• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[The Rare Canceled Game Art Thread]

farnham

Banned
VALIS said:
I stopped worrying about people's opinions of Rare or the state of their studio in general when a genius game like Nuts & Bolts was met with poor reception and even worse sales. It just seemed like an impossible fight. Console gaming has changed, games like that don't seem to catch on in a big way anymore unless Mario is in it.
i believe nuts and bolts would have sold a lot better if they made a solid platformer comeback first and then introduced it as a spinoff (or introduced it as a precursor to the next platformer)

banjo and kazooie was a n64 platformer so the audience for it is either kids (who probably own a wii) or old nintendo fans. you cant lure those people with a spinoff

TheOddOne said:
They didn't want to make Halo forever.

True, but it's crazy that they signed up for a new ten year project.

VALIS said:
I stopped worrying about people's opinions of Rare or the state of their studio in general when a genius game like Nuts & Bolts was met with poor reception and even worse sales.

I stopped worrying about people's opinions of Rare when I realized great new games keep coming out despite all the doom and gloom predictions. I fully expect that to continue.

Shiggy

For those worrying about Wil Overton - as other's said, he left a few weeks ago. I couldn't name every single person who departed ;)
Were any of his projects even released? PDZ and Jetpac Refuelled only?

Kodiak

Not an asshole.
Hey I enjoyed Kameo, and Viva Pinata a littke, too! Sucks for those Artists : (

It's weird that they have the same name as that company that used to make all my favorite games, though.

TheOddOne

Dr Zhivago said:
When we contacted Microsoft for comment we were told: “I can confirm that a small number of employees in the art department of Rare Studios have been informed that their roles are at risk of redundancy. While redundancies are never easy, these organizational changes are part of Rare’s ongoing strategy and operational planning which typically coincides with the shipment of a title. We are working closely with the affected employees to support them through this transition and help them apply for other roles within Microsoft.

"Whilst we’re not discussing the exact numbers involved, I can assure you that it’s far fewer than you’ve indicated and represents a small percentage of the total Rare team."

The move to become a development studio primarily staffed by contractors would suggest that the staffing changes are rather more long term than simply the result of finishing Kinect Sports, as the game industry moves to replicate the “Hollywood model” of hiring workers on short-term contracts, with development outsourced to a variety of different studios. One of our sources says that development the Kinect Sports franchise may well be shared between Rare and Vancouver’s Big Park, developer of Kinect Joy Ride.
So, Microsoft seems to be happy in how the work for hire thing has been going at T10.

Shiggy

Two separate, independent sources close to the studio have confirmed the news to us under condition of anonymity. Our first source tells us that the entire art department at Rare – some 42 staff – were told their jobs in the firm’s Twycross headquarters were at risk of redundancy, and all affected staff had to apply for 23 managerial jobs at Rare’s new offices in Birmingham.

That means an effective cut of 19 staff – the maximum number of redundancies allowed under EU employment law without the need for a full consultation process. However, our source says “some negative feeling has led to additional artists taking the very generous voluntary redundancy packages,” taking the number of redundancies beyond 20. Our second source does not know precise numbers, but says that “due to the consultation period coming in, it would seem to be more than 20.”

The implication of seeking to avoid a lengthy, costly and potentially awkward consultation and offering generous voluntary terms is that Rare wants this done as quickly, and easily, as possible. Our source tells us that the remaining artist jobs are “management roles in name or fact, chiefly project managers. Meaning that all the actual artists are redundant.”

This is even more interesting and apparently true.

Shiggy said:
This is even more interesting and apparently true.

Blimey - very sneaky. Tell everyone their jobs are at risk and the only way to stay on is in one of a limited number of managerial positions, dodge the employment law issue and - thanks to the shitty atmosphere - you get rid of more than your limit through voluntary redundancy anyway. It wasn't entirely clear from the article, but are they now going to have to do consultation because more have left, or have they dodged that?

faridmon

SimpleDesign said:
Microsoft management fucked up the Bungie relationship.

Bizarre was never owned by Microsoft and they wanted the creative freedom to make games like Blur and 007 Bloodstone, which is why the sold out to Activision.

Ensemble and FASA got fucked over.

BioWare was never owned by Microsoft and were not worth a $1 billion dollar buyout. lol@EA

RIP Rare. I liked Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts.
Don't Forget about Remedy.

KevinCow said:
Why even keep the Rare name at this point?

:(
I thought just that. There simply is no Rare(ware) anymore. :( Better let them rest in peace and change that name! I will play some Conker's BFD, Perfect Dark, Banjo Kazooie and DK64 today!

Jubbly

4chan --> GAF --> Some bloke --> Next Gen.biz --> GAF

Annoys me when OPs get ignored/ripped off by news sites, though in all fairness NGB did at least get confirmation from MS. A lot of the OPs do a better job at digging up news than people actually paid to do it as part of their job, who instead appear happy to sit back and rip stuff off Gaf without ever thanking or acknowledging the OPs.

Sydle

Does anyone know how many people are left at Rare? I recall that at its peak there were something like 300 staffed, but I imagine that it's about half that by now.

Graphics Horse said:
23 Managerial Jobs?

Not unreasonable if more work is being outsourced and more output is expected. I work at a software company that's aggressively off-shoring/out-sourcing and cutting overhead costs. I can feel for Rare because it's completely changed the culture where I work and I've seen a lot of really great people leave over it. Those who are staying have been shifted into managerial roles. My own shift was a little bumpy, but after several weeks I've found my groove with my new responsibilities and I have to say it's been a change for the better and my outlook is bright (even if I still have some negative feelings over the whole thing).

KevinCow said:

That's what I thought.

br13uql4tjo9bdm20.jpg

Just change the name and get over with it.

TheOddOne

Relentless Makes 20 Staff Redundant
Cuts come as studio streamlines its operation to fit with shift in focus to multiplatform, digital development.

Buzz developer Relentless has made 20 staff redundant, according to reports, as it adapts to its new status as a multiplatform, digital-only studio.

However, Relentless is actively recruiting in other areas to better align the firm’s workforce with its new business model.

Relentless co-founder Andrew Eades told GI.biz: “We have recently restructured the company to work on a variety of different projects and different platforms.

“That has meant some redundancies as we need to match our skillset with the requirements of the projects that we are working on today. We will be recruiting for a number of roles to fulfil the needs of new projects."

Relentless announced last month that it was making the switch to multiplatform digital development after the expiration of its exclusivity deal with Sony which saw the studio release the Buzz quiz series, and episodic PlayStation Network title Blue Toad Murder Files, for Sony systems.

“Our real strategy going forward is to change the company from a disc-based, console games company only - which is what we were, we were only PlayStation 3, we were only console,” Eades said at the time. “We wanted to change the company to have much more breadth and embrace the new digital platforms we saw coming in.”
UK dev scene is really fucked.

KevinCow said:

Because it's a valuable asset and no company is going to get rid of a brand name just because some people on message boards think that they should. Also, because there are still dozens of people left in the studio, although it seems that most of the old crew is gone.

Again, that does not bother me, but I can understand how some of you guys must feel. Been there, done that with many of my once favorite developers, but you move on. At this point I just want best of luck to all affected, and from Rare I want more good games, no matter what they are or who they're made by.

[Nintex]

So Rare restructured all their teams and formed a seperate 'Art team' only to be able to easily kick them out later?

When MS bought Rare they had a staff of around 300 people, I guess there's only 1/3 left or so.

derFeef

faridmon said:
Remedy poor situation is still because of Msoft.
I don't know of poor situation. Sure, people go (and join Angry Birds team, lol). But looks like they got plenty of jobs open that are all taken by now. Next project is obviously greenlit and under development.

Mr_Zombie

faridmon said:
Yeah, that evil M$ that was funding Alan Wake development for six years. What an evil corporation that is.
I'm still bitter about no PC version, though :(

faridmon said:

Is it, now? How do you figure that? I'd say many publishers would have dropped the project long before its completion, but Microsoft stuck with it till the end, attempted to market it (admittedly, they could have done a better job, although Rockstar changing RDR's release date screwed them over quite a bit) and made it a part of their holiday bundle. Seems like Remedy was pleased with the relationship as they're reportedly working on another project with Microsoft.

Shiggy

[Nintex] said:
So Rare restructured all their teams and formed a seperate 'Art team' only to be able to easily kick them out later?

When MS bought Rare they had a staff of around 300 people, I guess there's only 1/3 left or so.

Based on the Kinect Sports credits we can assume that they have around or less than 120 employees right now. Even for Kinect Sports they contracted many people. In 2006, they already cut their QA department - it's now done by Volt.

Chris Seavor was part of the Art Flex team since 2009, thus it's no surprise he wasn't too happy.

Shiggy

Dave Clynick: Hey, how's it going Dave?
David Wise: Hi Dave - it's going very well thanks. How about you?
Dave Clynick: Cool I'm glad it's going well for you! It seems very quiet here for some reason...

Found on Facebook...

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
big_z said:
they wanted nintendo to buy them but nintendo wasnt interested at the time. seems like microsoft has gutted the studio since which is a shame. would be awesome it some of the former rare staff formed a new studio and went back to nintendo.
Oh I see, yeah then it could happen. I saw something about housing development on their wiki page but hearing that they are in the old Rare building is good news

donny2112

This news actually makes me very sad. RARE is really gone. It's over. :'(

Just finished the regular missions in PD XBLA on Perfect Agent last night.

Shiggy

Talladega Knight said:
Microsoft should just sell all of Rare's IPs to Nintendo.

First they'll shut down Rare's old building and then everything will be moved to Fazeley/Birmingham...perhaps.

[Nintex]

donny2112 said:
I remember when they set that place up. It was so cool with the windowed cafeteria, remotely located, and built-in mo-cap studio.
They should at least give the nice building back to Nintendo, they paid for it after all.

donny2112

[Nintex] said:
They should at least give the nice building back to Nintendo, they paid for it after all.

Then Nintendo could hire the Stamper Bros. to run it, pull in Zoonami and former Free Radical members now with Crytek (I think), rehire David Wise, Leigh Loveday, and a bunch of other guys I can't think of that used to work at RARE and have a new Western development studio partner that they would work really well with.

:( :(

Rafaelcsa

KAL2006 said:
I just realized something, RARE are not praised for their innovation and new ideas, but for their imitation (copying ideas from other games)

Some of their best ever games are copied games
Donkey Kong Country Series - Mario Bros Series
Banjo Kazooie Series - Mario 64
Diddy Kong racing - Mario Kart
Killer Instinct - Mortal Kombat
Battletoads - Double Dragon

Lately they have tried to come out with crazy new ideas (Viva Pinata, Nuts and Bolts), but it just doesn't work for me, I prefer when they just borrowed ideas from other games.

Viva Pinata -> Animal Crossing

The only Rare games I've ever cared about were SNES Killer Instinct and DKC games and Goldeneye. I guess Perfect Dark was okay too. Eh, I don't really care about the death of Rare, not a big loss. Especially now that we know Retro can make DKC games perfectly well.

That said, Rare's soundtracks = yummy! Nintendo hiring their composers would be perfect.

[Nintex]

Shiggy said:
Dave Clynick: Hey, how's it going Dave?
David Wise: Hi Dave - it's going very well thanks. How about you?
Dave Clynick: Cool I'm glad it's going well for you! It seems very quiet here for some reason...

Found on Facebook...
Seems like Wise made the right decision after all.

apana said:
Handing over IPs to your competitors is a great way to run a console business.
yea, they've done a good job so far with the IPs at hand

i think making money from something you're not using to begin with is a better way to run a console business

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
I really want to think that Rares set up is too good for MS to give up entirely, but with what they've got them doing now and the state of the UK industry now the tax breaks are shelved...worrying times.

Top Bottom