• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The retro, classic, nostalgic, unmissable anime list thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
suffah said:
You think she recycles her own stuff? Heh, you should see how many series have ripped off her ideas.
Urusei Yatsura and such are insanely influential. You can almost trace the development of such influence over time.

Hell, there was an anime last year that was pretty much a character for character remake.

wRATH2x

Banned
NeoGAFFer said:
230px-TigerMaskanime2.jpg

Tiger Mask:
wrestling anime.

恐竜大戦争アイゼンボーグ (the Arabic version was called "The Iron Man", don't know what's its officially called in NA)
Dinosaurs VS a human robot filmed in real life = WIN.
Oh hells yeah!!!!!!!

J2d

I love Fist of the North Star, I wish they released that megabox in the west. Sadly the new stuff doesn't do anything for me.

EviLore said:
Jojo's Bizarre Adventure OVA (1993-1994 and 2000-2002)

jojo.jpg

No, DBZ and YYH don't need any more attention, and they're also not exactly great shows overall. If there's one shounen fighting series that stands above the rest and is overlooked by most it's Jojo's (well, and HxH but that doesn't apply to this thread). The R1 DVDs are out of print and only available on the secondary market, but I tracked them down and, man, what a treat this show is. Due to being an OVA it's fast paced and well animated, but it's also clever and unapologetically brutal and -- for the insane climax -- totally spectacular. Follow Jotaro and his comrades as they track down Dio, the glittery rockstar vampire and his minions, each side dueling the other in exotic locations and with unique Stand abilities. Legendary character designs and legendary quirkiness permeate every frame.

They so need to animate part 2, too bad the part 1 movie was such a bomb, looks like it killed any future animation projects.

ChryZ

polyh3dron said:
y'know what, I watched Gunbuster: The Movie on Blu-ray and liked it, but it didn't blow me away. Is the series a whole lot better than the movie version?
Go watch the OVAs, more main/side character development and more back story about the universe.

The movies are for established fans of the OVAs and they aren't substitutions,but supplementary remixes.

womp said:
The lack of Starblazers/Yamato in this thread is disgusting. And I am not even a big anime fan.

voyagerdvds_01.jpg
Thank you! Was shocked this wasn't listed. I'd suggest the Herlock series but I've only seen the butchered Capt Harlock and The Queen of 1000 years version.

Wonderful topic.

Gunbuster is the best anime ever made if you really ask me. Its a shame a lot of anime on that list is hardly appreciated.

Giant Robo is probably one of the most deep anime out there yet very few people know what it is.

Akira still looks amazing.

As an 18 year old anime fan I obviously meet anime fans my age but they are into all this new anime and would never watch something like Giant Robo, Gunbuster, or Macross because of the character designs. A shame really because those shows still are quite good.

Anyway I recently got the Gunbuster/Diebuster movie on Blu Ray. Gunbuster looks fantastic. Hell the Bandai visual dvd looked fantastic. The show just looks fantastic.

Anyway this list is missing some Armored Trooper Vottoms.

BitchTits

vas_a_morir said:
And the Domineering old woman with beak-looking mouth (every series)

I'm working my way through all of her major series. So far, I'd rank them: Maison Ikkoku>Urusei>Ranma>Inuyasha. Anybody who can make millions and millions of dollars out of the whole "Guy and girl who live together refuse to admit they like each other for 8 years" premise by reusing it 5 times over is impressive.
:lol True about the old woman characters.

I love Rumiko Takahashi's work. I've yet to see more than a couple dozen episodes of Urusei Yatsura, but I watched the whole of Ranma, and have all of Maison Ikkoku boxsets (I'm about 1/2 way through the series). Maison Ikkoku is by far my favorite Anime of all time, it's never anything less than a joy to watch. I love the pacing of the show.

Inuyasha is an odd one, I've only seen the first episode but I couldn't get into it at all. I should give it another shot.

Great thread BTW.

ChryZ

I finally found the time to read up. Congrats, very well put together thread. I'm feeling really old now, but I do got stuff like Gunbuster, Nadia, Captain Tylor, Vampire Princess Miyu, Battle Angel Alita on freaking Laserdisc. Let me add a few of my old school favs:

img55304026.jpg

Battle Angel Alita (1993), known in Japan as Gunnm, is a manga series created by Yukito Kishiro in 1990 and originally published in Shueisha's Business Jump magazine. Two of the nine-volume comics were adapted into two anime original video animation episodes.

cover.jpg

Vampire Princess Miyu (1988) is a Japanese horror manga series by Narumi Kakinouchi and Toshiki Hirano, as well as an anime adaptation by the same creators. The anime was originally presented in a 4-episode OVA.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Two OVA's from 1994, I feel bad for forgetting.

Key The Metal Idol (1994)

51985NEE60L._SS500_.jpg

The central character of the story is Mima Tokiko (aka "Key"). Key is a robot, crafted by her scientist "grandfather", Mima Murao. Every year, on her birthday, "grandpa" builds Key a new body--one size larger. Upon his deathbed, Murao reveals that Key no longer has to remain a robot: she can become human with the aid of 30,000 friends. Key must do this quickly before her battery runs down. However, some very powerful men are after Key and the secrets her body contains.

With concept art by Kunihiko Tanaka of Xenogears fame.

IRIA (1994)

Iria_-_Zeiram_the_Animation.jpg

The story begins with Iria as an apprentice to her older brother, Gren, a veteran bounty hunter, and his partner Bob, who work for Ghomvak Security along with a somewhat loutish hunter named Fujikuro. During a rescue mission to a hi-jacked spaceship called the Karma, they discover that the hi-jacker is actually a seemingly indestructible alien called Zeiram that broke out of the cargo hold during transit and began to massacre the crew. Bob is critically wounded by Zeiram while evacuating the survivors, and Gren is lost while attempting to kill Zeiram by destroying the Karma. Returning to Myce, Iria finds herself targeted by assassins working for Tedan Tippedai, the corporation that owned the Karma, and discovers a covered-up plot to control Zeiram in order to use it as a weapon. Iria escapes with the help of Fujikuro and reunites with Bob, who never recovered from his injuries but had his mind downloaded into a computer program. Together they continue to investigate rumours that Zeiram has appeared on Myce, and try to find out what happened to Gren, who also seems to have survived the Karma's destruction...

First voice actress I was ever a fan of was Aya Hisakawa

S. L.

ChryZ said:
I finally found the time to read up. Congrats, very well put together thread. I'm feeling really old now, but I do got stuff like Gunbuster, Nadia, Captain Tylor, Vampire Princess Miyu, Battle Angel Alita on freaking Laserdisc. Let me add a few of my old school favs:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v215/Brainshrimp/img55304026.jpg[IMG]
[b]Battle Angel Alita[/b] (1993), known in Japan as [b]Gunnm[/b], is a manga series created by Yukito Kishiro in 1990 and originally published in Shueisha's Business Jump magazine. Two of the nine-volume comics were adapted into two anime original video animation episodes.
[/QUOTE]
never watched the Altia anime but the Manga is pretty awesome

Ifrit

trejo said:
excellent list! Though I must say I was kinda dissapointed with the lack of Saint Seiya in it.

The show's all about epic stair climbing and flowing rivers of manly tears. I love it.

Plus, it has an absolutely badass opening.

Too bad the spaniards made me put up with this for so many years.

:lol So true, when I finally watched the japanese/original OP I was blown away as how good it was and the song kick ass.

Captain Tsubasa and Mazinger Z should also be on that list.

Hitokage said:
Urusei Yatsura and such are insanely influential. You can almost trace the development of such influence over time.

Hell, there was an anime last year that was pretty much a character for character remake.

Hell yeah people rip off of her for the past 30 years. When something is successful, it's a no brainer that people want to give people what they think will be successful.

Character for character remake? Which one are you talking about? There were several shows about magical girl showing up and forcing a dude to marry her. To Love-Ru for example had a very similar plot to Urusei Yatsura. (Except it SUCKED!)

Venus Wars (1989)

venus.jpg

The newly colonized frontier of Venus has degenerated into a dystopia ravaged by a civil war between two opposing powers, Ishtar and Aphrodia. Reporter Susan Sommers arrives in the capitol of Aphrodia just before the Ishtar army invades. She falls in with a team of teenagers who compete in violent, but hugely popular, motorized uni-bike races. When life in Aphrodia is disrupted by the Ishtar invasion, daredevil rider Hiro and his team reluctantly join the struggle to free Aphrodia from the grips of Ishtar.

Anyone else a fan of this film? Venus Wars was one of the first animes I ever saw, the animation is excellent throughout and despite being a bit long winded, badly dubbed and not half as violent as other animes, I still enjoyed it hugely. Would kill for a re-release on blu-ray.

ChryZ

S. L. said:
never watched the Altia anime but the Manga is pretty awesome
You should check it out. The action is very well animated, but the OVA is pretty short though. Only like 60-70 minutes in total.

Holy shit, I just saw this on IMDB while verifying the OVA's length:

Battle Angel (2011)

Director: James Cameron
Writers: Yukito Kishiro (graphic novels) and James Cameron (writer)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0437086/

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
vas_a_morir said:
Character for character remake? Which one are you talking about? There were several shows about magical girl showing up and forcing a dude to marry her. To Love-Ru for example had a very similar plot to Urusei Yatsura. (Except it SUCKED!)
Seto no Hanayome. At least shows like Tenchi Muyo came up with their own cast.

smoothj

Regulus Tera said:
THIS

THIS TIMES A THOUSAND

Plus, SAINT SEIYA SAINT SEIYA SAINT SEIYA SAINT SEIYA SAINT SEIYA SAINT SEIYA SAINT SEIYA SAINT SEIYA SAINT SEIYA SAINT SEIYA SAINT SEIYA SAINT SEIYA SAINT SEIYA SAINT SEIYA SAINT SEIYA SAINT SEIYA SAINT SEIYA SAINT SEIYA SAINT SEIYA SAINT SEIYA SAINT SEIYA SAINT SEIYA SAINT SEIYA SAINT SEIYA SAINT SEIYA SAINT SEIYA SAINT SEIYA SAINT SEIYA SAINT SEIYA SAINT SEIYA SAINT SEIYA SAINT SEIYA SAINT SEIYA SAINT SEIYA SAINT SEIYA SAINT SEIYA SAINT SEIYA SAINT SEIYA SAINT SEIYA SAINT SEIYA SAINT SEIYA SAINT SEIYA SAINT SEIYA SAINT SEIYA SAINT SEIYA SAINT SEIYA SAINT SEIYA SAINT SEIYA SAINT SEIYA SAINT SEIYA SAINT SEIYA SAINT SEIYA SAINT SEIYA SAINT SEIYA SAINT SEIYA SAINT SEIYA SAINT SEIYA SAINT SEIYA SAINT SEIYA SAINT SEIYA SAINT SEIYA SAINT SEIYA SAINT SEIYA SAINT SEIYA SAINT SEIYA SAINT SEIYA SAINT SEIYA SAINT SEIYA SAINT SEIYA SAINT SEIYA SAINT SEIYA SAINT SEIYA SAINT SEIYA SAINT SEIYA SAINT SEIYA

Known as Los Caballeros del Zodiaco or a variant in some countries. :p

ah man it takes me back remembering the theme song..

caaaaballeros del zo-dia-a-co.... good times

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Ifrit said:
:lol So true, when I finally watched the japanese/original OP I was blown away as how good it was and the song kick ass.

Captain Tsubasa and Mazinger Z should also be on that list.

The openings for Los Caballeros del Zodiaco were re-dubbed for the re-runs Cartoon Network did a few years ago:

Pegasus Fantasy

The one from the Asgard saga whose name I forget Soldier Dream

For those who do not know, here is the opening those born between 1985-1990 grew up with.

trejo said:
Too bad the spaniards made me put up with this for so many years.

I think it was the French who made the original song, not the Spaniards.

ChryZ

Yeah, the thread is working. I've never had full access to Captain Harlock, but a buddy helped out and I started watching it today.

Good stuff, I love Leiji's ladies ... so graceful and magnificent :D

Gilgamesh said:
Macross Plus (1994)

It's criminal that it's not been said already.

It's mentioned under Super Dimensional Fortress Macross.

And since we've had requests for more essential 80's mecha, you can't go wrong with Armored Trooper Votoms and Space Runaway Ideon, especially Ideon since it highly influenced Anno when creating Evangelion.

Rahxephon91 said:
As an 18 year old anime fan I obviously meet anime fans my age but they are into all this new anime and would never watch something like Giant Robo, Gunbuster, or Macross because of the character designs. A shame really because those shows still are quite good.
If you ask me, sometimes the old character design styles are just better. (Of course, I'm 30...) But, in terms of ongoing series, Gundam now vs. Gundam then, Gundam then is much better. No fucking girly-boy leads.

I love the old character designs from the 70's and 80's. Yoshikazu Kazuhiko (Gundam, Zeta Gundam, etc.) and Leiji Matsumoto are my all-time favorites.

harSon

Banned
I'm on the last episode of Gunbuster and... it's in fucking Black & White?! :lol I'm guessing this is another case of Gainex running out of funding?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
harSon said:
I'm on the last episode of Gunbuster and... it's in fucking Black & White?! :lol I'm guessing this is another case of Gainex running out of funding?
I thought the same thing :lol

Watch Diebuster then GaoGaiGar ;)

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
harSon said:

I think the only series in which GAINAX didn't run out of money were Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann, Top wo Nerae! 2 and FLCL. :lol

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
distantmantra said:
And since we've had requests for more essential 80's mecha, you can't go wrong with Armored Trooper Votoms and Space Runaway Ideon, especially Ideon since it highly influenced Anno when creating Evangelion.
Speaking of which, there's a lot in Nadia that can be seen as precursors to Evangelion, particularly right before Anno leaves the project.
When the first officer confronts the Captain, then tries to kill herself. That's when it shifts from its early Conan/Laputa feel to a completely Evangelion feel.

Regulus Tera said:
Actually here in Portugal we didn't got an opening what we got though was the show in full japanese but for some reason no intro or ending. We didn't got all the episodes as well because some parents claimed the show was too violent for kids, bah!

Some 10 years later with DBZ's sucess we finally got all the episodes, but this time with awful intro and awful dubs.

Looking back now it's funny how back in the 80's we got so many good undubbed shows, I even remember some Turbo Rangers like show which had a robot with a football (American not European football).

lastendconductor

Put your snobby liquids into my mouth!
harSon said:
It's intentional. It's in panoramic and black and white to give it a more "epic" feel. To be honest, I would've preferred it to be colored but I can see why they did it. Anyway, you have to watch Diebuster now... trust me, even it if feels terrible, in the end it'll be worth it.

Dyno

Great thread! Brings back a lot of memories. Where this list end is about when I stopped watching it on a regular basis. What got me into anime was a show called Force Five in the 80's. It consisted of five different shows originally aired in Japan in the mid 70's.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
So hey, Crunchyroll just added nice legal streams of the 1978 Galaxy Express 999 series and the 1978 Captain Harlock series.

Episodes 1 and 2 are up now for Galaxy Express, episode 1 of Harlock. They'll presumably be updated regularly.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
DKnight said:
Crunchyroll -> "sorry, this video is not avaiable in your region :("
:(
:lol
You have to wait 5 days to view this or get a prem account

Or better yet

Connection cut after 5minutes.

Scarecrow

I just watched Akira today at work. Was pretty cool. Blown away by the animation (which I'm usually let down by with anime).

Any suggestions for more kinda-post apocalyptic anime?

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Halfway through Rose of Versailles... and well, the French Revolution is to this show as American geography is to this map:

how-japan-sees-america.jpg

DKnight said:
I just came here to say that Gunbuster is the best anime known to man.
I've only watched the movie version that's on BD and I was pretty underwhelmed with it being Gainax and all. Like Evilore said, the fucking fan service was pretty bad and at least in the movie version I didn't really give a shit about most of the characters, and didn't get enough backstory on the admittedly cool looking monsters.

Is the series that much better?

Also, last night I watched Fist Of The North Star for the first time and was REALLY underwhelmed. The story was pretty stupid and the fights were way too short and not as epic as I had been led to believe. It was also some REALLY shitty animation compared to what else was coming out around that time (Honneamise, Akira)

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
polyh3dron said:
Also, last night I watched Fist Of The North Star for the first time and was REALLY underwhelmed. The story was pretty stupid and the fights were way too short and not as epic as I had been led to believe. It was also some REALLY shitty animation compared to what else was coming out around that time (Honneamise, Akira)
It's not a movie to be taken seriously.

polyh3dron said:

Did body parts explode? Y/Y

Was it awesome? Y/Y

NO N, NEVER N WITH HOKUTO NO KEN

lastendconductor

Put your snobby liquids into my mouth!
Scarecrow said:
I just watched Akira today at work. Was pretty cool. Blown away by the animation (which I'm usually let down by with anime).

Any suggestions for more kinda-post apocalyptic anime?
Like Akira? I'd recommend Ghost in the Shell (the film), which is fucking great, but it's 1995 so I don't know if it's allowed in this thread.
Alita is awesome and it's 1993 thought.

Also, I just remembered; Macross: Do You Remember Love is awesome and you guys should watch it.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
polyh3dron said:

BANLIST!!!!!1

Incidentally, I just picked up .hack and the entire Sword of the Stranger and Freedom Blu Ray boxsets. Are they good?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom