• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Puyo Puyo thread of SEGA abandonment

Cosmo Clock 21 said:
Yeah, but hopefully it's a good sign they'd be willing to add netplay to one of the Tsuu VC games.
I reckon we'll see it a few months after. IIRC, they run off the same arcade hardware so the emulation isn't an issue. Now my question is will it be seen out of Japan and do Nintendo charge import tax on VC arcade games (it would be fun if they don't, here get the better version for cheaper).

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
I still don't know why there is no Puyo Puyo for PSN or XBLA. Maybe Sega will get around to it when they start running low on DC games to port.

The fourth Japan vs. Korea tournament is happening on the 19th of February. Last time the Koreans got creamed, but the Koreans are flying to Japan to play this time around so maybe they decided to get serious?

It'll probably get livestreamed here.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
SapientWolf said:
I still don't know why there is no Puyo Puyo for PSN or XBLA. Maybe Sega will get around to it when they start running low on DC games to port.
Hmm, Sega has done well with Puyo in the past, but I think Sega 2011 would ruin it.

I really miss Compile. How awesome would they be now with XBLA/PSN/WW/etc.? They were pretty much making games in this vein for YEARS AND YEARS with their DiscStation magazine. They JUST missed seeing this become mainstream.

Watched GameCenter CX episode 102 where he tries to clear Super Puyo Puyo on Hard but couldn't do it.

Very charming. Looked up the game. You know the story in this thread.

Found on Amazon Kirby's Avalanche that is supposed to be great condition with everything for $13.49

Could of got the game experience other ways but this is more my style.

Super Play Magazine's Top 100 SNES Games listed it as the 13th best game on the system. High praise.

It came today and was indeed in mint condition. Like it had never been played.

Hey. There's a new Puyo game in this week's Famitsu. Basically an expanded version of Puyo15th with 15 game modes and 24 characters. Seems like the DS is still the main SKU for whatever bizarre reason.

SapientWolf said:

You're giving them too much credit. They aren't even giving us the really good Dreamcast games.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
Cosmo Clock 21 said:
Seems like the DS is still the main SKU for whatever bizarre reason.
Well, it's the like, best selling system in Japan this generation, that's not too bizarre.

I wish Sega would start bringing these out over here.

Or why did Atlus drop it after Puyo Puyo Fever 1?

GhaleonQ

Cosmo Clock 21 said:
Hey. There's a new Puyo game in this week's Famitsu. Basically an expanded version of Puyo15th with 15 game modes and 24 characters. Seems like the DS is still the main SKU for whatever bizarre reason.

Huh. Great!...?

Princess Skittles said:
Well, it's the like, best selling system in Japan this generation, that's not too bizarre.

I wish Sega would start bringing these out over here.

Or why did Atlus drop it after Puyo Puyo Fever 1?
Sega dropped it due to poor sales (allegedly), and I don't know why Atlus stopped after PPF1DS. XSEED doesn't want to touch it due to the large cast of characters driven by nostalgia and its niche appeal.

Basically, shit fucking sucks.

Scans are out, which corroborates some earlier leaks I'd learned about.

First off, it looks like the art style has changed slightly from the past four games. Less flat shading and the character proportions are more chibi-fied.

As for game modes, Original, Tsuu, Fever, and Mission Puyo return as classic modes. SUN, Mega Rush, and Mini Fever have been tweaked from their original incarnations, and the following new modes have been added:
- Mini Puyo Excavation (15th's Excavation Mode combined with 7's mini puyo)
- Gust
- Slot
- Four-fingered (or whatever よんてさき translates to)
- Block
- Active
- Cross-rotation
- Quartet (all drops come in fours)

Additionally, there looks to be a new battle style known as Pair Puyo, which is a 2v2 mode with some extra quirks thrown in, like a health meter, shared garbage puyo, and "Extra Chain" and "Synchro Chain" which I am assuming rewards you for coordinating chains with your partner.

Releases July 14th on the DS for 5040 yen, and some other "Anniversary Box" SKU for 8379 yen.

daevv

I have the PSP fever version, It rules! Had to get it from the UK as it was not released in NA, lasttime I checked.

920801_72755_front.jpg

920801_72755_back.jpg

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
Cosmo Clock 21 said:
Sega dropped it due to poor sales (allegedly), and I don't know why Atlus stopped after PPF1DS. XSEED doesn't want to touch it due to the large cast of characters driven by nostalgia and its niche appeal.

Basically, shit fucking sucks.
Every single post I see about XSEED passing up localization of a game from this point on will be countered with the fact that they committed to translating the Trails in the Sky trilogy.

But that's due to straight-up, nutty anime style fanboyism over any kind of sane business decision.. so I dunno if it's a valid counter.

Pair Puyo is shaping up to be pretty interesting. It's a full-fledged seperate mode rather than one of those fifteen rulesets, which would imply Sega put more time into fleshing it out?
Momochi said:
"Pair Puyo" (new mode)
- 2 on 2
- When the Puyo piles up, the field gets empty (and probably your team loses one of the three hearts at the bottom of the screen)
- The teammates share Nuisance Puyo & the lifes
- New kind of chains:
--Extra Chain: firing a chain during your teammate's chain
--Synchro Chain: firing chains of the same length (3 or longer) at the same time

Synchro Chains look like they'll need insane amounts of coordination to pull off consistently. As in crazy Japanese linked hivemind amounts of coordination.

EDIT: The bullet points on the back of that PSP Fever box are seriously boring. Who would want to buy something like that?

GhaleonQ

Cosmo Clock 21 said:
Releases July 14th on the DS for 5040 yen, and some other "Anniversary Box" SKU for 8379 yen.

I have to say that it looks fairly interesting. I'm fine with another "definitive edition" effort, but I hope that they push the boundaries with the next one.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
Cosmo Clock 21 said:
The Arcade version of Puyo Puyo Tsuu is headed to Virtual Console this June. Hopefully they'll splice in netplay like they did with the Arcade release of PP1. If they do, it'll become the definitive Puyo title to own.
Dammit Sega, get these released in the US/Europe.

Wait, scratch that.. finish up localization of Monster Land/Monster World IV first, then get started on these (if localization is even needed).

ROBOKITTYZILLA said:
Sega should make an IOS Puyo Puyo. I still play Puyo Pop Fever regularly on the DS.
They did, albeit only released in Japan, like always:
http://sega.jp/kt/apple/puyofever/

Anyways, SEGA put up a 5 minute promo video for Puyo Puyo!! explaining various game features. It seems like SEGA has finally realized there are hardcore fans of the series -- under the Challenges section, the very first Large Chain challenge is "make a 10 chain or higher".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VicydxeE52w

Japanhavers, the arcade version of Puyo Puyo Tsuu released on Virtual Console yesterday. This is the definitive Puyo game - if you purchase no other Puyo game, get this version. It even has online netplay for the low price of 800 Wii points!

http://vc.sega.jp/vca_puyo2/

In conclusion, buy this game.

xAiaW.gif

Batankyuu~

Tizoc

Woah it's Puyo Puyo's 20th anniversary?!
I played a PS2 Puyo game and it was fun, wish they'd release a Puyo game to PSN and XBL =/
There's a 20th anniversary game on NDS out now in Japan~

Well, we somehow managed to snag Megadrive Tsuu in the west on VC. Maybe if we bugged SEGA enough we could get them to stealth replace it with the arcade version?

By the way, the 20th anniversary game is amazing. Packed full of content and all kinds of fanservice. For example, compare the fever (and attract screen) theme from this game:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TfYAQ8sjnJA#t=1m29s
to the theme to the GameGear version of the original Puyo Puyo game:
http://www.fileden.com/files/2008/11/24/2198851/puzlowkids_title.mp3

You may also recognize the character on the right in the first video if you've played Puyo Pop Fever. It's an alternate constume for Amitie, whom you fight in a Fever battle with ridiculous AI. Oh hi computer thanks for that 10 chain don't mind if I just up and die from complete shock

Seik

Banned
A little question here: I still have my copy of Puyo Pop Fever on GC, I played this game so much and I still play it sometimes but I never tried any of the other Puyo titles. I know most of them are on older consoles, I have a Saturn for example (With an AR 4 in 1, so I have no problem with imports). Is there a version that we could concider 'better' than Fever? (which I think is the most recent one since SEGA dropped the ball)

thechristoph said:
This sounds really similar to Tetris Attack. Do these games share DNA?
Nope, they operate on completely different principles (aside from sharing the "action puzzle" genre).

As for which Puyo game is "better", it's pretty subjective and depends entirely on what you're looking for in a game. The HG101 article on the series gives a pretty good rundown on all the myriad ports/spinoffs, albeit a bit dated. Since that article was written, three games have come out:

Puyo Puyo! (15th Anniversary): Great game, but PP20th has completely over-awesomed it
Puyo Puyo 7: A terrible game that spent all its money on marketing
Puyo Puyo!! (20th Anniversary): owns, buy it (also needs translators for an English patch)

Puyonexus (English fansite) and Puyomania (Korean) are having a tournament this Saturday at 8PM Eastern. Basically the sequel to the tourney held a year and a half ago, but this time Nexus is missing a few key players.

Gonna attempt to livestream and provide live commentary when it happens. Worth making a new thread for when it rolls around?

beat

Sega should make an IOS Puyo Puyo. I still play Puyo Pop Fever regularly on the DS.

Sega's Columns Deluxe for iOS has a really disappointing port of an old Puyo Puyo game included. It looks OK but sounds mediocre and I don't think it even has Carbuncle.

Okay, lack of response either means no interest (ehhhh) or that this thread doesn't get visibility (more or less ehhh). Which probably means I should make a new thread when the tourney starts, I think. Help me out here late-night GAF

luka

Loves Robotech S1
I've been playing a lot of PP tsu ketteiban lately. I really love the classic madou style so much more than the soulless sonic team art. The character designs are INSANE and incredibly memorable, and the manzai skits are absolutely hilarious. I can't even remember what most of the Fever cast's names are... Good that they're keeping the series alive I guess... but they could at least throw out a few more punny titles just to keep the spirit.

Even so I've been looking at picking up puyo 20th on Wii for dat pair puyo (and Draco >_>). Too bad it didn't get a PS2 release 'cause I've already got four controllers for that. Didn't want to spend another $100+ just to get my 4 player puyo on. :p

Zekes!

Puyo Puyo is my favourite puzzle game, but I'm not very good at it. I actually haven't played it for a while.

I only own Puyo Puyo 20th Anniversary, Puyo Puyo 7 and my ex bought me Fever for GameCube. That said, I played a shit ton of Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine, and have always wanted to play the other older versions

GhaleonQ

Even so I've been looking at picking up puyo 20th on Wii for dat pair puyo (and Draco >_>). Too bad it didn't get a PS2 release 'cause I've already got four controllers for that. Didn't want to spend another $100+ just to get my 4 player puyo on. :p

DO IT.

I've heard rumors that Japanese players dislike PP20th for some reason. No idea why, cause from what I've played they improved on every single aspect of 15th. Better tutorial, story mode, challenge missions, music, heck even the gimmick modes are better.

SEGA held a PP20th tournament during Puyo Festa last month. The modes were Fever and Pair. You get to watch little girls beat grown men at Puyo.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgLfhDP-YPE

snaffles

Is any version of 20th anniversary better than the other, I might pick up the psp version if they are all have the same features, shame there isn't a home console release, I could probably retire my saturn if there was a version on psn/xbla.

The Nintendo ones have online. Wii/DS are cross-network, 3DS is on its own thing and is obviously region-locked. Online seems kinda barren from what I heard. As for exclusive features...

DS: worst quality sound/graphics, eight player multiplayer (single-cart)
Wii: co-op mode; one person controls location, the other rotation
3DS: take pictures of your dick and set it as your wallpaper, maybe eight player multi?
PSP: single-psp multiplayer; one person gets d-pad/L and the other face buttons/R

If you can stomach waiting to play the game you may want to hold off on buying the game until the summer; SEGA tends to do budget re-releases after a year.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
SEGA held a PP20th tournament during Puyo Festa last month. The modes were Fever and Pair. You get to watch little girls beat grown men at Puyo.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgLfhDP-YPE

That's so cool. I've watched some older tournaments back in the 90s but I had no idea they were still doing it. Heals my battered, broken heart.

Still not really a fan of fever rules though. It seems like it needlessly prolongs matches, especially in a tournament setting. Classic tsuu is much more fun to watch.

edit- that full clear at ~20 minutes was pretty awesome

Top Bottom