• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[The Rare Canceled Game Art Thread]

yurinka

KAL2006 said:
RARE are overrated

The only RARE games I have enjoyed were Killer Instinct, DKC games, Battletoads and Goldeneye.

They haven't made a game I liked in years
In my case is Killer Instinct, DKC games, Battletoads and Conker's Bad Fur Day.

KAL2006

Banned
I just realized something, RARE are not praised for their innovation and new ideas, but for their imitation (copying ideas from other games)

Some of their best ever games are copied games
Donkey Kong Country Series - Mario Bros Series
Banjo Kazooie Series - Mario 64
Diddy Kong racing - Mario Kart
Killer Instinct - Mortal Kombat
Battletoads - Double Dragon

Lately they have tried to come out with crazy new ideas (Viva Pinata, Nuts and Bolts), but it just doesn't work for me, I prefer when they just borrowed ideas from other games.

Rare was once my favorite developer around and it's sad to say this but their days are numbered. I don't think there's much left of the "independent" Rare anyway, but it's just a matter of time until the crew is dissolved (and some most likely placed in smaller Kinect/Avatar etc. groups or something).

REMEMBER CITADEL said:
Hell, it's really sad to see a lot of senior Rare staff go and I'm sure it's even sadder for people who grew up with their games (thankfully, I wasn't one of them), but times and markets change, and so should Rare. Or they could go the way of Factor 5 and other 8-bit/16-bit/32-bit heroes.

Not sure why but this comment kinda pisses me off.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
KAL2006 said:
I just realized something, RARE are not praised for their innovation and new ideas, but for their imitation (copying ideas from other games)

Lately they have tried to come out with crazy new ideas (Viva Pinata, Nuts and Bolts), but it just doesn't work for me, I prefer when they just borrowed ideas from other games.
To be fair, KI doesn't look or play anything like MK, and MK itself was a take on SFII.

Celine

KAL2006 said:

lol
why do you think Nintendo wasn't interested to own them ?

Truth to be told Golden Eye and Blast Corps are proofs of the opposite.

watkinzez

apana said:
Well a lot of Rare designers have left. I know some went to Eurocom, which recently made Goldeneye for Wii. I'm not sure where the rest are.

None of Goldeneye's designers ever worked at Rare, going by Mobygames. One of them worked at Free Radical as an artist, but that's as far as it goes.

I can't see any evidence of the design team leaving recently. Gregg still does blog posts on their website!

Celine said:
lol
why do you think Nintendo wasn't interested to own them ?

Truth to be told Golden Eye and Blast Corps are prove of the opposite.
and not liking Nuts and Bolts or Viva Pinata is completely ignorant of their critical acclaim. yeah neither set the charts on fire, but that doesn't mean anything in terms of the quality of them.

Hopefully they will close down asap, because this pile of shit called RARE is a huge pain in the ass. It's like trying to sell people on todays WWE product for what it was in the attitude era (yes, I know the Rock is back - fuck yeah!). It's just fake, fake, fake, fake!

Mailenstein said:
Hopefully they will close down asap, because this pile of shit called RARE is a huge pain in the ass. It's like trying to sell people on todays WWE product for what it was in the attitude era (yes, I know the Rock is back - fuck yeah!). It's just fake, fake, fake, fake!
i will never understand why someone wants to see people out of work when all they do is make videogames that not everyone likes.

their last game sold a million plus? FUCK THOSE FAKIES.

plagiarize said:
i will never understand why someone wants to see people out of work when all they do is make videogames that not everyone likes.

Pretty much.

It's one thing to be disappointed with the direction Rare have taken/been given, but its no reason to wish them ill.

I think there's still a chance for Rare to be relevant in the future but the gap is closing as time progresses. They're still creating good but under appreciated games.

Banjo Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts is one of the most creative games this generation, but it was hampered by being tied to the wrong IP.

plagiarize said:

I just can't stand the fact they are using their name as a selling point. And we all know that's the reason their last game sold a million plus. It's not RARE. Rename them and start something new, seriously.

plagiarize said:

Another thing I don't understand is why people think Rare is going to close now that they've finally become successful. It's like when people were suggesting Microsoft should leave the console market following the good business results. It boggles the mind.

EDIT: Which was basically your point. I need to go to bed.

Whatever. RARE has been medicore at best for the last decade. I'm surprised it didn't come sooner. they're a shell of their former selves...but that happens when you have a brain drain at the top.

Mailenstein said:
And we all know that's the reason their last game sold a million plus.
riiiight. cause it isn't selling better at this point in its life than anything else they'd ever made for Microsoft. it's just cause of the 'Rare' brand, that didn't seem to help the rather spiffy Viva Pinata Trouble in Paradise and Banjo Kazooie Nuts and Bolts.

Celine said:
Truth to be told Golden Eye and Blast Corps are proofs of the opposite.
Golden Eye 007...hmm. In the words of Martin Hollis:
Martin Hollis said:
So, in the specific case of GoldenEye, and with the benefit of hindsight, the gameplay model was Virtua Cop with a bit of Doom, plus some Mario 64.
Its innovate imitation I guess as nobody had put those 3 together...
Virtua Cop is an important one as thats where civilians and having to reload come from.

rare_logo.gif

id let this art department go first

Celine

Starwolf_UK said:
Golden Eye 007...hmm. In the words of Martin Hollis:

Its innovate imitation I guess as nobody had put those 3 together...
Virtua Cop is an important one as thats where civilians and having to reload come from.
Nothing is created brand-new, as in a vacuum.
At the time of release, there was nothing directly comparable to GE.

VerTiGo

Banned
After going through both 360 ports of the N64 Banjo games, I picked up the two-pack of Viva Pinata and Banjo Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts this past weekend. From what I briefly played it seems like it should be good fun.

HOWEVER.... IN ALL SERIOUSNESS... Microsoft should give Rare back to Nintendo. I doubt their IPs are worth anything to Microsoft to hold onto. If you want to just leave them as a ghost, if not a shell of their former selves, keep them at Microsoft. But Rare as it was is dead. You don't need Rare's branding to make faceless casual crap for Kinect. At least we know that Nintendo would produce better results with the IPs.

Nintendo, if you care, buy back Rare and get its IPs, and hand it all over to Retro Studios.

VerTiGo said:
After going through both 360 ports of the N64 Banjo games, I picked up the two-pack of Viva Pinata and Banjo Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts this past weekend. From what I briefly played it seems like it should be good fun.

HOWEVER.... IN ALL SERIOUSNESS... Microsoft should give Rare back to Nintendo. I doubt their IPs are worth anything to Microsoft to hold onto. If you want to just leave them as a ghost, if not a shell of their former selves, keep them at Microsoft. But Rare as it was is dead. You don't need Rare's branding to make faceless casual crap for Kinect. At least we know that Nintendo would produce better results with the IPs.

Nintendo, if you care, buy back Rare and get its IPs, and hand it all over to Retro Studios.

Just buy the IPs, why buy the ghost of a once great company? It's not really going to become great again unless the good folks come back, and I doubt they will.

Banjo + EAD Tokyo = (current) Rare who?

V_Ben

Banned
Hero of Legend said:
Just buy the IPs, why buy the ghost of a once great company, it's not really going to become great again unless the good folks come back, and I doubt they will.

Banjo + EAD Tokyo = (current) Rare who?

I still wonder what the Stampers are doing...

Nessus

apana said:
Well a lot of Rare designers have left. I know some went to Eurocom, which recently made Goldeneye for Wii. I'm not sure where the rest are.

Huh. I didn't know that. That's sorta really cool, that Goldeneye was made by at least some Rare staff.

V_Ben said:
I still wonder what the Stampers are doing...

You have to wonder if they're actually doing squat, all we've ever heard is that they're doing SOMETHING in the old Rare building.

It's the vaporware of a unofficial company really...

Nessus said:
Huh. I didn't know that. That's sorta really cool, that Goldeneye was made by at least some Rare staff.

Go back a bit in the thread to see my post about that, as far as the actual Goldeneye crew, there are only 8 people that worked at Free Radical and Rare, only two having worked at Rare. The FR folks were a number of artists seemingly and one Rare person was a tester on some post-buyout games, the other did the renders in DKR.

VerTiGo

Banned
I'm going to say it again. Nintendo, buy Rare. Give all the IPs to Retro and ... Banjo Kazooie: Returns could be one of the best 3D platformers ever. You know its true...

V_Ben

Banned
Hero of Legend said:
You have to wonder if they;re actually doing squat, all we've ever heard is that they;re doing SOMETHING in the old Rare building.

It's the vaporware of a unofficial company really...

Yeah, I suppose so... I live in hope that they've been working on a launch title for the next nintendo home console...

dvolovets

VerTiGo said:
I'm going to say it again. Nintendo, buy Rare. Give all the IPs to Retro and ... Banjo Kazooie: Returns could be one of the best 3D platformers ever. You know its true...
I doubt that Nintendo gives a shit. If they cared so much about the IPs, they would have struck a dual-ownership deal with Microsoft (if such a thing is/was even possible). Nintendo's doing perfectly well without their characters. As sad as I am to admit it, it would be way more trouble than it's worth for Nintendo to buy back Rare/their IPs. Pretty devastating to think that we might have seen the last of Rare. Such fond memories. :(

apana

It may just be a rumor but I heard that Iwata didn't want to let go of the Banjo IP, but others didn't want to put up a fight for it.

VerTiGo

Banned
dvolovets said:
I doubt that Nintendo gives a shit. If they cared so much about the IPs, they would have struck a dual-ownership deal with Microsoft (if such a thing is/was even possible). Nintendo's doing perfectly well without their characters. As sad as I am to admit it, it would be way more trouble than it's worth for Nintendo to buy back Rare/their IPs. Pretty devastating to think that we might have seen the last of Rare. Such fond memories. :(

Doesn't matter. What has happened to Rare is disgusting. Nintendo owes a lot of the N64's success to their collaboration with them. It should be done out of pity.

Nintendo! SAVE RARE. BUY IT AND HAND OVER EVERYTHING TO RETRO.

VerTiGo said:

It would make more business sense for Nintendo to hire all the "old" Rare staff, form a new studio, and offer them complete creative freedom. They wouldn't have the IP's, but they'd have the talent in order to create new ones. Considering how disillusioned the staff (or ex-staff) seem to be, I'm sure most of them would jump at the chance.

Hell, it makes sense, as Nintendo sold their stake in Rare due to a combination of the Gamecube not performing too well, and Rare taking so long with their releases. That $250 million or however much it was, was worth more to them at the time. But Nintendo are doing so well right now, they could afford to let "New Rare" have long gaps between releases. Not only that, but despite the fact that Nintendo are still putting out plenty of "hardcore" games, they're still putting a lot of their time and effort into catering to the casual audiences. Having a second-party dedicated exclusively to hardcore games would be a good thing.

Top Bottom