopStandingUp said:
Any word on a XBLA/PSN release? It's crazy that Mean Bean Machine via Ultimate Genesis Collection is the only way to play this on those consoles.
Kirby's Ghost Trap (aka Avalanche) for Wii is basically the same game and just as awesome.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Emonga said:
Kirby's Ghost Trap (aka Avalanche) for Wii is basically the same game and just as awesome.
That game has the same problems as Mean Bean Machine, as they're both based off of the original Puyo Puyo.

I know it doesn't sound like much, but the little features that were added in PP2 really made it into a solid vs game and set the foundation for the rest of the series. It almost makes the first game unplayable by comparison. If you're going to buy any entry from this series on the Virtual Console, it should be Puyo Puyo 2.

Sixfortyfive said:
That game has the same problems as Mean Bean Machine, as they're both based off of the original Puyo Puyo.

I know it doesn't sound like much, but the little features that were added in PP2 really made it into a solid vs game and set the foundation for the rest of the series. It almost makes the first game unplayable by comparison. If you're going to buy any entry from this series on the Virtual Console, it should be Puyo Puyo 2.
In fact, the competitive scene still uses PP2 as the "standard" for VS matches. Not to knock Fever or Seven, as they introduced some really solid gameplay concepts, but they also don't punish you for making mistakes as much as PP2 does.

great thread op! I just got a dirt cheap copy of GG Mean Bean Machine off of Ebay, how's that version compared to rest of the entries?

Sixfortyfive said:
Mean Bean Machine is shit. No combo canceling or flip-when-stuck-vertically features. Whoever gets the first big combo ends the game. No chance for a back and forth.

I don't give a shit? Maybe you missed where I said MY favorite game of this type.

sullytao

DanteFox said:
I'll tell you which!

563321_45465_front.jpg

dr-robotniks-mean-bean-machine-virtual-console-20061211040011008_640w.jpg

Best 16 bit puzzler ever!!! :D

I still love Puyo Puyo 4 on the Dreamcast the most. I remember having a lot of fun with the mode where the bigger combos you make, the more cookies that appear for Carbuncle to devour. I have fond memories of a friend screaming "COMBO COOKIES! NOMNOMNOM" every time Carbuncle ate some.

GhaleonEB

Never played this, but Baku Baku Animal for the Saturn was the exact same (probably lifted from it) and it was wonderful; still one of my favorite puzzle games ever.

Alas, I don't own a platform Puyo Puyo released on.

Nikashi

Banned
GhaleonEB said:
Never played this, but Baku Baku Animal for the Saturn was the exact same (probably lifted from it) and it was wonderful; still one of my favorite puzzle games ever.

Alas, I don't own a platform Puyo Puyo released on.

Er, Baku Baku Animal is NOTHING like Puyo Puyo.. and if you haven't ever played Puyo Puyo, go find a way to play it asap, it's an awesome vs puzzler!

D-Pad

I played the Nintendo version of MBM -> Kirby's Avalanche.

Sorry, I mean, I play Kirby's Avalanche. Clear the game on each difficulty each time I play. Shit is great, my favorite puyo-puyo. I tried to enjoy Fever, but the new gimmicks and shit really sucked (three-at-a-time killed it for me), that and the SNES d-pad > anything else. It's also my favorite Kirby game, mostly because of how mean Kirby is when meeting his opponents. :lol

HleTA.png

e7Sxq.png

And the hardest battle in the game ( nowhere near the last)...
fM3r4.jpg

Little arrogant mother fuckers.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
I just picked up Anniversary on ps2 for shits n giggles and I'm absolutely loving it. I haven't played one of these games in almost a decade and never really clicked with them before. It's really kicking my ass though. :lol I've gotten pretty good at basic chaining theory and can do 5s pretty consistently, I'm just slow at it and as soon as garbage starts coming down I freak out. :<

I need to find someone else to play with.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
GET HYYYPE

Needs music or commentary or something :p

Interesting though. Maybe I'll pick up some new strategies. These guys are crazy good.

BiggNife

I had a blast playing Puyo Pop DS with my friends. I'm pretty sure it was one of the first DS games that showed what single-cart multiplayer could be capable of. The fact that you could do 4-player versus with only one cart was fantastic.

Too bad Sega never brought the sequel over.

Munin

D-Pad said:
I played the Nintendo version of MBM -> Kirby's Avalanche.

Sorry, I mean, I play Kirby's Avalanche. Clear the game on each difficulty each time I play. Shit is great, my favorite puyo-puyo. I tried to enjoy Fever, but the new gimmicks and shit really sucked (three-at-a-time killed it for me), that and the SNES d-pad > anything else. It's also my favorite Kirby game, mostly because of how mean Kirby is when meeting his opponents. :lol

And the hardest battle in the game ( nowhere near the last)...
fM3r4.jpg

Little arrogant mother fuckers.

Agreed, my favorite version of the game also, the newer games look like Flash games and the anime styling is way too bland for me.

Series is pretty well off in Japan, and considering the past four games have had a big release every two years we'll probably get something in 2011.

As for the US... :/

ghibli99

This has always been a series I've liked/played (I particularly enjoyed Tsu), but never did excel at it... thanks for posting those guides!

Kasumi1970 said:
I have to make one BIG correction. In the USA, Sega only released Puyo Pop Fever on the Gamecube. They ignored Xbox and the PS2. It was going to com out on the xbox but they dropped it to make the game a Gamecube exclusive. Now europe got a release on on Ps2, Xbox and the Nintendo Gamecube.
I know in Europe they had to drop Japanese voice acting. Thing is in true Sonic Team fashion the instruction manual mentions the option (Sonic 2006s manual shows that this policy of 'print fist ask features later' hasn't changed). Gamecube version is a bit annoying as no button press cheats (so no use any character in single player) and no using the replay glitch to fight Carbuncle, you'll have to get to the stage with the right number of continues used or just do the other condition ("Win every match in the HaraHara course without continuing and activate Fever Mode fewer than four times or more than 12 times.").

Man I love me some Puyo. Its always been between it and Tetris Attack/Puzzle League for me favorite puzzler.

That being said, I thought the first PPF on DS was shit.

I'd kill for this in HD with big, bright, and colorful graphics.

Top Bottom