• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The real story behind Beyonce's "If I Were A Boy" (it was stolen, what a shock!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

kbear

This is a month or so old but I did a search and didn't find anything. Beyonce and her father stole this now hit record from a beautiful, blonde, 21-year old aspiring singer from San Diego by the name of BC Jean. The story behind it is truly disgusting. I honestly can't stand Beyonce. Everything about her makes me cringe. She's known for using and stealing other people's material but this just takes the cake.

Listen to BC Jean's original and superior version of the song here: http://www.bcjean.net

Click on "Songs" at the top and then click play.

24074_167065.jpg

Full details on the thievery:

Beyonce's 'Stolen' New Hit Record

Last week, I raved and raved about Beyonce’s new single, "If I Were a Boy." Remember? I thought it was the best thing she’d ever done, and was amazed that she’d even found the material.

Well, guess what? The story behind "If I Were a Boy" is absolutely scandalous. It also explains my question of why this single missed the Grammy deadline of Sept. 30, since it was ready to go at least three weeks ago. The answer: it was held up by endless legal wrangling since, in the long hallowed tradition of the music business, the young woman who wrote the melody and lyrics for "If I Were a Boy" had no idea Beyonce had even recorded her song until a stranger called with the news. By then, it was too late.

BC Jean is a hot, up-and-coming, 21-year-old female singer songwriter from San Diego. Those who’ve met her says she’s smart and "gorgeous." But BC (her initials, legend has it, are for "beautiful child") got a cold dose of reality this summer when it comes to the record business. According to sources, she and her manager/mother have been strong-armed by Beyonce’s people and others who saw gold in "If I Were a Boy" and didn’t care how they got it.

You can hear BC Jean’s version of her own song, written with German pop-factory producer Toby Gad, at www.bcjean.net. It’s certainly as good as Beyonce’s if not better. It’s no wonder that this young woman is now the center of so much attention.

Altogether, I am told, BC Jean wrote and recorded about a dozen songs with Gad for an album the producer was planning to make of his own. When the deal fell apart, Gad — whose 300 plus credits are all co-written, never solo — took the songs and started marketing them to big name, established artists. Gad’s past "collaborators" include Fergie, on "Big Girls Don’t Cry."

Besides Beyonce, Gad brought at least one of the songs to Disney for "Hannah Montana" star Miley Cyrus. But Disney wanted the lyrics changed to be age-appropriate. BC Jean refused. For now, Miley and Gad have been rebuffed.

When I wrote about Beyonce’s version of "If I Were a Boy" last week, calls came pouring in from people who knew the real history of this story. BC Jean’s mother/manager, Lori Carlson, told me she couldn’t comment on the situation. But plenty of people knew the saga of Beyonce’s legendary manager/father Mathew Knowles’ aggressive pursuit of the publishing rights to the potential hit record. His goal was to get the rights to the song and to put Beyonce’s name on the writing credits.

The Carlsons, I’m told, recently came to terms with Beyonce, after enduring the kind of record biz terrors that would curl the hair of the guys from "Hit Men." Now, "If I Were a Boy" is hitting big time. Part of the deal, my sources insist, is that the two singers will duet on BC Jean’s debut album once she gets her own recording deal. Right now, managers, publishers and A&R people from all over the industry are falling over themselves trying to sign BC Jean. They should be. She seems to be the real deal, a potential artist with a big career looming in front of her. It’s a shame that this is the way she had to find out about the record business.

BC Jean’s story is an old one that dates back to Elvis Presley and continues ‘til today. The larger issue, of course, is that performers who don’t write their own music get no royalty when their records are played on the radio. That’s why a Performance Royalty Act is being pushed in Congress right now, and why songwriters should back it. Artists wouldn’t be looking to muscle in on their business if they were paid appropriately. Beyonce simply falls into a category that also includes Frank Sinatra and Tony Bennett as well as Sam Moore and Judy Collins, each of whom testified in front of Congress about the matter this year.

And by the way: BC Jean’s story is pretty common. I’d love to hear from all the other songwriters out there who’ve been ripped off just in the last year. The back stories of how records get made, how big stars who don’t write their own music wind up with hit material, are always hell-raisers.
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,437442,00.html

John_B

So in some cases piracy is perfectly fine, and it may even make you very rich and award you with shiny figurines.

These record companies do not give the slightest fuck about law and copyright, they care about money.

its not stolen. That shit is word for word the same song. It was probably bought and owned by Beyonce's record label and given to her. Thats not stealing that shit happens all the time. This girl probably just got screwed with a crappy deal (happens to lots of unknown/young artists) and lost the rights to her own songs. Shit happens.

kbear

Ninja Scooter said:
its not stolen. That shit is word for word the same song. It was probably bought and owned by Beyonce's record label and given to her. Thats not stealing that shit happens all the time. This girl probably just got screwed with a crappy deal (happens to lots of unknown/young artists) and lost the rights to her own songs. Shit happens.
Read the article in the OP.

gdt

I'm not really into modern RnB music, but wow. I've kinda heard Beyonce's version on the radio and BC's sounds pretty much the same. Are the lyrics the same?

kbear

gdt5016 said:
I'm not really into modern RnB music, but wow. I've kinda heard Beyonce's version on the radio and BC's sounds pretty much the same. Are the lyrics the same?
Pretty much, yeah. Melody and everything is identical.

kbear

gdt5016 said:
Wow. Don't people have morals? Is this Beyonce's doing or her management/record company?
Her demon of a father. Of course Beyonce let it all happen so she's just as much to blame.

kbear said:
Read the article in the OP.

i did. It doesn't specify but i wouldn't be surprised if the original producer she worked with held the rights to the songs. Yeah shady as fuck but its nothing new. The Beatles didn't even have the rights to a lot of their early work. And if he offered them to the highest bidder and Beyonce's people thought it'd make a great single and bought it, i would hardly consider that "stealing".

kbear

Ninja Scooter said:
i did. It doesn't specify but i wouldn't be surprised if the original producer she worked with held the rights to the songs. Yeah shady as fuck but its nothing new. The Beatles didn't even have the rights to a lot of their early work. And if he offered them to the highest bidder and Beyonce's people thought it'd make a great single and bought it, i would hardly consider that "stealing".
The girl wrote the song. According to the article, Toby Gad the producer got his name in the credits as a co-writer. He then went and shopped her songs without BC knowing about it. BC found out about this when Beyonce had already recorded her song and could do nothing about it. Beyonce's monster of a father used his jedi mind tricks to do whatever it took to get the song. Nothing about this sounds amicable whatsoever. BC got owned and couldn't do jack shit about it.

kbear said:
The girl wrote the song. According to the article, Toby Gad the producer got his name in the credits as a co-writer. He then went and shopped her songs without BC knowing about it. BC found out about this when Beyonce had already recorded her song and could do nothing about it. Beyonce's monster of a father used his jedi mind tricks to do whatever it took to get the song.

if the song was stolen she could have done something about it, whether she had recorded it already or not. The producer probably duped a naive girl, but it doesn't sound like Beyonce or her people did any stealing.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Same shit happenned between Gwen Stefani and Fergie over the "Glamorous" track with Ludacris about 2 years ago. Its nothing new, or surprising, but it sucks that it stiffs a young artist.

A perfect example of why its not always in your best interest to have a family member as a manager.

kbear

Ninja Scooter said:
if the song was stolen she could have done something about it, whether she had recorded it already or not. The producer probably duped a naive girl, but it doesn't sound like Beyonce or her people did any stealing.
Maybe not technically stealing but it's obvious there were a lot of underhanded tactics used here. And the article says that she found out about all this after Beyonce had already recorded the song. Toby Gad owned BC by shopping her tunes after their record deal fell through without her knowing. The girl's song was effectively stolen.

It also mentions how Beyonce's dad was hell-bent on getting this song so he was all a part of this.

SupahBlah

Banned
Ninja Scooter said:

Its not so much Beyonce did the song, its the fact she's down as a writer.

Threi

notag
lets get to the real discussion.

Beyonce looks hotter.

both can be fucked at full force but i would bust my nuts on beyonce given the choice.

fucking guybrush

kbear

Threi said:
lets get to the real discussion.

Beyonce looks hotter.

Wow, you've got shitty taste in women. BC looks like a perfect 10 blonde. Beyonce is overweight and disgusting.

DY_nasty

kbear said:
Wow, you've got shitty taste in women. BC looks like a perfect 10 blonde. Beyonce is overweight and disgusting.

Not that I'm a Beyonce fan or anything but

...what?

Threi

notag
kbear said:
*ticks off "girls" on the "things kbear has shitty taste in" list*

Imm0rt4l

damn dude, I can just feel the hate you have for B coming from my monitor. I don't care for her (musically)myself, I mean, she's a bad piece *shrugs. Anyways, what I find most foul is that this girl isn't getting credit for writing this. This will probably give her more attention than she'd get otherwise, but it still sucks ass.

Pimpbaa

kbear said:

No, YOU have disgusting taste in women. Your view of what is overweight is absolutely sickening.

kbear

Imm0rt4l said:
damn dude, I can just feel the hate you have for B coming from my monitor.
I can't stand her, man. From the way she dances (like a beached whale flailing around the sand for dear life) to the thievery of other peoples music to that obnoxious and lame as hell "Sasha Fierce" bs.

DY_nasty

If Beyonce is overweight then I guess this really IS a recession.

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
B got a better voice and looks better but..

...its not your lyrics and you're not giving credit to the writter. DISGUSTING

shame B, shame

kbear

Pimpbaa said:
No, YOU have disgusting taste in women. Your view of what is overweight is absolutely sickening.
Ok she's not overweight...I like thick girls just as much as anybody, but I guarantee you she's got a ton of cellulite in those thighs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom