• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Resistance 2 commercial is still amazing

BizzyBum

I was just browsing random gaming vids on YouTube when I noticed this pop up on the right tab and I remembered it being epic seeing it for the first time on TV (which I believe premiered on an episode of Fringe which used to be on Fox). Watching it again and yeah, it's still as great and bone chilling as I remembered it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7DH49WgTEOQ

I still get shivers at the end when the siren plays and the creepy Chimera face appears. It also had some pretty amazing advertising:

resistance2wilshire.jpg

Of course, many people had a lukewarm reception to the game even though it currently stands at 87% on Metacritic (but a 6.0 user average). I thought the game was excellent. Great story, an amazing co-op mode, and large arena/player MP (too bad about the Wraith, though). It's certainly better than the disappointing Resistance 3 and the god awful Vita game Burning Skies which I try to forget it even exists.

What are some other epic commercials besides the obligatory Gears of War?

I started laughing when the guy in the desert appeared. I dunno, it's... I get what they're going for but it feels cornball as hell.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
No one beats Halos ad campaigns but this is pretty good.

I thought Resistance 3 was much better than 2 no? I have yet to play 3, but played 1-2-BS.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
No one beats Halos ad campaigns but this is pretty good.

I thought Resistance 3 was much better than 2 no? I have yet to play 3, but played 1-2-BS.

That's what I feel, but I didn't like 2 at the end of the day. 3 kind of took some steps back towards Resistance 1, while also doing some new things, and I think most folks on GAF who follow the series praise it. OP was a fan of 2 and probably wanted to see the series continue further in that direction, hence the disappointment.

Sean

Banned
I dunno, I find that Resistance ad pretty cheesy. Too many people talking and too much cutting back and forth to the game kinda ruins the mystery aspect of it. I did like the siren bit at the end. A trimmed down more simple ad could've been fantastic.

Gears of War's Mad World commercial is still the one to beat imo.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Remember when Insomniac was considered better than Naughty Dog? When they were the best PS3 devs?

Man, Resistance 2 fucked everything up.

That ad reminded me how awesome R2 was. people praise 3 for the campaign but honestly 2 was also very damn fun and the only real issue i had with it was the shit ending.

Takao

Banned
sony should sell the resistance IP (they own it right?) so that it'll be multiplatform.

Resistance is dead. The only thing that would do is bring on some ports.

Sony stopped making them because the sales peaked with the first game. Each successive entry sold worse. They don't really sell off IPs, and even if they did, I'd be surprised if Insomniac could self fund a new entry. I'm not sure third party publishers would be interested either given the commercial reception to latter entries and Insomnic's other recent work like Fuse and Sunset Overdrive.

I started laughing when the guy in the desert appeared. I dunno, it's... I get what they're going for but it feels cornball as hell.

It's the overly dramatic zoom-in cut right into a guy's face.

Strike

Wasted potential. I still don't understand how they ended up making something that looked so bland, generic, and unfinished. Then it happened again with Fuse. They should never listen to focus testers again.

DrunkDan

I guess I'm in the minority then when I say I didn't like the direction they took the third game in.

So many unanswered questions. The cloven, pure chimera, one shotting Hale even though he became some sort of fucking God who was wiping people out in explosions of blood. The extra moons, cryptic messages and more.

Still, I guess people weren't enjoying that story otherwise it wouldn't have gone the way it did.

NinjaBoiX

I loved Resistance 2, but haven't played R3 yet. Why do people hate 2?
It's just amateurish as fuck, really rough around the edges and poorly executed, it feels like a beta build or something.

R3 is pretty good though, aside from the really bad audio lag.

labaronx

Even if sony doesn't bring back the series they should use the chimera in other ways....

Just imagine if sucker punch decided to make another infamous second son dlc based on the chimera invading Seattle. That would be sweet

Resistance was such a great concept, with many posibilities for art design and story. Too bad it ended buried under the whole "Nazis in space: killzone"

rexor0717

I liked Resistance 2 the most, especially the multiplayer. The campaign was kinda weak though, but the ending was cool.

test_account

XP-39C²
I also think that Resistance 2 online was really cool. I thought it was kinda a pity that Resistance 3 didnt have the 8 player co-op.

Ok this was amazing
I saw it for the first time myself today hehe, it was listed as a related video to the video linked in the OP :)

Resistance is dead. The only thing that would do is bring on some ports.

Sony stopped making them because the sales peaked with the first game. Each successive entry sold worse. They don't really sell off IPs, and even if they did, I'd be surprised if Insomniac could self fund a new entry. I'm not sure third party publishers would be interested either given the commercial reception to latter entries and Insomnic's other recent work like Fuse and Sunset Overdrive.

It's the overly dramatic zoom-in cut right into a guy's face.
If the first game was the best selling I wouldn't even call it a peak. It's a series that just never really took off.

The first one was the best one anyway.

KalBalboa

Banned
I loved Resistance 2, but haven't played R3 yet. Why do people hate 2?

It had a great cooperative mode but an undercooked campaign. It felt like it came in really hot and seemed like it needed more time in development thanks to some weird "hot lava" level design in one stage, an over reliance on scripting, a lack of campaign co-op, and a general B-tier feel when it came to story.

Top Bottom