• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The retro, classic, nostalgic, unmissable anime list thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

CiSTM

Banned
2i0upad.jpg

Slam Dunk (1993) 101 episodes + 4 OVA - Sakuragi Hanamichi is a junior high punk used to getting into fights and being rejected by girls but upon entering high school he meets the girl of his dreams, Haruko Akagi. He will do anything in order to win her heart including joining the school basketball team that is aiming to conquer the nation lead by Haruko's brother. The problem is that Sakuragi has never played basketball before and a freshman sensation is stealing the spotlight and Haruko's affection from him.

EDIT: Great thread, keep up the good work.

Machine

Very nice list. Since you are trying to highlight "overlooked" series, I will forgive the omission of Speed Racer. However, Kimba the White Lion really needs to be on the list. Kimba was pretty influential and is almost completely forgotten.

Calcaneus

Wow, pretty great effort on the list.

Suddenly, I feel like putting more time into catching up in the older shows than wasting time watching more shows each season than I need to.

GCX

2657783.jpg

Ginga: Nagareboshi Gin (Silver Fang) (1986)

Silver Fang is a 21-episode series about a dog Gin who leaves his young master Daisuke to join a pack of wild dogs who plan to fight a deranged bear named Akakabuto and his minions. Anime is based on a manga released in Shonen Jump between 1983 and 1987.
The series became extremely popular in Japan and Nordic countries (Finland, Sweden and Denmark especially) but outside of those only a few people know about it. Here in Finland pretty much every kid watched it and still have fond memories of the show even though large parts were cut because the series was filled with blood and violence. That made many episodes pretty damn confusing but fortunately uncut dvd box exists nowadays.

The awesome opening.

CiSTM

Banned
GCX said:
http://anime.tanuki.pl/screens/5404.jpeg[IMG]

[i]Ginga: Nagareboshi Gin[/i] ([i]Silver Fang[/i]) (1986)

Silver Fang is a 21-episode series about a dog Gin who leaves his young master Daisuke to join a pack of wild dogs who plan to fight a deranged bear named Akakabuto and his minions. Anime is based on a manga released in Shonen Jump between 1983 and 1987.
The series became extremely popular in Japan and Nordic countries (Finland, Sweden and Denmark especially) but outside of those only a few people know about it. Here in Finland pretty much every kid watched it and still have fond memories of the show even though large parts were cut because the series was filled with blood and violence. That made many episodes pretty damn confusing but fortunately uncut dvd box exists nowadays.

[URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4_mrdCI6Rw"]The awesome opening.[/URL][/QUOTE]

Let me guess you are from Scandinavia ? ;) Most likely from Finland.

GCX

CiSTM said:
Let me guess you are from Scandinavia ? ;) Most likely from Finland.
Yep yep, of course. :)

Oh and you even wouldn't had to quess since I already told it in the description text of my last post. ;)

Ganondorfo

Vox-Pop said:
Love Ranma 1/2.
Does anyone remember that anime about a kid soccer player who was in some sort of professional league? I think it aired in Japan in the 80's.

captain tsubasa

CiSTM

Banned
GCX said:
Yep yep, of course. :)

Oh and you even wouldn't had to quess since I already told it in the description text of my last post. ;)

D'oh, I'm blind :lol

EDIT: And my top 5 from OP's list

1. Kimagure Orange Road
2. Maison Ikkoku
3. Touch / Slam Dunk
4. I Can Hear the Sea/Ocean Waves
5. Galaxy Express 999

... And those are pretty much only ones I've seen :( But I will try to catch most of the shows on that list.

Squeak

The great thing about the Anne of Green Gables series (aka Akage no Anne) is that it's very very faithful to the book. Much more so than the sucky real life series. AND at the same time it adds so much of its own with the way the characters are acted and designed and the wonderful wonderful music. Out of Isao Takahata (Ghibli co founder for anyone who doesn't know) many master pieces, this I think, is the greatest.

And again about the golden age of anime in my earlier post, as I said, it was a general statement. I didn't say there wasn't any good stuff after that, only that the massive stream of invention, enthusiasm and quality dried out.

bengraven

Wow, so many anime I had never heard of back in my anime-obsessed days. I still have seen the majority of this, but whole-heartedly support this thread.

That said, Memories is one of those compilation movies that reminds me how only the Asians can do great compilation films (see: Akira Kurosawa's Dreams and Three... Extremes).

Shouta

Hitokage said:
Gunbuster gets props for being the only anime I know of that remembers time progresses differently during light-speed travel, but beyond that I wasn't crazy about it.

Actually, I think World of Narue remembering that fact but that was so they could do a younger Older Sister. :lol

bengraven

Yeah, by the way, props for Ah! My Goddess. I don't know what it is about that series that made a bunch of teenage males become obsessed with it, but we were. There wasn't a lot of grit, violence, or tits in it, which was our primary focus: good lord, Ninja Scroll was our favorite in those days.

S. L.

:bow :bow
Awesome list,
almost all my favorites are in there and I am very pleased to see that my eternal favorite Kimagure Orange Road has not been forgotten.

Hitokage said:
There's also a followup OVA series of sorts that came out in 1989, with a slight change in style but the same fun as the original set of episodes.

Sample:
http://i1292.photobucket.com/albums/b572/hknishino/dirtypairova2_zps1969ac7f.jpg[img]
(These characters are supposed to be 19. Notice how they're not drawn as if they were 9.)

Among the movies, I prefer the Flight 005 Conspiracy.
[/QUOTE]
Love the dirty pair oav, I also enjoy Yuris more refined mature character in the OAVs more.

That said, the 80's anime synthpop'ish opening songs were the fucking best. *swoon*

Amazing list,Now I just need a way to actually acquire the series I have yet to see.

I have not purchased an anime dvd in ages,Does anyone have a good US store that carries these series and ships to the UK?

Koshiba

Great list but I've probably already seen about 90% of those and most of them are actually even on my favorites list in general. :lol One thing I have to say I really miss is cel animation though.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
There are, and always will be, anime that have been left out for various reasons. I wanted to make the list massively huge but the list would've carried on for an entire page. Everything I listed I made sure to watch so there were bound to be some that I couldn't track down and I didn't have the heart to list them.

Some descriptions were overly simplified because I didn't want to spoil too much. I find that choosing something to watch without knowing the majority of it is one of the more rewarding aspects of entertainment.

I also tried to steer clear of Studio Ghibli outside of the fair few that hasn't been released here or were pretty important in terms of how the company came about. I would've killed to have gone all Ghibli on this list, adding some of Takahata's earlier stuff like Gauche or Hols, and as already been mentioned, Anne of Green Gables. But ultimately that section is better left to its own thread where past and present Ghibli is celebrated.

Also great work on adding additional anime in your own posts. Keep it up.

FnordChan

Kudos to speedpop for declaring that we needed a retro anime thread and then making it happen. If it gets anyone here to sit down and watch, say, Maison Ikkoku it'll have all been worth it.

As mentioned, he contacted me and asked for suggestions, at which point I promptly went a bit overboard. If anyone's interested, here's my original list.

Hurrah for classic anime! I'm going to sit here and feel old now.

FnordChan

Slizz

what does a fairly casual anime fan (casual in the sense that i only mainly watch whatevers on adult swim or toonami back in the day whenever i stumbled upon it) choose out of all these shows? preferably one where the whole series isnt too long but overall jus awesome start to finish???

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
jimmbow said:
As much as people hate it, Draognball and Dragonball Z are classics. They should really get added.
I can't speak for Z, but Dragonball is amazing. It really captures a sense of adventure and humor that I wasn't expecting. Especially the humor. I'm reading the manga now and while the tournaments kinda lag, they do seem to pass by faster than the adventure segments which I don't want to end. The first Dragonball search, Red Ribbon, and Piccolo stories are just really awesome. I'm coming up to where Z starts and I'm kind of wary, but the humor hasn't died just yet. (The whole Goku/Chi-chi fight was hilarious.)

suffah

Does maths and stuff
Slizz said:
what does a fairly casual anime fan (casual in the sense that i only mainly watch whatevers on adult swim or toonami back in the day whenever i stumbled upon it) choose out of all these shows? preferably one where the whole series isnt too long but overall jus awesome start to finish???

I've seen almost all of them, they're pretty much all solid. I'd say go get Maison Ikkoku. Damn I love that series.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Slizz said:
That's probably one of the hardest questions to answer. Ultimately it really depends on what you enjoy yourself - action, comedy, romance, etc. Although I didn't list genres on each listing, most of the time the picture speaks for itself. I suppose the best way is to choose something that looks and sounds appealing, maybe hit wikipedia for more information about the series and then go from there.

Wii Will Rock U said:
Where the FUCK is Trigun or Cowboy Bebop on this list? Add those and it will be complete.
I would've added those... if they had been animated before 1995.

harSon

Banned
Awesome, I fucking love you Bro! Just finished Evangelion and while I didn't dig quite as much as some of you, it certainly renewed my interests in anime... particularly some of the early stuff I've never had the pleasure to watch.

Slizz

speedpop said:
That's probably one of the hardest questions to answer. Ultimately it really depends on what you enjoy yourself - action, comedy, romance, etc. Although I didn't list genres on each listing, most of the time the picture speaks for itself. I suppose the best way is to choose something that looks and sounds appealing, maybe hit wikipedia for more information about the series and then go from there.

Gotcha i like YYH so i guess the action comedy route is what i like

S. L. said:
almost all my favorites are in there and I am very pleased to see that my eternal favorite Kimagure Orange Road has not been forgotten.
KOR will always be one of those series I look back at fondest. I watched horrible quality VHS fansubs of it way back in high school, and it had quite an influence on me.

RevenantKioku said:
I can't speak for Z, but Dragonball is amazing. It really captures a sense of adventure and humor that I wasn't expecting.
That is the truth. Dragon Ball, in spite of what it eventually became when the Saiyans showed up, was a true, whimsical adventure classic.

rpmurphy

Kudos for putting Tetsuwan Atom at the top of the list. We could have a thread for all of Tezuka's works from that all the way to Aoi Blink (which I enjoyed as well).

By the way, how is H2 compared to Touch? I've never watched the latter and only watched a couple episodes of the former.

Some stuff to add on the topic of classics that are not very big outside Japan:

Magical Witch Sally (1966)
sari.jpg

It started the whole magical girl theme in anime, which over the years has begotten many such as Minky Momo, Sailor Moon, Cardcaptor Sakura, Saint Tail, etc etc.

Anpanman (1988)
apm.jpg

The most popular super hero children's anime aside from Atom. The premise is bread-food heroes fighting against bacteria scum.

Sazae-san (1969)
200706050.jpg

One of the best running anime for comedy about everyday life and culture.

Doraemon (1973)
DRMN_01.jpg

A cat-like robot from the future that is sent back in time to help his master's ancestor change his future, has a lot of cool gadgets in his pocket (way more awesome than Inspector Gadget :p). Another long-running, popular children's anime series with many movies too. The creator of this series also made Kiteretsu Daihyakka, also a good show but holds many similarities to Doraemon.

Gegege no Kitarou (1968)
Gegege.jpg

Another popular children's anime and an interesting look into Japanese spirit/demon folklore from which the show is based on.

Oishinbo (1988)
A1804-67.jpg

The best culinary themed drama available.

I still remember all of their theme songs too. :lol

Shouta

On the mention of Ranma 1/2. I was in the barbershop the other day when the first op of that show came on over the spakers. It was kind of surreal listening to that while I got my haircut.

itxaka

Defeatist
Lupin, Saint Seya, Tsubasa and Ranma were awesome.

And wow at shin-chan being from 1992!? It just started airing in Spain like 2 years ago :O

womp

The lack of Starblazers/Yamato in this thread is disgusting. And I am not even a big anime fan.

voyagerdvds_01.jpg

Karmacide

g35twinturbo said:
Awesome thread but I am shocked that you have no Cowboy Bebop listed, the story Was to great and the music was superb. I have nostalgia whenever I play the music :D

See post #77.

i_am_ben

running_here_and_there
I wonder if anyone can help me.... Years ago in the late 90s when i was a little kid there was a Japanese cartoon on Australian TV ( the ABC) about two twins, a male and female, who had magic powers (i think when they held hands? its all a bit hazy). it looked like an older style Japanese cartoon with European clothes etc.

Anyway i spent hours trying to search for it on google using exactly the information i just said and came up with nothing (amazing i know)... anyone have an idea?

rpmurphy said:
Sazae-san (1969)
200706050.jpg

One of the best running anime for comedy about everyday life and culture.

Sazae-san was THE Simpsons of Japan looooong before America caught onto the idea of "family" cartoons (Simpsons, King of the Hill, Family Guy, etc.)

FnordChan

teruterubozu said:
Sazae-san was THE Simpsons of Japan looooong before America caught onto the idea of "family" cartoons (Simpsons, King of the Hill, Family Guy, etc.)

Except for the minor detail that The Flintstones predates Sazae-san by about a decade.

By the way, for anyone concerned that their favorite pre-Evangelion anime isn't listed in this thread: instead of bitching about it and possibly posting a picture without context, how about taking a moment to tell people why your favorite show is worth their time?

FnordChan

wRATH2x

Banned
Blablurn said:
captain_tsubasa03.jpg

Captain Tsbasa (1983)

A classic for every football and anime fan.
Damn FUCKING Right!!!!!!

It was called captain majid here and was really popular during the 80s and 90s.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom